WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Katla- glad you made it home! Those airplane rides can be tiring.

Mary from Minnesota
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,225 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be MIA. I had a lot on and had little time to read or comment. So, here I am in December. Hit my goals in November. I will have a little more time at the weekend to catch up.

:heart: Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them! :heart:

:sunglasses: Welcome to our Newbies. Sit a spell! :sunglasses:

:heart: May peace and joy shine on your day! :heart:

Irish Terri harp.gif
  • go2peace
    go2peace Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Never posted before. Not sure how it works. How do you bookmark? And how do you keep from scrolling down all the time? If this thread is for the whole month, won't it get too long and confusing?
    Julia in PA
    I'm 51, trying to maintain or lose a few if I can. Want to keep exercising and make good food choices over the holidays
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Just stopping here to say hello. My case of the shingles is mild, just one small patch you can see in the picture I uploaded. I just feel tired but that is normal! Lol.

Thinking of you all today.

<3 Rosie in So Cal

dioef8cwvytv.jpeg
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    Better late then never...here it goes.
    Firstly THANKYOU BARBIE! For starting Decembers post

Nov Goals were mostly not met...still broke out the credit cards $200 worth, haven't posted on eBay yet, didn't make a goals chart but may be addressing that tonight and didn't fill out the Ys financial aid form..YET

That said...I did lose five pounds in November and am VERY happy about that. I also did an excersize dvd w my friend...got some real belly laughs a good workout too..but I know myself and left on my own I would not make it through the routine.

December goals will be simpler...lose another five pounds...finish up a very important refi on my mortgage..begin posting on eBay for Christmas and start pedaling my fancy Recumbant bike in the VERY NEXT ROOM!

GRITS I'm so glad you are enjoying Cracker!

KATLA. Love the rescue story of the retired stud! How nice that you bonded. One of my horses was bred for racing his official name was SMOKING WIRE but he grew enormous as big as a warm blood and had the personality of an over friendly dog. He was an escape artist and bw that and his size becoming an issue at the gate..the track was going to be rid of him. My girlfriend at the time was his groom and fearing they were going to put him down she talked the owner into letting me have him. He was seventeen hands could run and jump beautifully and escape anything. We renamed him. DOPEY JOE

PIP. Glad you and Kirby are doing well and that you're back in the saddle again!

CHRIS yay Yay YAy YAY! Congrats you certainly worked hard for it!

MARY SCARY horse accident story! I'm so glad she is doing better! Wouldn't it be neat if she got that job near her house?

HEATHER thanks for letting us know you've arrived safely. Have a ball!

BARBIE I know the results came back from the nerve conduction test but you were waiting to get recommendations from your dr...did I miss that?

CAROL you are so brave dating again! I am just not ready yet. Have fun be safe and know you are beautiful!

GLOW did you have the official interview yet? If not good luck!

SYLVIA DJ & ALISON. You are all powers of example to me. Thank you for all you share especially the stories!

Hard day w my DD today. Her counselor wants her to go into inpatient psychiatric care. She's bipolar and rapidly cycling. It's hard to keep up with. I never know when she's coming in the door or up from her room wether sh will be super depressed or giddy. I do better sometimes than others at not being codependent...not giving in to her crazy requests, not letting myself become immobilized in dread and depression. She is doing well at this moment and I am enjoying her company. We like to watch everybody loves Raymond and untold stories of the ER. Some of the fondest memories I have of my mum are watching Family Feud and AFV.

Funny mouse story...watching my dog playing w something in its bowl in the front yard my kids and I went over to see..it was a tiny baby drowned mousy. Being me I fished it out and gave it a little push on its torso w my index finger. Well just like you rescucitate a person a dribble of water glugged out. And the the thankless little fellow lurched up and BIT ME on same finger right under the nail bed! Omgoodness I screamed like a sissy! To make things more absurd my mum says Gee, I hope it didn't have rabies! Which unnerved me enough that I called the ER to see if I should come in for some kind of shot and the male nurse that came to the phone couldn't even answer me he was laughing so hard! (As was the rest of my family). Only me! Did I mention my maiden name was MURPHY? It seriously never occurred to me that the little guy would be anything but grateful! Poor thing I probably scared him halfway back to death. Apparently no rabies. Lesson learned.

Have a good night
    Boston Mindz
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Sorry no time to read - will do tomorrow.
    Just wanted you to know I've arrived at the apartment, which is wonderful, and been out for a meal.
    More info tomorrow, but I am happy to be here :D
    It's looking good.
    Heather UK

Enjoy your time, it sounds wonderf to me. Glad you made the trip just fine.

Janetr OKC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    :'(Cheri, Your story about losing the ability to use the software for your Omron pedometer was the saddest story for me on all of today's thread. I have had my Omrom pedometer for years and love being able to look back to old entries and compare this month and year with months and years in the past. How great that you could bounce back and develop a good relationship with a FitBit to fill the gap.

:) I have an appointment with my doctor on Friday and I hope she has the results of the nerve conduction test and some plan for what to do next. I am fine taking life one day at a time and certainly better off than most people but I'd rather not spend the rest of my life wearing foot splints to bed and taking ibuprofen and Gabapentin if there is another solution.

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Strategy is stronger than willpower.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    16,000 steps
    143 minutes of dog walking
    100 minutes riding the exercise bike
    line dance class

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtont116008.gif
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Me selling glass yesterday

6qwplrxv4oxo.jpg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    :)Mia, You and the glassware are all beautiful
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,581 Member
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    Me selling glass yesterday

6qwplrxv4oxo.jpg

love it!!!! hope u sell lots!!!!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :'(Cheri, Your story about losing the ability to use the software for your Omron pedometer was the saddest story for me on all of today's thread. I have had my Omrom pedometer for years and love being able to look back to old entries and compare this month and year with months and years in the past. How great that you could bounce back and develop a good relationship with a FitBit to fill the gap.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtont116008.gif

I cannot even express how upset/angry/disappointed I was when he alerted me as to what he had done. I have owned 2 Omron pedometers. The first one did not up load then I graduated to the one that I could link to the computer. I so enjoyed those graphs of my successes day-to-day, week-to-week, month-to-month, well you understand.

He was so remorseful. Knowing that I have relied on a pedometer since, well forever to spur me on in my daily walking habit. He even told me to hold off getting the next best thing since I could still use the Omron.....well that all changed overnight.

Happy so far with the Fitbit Flex. Still learning the ropes.

Cheri NE Ohio
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Mia, I would have a hard time choosing since they are all beautiful!

Boston Mindz, great story! Thanks for sharing! I will be chuckling about that all night! As for your daughter, we have bipolar disorder rampant in my family. My kid sister is a rapid cycler. It is extremely hard to control with medication. Even the time honored Lithium has little effect. She really struggled. Then she met a man who was a tri-athelete and she started working out strenuously every day. Running, biking and swimming MILES every day. And it got her moods under complete control. That was thirty years ago, when she was in her early 20s. The only time she has had to take meds since then is when she was pregnant with a toddler and working full time and she just could not keep up the training schedule. She divorced that guy years ago, but still does her training every single day. Exercise is a great mood stabilizer, not just a mood lifter. I could never do what she has done, but it is one option. She will NOT miss a day of exercise.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Happy December!! I have my Christmas flag put up on the gazebo and Christmas coasters out but nothing else done. I am trying to get DH to finish the Christmas letter to go in our cards and get them out so people will have our new address.

Katla - I love that you got to commune with Silver Charm, how wonderful! Glad you are home safe and had a good trip. Have you read the Tao of Equus?

Mia - I love the glass! We have very high cupboards in our new kitchen that have glass fronts and display lights. My DD and I are finding colored glass pieces to put up there since they are not usable for much else but the pieces we have up there look gorgeous with just those lights on. We still need more pieces however.

Becca - Look up H2O wear or Water Wear. They have very good swimsuits, not cheap but guaranteed for one year against chlorine. I also like that they are completely lined not just in front. I have been in aquatics since 1968 and when I changed to these suits I went from buying 6-8 suits per year to buying two.

MaryMN - Well wishes to your DD on getting the job.

Welcome to the newbies!

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Rosie that looks nothing like the pictures I've seen so I wouldn't have thought about shingles either. I was just reading an article in the AARP newspaper about whether to get the shot in your 50s or 60s. I think they said that it was more successful in your 50s but that most insurance companies don't cover it until your 60s. I have to check on that because a few years ago when I inquired about it it would have cost me $200 to get the shot. I hope it goes away quickly and never returns and is not too painful.

Gloria still laughing in WA funny-tongue-wag-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,581 Member
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,363 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of deep water aerobics. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Gilad Body Sculpt DVD. After water aerobics I volunteer at a church's fundraiser. I plan to wear my elf costume. To be honest, I gave the material to the lady to make it (it's really only 4 seams) back in February or March. It would be better with a zipper. But the first one she made was SOOO small I had to have Vince take it off me. At least I can get this one off. But the material doesn't have any give to it. Now if she'd made it earlier, we'd have been able to have time to put in the zipper. But that's the way she works -- like Vince -- save things to the last minute.

janetr - Thanks for your concern. I'm fine today. It was just some weird thing last night. Congrats on all the "name calling"

Joyce - it really sounds more and more like you need a stitch

Mary - when God closes a door He opens a window. Only the best for your daughter.

Chris - woo hoot!!!!

Lenora - I've known kids who've had half-birthdays. Their birthday was real close to Christmas so they'd have the party and all the trimmings in June. Many times we'd have our kids parties (Feb & March) at the pool at the Holiday Inn

Exercised, then volunteered at a fundraiser then stopped in at the Salvation Army. Got a Christmas shirt for $3. and a water bottle (never used) for $2. Home to have some lunch (which I probably shouldn't have had) then dinner, then ceramics. I was invited to a ceramics Christmas party on the 11th. I don't like to sound like a scrooge, but in a way I don't really want to go. I need to bring a $10 wrapped gift which means I'll be getting something, and most times it's something that I really don't want. Need to bring a finger food also. That same day there is a mahjongg Christmas party which I probably should go to but all I need to bring is a side dish. Any ideas anyone? Wish it was Thanksgiving, I really liked the cheese turkey. I'll have to see if there's something Christmas related that I can do.

Boy, if I were to have counted my steps for today, I would be way beyond barbie. My "job" at the fundraiser was to bus tables so I spent the entire 2-1/2 hrs doing nothing but walking around, cleaning up, emptying trash, and so on

Gloria - my father wated to do exactly what your father did, he wanted to invite the people he wanted, very few of our friends, have the band he wanted. That's when we told him we'd pay for our own wedding.

Becca - just put my pic to you in the mail today

Mia - awesome glassware

Michele in NC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Mia - I am so impressed. Your glass is beautiful, such a talent. You also look lovely. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Mia - you look great! Your glass is awesome!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    MIa: great glass hope you did well!! Just beautiful!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well we paid for our own wedding. Both of us only had one attendant. He had his best friend who wore his Air Force dress uniform and my sister had a nice dress. Simple reception in the church's reception hall with cake and punch. We have been married for 43 years. You do not have to have all the fixings, band, everyone get drunk, big catered meal. All one has to do is be firm in what they can pay for and stick to it. My oldest daughter's relationship with her husband started over pink lemonade so they had that along with cake.

I also have a funny resuscitation story. It was a pretty slow evening a work. patients behaving themselves and low census. Our head nurse had a fish tank at home and they raised baby fish. She promised a baby fish to someone and forgot to give it to them. So it was sitting in her office in a gallon jar with a lid on it. The lid did have a couple of holes in it but not man. So she calls us at work to get housekeeping up ad unlock her door so we could get this fish out and see if it is belly up or not. Well it wasn't totally belly up but pretty close. We had a doctor that must have had a lousy home life because he stayed at the hospital for long hours and loved to sit and talk at the nurse's stations. So he told us how to resuscitate this poor baby fish. We put him a clean container, you know the ones they give you a bath from, fill it up and put an oxygen tubing in it and turn up the flow rate pretty high. So we did this and put our poor fishy in. Nothing happened and it was looking more and more lethargic by the minute. We didn't think the administration would think to highly of a code blue on a fish so we had to get more creative. So we took poor fishy by its tail and pulled him backwards since that's the way his fins open up and get oxygen. We had to take turns at this since we did have work to do. But eventually our patient starting swimming on it's own! We were then able to pass the fish on to it's newest owner on the night shift.

Mary, I am sorry your daughter was treated like that. I hope this next job will be hers and she finds joy in it.

Katla, the place you were at is right down the road from where my daughter used to live. If I am not mistaken, this place is used as part of the training through the equine degree at Georgetown College where both my girls went to school. It is truly a lovely place. They have several retirement farms or rescue farms for old or sick horses in Kentucky. It truly is a state that loves their horses.

Charlie had his appointment today. He was so worried that he would be given some awful diagnosis or told his Parkinson's was progressing or something like that. She said it is carpal tunnel and he needs to use a brace. He has an appointment to see a hand doctor. They are trying to get all of this done by the end of the year so he can meet his deductible but I don't see how it can be. Get an appointment, do an EMG, do surgery all by the end of the year. Uh, no. He is a funny guy at times. This man never used a cell phone until he had his heart attack and he knew if he went walking he had to have it. He has now got hooked on the kind of pictures my phone takes vs his. Also my videos are much much better. So tonight when he was out doing his Karaoke thing, he had to go to the Bathroom. His stools are pretty semi or formed now unless he has downright diarrhea. So he was sitting in the bathroom just waiting to see if he would have any more and he got bored so he called me while he was sitting on the john.

Love you all, Joyce, Indiana