December 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @Virkati Spending that $50 will totally jack your motivation, your desire and your consistency... I don't like races, but I sign up for long ones just so I can train for them... having a big goal helps me get my butt out running even on days when I'm not feeling it...

I can attest to this. Having a race goal and something to shoot for is what motivates me.
    I just hate to see what my motivation for running will be like once I do BQ. lol

What's next? Iron Man? OTQ? lol

My motivation since my BQ has been nil. Maybe it's because my qualification is for 2017 so I know I have a lot of time and I spent the better part of the last year and a half focused on nothing but hitting that goal, but right now I feel like I just fell off a motivation cliff. I am hoping that changes after the holidays because it's been hard to get my butt out the door and that is not at all how I usually am.

I think in the future I am going to need to have another January marathon on the schedule. I think that is what helped keep me going through these dark days last year...and it was waaayy colder!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @virkati you are welcome. Look around for local races not sponsored by R&R I hear they are very pricey.
    @stoshew71 love the guy in jeans
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @stoshew71 love the guy in jeans

I swear, I believe this guy literally got up early one Saturday morning, went out to get his morning coffee and Saturday paper, saw a bunch of women in running pants, then thought, "I need to get in on this.".

• Stoshew71
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @Virkati Spending that $50 will totally jack your motivation, your desire and your consistency... I don't like races, but I sign up for long ones just so I can train for them... having a big goal helps me get my butt out running even on days when I'm not feeling it...

I can attest to this. Having a race goal and something to shoot for is what motivates me.
    I just hate to see what my motivation for running will be like once I do BQ. lol

What's next? Iron Man? OTQ? lol

My motivation since my BQ has been nil. Maybe it's because my qualification is for 2017 so I know I have a lot of time and I spent the better part of the last year and a half focused on nothing but hitting that goal, but right now I feel like I just fell off a motivation cliff. I am hoping that changes after the holidays because it's been hard to get my butt out the door and that is not at all how I usually am.

I think in the future I am going to need to have another January marathon on the schedule. I think that is what helped keep me going through these dark days last year...and it was waaayy colder!

Yeah, that is what I am afraid about with me. lol

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I almost joined a race that way. I was finishing up and saw the police blocking off roads. I asked one what was going on and he said that i was early and a race was starting in 10 min. I think it was a half and I had just run one of my longest runs 5mi. Part of my brain still went "I can do this"

@MorningGhost14 Familiar with the area? lots of hills for me and lots of fantastic food. I enjoy it but 4 am is still early. I was surprised to find such a running culture in my area
  • Stoshew71
    edited December 2015
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 I almost joined a race that way. I was finishing up and saw the police blocking off roads. I asked one what was going on and he said that i was early and a race was starting in 10 min. I think it was a half and I had just run one of my longest runs 5mi. Part of my brain still went "I can do this"

LOL

At least you were dressed for the occasion.

Thank you sir!
    \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    still catching up...

@Stoshew71 , great race report & Happy Birthday!
    @5BeautifulDays I only wear 2 different shoe models. When I first bought a pair of running shoes the local running store had me try on something like 12 different pair and there were two models that felt best. I bought one that day and a couple of months later I bought the other model so I could alternate the shoes I run in. I retired that first pair at 325 miles but have recently brought them back out of retirement for trail running. I wear Brooks Glycerin 12's and ASICS Gel-Nimbus 17's, which I found out are high drop, cushy shoes. I have 3 pair in reserve right now and when it's time to buy another pair I'm going to experiment with a mid to low drop shoe. I'll pick that out the same way...go to the local running store and let them help me.
    @Virkati congrats on signing up for your HM!!!! having a race on the horizon is sure motivation for me. After my HM in October my motivation dropped until I signed up for a full in May.
    @runner_girl83 how very fortunate for you that you stopped at the second store!

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Kody & I managed 8.1 miles on Tuesday. Hope to get in 5+ tonight but the NCAA Womens Volleyball semifinals is on tonight so it will be pulling hard for my attention. Minnesota (my state) and Kansas (my former state and my daughter's college) are both in it but in separate games so I'll be cheering hard for both teams to meet in the final. This is where my DVR will come in handy.

So far the weather had been mild enough this winter (no colder than 28°F) that I've been getting away a single thin long-sleeve shirt, thin tights and a head band but tonight is dropping to 23°F with 18MPH winds so I'll need to dress a bit warmer. I'm growing a beard for the first time in my life now. It started off as a lark during my several hunting trips this fall but I've decided to keep it through the winter. It does help to keep my face warm when I run! Unfortunately it's also a snot catcher.

6u3o22s73t0a.jpeg

Upcoming Races (Registered & Tentative)

03/12/2016 - Get Lucky Half Marathon - St. Paul, MN
    4/16/2016 - Trail Mix 25K - Lake Rebecca Park
    05/14/2016 - Lake Wobegon Marathon - Holdingford, MN
    06/25/2016 - Circle of Life Half Marathon - Lake City, MN
    07/04/2016 - Red Wing July 4th 10K - Red Wing, MN
    07/20/2016 - Torchlight 5K - Minneapolis
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm just putting this in as a place-holder, since otherwise you all will get 20 pages ahead and I won't be able to find my list!

12/1 3.5 @ 11:17 on the treadmill plus strength training
    12/2 5.25 @ 11:04 on the treadmill. Oh my heck, please let it be sunny tomorrow. Or at least not so wet.
    12/3 4.75 @ 12:03 on the park trail with the doggy. Yay! Sunshine!
    12/4 3.5 @ 11:03 (really 3.25 at 10:48, plus .25 at a walk) on the treadmill, plus strength training
    12/5 3 miles hiking with the cub scouts :)

12/6 Woke up feeling sore from Friday's strength training, so took a rest day
    12/7 9.25 @ 12:26 on the park trail, nice and easy
    12/8 3.75 @ 10:48 on the treadmill (3.5 at 10:39, .25 walk), plus stretch/yoga
    12/9 5.25 @ 11:32 on the treadmill
    12/10 Sort of rest day? Trip to Colonial Williamsburg with my daughter's history class. Lots of walking!
    12/11 6.25 @ 11:18 on the treadmill.
    12/12 Rest Day

12/13 3.25 @ 10:10 (5K race chip time 32:06--I finished 191/395 women 30/64 in my age group)
    12/14 7.25 @ 12:03 (7 @ 11:57 and .25 walking) on the park trails
    12/15 2.0 @ 10:29 on the treadmill and strength training
    12/16 5.0 @ 11:49 on the park trail
    12/17 Rest Day. It is cold and wet and my back hurts from present wrapping. Bah humbug.
    12/18
    12/19

exercise.png

• mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    12/1 5.00 -> 5
    12/3 3.22 -> 8.22
    12/5 2.88 -> 11.10
    12/7 3.16 -> 14.26
    12/11 5.13 -> 19.39
    12/12 3.27 -> 22.66
    12/14 6.00 -> 28.66
    12/16 6.00 -> 34.66

I went to check out a 5k race that usually happens in June. They moved it to April... This 5k was the only reason I did not go for the R&R HM here in San Diego. So, I went to check out the R&R HM only to find that, they also have the special pricing yesterday like the one @Virkati registered but now the cost is $99 :confounded::bawling:

Is there somewhere you can sign up to get notification of special like these?

exercise.png
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Took a partial day of vacation today (all day tomorrow too!), so I got to take my Jayde out running with me today. We did a slow, hilly 6 miler on the regular route, averaging around 10:25 per mile (including her numerous bathroom breaks).

See new profile picture, taken after we finished. She looks like she could do another 10 miles or so...

That brings me to to 49 miles this month (out of 96). Still on track!
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    I went to check out a 5k race that usually happens in June. They moved it to April... This 5k was the only reason I did not go for the R&R HM here in San Diego. So, I went to check out the R&R HM only to find that, they also have the special pricing yesterday like the one @Virkati registered but now the cost is $99 :confounded::bawling:

Is there somewhere you can sign up to get notification of special like these?

Somehow I got my email address on Colorado Runner Magazine's email list. Turned out to be the BEST thing to have happened. I don't know when, where, or how they got my email, but I get information almost daily about events. Some are right around the corner and others are for distances near and far, (Las Vegas, Miami and Lisbon being just a few examples). With these guys, for every event I volunteer at, I can either run the longer distance for free (because it's usually a later start time) in that race or I can apply my free admission to a different event. I'm planning to do the Labor Day Mini Marathon that way...keeps my costs down and helps me appreciate the volunteers even more.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    December goal 65 miles

12/1 5.00
    12/2 4.11
    12/3 snorkel 3 hours
    12/4 4.37
    12/5 7.31
    12/6 3.15
    12/7 got home from work. Sat. Never got back up.
    12/8 3.43. Stopped the car on a side road and ran. Knew if I went home....see above.
    12/9 3.52
    12/10 ZAPPA Tribute concert!
    12/11 3.25
    12/12 3.5
    12/13 3.18
    12/14 rest
    12/15 8.16
    12/16 3.07
    12/17 4.00

Total 56.05

Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    @MorningGhost14 Familiar with the area? lots of hills for me and lots of fantastic food. I enjoy it but 4 am is still early. I was surprised to find such a running culture in my area
    I lived out there for several years a long time ago. I lived in Brookfield briefly and then in Menomonee Falls. After college, I moved back for three years to go to Marquette for law school.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @MorningGhost14 there is always so much to do. that's why i have to run so early in the morniing

I grew up in waukesha, spent some time in stevens point for college, lived on the Eastside, West Allis, and now Tosa. I think it's my favorite. a special community. a few years back, it seemed like all of SE WI got a facelift and some new attitudes. I'm digging it. Nevermind all the races i look at are in the PacNW
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    @moyer566 ... I did enjoy it there, but I eventually got sick of the winters. But winter isn't that much better here in western PA. You should check out some of the killer trail races out there like the Kettle 100 and the Dances with Dirt at Devil's Lake. I may run the marathon distance at Devil's Lake with my oldest daughter in June. It would be her first, but the course looks a little brutal to take on as a first race. And she is almost exclusively a treadmill/road runner, so I think a trail marathon would kick her fanny... lol
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @moyer566 ... I did enjoy it there, but I eventually got sick of the winters. But winter isn't that much better here in western PA. You should check out some of the killer trail races out there like the Kettle 100 and the Dances with Dirt at Devil's Lake. I may run the marathon distance at Devil's Lake with my oldest daughter in June. It would be her first, but the course looks a little brutal to take on as a first race. And she is almost exclusively a treadmill/road runner, so I think a trail marathon would kick her fanny... lol

@MorningGhost14 I think the devil's lake will kick everyone's butt. I don't know if i'll make it to that one. could be fun. I've got a lot of work to do either of those i think. :)
    This year, I'm just trying to figure out this whole running thing :)
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    @moyer566 .... you are doing really well... except it seems to me that you are setting your monthly goals too low.. from what I can see from your mileage, you could be doing 100 mile months.... let me see that for January... :smile:
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I got new shoes!!!! :smiley: Literally bouncing around in them right now!

I spent a decent amount of time walking around in shoes and having my gait recorded.. Turns out the Asics Cumulus' were "too much cushion" for me and my feet were bouncing around in them!

The guy at the running store also recorded me in my old Nikes and said that although it looks like the support has gone in them, that they would probably still be a good shoe to walk in, just not run in any more. He said in future when I have the money, I could always get another pair of Nike Pegasus to have as a second pair of running shoes .. I tried on a new pair of Nike Pegasus and was reminded why I loved my shoes to begin with.. It's also very clear that the arch support has definitely gone in my old pair! :lol:

He got me to try on some other asics, brooks, nikes and mizuno (spelling?)

In the end, the shoes spoke to me - Brooks Pureflow! Low to the ground, yet enough cushioning to add support without overdoing it.. And I like the added feel of the curved heel to smooth the transition from heel to toe too! Soooo inlove with them! Feels like I am walking on air!! So I was able to transfer the cost of the Asics over to the Brooks and wella :wink: Just have to take them out for a spin!

So he said to take a few weeks now and maybe just wear them while running - use the Nikes for walking though. He said this will help the Brooks last longer. He said when I have enough money, to look for a cheap pair of Nike Pegasus on special as a back up pair of trainers ... And now I know I can go between the Brooks Pureflow and Nike Pegasus as my go to shoes :smiley:

He is also putting in a complaint against the store I went to originally. If I had followed their advice and gone to physio before returning the shoes, I would have most likely been past the 4 weeks return date for the shoes and been stuck with them. Also.. They said that any knee or foot pain would not be from the shoes - It was most likely a biomechanics thing.. Second of all, the guy that served me today was really upset as the Asics I returned were 1.5 sizes too big for my feet!! He said that it was really poor service and he wonders how many other customers have been mistreated.

I am soo grateful for being able to return the shoes - I couldn't thank this man enough! The poor guy.. Think I made him blush :lol:
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 .... you are doing really well... except it seems to me that you are setting your monthly goals too low.. from what I can see from your mileage, you could be doing 100 mile months.... let me see that for January... :smile:

Love the encouragement!! :smiley: