"Fatkinis"

Options

Replies

• malbyrd
    malbyrd Posts: 8
    Options
    People of all sizes should have good clothing choices. However, people should dress for their size and age. Bikinis are for very thin and young girls. There are such lovely one piece or tankkinis. They look soo nice on larger and/or older women. I have never been a bikini size and now not of the age. I have had some wonderfully lovely one-piece suits.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem.

I want the modest, ruched swim dresses that you only see in the plus size section - and I need them in small and x-small. They're extremely flattering on every figure.

This whole trend of wearing string bikinis really doesn't suit my body or that of most women !
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    People of all sizes should have good clothing choices. However, people should dress for their size and age. Bikinis are for very thin and young girls. There are such lovely one piece or tankkinis. They look soo nice on larger and/or older women. I have never been a bikini size and now not of the age. I have had some wonderfully lovely one-piece suits.

Nope, on so many accounts I won't bother listing them all.
  • NatureChik1985
    Options

So people should go by your standards when it comes to what they should wear? Wow I don't even know where to start with this little gem of a post.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    God, I find it hard enough to go on holiday and wear flimsy Summer clothes, thanks a lot.

Nothing wrong with those swim suits either.

Also, it's my opinion that one pieces make me look fatter than bikinis. So, if you have it your way, disgusting people like me will just stay indoors from now on, in bed, covered in sheets so as not to offend anyone.
  • nak1a
    nak1a Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    fatikinis are bikinis for fat people. that simple. if a woman is a size 24 and is still comfortable & confident wearing a bikini at the public pool, then more power to her. if you are overweight and NEVER would wear a bikini until you are a certain size, then that is your personal choice. my problem is when overweight women project their own insecurities with their bodies on OTHER overweight women. when women say..."i'm smaller than her and i wouldn't wear that!" or "i'm her size and i'd never wear that!". fat women shouldn't be relegated to wear certain kinds of swimwear in order to look "flattering" or cover up. if a fat woman wants to rock a bikini, i say you go girl!!

Another great post from nak1a on this topic. And I'll just add one thought: it's psychologically unhealthy to put one's life on hold because you're "too fat" for anything in life! The idea that I won't live an active live, I'll just HIDE FROM LIFE until I lose weight, is all too common, and an idea that is hard to recognize and overcome in oneself (I'm frequently guilty of it!). So saying that there shouldn't be nice clothes for fat people "because it just encourages them" is THE WORST. And the idea that clothes specifically encouraging an ACTIVE LIFESTYLE -- swimwear -- is WORSE THAN THAT EVEN.

Go home, body shamers -- you're drunk.

i connect with the coolest people on MFP! :heart: :flowerforyou: Excellent follow-up. I'm am guilty of that as well, thinking I am "too fat" to do certain things & to go certain places and yes it is extremely psychologically damaging because you feel stuck in a place waiting for your life to began. that is no way to live. its just not living at all. so yea, boo to body shamers!
    and i said i was going to stay away from topics like these, i lasted less than a week. oh well. :)
  • Katiedid722
    Katiedid722 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to quote on this; but I'm bored so I'm going to :) I have a page on my fb that I "like" so the comments show up on my news feed. It seems to glorify obesity. I know what the OP is saying; that some of society is trying to say that being obese, overweight, etc is beautiful, should be embraced, and something to be proud of. If I did see an obese person in a revealing swimsuit, I would personally think that they are trying to flaunt it. More power to em. I don't have that confidence personally. I think the more important issue, is what they are doing to try and make sure that they are HEALTHY. That should be the main concern here. if a person is obese, and thinks they will embrace it, eat whatever they want, and have a "Who gives a ***" attitude, then I don't think they have their health in their best interest. Aren't we all on this website to get healthy in the first place? Society should not glorify excessive weight. Because let's face it ... in health, physics, or to the naked eye ... it doesn't lead to many pretty places.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    You know what, in part, inspired me to lose weight? Getting rid of my skinny clothes that didn't fit right that were making me feel like poop every time I looked in my closet, and buying cute, flattering clothes that did fit. Prior to that, I had a job where I wore scrubs, and the only people who actually look good in Scrubs are on General Hospital or Grey's Anatomy. :laugh:

Wearing cute clothes (and hair, makeup, etc.) started a snowball effect for me. It made me feel better about myself, and when I felt better about myself, I started doing things to continue that trend. That lead me to eating better, exercising and eventually losing weight and kinda wishing I had those skinny clothes back I donated to the Salvation Army a few months earlier... but enjoying even more going out and buying new skinny clothes.

Buying a new swimsuit and some jeans in a bigger size didn't make me content to stay bigger. It made me feel good enough about myself to get smaller.
  • athyraslove
    athyraslove Posts: 145
    Options
    You know what, in part, inspired me to lose weight? Getting rid of my skinny clothes that didn't fit right that were making me feel like poop every time I looked in my closet, and buying cute, flattering clothes that did fit. Prior to that, I had a job where I wore scrubs, and the only people who actually look good in Scrubs are on General Hospital or Grey's Anatomy. :laugh:

Wearing cute clothes (and hair, makeup, etc.) started a snowball effect for me. It made me feel better about myself, and when I felt better about myself, I started doing things to continue that trend. That lead me to eating better, exercising and eventually losing weight and kinda wishing I had those skinny clothes back I donated to the Salvation Army a few months earlier... but enjoying even more going out and buying new skinny clothes.

Buying a new swimsuit and some jeans in a bigger size didn't make me content to stay bigger. It made me feel good enough about myself to get smaller.
    ^ Well said and so true! <3
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options

:noway: :noway: :noway:

elizabeth_hurley_bikini_body_zest.jpg
    She is 48, but by your standards would look terrible in a bikini because she is not in her teens right?

OR, How about this one?
    plus-size-bikini-inspirational-picture.jpg
    Since she's not tiny, by your standards she looks terrible and should not wear this bikini?

:laugh: Open your eyes sweetheart. Love the body you're in! Stop shaming others for their confidence just because you don't have any. :heart:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    In my country, obesity is a public health issue. I guess I understand people who are happy being obese, but there is enough scientific proof that obesity is the main cause for multiple diseases (heart condition, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc).

Just NO.
    There are plenty of thin diabetics in this world, it has more to do with genetics than diet.
    Did you know that uncontrolled blood sugars cause heart disease and high blood pressure among other things?

You cannot eat your way to diabetes. It's actually a symptom of lots of things. Ever hear of MODY? LADA? Type 1 Diabetes?....all autoimmune and likely manifests itself in folks of normal weight.

Don't take my word for it....look it up.
    I did.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    26.1n003.fatkini--300x300.jpg

forever21-fatkini.jpg

These are what you're all offended over OP? These supportive and lovely two pieces that, lets keep it real, actually cover a fair amount? Would you prefer larger women wear ugly swim dresses or perhaps sacks? OR maybe they should just stay inside naked, since making cute clothes in plus sizes encourages them to stay large, clearly.

Whatever. I think their cute.

Those are adorable.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    In my country, obesity is a public health issue. I guess I understand people who are happy being obese, but there is enough scientific proof that obesity is the main cause for multiple diseases (heart condition, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc).

Just NO.
    There are plenty of thin diabetics in this world, it has more to do with genetics than diet.
    Did you know that uncontrolled blood sugars cause heart disease and high blood pressure among other things?

You cannot eat your way to diabetes. It's actually a symptom of lots of things. Ever hear of MODY? LADA? Type 1 Diabetes?....all autoimmune and likely manifests itself in folks of normal weight.

I did.

It depends on again as mentioned in this thread factors.. I agree that eating your way to diabetes is not the only way to get it but I know that's how my grandmother became diabetic and mostly more likely to have susceptibility to it.
  • hookilau
    Options
    Agree 100%!

People should begin to grasp the fact that obesity is a HEALTH problem, not a simple matter of looks and start treating it as what it is: A DISEASE that must be tackled and dealt with by everyone.

LOL !!!!! I say epidemic, but I disagree with the AMA on the disease part. Lack of personal responsibility is the problem. Now if someone suddenly comes out and says lack of personal responsibility is a disease, then I guess obesity is then.

OBESITY IS A CHOICE!!!!

As for the thread, I don't give a flying pig what anyone else wears.. I only care what I wear and whether I look good in it or not

Obesity is NOT a choice for many people. Being ignorant of that fact is a choice.

RIGHT?!
    I wasn't going to dignify that ignorant statement with an answer but whatevs 0__0
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I remember being a size 6/8 (a very long time ago) and refusing to wear a bikini because I was fat. I have lost 50lbs in the last year and a half and usually feel pretty damn good about myself. I am down to a size 10/12 and think I could rock that. At 47 years old, four kids and one c-section later it saddens me that I'm still "considered" fat and that others feel the need to judge. I'm pretty sure that health wise I'm in a better place.
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I remember being a size 6/8 (a very long time ago) and refusing to wear a bikini because I was fat. I have lost 50lbs in the last year and a half and usually feel pretty damn good about myself. I am down to a size 10/12 and think I could rock that. At 47 years old, four kids and one c-section later it saddens me that I'm still "considered" fat and that others feel the need to judge. I'm pretty sure that health wise I'm in a better place.
    Oh yah, I'm pretty sure that even if I get to a perfect size, I don't know what that is, a string bikini wouldn't hold the girls in:blushing:
  • hookilau
    Options

Just NO.

I did.

It depends on again as mentioned in this thread factors.. I agree that eating your way to diabetes is not the only way to get it but I know that's how my grandmother became diabetic and mostly more likely to have susceptibility to it.

Don't take my word for it...look it up.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem.

I want the modest, ruched swim dresses that you only see in the plus size section - and I need them in small and x-small. They're extremely flattering on every figure.

This whole trend of wearing string bikinis really doesn't suit my body or that of most women !

Modcloth has some of the retro looking swimsuits in smaller & larger sizes.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    take a look at this article about this line of "fatkinis" made for women sizes 10-24. What are your thoughts?

Fatkini is a pretty weird term, even more so when they start at a size 10.

Bikinis are really impractical swimwear. I have a few but tend to wear a one piece (scoop backs with little skater skirts) as I got sick of bikinis not having enough support and/or falling off when I am in the water. String bikinis are REALLY impracticable. The more recent fashion for bikinis with lace just tend to look like underwear.

I like that there is a return to more retro styled, highwaisted, supportive bikinis.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Ok out of morbid curiosity I googled "fatkini". I'm all for "being me" and loving yourself no matter your body shape and size, but it does glamourize unhealthy weight. My husband was a little frightened though....