December 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @Virkati - As others mentioned...do it. You'll find renewed motivation and excitement, plus they are addictive. For me, race day has become my reward for consistent workouts and training...a treat of sorts.

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    I could register for the Rock n Roll Denver Half today for $50. I want to but for some reason I can't seem to find the courage to hit the submit button. It's next October. LOTS of time to get ready for it. It would be my first actual registration for a real event. There are others that I was planning to do before this race, but it's my first real registration. I'm I nuts for being so nervous? It's only $50. That price is only until midnight.

Did you do it @Virkati ?? :smiley:

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    01/12 - 13.2 miles
    02/12 - 13.6 miles
    03/12 - 10.3 km
    04/12 - 13.6 miles
    05/12 - 10.4 km
    06/12 - 20.8 miles
    07/12 - 10.3 km
    08/12 - 13.4 miles
    09/12 - 13.6 miles
    10/12 - 10.4 km
    11/12 - 13.7 miles
    12/12 - 10.4 km
    13/12 - 21.1 miles
    14/12 - 10.3 km
    15/12 - 13.5 miles
    16/12 - 13.6 miles

tot 306/500 km

good runs so far, back to back HM and tomorrow recovery 10k

miserable weather

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I DID IT!!

2i8e6q0klpcg.jpg
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    December goal — 60 KM…I’ll be traveling for 2 weeks this month and unlikely to be able to run

12/1—5.02km
    12/3—5.23 km
    12/6—6.52 km run at the GZ Mini Marathon! 28:29 5k time! Happy!
    12/10—5.21 km
    12/11—5.03 km
    12/13—12.56 km
    12/15—4.98 km
    12/17—5.3 km
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @runner_girl83 (Let's see how long it will take me to get used to your new name, when I was browsing some older posts one or two pages back I was totally confused ;-P ): I never had to "break in" shoes. Once, when I bought my first pair of neutral, 4mm drop shoes to replace some stabilising 10mm drop shoes, the beginning of the first run felt a bit weird, but that was all.
    ... speaking of shoes, now I'm really tempted to buy another pair. The longer I think about it, the more I'm sure I don't have enough yet ^^

I actually went to a sports store on the weekend. While I was walking through the running aisle to look for new gloves, I spotted some "power shirts & pants". Apparently, these are magical (under-?)wear that promise lots of nice things, like 10% more endurance, 7% less lactate buildup, 20% faster recovery and 2.4 BPM lower heart beat. I wonder if buying pants+shirt would give me 20% more endurance? All that for the bargain price of only 270 Euro. >:) Sounds very fancy, but I had other plans for my money, so I guess I'll have to keep running in boring shirts which don't do anything for my lactate buildup...
    fpcc06zdsd38.jpg

Run today: 3.8km during the lunch break.
    This was the first time ever I went for a run in the middle of the workday. My new workplace has a shower, so I now have this option and wanted to try it out. I felt sort of odd to "sneak out" and run away while everyone else went to the canteen, just as weird as walking down the office hallway after the shower with dirty running clothes over my arm and the wet towel slung over my neck. Didn't meet many people though, since my run was finished shortly before everyone came back.
    I thought it was a horrible run. My left calf felt really stiff, so I stopped twice to do some streching. After that, the second half of the run was much better (coincidentally, it happened to be all downhill ^^).
    When I got back I saw that the average pace was the best I've managed in the last three month. Which doesn't say much, because the last three month were really show with a lot of non-running periods, but I was quite surprised anyway, especially considering I didn't stop the watch during the streching breaks.

A question to everyone else who runs during the lunch break: what do you do with the running clothes (potentially muddy or sweaty or rain-soaked) and the towel? My office roommate wasn't at work today, so I could spread the things out without bothering him, but I don't think this is will always be a valid solution.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ These days, I only run on lunch break on work from home days and I don't have that problem.

A few years ago, I had a gym a few blocks from the office. I'd shower there and put my running clothes into a plastic trash bag in my gym bag, then sort them out to the laundry when I got home. Knowing what I know now, if I had that type of arrangement I might rinse the running clothes in the gym shower before putting them in the plastic bag. Rinsing running hats after a run seems to extend their non-stinky useful life when I'm only doing running laundry once a week.

• Virkati
    Options
    A question to everyone else who runs during the lunch break: what do you do with the running clothes (potentially muddy or sweaty or rain-soaked) and the towel? My office roommate wasn't at work today, so I could spread the things out without bothering him, but I don't think this is will always be a valid solution.[/quote]

@_nikkiwolf_ It's my regular routine to run or walk on my lunch break. Actually, if I were to show up and eat with everyone they'd probably call 911! As far as the clothes go, I stuff them into a bag that's just for them. If I have the time, I'll take them out to my car and hang them up somehow to let them dry and air out, otherwise, they stay in the bag til I get home. I don't have a shower at work, so I'm totally jealous! I use cold water, paper towels, and don't give a rip what anyone says after that. It takes a couple of times to get comfortable with using your lunch break for workouts, but now I wouldn't have it any other way!
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 in the morning to run so I don't have to try that lunch thing... I can't imagine putting my suit back on after a run... lol...
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 in the morning to run so I don't have to try that lunch thing... I can't imagine putting my suit back on after a run... lol...

@morningghost14 just run in your suit

http://www.details.com/story/fashion-exec-sets-world-record-for-running-a-half-marathon-in-a-suit
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    I DID IT!!

2i8e6q0klpcg.jpg

Woohooo!! Way to go!!!
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Well after 2 days of travel + 1 day back at work (first day back is always crazy), I had 4 pages of posts to catch up on haha.

@_nikkiwolf_ - glad your toe is feeling better! :smile:
    @runner_girl83 - I started running in college, then stopped for a few years and then picked it back up about 2 years ago
    @kristinegift - nice pictures of your hike! Pretty :smiley:
    @lporter229 - Hope your ear is doing better! Sounds awful :neutral:
    @Elise4270 - hope your feet feel better!
    @Stoshew71 - Nice to read the race report. Congrats again :smiley: Dang, missed your birthday - hope it was a good one!!
    @Virkati - Yay for registering for the race! :) I was going to tell you to do it, but it looks like everyone else beat me to it ;)
    @skippygirlsmom - at least he was wearing running shoes. Can't imagine the blisters if he ran in a suit and dress shoes! :o

No running for me since falling during the HM last Saturday. I'm itching to get back out there, but for now am walking a lot to see how that goes. I might try a very slow light 1-2 mile jog on Saturday if I feel okay with the walking over the next couple of days.

I was doing well and right on track to hit my goal this month, but now I probably won't make it. Oh well, better to keep the injury from getting worse than to run before it's ready trying to make the goal. :smile:
  • Runningman_78
    Runningman_78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A question to everyone else who runs during the lunch break: what do you do with the running clothes (potentially muddy or sweaty or rain-soaked) and the towel? My office roommate wasn't at work today, so I could spread the things out without bothering him, but I don't think this is will always be a valid solution.

I just have a few sets of running gear that I can rotate, so my clothes get dumped in a gym bag after a run and then every couple days I wash them all.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Last week I did 3 miles (I'm chronically ill and was fighting major exhaustion last week).
    Dec 7: 5.0 miles
    Dec 9: 5.2 miles. Total: 13.2 miles and I am not going to get to my 55 mile goal this month :(

Dec 11 1.5 miles
    Dec 14 5.3 miles
    Dec 16 5.4 miles

Total: 25.4 miles
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I DID IT!!
    Woo Hoo . Congratulations - So what type of Race Bling do you get for being an Early Bird ?
  • Virkati
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    I DID IT!!
    Woo Hoo . Congratulations - So what type of Race Bling do you get for being an Early Bird ?

Wait...what?! Bling for early registration??? Didn't know there was such a thing...will check and find out!
  • runner_girl83
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Goal – 100 km’s
    01 – 5.76 km
    02 – 2.34 km run
    03 – 4.37 km – stage 2 melanoma
    04 – 3.05 km
    05 – 4.08 km
    06 – 2.07 km
    07 – 2.01 km
    08 – 2.98 km
    09 – 6.00 km run
    09 – 2.96 km
    10 – 2.19 km
    11 – 2.11 km
    12 – 5.13 km run
    13 – 5.22 km
    14 – 5.00 km run
    14 – 4.00 km
    15 – 2.20 km
    16 – 5.00 km run
    16 – 4.03 km run
    16 – 1.01 km
    17 – 2.18 km

Total – 73.69 km

Went back to the running store today. They weren't too helpful unfortunately. My left knee is sore today, along with shins and BOTH ankles! My shoes are 3 weeks old this week. I asked the two salesmen in the store if I could return or swap the shoes.. Not much was said, though a lot of 'umming' and 'arring'.. Until one of them suggested I see a physio first and if that does not work, then to come back and return the shoes. Keep in mind I have had the shoes for 3 weeks..

After shopping at another shopping centre, I passed the same running store (just at a different shop) and went in.. Told them the same thing.. The shoes are sluggish, feel heavy, sore knee, shin splints, sore ankles.. feel like an elephant picking my feet up... They told me to take the shoes off and looked at my feet and told me there was too much cushioning in the shoe for my foot. They also said I needed lighter shoes and suggested trying the Asics Cumulus 17's (one up from the 16's) - I do have to admit the 17's felt extremely light to hold! He also demonstrated how the 17's were more firm in the sole, while still having cushioning - which would mean they are gentle on the legs, but firmer so I don't sink into the shoe. Right?

I told him that the other store suggested going to physio first, at which he asked me how long I had had the shoes.. I told him 3 weeks and he told me to return the shoes to him, rather than the other store. He said the shoes need to be returned within 4 weeks, otherwise they will not be accepted. He told me he doesn't think the other store have done a very good job at fitting me and said if I can return the shoes to him a.s.a.p. He will find me shoes that suit my feet and gait properly. He was very upset with the other store and how sneaky they were.. By the time I got an appointment with the physio, it would be another week, which would push me outside of the 4 week return date!

I have paid $170 Aus for these shoes which to me is a lot!! I can't believe people working in a running store wouldn't care enough to make sure their customers are 100% happy with their purchase!

Happy I went into the second store for another opinion! Hopefully they can help me tomorrow when I return the shoes!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Got in another 8.5 tonight - doing half in new flats (speaking of having too many pairs of shoes @Stoshew71 ). Will cut back on the mileage tomorrow, which is good as I suckered my usual Thursday evening running partner to go to a 7PM showing of the new star wars instead of our usual run. Only 5 miles short of 50% of my monthly target which is good now that we are halfway through the month.

12/1 - 4 miles
    12/2 - 4 miles (hill repeats at a 7 pace)
    12/3 - 4 miles
    12/5 - 6 miles
    12/6 - 4 miles (5k in 19:26 - 2nd/85 runners)
    12/7 - 15 miles (w. speedwork session in middle)
    12/8 - 6 miles
    12/9 - 7.5 miles (w. group tempo session in middle)
    12/10 - 7 miles
    12/11 - 3 miles
    12/12 - 1 mile (pre lift warmup)
    12/13 - 10 miles
    12/14 - 20 miles (w. speedwork session in middle)
    12/15 - 10 miles
    12/16 - 8.5 miles

Total: 110 miles
    Goal: 230 miles
    Remaining: 120 miles

@runner_girl83 - If you want a lighter profile shoe (as Cumulus 16s are what I wear for more support on my longer distance 10K+ training runs - and what I'm likely racing my next marathon in), also test out the Asics DS Trainer 20s or the tri noosas (same sole as the 20s but slightly less support and heel tension). The profile is slightly more minimal but the support and bounce is pretty solid.

@virkati - I became a bit ill when signing up for my first ironman - mostly due to the price (although when broken down by hour of racing, it wasn't horrific). Congrads and good luck! I almost forgot about the R&R sale today (30 minutes left).
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Dec 1 - 2.64
    Dec 2 - 5K
    Dec 3 - 1.4 streak
    Dec 4 - 5.16 miles
    Dec 5 - 4.16 miles - Savannah! Wish I had more time because this was the best run ever.
    Dec 6 - 5.5 miles
    Dec 7 - 1.1
    Dec 8 - 4 miles
    Dec 9 - 1.4 miles - streak
    Dec 10 - 3.75 miles
    Dec 11 - 6 miles
    Dec 12 - 35 mile bike ride, 1 mile run
    Dec 13 - 32 mile bike ride, 1 mile run
    Dec 14 - 3.5 miles
    Dec 15 - 4.72
    Dec 16 - 1.4 + strength training
    Dec 17 - 4.75 miles