"Fatkinis"

Options

Replies

• Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    First and foremost, I just want to say that I was blown away by the overwhelming backlash at OP in defense of fat people being able to wear whatever they want. That being said, thank you to all of the people who did that. Since MFP is a weight loss website, I expected the majority of posters to firmly agree with OP, but I'm so happy that people are starting to see that hate and judgment only hurt others. It really brightened my day. c:

I think fatkinis are beautiful, that bodies are beautiful, and that any type of body can be clothed in whatever the owner of said body wishes to put on it. ♥
  • rdahlquist42
    rdahlquist42 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't concern myself with what other people wear. If a 500lb lady wants to rock a string bikini then that's neat. If affects my life zero percent. Me getting all judgy about her isn't going to change anything.

Can I acknowledge that her lifestyle is unhealthy? Hell yeah. Would I wear that? Hell no. But it's her life, her decisions.

Agreed.

Also want to add that there are many factors that go into why a person may be obese. To assume that someone is not motivated or lazy because they carry extra weight is b.s. I know beautiful women who have dieted and exercised for years only to continue to be overweight. They hate themselves for failing amd that makes me sad. You may not love your body or the way you look in a bikini, but what do you have against an overweight person loving their body? Does the fat make them unworthy of self-love? Being healthy starts first with loving yourself. I don't exercise or eat healthy because I hate myself. I do it out of love for the amazing creation my body is. I'm still overweight by society's standards but I can guarantee that I am healthier than most people I know. I can also kick most people's butt in the gym. Why should I allow your shame of your body make me ashamed of mine? I weigh 184 lbs and if I want to wear a bikini I have just as much right to as someone smaller. You have the right to not look if you don't want to.

^^^ THIS!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%!

People should begin to grasp the fact that obesity is a HEALTH problem, not a simple matter of looks and start treating it as what it is: A DISEASE that must be tackled and dealt with by everyone.

LOL !!!!! I say epidemic, but I disagree with the AMA on the disease part. Lack of personal responsibility is the problem. Now if someone suddenly comes out and says lack of personal responsibility is a disease, then I guess obesity is then.

OBESITY IS A CHOICE!!!!

As for the thread, I don't give a flying pig what anyone else wears.. I only care what I wear and whether I look good in it or not

Obesity is NOT a choice for many people. Being ignorant of that fact is a choice.

Actually it is unless you have a serious medical condition e.g. thyroid issues which may make normal eating to lead to weight gain (but not limited to this). I have the right to an opinion so name call all you want, it doesn't change that obesity is NOT a disease. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head saying, scarf down exorbitant portions of food to the point where you have given yourself a health problem. Sorry.

I did not call you a name. I said that you were ignorant of the fact that for many people being obese is not a choice. Now, you are choosing to qualify your statement by making an exception for medical conditions. Can you look at someone and see if they are obese from a medical condition? I can't. To just say that people are obese because they choose to eat to much is at best oversimplifying the problem. There are many factors that can contribute to it and to make a blanket statement does in fact show ignorance of those factors.

That is name calling. But don't worry, I'm not offended I just wanted to call you out on it. :smile:

So, do you have the answers to America's obesity problems? Because everyone else around the world thinks that AMA labeling obesity as a disease is nothing but a big joke (no pun intended) and that in fact, quality/portion size of food as a lot to do with this problem. Merely because my post is not five long paragraphs asserting these unnamed factors does not mean that I am ignorant to them. I am quite aware of them - I just have the opinion that like I said before, no one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to overeat nor should anyone have to hold your hand to make sure you exercise. Anyone can overcome anything if they put their mind to it. I had a bad childhood and suffered from depression in my teens up until this year when I decided to get off my butt and stop feeling sorry for myself. I get why people overeat - I just CHOOSE not to be that person anymore. No one can force me to make good choices, only I can make my choices. I certainly should NOT have to pay taxes towards a disability claim for obesity for someone else who made their own choices in life. That's BS.
  • athyraslove
    athyraslove Posts: 145
    Options
    OK - I know I'm going to get ALL KINDS of crap from re-posting this on my facebook page with comments as some people are still in denial that "being fat" is OK and accepted and all that garbage. But here... I know we all know better. SO.... take a look at this article about this line of "fatkinis" made for women sizes 10-24. What are your thoughts?

1) IMHO Size 10 is not "fat". Hell, that's a goal size for me.
    2) Does this not endorse the feelings of "well its too hard for me to lose weight so I'll just go buy bigger pants" issue that americans and overweight people all over the world face? I don't say this to mean that "fat people should cover themselves with a moo moo cuz nobody wants to see that" but... its like they're glamorizing being overweight... particularly with the name "fatkini" WTF?
    3) Personally... I do have a bikini... which is worn in my backyard in my hot tub and nowhere else because I feel that people should dress appropriate for their body type... meaning.... if you have blubber.. you should wear a 1 piece or atleast a tankini that covers it up. That's just how I feel about myself. Maybe in 40# when I have a little more toned midsection I will begin to wear a "bikini" out in public.

Again... I'm overweight... so I'm not trying to be mean... I just feel like our society brushes all this stuff under the rug and they're saying... look.. it's OK to be morbidly obese! Celebrate your unhealthiness! Not cool. What do you think?

http://www.registerguard.com/rg/life/healthandfitness/30030758-71/westfall-app-weight-chris-pounds.html.csp

Wow OP...don't you think you're being kinda rude? :noway: Sure you're entitled to your opinion, but really?!

Did you know it's unhealthy to smoke? So smokers that smoke in public are "Not Cool." Because they are "Celebrating their unhealthiness!" :smokin:

Did you know it's unhealthy to eat fast food?!? So anyone leaving a McDonalds should be shamed & mocked. Because they are flaunting their right to choose what to eat. Right? :drinker:

Did you know it's unhealthy to be out in the sun too much? So all of you tan people. COVER UP! Because we don't want to see your unhealthy tan body, it's unhealthy so stop flaunting it! :glasses:

The list goes on and on. If bigger girls have the confidence to wear a bikini, MORE POWER TO THEM! If they want to lose weight & get fit, MORE POWER TO THEM! Who are you to decide what a woman should wear? LoL! Some people's kids...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    ^Love this!
  • nak1a
    nak1a Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    fatikinis are bikinis for fat people. that simple. if a woman is a size 24 and is still comfortable & confident wearing a bikini at the public pool, then more power to her. if you are overweight and NEVER would wear a bikini until you are a certain size, then that is your personal choice. my problem is when overweight women project their own insecurities with their bodies on OTHER overweight women. when women say..."i'm smaller than her and i wouldn't wear that!" or "i'm her size and i'd never wear that!". fat women shouldn't be relegated to wear certain kinds of swimwear in order to look "flattering" or cover up. if a fat woman wants to rock a bikini, i say you go girl!!
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

It, but I've been kinda stalking your progress here since February, I think, and want to say your results is what encouraged me to give 30ds another go. It was nice to see a woman who 'looks' like me getting results.

Ahem. Carry on.

:flowerforyou: Aw, that's real sweet (and made my day)! Don't ever give up on what you want in life because no one will give you what you want other than you :love: :smile: I hope 30DS gave you great results - I really love that program!
  • MyChange4Life
    Options
    OK - I know I'm going to get ALL KINDS of crap from re-posting this on my facebook page with comments as some people are still in denial that "being fat" is OK and accepted and all that garbage. But here... I know we all know better. SO.... take a look at this article about this line of "fatkinis" made for women sizes 10-24. What are your thoughts?

1) IMHO Size 10 is not "fat". Hell, that's a goal size for me.
    2) Does this not endorse the feelings of "well its too hard for me to lose weight so I'll just go buy bigger pants" issue that americans and overweight people all over the world face? I don't say this to mean that "fat people should cover themselves with a moo moo cuz nobody wants to see that" but... its like they're glamorizing being overweight... particularly with the name "fatkini" WTF?
    3) Personally... I do have a bikini... which is worn in my backyard in my hot tub and nowhere else because I feel that people should dress appropriate for their body type... meaning.... if you have blubber.. you should wear a 1 piece or atleast a tankini that covers it up. That's just how I feel about myself. Maybe in 40# when I have a little more toned midsection I will begin to wear a "bikini" out in public.

Again... I'm overweight... so I'm not trying to be mean... I just feel like our society brushes all this stuff under the rug and they're saying... look.. it's OK to be morbidly obese! Celebrate your unhealthiness! Not cool. What do you think?

http://www.registerguard.com/rg/life/healthandfitness/30030758-71/westfall-app-weight-chris-pounds.html.csp

No, this doesn't celebrate unhealthiness, its just clothing. And to this
    "denial that "being fat" is OK and accepted and all that garbage",
    Its better for a person to accept it and accept themselves. Its alot easier to become and stay healthy when you're in a positive mindset and accept yourself fully.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    lol...if I was wearing a bikini and someone like OP walked up to me and said I shouldn't be wearing it, I would probably pinch my belly fat and make it talk and make it tell her to kiss my fat *kitten*. And then I'd sit down and tuck my knees to my chest and lean forward, because that's how I roll.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have a disability that precludes me from caring what other people wear. You know what's sexy? Confidence.
  • athyraslove
    athyraslove Posts: 145
    Options
    26.1n003.fatkini--300x300.jpg

forever21-fatkini.jpg

These are what you're all offended over OP? These supportive and lovely two pieces that, lets keep it real, actually cover a fair amount? Would you prefer larger women wear ugly swim dresses or perhaps sacks? OR maybe they should just stay inside naked, since making cute clothes in plus sizes encourages them to stay large, clearly.

Whatever. I think their cute.
    ^ I like this. I have rolls. I'm trying to build up the confidence to wear a bikini, I never have before even when I was at a "healthy" weight because I was afraid of what people would think. I don't care what other people wear. Why should you? If you don't feel comfortable in a bikini why do you own one and stay in your backyard? Because it makes you feel good wearing one. Someone overweight wearing clothes that make them feel pretty does not encourage them to stay over weight. It helps them get out of the house and socialize, giving them the opportunity to love themselves and finally feel they are worth all the effort it takes to lose weight. One pieces are not always flattering or even cover much. The two pieces pictured cover more than a lot of the one pieces I see.

People who say things like what you posted are a big part of the reason I never felt comfortable in my own skin. I have stretch marks, people say you shouldn't wear things that show them because having a child is something to be embarrassed about. I have always been curvy, I should never wear anything that shows it off because that's disgusting, only size 8 and below has the right to wear shorts and camis and bikinis. Anyone with a bust size over a C should never be allowed to show cleavage because it's "trashy".

I don't dress for your comfort. I don't dress for anyone else but myself. I will not wear a turtle neck year round because I have boobs. No one else should have to either. I've heard this in reverse, that "twigs shouldn't strut around in skimpy clothes because skin and bone is disgusting and promotes an unhealthy lifestyle of anorexia. BULL TO THAT. Everyone has a different body type, that should be celebrated not squashed down and out of us. Wear whatever the heck you feel comfortable in.

It's body shaming in either direction and it's sad.
    Agreed.
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    lol...if I was wearing a bikini and someone like OP walked up to me and said I shouldn't be wearing it, I would probably pinch my belly fat and make it talk and make it tell her to kiss my fat *kitten*. And then I'd sit down and tuck my knees to my chest and lean forward, because that's how I roll.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    OMG I love this!!!! You're awesome!!! :heart:
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I tried shopping for a swimsuit today.

I'm a size 4-6.

I didn't dare wear a bikini, and the tankinis just looked like sacks on my odd shaped body. I left the stores feeling ashamed, fat and ugly. We have this 'one size fits all' mentality where we really should be focusing on what we think and feel looks good on us. I didn't feel attractive in anything I tried on. Whether it would be offensive to someone else wasn't on my mind.

I hope you find something that works for you on your next trip. Bathing suit season tends to be difficult for a lot of us for one reason or another. If tankinis don't work for your shape try something else. Try on all the bathing suits! Or, take a friend with you, someone whose opinion you trust.

Aw, thanks for your comment! I just really hate that it looks one way on the hanger and a complete other way on my body. I know my body shape pretty well and it's difficult when everything is cut the same. I had to call it a night and I think I'm going to head to a bigger department store tomorrow. Sadly no friends to take with, but I'll try to be more open-minded.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    you should love your body at every size. You shouldn't wait to wear a bikini just because it might make someone else uncomfortable
  • ivette52490
    ivette52490 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    People should be allowed to wear whatever they please :) if you don't like it, then don't look, it's not like people dress up for you. 27df424b1f2b33fc57a9ef87e5661770ca60fca6_m.gif:flowerforyou:
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I have a disability that precludes me from caring what other people wear. You know what's sexy? Confidence.

100%!!!
  • jamie11k
    jamie11k Posts: 82
    Options
    26.1n003.fatkini--300x300.jpg

forever21-fatkini.jpg

These are what you're all offended over OP? These supportive and lovely two pieces that, lets keep it real, actually cover a fair amount? Would you prefer larger women wear ugly swim dresses or perhaps sacks? OR maybe they should just stay inside naked, since making cute clothes in plus sizes encourages them to stay large, clearly.

Whatever. I think their cute.

Wow, I love these suits! The models look great and I would feel just as confident in something so flattering. GOOD FOR THEM!! I HATE the name, and would be embarrassed to purchase one because of it. I disagree with the OP because women should wear what makes them feel beautiful, and that is very hard to find, especially when you don't "fit the norm"!

OH- and size 10? Not very big. That's where society could use a perspective shift.
  • nikiste
    nikiste Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give you a quick list of DO's and DON'T's in social situations, OP.

DO:
    Respect others' rights to wear what they want.
    Accept that every body is different.
    Expect people to lose weight for themselves.

DON'T:
    Try to confine people to the mainstream beauty standards.
    Support the fashion industry's fatphobia.
    Expect people to lose weight to please you and/or society at large.

I hope this brief tutorial will help you understand. Have a nice evening, stay well! :)
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I don't give a crap what people like the OP think of the way I look or how I dress. And I'm so glad to read this thread and see so many people agreeing that it's ok for fat people to have clothing choices too, and to wear what they want, and to enjoy life even though they're fat. When I think about all the things in life I would miss out on if I worried about how I would look doing them- well, that would be a much bigger tragedy than the way I look wearing a swimsuit. Any swimsuit. Anywhere. You know what a bikini body is? It's a body in a bikini. Period.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I tried shopping for a swimsuit today.

I'm a size 4-6.

I didn't dare wear a bikini, and the tankinis just looked like sacks on my odd shaped body. I left the stores feeling ashamed, fat and ugly. We have this 'one size fits all' mentality where we really should be focusing on what we think and feel looks good on us. I didn't feel attractive in anything I tried on. Whether it would be offensive to someone else wasn't on my mind.

I hope you find something that works for you on your next trip. Bathing suit season tends to be difficult for a lot of us for one reason or another. If tankinis don't work for your shape try something else. Try on all the bathing suits! Or, take a friend with you, someone whose opinion you trust.

Aw, thanks for your comment! I just really hate that it looks one way on the hanger and a complete other way on my body. I know my body shape pretty well and it's difficult when everything is cut the same. I had to call it a night and I think I'm going to head to a bigger department store tomorrow. Sadly no friends to take with, but I'll try to be more open-minded.

Yeah, I've tried on some things that look really cute on the hanger and end up very quickly replacing them on the hanger once I see how "I" look in it. Of course I've tried on things that I thought were awful on the hanger and ended up buying them. Stupid clothes.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    fatikinis are bikinis for fat people. that simple. if a woman is a size 24 and is still comfortable & confident wearing a bikini at the public pool, then more power to her. if you are overweight and NEVER would wear a bikini until you are a certain size, then that is your personal choice. my problem is when overweight women project their own insecurities with their bodies on OTHER overweight women. when women say..."i'm smaller than her and i wouldn't wear that!" or "i'm her size and i'd never wear that!". fat women shouldn't be relegated to wear certain kinds of swimwear in order to look "flattering" or cover up. if a fat woman wants to rock a bikini, i say you go girl!!

Another great post from nak1a on this topic. And I'll just add one thought: it's psychologically unhealthy to put one's life on hold because you're "too fat" for anything in life! The idea that I won't live an active live, I'll just HIDE FROM LIFE until I lose weight, is all too common, and an idea that is hard to recognize and overcome in oneself (I'm frequently guilty of it!). So saying that there shouldn't be nice clothes for fat people "because it just encourages them" is THE WORST. And the idea that clothes specifically encouraging an ACTIVE LIFESTYLE -- swimwear -- is WORSE THAN THAT EVEN.

Go home, body shamers -- you're drunk.