"Fatkinis"

Options

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    26.1n003.fatkini--300x300.jpg

forever21-fatkini.jpg

These are what you're all offended over OP? These supportive and lovely two pieces that, lets keep it real, actually cover a fair amount? Would you prefer larger women wear ugly swim dresses or perhaps sacks? OR maybe they should just stay inside naked, since making cute clothes in plus sizes encourages them to stay large, clearly.

Whatever. I think their cute.

the woman in the hot pink looks amazing! i have to say now that i live next to the water i am a little more accepting to what others wear on their boats and at the beach. if you feel sexy and confident in whatever swimsuit you are wearing everyone around you will think the same thing about you. if you feel self confident and embarrassed then everyone will think you look like crap. it's all about confidence.

that being said i have seen many a skinny girl wearing jeans so tight it gives them a muffin top. overly tight clothing on anyone does not look attractive even if you are the size of kate moss but that's just an opinion. wear clothes that fit and you will look amazing!
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    When I was overweight I would wear a two piece just to make people like the OP uncomfortable (JK :p). I wasn't ashamed of my body. I knew I wasn't healthy and knew I was going to lose weight and get healthy, but I was still a confident person and felt I had every right to wear what I wanted. I actually had an adorable vintage style black with white polka dots two piece. I loved it and so did my husband so that is all that mattered. I didn't really care what anyone else had to say on the subject of what was appropriate for ME to wear.
  • epicrockstar24
    Options

forever21-fatkini.jpg

These are what you're all offended over OP? These supportive and lovely two pieces that, lets keep it real, actually cover a fair amount? Would you prefer larger women wear ugly swim dresses or perhaps sacks? OR maybe they should just stay inside naked, since making cute clothes in plus sizes encourages them to stay large, clearly.

I was expecting wayyyyyyy worse. Honestly I hate plus sized models even more than I hate regular models because I’m actually smaller than those models, and i definitely do not look like they do, i’m way more fat looking.
  • 1duffwf
    1duffwf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think we should focus our efforts instead on banning Speedos for all who are NOT on swim teams. :laugh:
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I don't concern myself with what other people wear. If a 500lb lady wants to rock a string bikini then that's neat. If affects my life zero percent. Me getting all judgy about her isn't going to change anything.

Can I acknowledge that her lifestyle is unhealthy? Hell yeah. Would I wear that? Hell no. But it's her life, her decisions.

I'll just ditto this. Please stop trying to impress your viewpoint upon others as though it's some definitive fact. Why oh why do you care about the swimwear of anyone but yourself? Talk about a buttinski.

Ditto. OP, you have no right to judge anyone else but yourself. Something about glass houses and throwing stones...

I think Americans have alot of hang ups about nudity and the human body in general. Spas and beaches in other countries are full of people not so hung up be they "model" ready or grandma and grandpa. My German friends who have been in the spa business since the Roman invasion of the fatherland (as one of them likes to put it) says you can always tell who the Americans are in the "big tub." They come prancing out of the dressing area in bathing suits and run back in when they see everyone else is naked. And EVERYONE means exactly that.

Everyone should just mind their own business and stop judging what's in their shopping cart, what anyone else is eating,what they dress or look like in Walmart, and on and on and on. Really. just quit it.
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't concern myself with what other people wear. If a 500lb lady wants to rock a string bikini then that's neat. If affects my life zero percent. Me getting all judgy about her isn't going to change anything.

Can I acknowledge that her lifestyle is unhealthy? Hell yeah. Would I wear that? Hell no. But it's her life, her decisions.

I'll just ditto this. Please stop trying to impress your viewpoint upon others as though it's some definitive fact. Why oh why do you care about the swimwear of anyone but yourself? Talk about a buttinski.

Ditto. OP, you have no right to judge anyone else but yourself. Something about glass houses and throwing stones...

I think Americans have alot of hang ups about nudity and the human body in general. Spas and beaches in other countries are full of people not so hung up be they "model" ready or grandma and grandpa. My German friends who have been in the spa business since the Roman invasion of the fatherland (as one of them likes to put it) says you can always tell who the Americans are in the "big tub." They come prancing out of the dressing area in bathing suits and run back in when they see everyone else is naked. And EVERYONE means exactly that.

Everyone should just mind their own business and stop judging what's in their shopping cart, what anyone else is eating,what they dress or look like in Walmart, and on and on and on. Really. just quit it.

This! I've lived in America my whole life, but have spent quite a bit of time in Poland, since that is where a lot of my family is. They really don't care that much about nudity. If you go to the beach, you'll see people young and old, fit or overweight, wearing speedos, tanning topless, however they feel comfortable. Americans seem to feel a lot more shame about nudity, or showing some skin. When I lived in Hawaii, a lot of my 100% American friends would make comments when European tourists would walk around in Speedos. Do I find Speedos flattering? Not particularly. Do I find the fact that the person is wearing what makes them feel comfortable and confident awesome, sexy, and great? Absolutely!!
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I think the OP's point about it encouraging obesity is an exaggerated form of a belief that I hold.

One of my main motivators is that when my size 7 pants get uncomfortably tight, I know I have to work hard to get them loose again because I won't allow myself to buy larger pants. I wish I had had this policy when I was a size 5, and not allowed myself to buy size 7 pants, because I have found that with this attitude I have managed to keep them fitting every time they get a bit tight so I bet I could've done the same thing at size 5.

It's not an attitude that obese people should be naked or have ugly things(for me at least, maybe OP thinks they should), but rather that if you refuse to allow yourself to go up one size, you won't get to that point maybe. Maintaining is easier than losing for me, and is a step towards losing or at least better than gaining.

For the record I don't care at all who wears a bikini and if they made that galaxy print one in my size I would buy it in a heartbeat, as long as the word fatkini isn't printed on it because that would cancel out any feelings of confidence I would get from it. But I think these are very cute and haven't been able to wear bikinis for a few years now; I admire the confidence it takes.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options

I was expecting wayyyyyyy worse. Honestly I hate plus sized models even more than I hate regular models because I’m actually smaller than those models, and i definitely do not look like they do, i’m way more fat looking.

AMEN. They find the prettiest girls who gain weight in the most proportional, attractive way. If I looked like them when I gain weight(or even how I am right now) I wouldn't be on this site lol.
  • Alatariel2002
    Alatariel2002 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I probably wear more clothes out swimming than most do while exercising....lol. A one piece bathsuit, a 6x tank top that hangs down to my knees and a pair of shorts under that. I don't wear that to spare anyone from seeing my blubber flapping around everywhere...I wear it because I, myself, do not feel comfortable in anything showing just how fat I really am. That is on me...not anyone else. I could care less what other overweight women wear to the pool or beach. I have seen some pretty heafty ladies rocking bikinis..and I say more power to them. They obviously are comfortable in their own skin...and that's what it boils down to...being comfortable and confident in yourself. Now when I lose my surplus...I may just go find me one of those "fatkinis" and rock it out! :laugh:
  • GamerGirly
    GamerGirly Posts: 158 Member
    Options

forever21-fatkini.jpg

Oh hell.. I want the hot pink one!!!
    I could totally rock the hot pink one!!
    AND on top of that.. i wouldn't give a damn what people thought of me!
    CAUSE I ROCK!!! :P
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I personally like the look of those bikinis. I am not obese, I wouldn't even call myself fat at this point, I'm only about 10 lbs. from goal, but these are more modest for an older lady. At 64, I don't think I should wear a string bikini even if I have the body for it. Note; I'm speaking for myself only.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Plus sized models freak me out too.. if all fat women actually looked like those models, there would be nobody left on MFP.!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I feel that people should dress appropriate for their body type... meaning.... if you have blubber.. you should wear a 1 piece or atleast a tankini that covers it up.

I feel sad when I read this.

One of the biggest boosts in confidence that I ever had during my weight loss efforts was wearing a bikini on one of my trips to Mexico. I had lost 35 pounds and worked hard to do it - sure, it was a size 12 and I still had 35 more pounds to lose. I felt like a million bucks when I put that bikini on and being able to show off my results helped me stick with my plan to lose the other 35 pounds.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Clothing manufacturers should be limited by law, to how high their sizes can go. If our overweight population cannot find clothing, then one, of two things will happen. They will be forced to stay indoors (best outcome) or they will lose weight. Either way it's a win. Maybe build some mandatory fat camps.

Kidding aside... If people were concerned more with their character, than judging others, this would be a pretty swell place.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

:smile:
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Clothing manufacturers should be limited by law, to how high their sizes can go. If our overweight population cannot find clothing, then one, of two things will happen. They will be forced to stay indoors (best outcome) or they will lose weight. Either way it's a win. Maybe build some mandatory fat camps.

Kidding aside... If people were concerned more with their character, than judging others, this would be a pretty swell place.

Oh, man, you had me going for a second!
  • sparkles9779
    sparkles9779 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this.. As for the person posting this topic, you must be one of the lucky one's blessed with the ability to lose weight, and not have medical conditions that prevent you from losing weight. I have a ton of medical issues that prevent, and even cause weight gain but I try to live healthy, and be a healthy person. MY lab reports which show my cholesterol to be almost to low my sugars to be great, my heart, liver and kidney fab, are better as my doctor says then a lot of her "thin" patients. Can obesity be bad for you, yes, but so can lots of others things. Why should you or anyone else begrudge women feeling comfortable and confident in what they wear. YOU are the one with an issue, not the fatkinis....
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%!

People should begin to grasp the fact that obesity is a HEALTH problem, not a simple matter of looks and start treating it as what it is: A DISEASE that must be tackled and dealt with by everyone.

I hate that misinformation is a disease that must be tolerated by everyone.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    OMG let this freaking topic die already! So what a fat girl wants to wear a bikini. How does it bother you or anyone else. And who cares if someone agrees with obesity? That does not take away your right to be against it and practice a healthy lifestyle. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I think they're great. A helluva lot more flattering than the swim dresses I see a lot of bigger women wear.

Ideally, yeah, I'd like people to take care of themselves and be fit. I don't see the point of dooming yourself to ugly clothes or swimwear no matter who you are or what you look like. And let's face it, if you're big, you're going to look big no matter what you're wearing, so why not wear something you actually LIKE?

^ This.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS