"Fatkinis"

Options

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%!

People should begin to grasp the fact that obesity is a HEALTH problem, not a simple matter of looks and start treating it as what it is: A DISEASE that must be tackled and dealt with by everyone.

LOL !!!!! I say epidemic, but I disagree with the AMA on the disease part. Lack of personal responsibility is the problem. Now if someone suddenly comes out and says lack of personal responsibility is a disease, then I guess obesity is then.

OBESITY IS A CHOICE!!!!

As for the thread, I don't give a flying pig what anyone else wears.. I only care what I wear and whether I look good in it or not
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

I just feel like our society brushes all this stuff under the rug and they're saying... look.. it's OK to be morbidly obese! Celebrate your unhealthiness! Not cool. What do you think?

I think it's not cool to judge others for how they choose to live their lives. What is so horrible about making other clothing options for obese women? You live your life and make your choices, let others do the same.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

I just feel like our society brushes all this stuff under the rug and they're saying... look.. it's OK to be morbidly obese! Celebrate your unhealthiness! Not cool. What do you think?

I think it's not cool to judge others for how they choose to live their lives. What is so horrible about making other clothing options for obese women? You live your life and make your choices, let others do the same.

Dana, let's not be reasonable now.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It only matters what one thinks of oneself.

I don't have an issue with it...it's their thing.. if I see something I don't like to see, I look away.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    OP, in all seriousness- what is wrong with you? Why do say and think such terrible things about your body and the bodies of others? You are making me sad, I can't even imagine how you make yourself feel every day with this hurtful attitude.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! I'm "fat" right now, and I would never wear some of the stuff I see. I cover my blubber, so why can't others cover theirs?

We're not whales, so it would be pretty awesome if you didn't refer to the fat of yourself and others as blubber.
  • buttercup68110
    buttercup68110 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Im not sure why people care what other people wear I think they are cute. If you dont like what a person wear just dont look. Its not like you brought the outfit. And besides skinny people wear clothing that shows theirs *kitten* and tits all the time.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I feel that people should dress appropriate for their body type... meaning.... if you have blubber.. you should wear a 1 piece or atleast a tankini that covers it up.

I feel sad when I read this.

One of the biggest boosts in confidence that I ever had during my weight loss efforts was wearing a bikini on one of my trips to Mexico. I had lost 35 pounds and worked hard to do it - sure, it was a size 12 and I still had 35 more pounds to lose. I felt like a million bucks when I put that bikini on and being able to show off my results helped me stick with my plan to lose the other 35 pounds.

same here. i just bought my first triangle bikini and i cannot wait to show it off come july 4th! tried and on for my hubby and he LOVED IT! i still have weight to loose but i love how i look and feel in it.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    OP asks for opinions. My opinion is the op should seek counselling. I have some of the same issues, I am not looking to show off a lot of skin. But, I am not kidding myself that clothing in larger sizes is encouraging people to gain weight. I doubt anyone looks at size 24 clothing and thinks geez if only I could gain 50 pounds and fit into that. So, that's a big wtf, if shaming people or feeling ashamed was an effective way to encourage weight loss no one would be fat.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    When I see a larger woman wearing a bikini my first thought is "I wish I had her confidence." Actually, that's my last thought, too.

Then I start looking for my 10 year old again.

What are people doing at the beach that they have all this time to be fashion police?
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%!

People should begin to grasp the fact that obesity is a HEALTH problem, not a simple matter of looks and start treating it as what it is: A DISEASE that must be tackled and dealt with by everyone.

LOL !!!!! I say epidemic, but I disagree with the AMA on the disease part. Lack of personal responsibility is the problem. Now if someone suddenly comes out and says lack of personal responsibility is a disease, then I guess obesity is then.

OBESITY IS A CHOICE!!!!

As for the thread, I don't give a flying pig what anyone else wears.. I only care what I wear and whether I look good in it or not

Obesity is NOT a choice for many people. Being ignorant of that fact is a choice.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I tried shopping for a swimsuit today.

I'm a size 4-6.

I didn't dare wear a bikini, and the tankinis just looked like sacks on my odd shaped body. I left the stores feeling ashamed, fat and ugly. We have this 'one size fits all' mentality where we really should be focusing on what we think and feel looks good on us. I didn't feel attractive in anything I tried on. Whether it would be offensive to someone else wasn't on my mind.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Agree 100%!

OBESITY IS A CHOICE!!!!

Obesity is NOT a choice for many people. Being ignorant of that fact is a choice.

Actually it is unless you have a serious medical condition e.g. thyroid issues which may make normal eating to lead to weight gain (but not limited to this). I have the right to an opinion so name call all you want, it doesn't change that obesity is NOT a disease. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head saying, scarf down exorbitant portions of food to the point where you have given yourself a health problem. Sorry.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    26.1n003.fatkini--300x300.jpg

forever21-fatkini.jpg

These are what you're all offended over OP? These supportive and lovely two pieces that, lets keep it real, actually cover a fair amount? Would you prefer larger women wear ugly swim dresses or perhaps sacks? OR maybe they should just stay inside naked, since making cute clothes in plus sizes encourages them to stay large, clearly.

Whatever. I think their cute.

I think they are great for larger ladies myself.. all black would be incredibly flattering but that's just MO
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%!

OBESITY IS A CHOICE!!!!

Actually it is unless you have a serious medical condition e.g. thyroid issues which may make normal eating to lead to weight gain (but not limited to this). I have the right to an opinion so name call all you want, it doesn't change that obesity is NOT a disease. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head saying, scarf down exorbitant portions of food to the point where you have given yourself a health problem. Sorry.

It, but I've been kinda stalking your progress here since February, I think, and want to say your results is what encouraged me to give 30ds another go. It was nice to see a woman who 'looks' like me getting results.

Ahem. Carry on.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%!

OBESITY IS A CHOICE!!!!

I did not call you a name. I said that you were ignorant of the fact that for many people being obese is not a choice. Now, you are choosing to qualify your statement by making an exception for medical conditions. Can you look at someone and see if they are obese from a medical condition? I can't. To just say that people are obese because they choose to eat to much is at best oversimplifying the problem. There are many factors that can contribute to it and to make a blanket statement does in fact show ignorance of those factors.
  • athyraslove
    athyraslove Posts: 145
    Options

forever21-fatkini.jpg

These are what you're all offended over OP? These supportive and lovely two pieces that, lets keep it real, actually cover a fair amount? Would you prefer larger women wear ugly swim dresses or perhaps sacks? OR maybe they should just stay inside naked, since making cute clothes in plus sizes encourages them to stay large, clearly.

^ I like this. I have rolls. I'm trying to build up the confidence to wear a bikini, I never have before even when I was at a "healthy" weight because I was afraid of what people would think. I don't care what other people wear. Why should you? If you don't feel comfortable in a bikini why do you own one and stay in your backyard? Because it makes you feel good wearing one. Someone overweight wearing clothes that make them feel pretty does not encourage them to stay over weight. It helps them get out of the house and socialize, giving them the opportunity to love themselves and finally feel they are worth all the effort it takes to lose weight. One pieces are not always flattering or even cover much. The two pieces pictured cover more than a lot of the one pieces I see.

People who say things like what you posted are a big part of the reason I never felt comfortable in my own skin. I have stretch marks, people say you shouldn't wear things that show them because having a child is something to be embarrassed about. I have always been curvy, I should never wear anything that shows it off because that's disgusting, only size 8 and below has the right to wear shorts and camis and bikinis. Anyone with a bust size over a C should never be allowed to show cleavage because it's "trashy".

I don't dress for your comfort. I don't dress for anyone else but myself. I will not wear a turtle neck year round because I have boobs. No one else should have to either. I've heard this in reverse, that "twigs shouldn't strut around in skimpy clothes because skin and bone is disgusting and promotes an unhealthy lifestyle of anorexia. BULL TO THAT. Everyone has a different body type, that should be celebrated not squashed down and out of us. Wear whatever the heck you feel comfortable in.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I tried shopping for a swimsuit today.

I'm a size 4-6.

I didn't dare wear a bikini, and the tankinis just looked like sacks on my odd shaped body. I left the stores feeling ashamed, fat and ugly. We have this 'one size fits all' mentality where we really should be focusing on what we think and feel looks good on us. I didn't feel attractive in anything I tried on. Whether it would be offensive to someone else wasn't on my mind.

I hope you find something that works for you on your next trip. Bathing suit season tends to be difficult for a lot of us for one reason or another. If tankinis don't work for your shape try something else. Try on all the bathing suits! Or, take a friend with you, someone whose opinion you trust.
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    OK - I know I'm going to get ALL KINDS of crap from re-posting this on my facebook page with comments as some people are still in denial that "being fat" is OK and accepted and all that garbage. But here... I know we all know better. SO.... take a look at this article about this line of "fatkinis" made for women sizes 10-24. What are your thoughts?

1) IMHO Size 10 is not "fat". Hell, that's a goal size for me.
    2) Does this not endorse the feelings of "well its too hard for me to lose weight so I'll just go buy bigger pants" issue that americans and overweight people all over the world face? I don't say this to mean that "fat people should cover themselves with a moo moo cuz nobody wants to see that" but... its like they're glamorizing being overweight... particularly with the name "fatkini" WTF?
    3) Personally... I do have a bikini... which is worn in my backyard in my hot tub and nowhere else because I feel that people should dress appropriate for their body type... meaning.... if you have blubber.. you should wear a 1 piece or atleast a tankini that covers it up. That's just how I feel about myself. Maybe in 40# when I have a little more toned midsection I will begin to wear a "bikini" out in public.

Again... I'm overweight... so I'm not trying to be mean... I just feel like our society brushes all this stuff under the rug and they're saying... look.. it's OK to be morbidly obese! Celebrate your unhealthiness! Not cool. What do you think?

http://www.registerguard.com/rg/life/healthandfitness/30030758-71/westfall-app-weight-chris-pounds.html.csp

Wow OP...don't you think you're being kinda rude? :noway: Sure you're entitled to your opinion, but really?!

Did you know it's unhealthy to smoke? So smokers that smoke in public are "Not Cool." Because they are "Celebrating their unhealthiness!" :smokin:

Did you know it's unhealthy to eat fast food?!? So anyone leaving a McDonalds should be shamed & mocked. Because they are flaunting their right to choose what to eat. Right? :drinker:

Did you know it's unhealthy to be out in the sun too much? So all of you tan people. COVER UP! Because we don't want to see your unhealthy tan body, it's unhealthy so stop flaunting it! :glasses:

The list goes on and on. If bigger girls have the confidence to wear a bikini, MORE POWER TO THEM! If they want to lose weight & get fit, MORE POWER TO THEM! Who are you to decide what a woman should wear? LoL! Some people's kids...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

forever21-fatkini.jpg

^ I like this. I have rolls. I'm trying to build up the confidence to wear a bikini, I never have before even when I was at a "healthy" weight because I was afraid of what people would think. I don't care what other people wear. Why should you? If you don't feel comfortable in a bikini why do you own one and stay in your backyard? Because it makes you feel good wearing one. Someone overweight wearing clothes that make them feel pretty does not encourage them to stay over weight. It helps them get out of the house and socialize, giving them the opportunity to love themselves and finally feel they are worth all the effort it takes to lose weight. One pieces are not always flattering or even cover much. The two pieces pictured cover more than a lot of the one pieces I see.

People who say things like what you posted are a big part of the reason I never felt comfortable in my own skin. I have stretch marks, people say you shouldn't wear things that show them because having a child is something to be embarrassed about. I have always been curvy, I should never wear anything that shows it off because that's disgusting, only size 8 and below has the right to wear shorts and camis and bikinis. Anyone with a bust size over a C should never be allowed to show cleavage because it's "trashy".

I don't dress for your comfort. I don't dress for anyone else but myself. I will not wear a turtle neck year round because I have boobs. No one else should have to either. I've heard this in reverse, that "twigs shouldn't strut around in skimpy clothes because skin and bone is disgusting and promotes an unhealthy lifestyle of anorexia. BULL TO THAT. Everyone has a different body type, that should be celebrated not squashed down and out of us. Wear whatever the heck you feel comfortable in.

It's body shaming in either direction and it's sad.