Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,811 Member
    I forgot ... So sad Lisa about your nephew ... The insurance situation just adds insult.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Grits~ That is awesome that you can appreciate skinny jeans, but still appreciate all you have gone thru to get to where you are today. My mantra in my head has been "to walk thru this world with grace and be willowy". I think if I was Less of Me, then I would be more sure of myself, more sure-footed that is for certain. I have some black leggings that are fleece lined. I have worn them under my sweats on cold walking days. Very comfy.
    Pip~ ((((hugs))) I can appreciate the importance of sleeping with your mate. For me, it grounds me, and is a nice way to end the day. You have been thru so much, yet you are always moving forward. Your past brought you to this moment. Your past has made you appreciate every moment like a gift. So let the "now" stand on its own. You and Kirby are survivors. It has a way of changing how you look at life, that is for sure. (((hugs)))).
    Becca
  • Annr
    MFP Advent Calendar
    Dec 21st~ And in the tiny manger crib nestled in the hay,
    surrounded by a radiance, our Saviour Jesus lay.

Becca
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
  • Annr
    I know I know, I need to not smack my head on steps for attention....

Oh I rec'd a huge poinsettia (bush) that I have on the top stairs landing, for both my neighbor and I to enjoy. I look at it today, and there are about 5 branches broken off. It still looks OK but wow, I didn't think people did that here.... They must have done it during the night, because I can hear anyone walking up the stairs.

Glad you all are enjoying the calendar. I enjoy looking at you all during the day!

I am so grateful with finding this site, and all you amazing, motivating people. There are some key ideas I have realized:

-That it is not easy to eat healthy when you get 40% of your food from food banks.
    -That I am stronger than I dare admit, or acknowledge.
    -That life has its own heartbeat, you have to tap into it, and live it.
    -That I will never just settle for how my life is presented to me, I will live my best self, I deserve that.
    -That I will never mind read a situation, or presume, I will ask questions, gain insight.
    -That I will always communicate with people using all my senses, actively listening.

So my key phrase currently is "The key to living isn't being perfect, but to live life being whole. (one of you typed that I think)
    (((hugs))))
    Becca
    Oregon
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) We have two TVs and headphones for each so it's possible to have someone watch TV while other things are going on in the same room. We have two bathrooms. We have two bedrooms and more often than not, sleep in separate rooms at night. When we take afternoon naps we sleep together in the king size bed with all the pets. We are each on our own for all meals except at midday and we plan that one ahead of time together with all our health and calorie issues kept in mind. We also have separate computers. Life doesn't get any better than this. :)

:)

Cheri NE Ohio
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,037 Member
    Stats for the day

spin- 45min, 83ar, 118aw, 13-15g, 130ahr, 159mhr, 18.4mi = 432
    Physical therapy- various 35min 10min stretching

ar = average revolutions -how fast i'm pedaling per minute
    aw = average watts -how much power i'm putting out per minute
    g or ag = average gear -on spin bike, they are 1-24
    ahr = average heart rate
    mhr = maximum heart rate
    c = calories
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Becca - and you do your job very well. :)

Janetr okc
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,585 Member
    We have separate bathrooms and I don't hire a holiday home without that. We share a very large bed, but I nearly always migrate in the night, like tonight, and end up in another room reading. I get back in the big bed to have breakfast together which DH makes. I get up to make the first cup of tea and bring it upstairs to have in bed with DH. We have our best chats then.
    One of the things I love about DH is that he respects my need for my own space, but we spend a lot of time together, just bumbling along. I was touched when the house painter said that our house had such a lovely atmosphere, filled with our laughter and that we clearly had a great relationship. How nice is that! :D We do laugh a lot and we take care to touch base with each other all the time and pay each other compliments and thank each other for small things. This did not come naturally to me - I had to learn how to do it through studying self help books. I did not do it in my first marriage, to my regret.

Kim - The answer to your question is, no I don't. Or very rarely. I basically am a minimal present giver and honestly would prefer to give even fewer. Every year I think I might have a year of no presents, but I only managed it once when we were away in Morocco over Christmas. I'm even a scrooge with the grandchildren and try to keep toy giving to one thing. Then give clothes and a book. I don't give Christmas presents to even close friends, only close family. I hate feeling obligated to give things or do things and basically feel that the whole season is crazy. I might give a card as a token . I would love to go away for Christmas to somewhere where it was not celebrated. :D Most people I know feel the same and I am rarely surprised by a gift. If absolutely pressed I would find a pot of home made jam, but I prefer not to be put in that position.
    I don't really give birthday presents to friends either, unless I am invited to a party. I try to remember to send a card.

I think I am the same with most things - the less the better. My brain easily gets clogged up and I like to clear it out and pare things down. I easily get overwhelmed so like to keep things simple.
    It's my need to be in control, I guess. :ohwell:

Love to all, Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    Thx Annr for your words, u r wise beyond your years
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
  • pipcd34
    pmtsiilhv7ku.jpeg
    New app puts a twist on a pic
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Pip - what app is that? It is so cool!

Mary from Minnesota
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    pmtsiilhv7ku.jpeg
    New app puts a twist on a pic

Wow! Looks like a portrait. Very nice.

Cheri
  • erinden
    erinden Posts: 12 Member
    Great goals, Katla49. Sleep and fun are really important!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    I hate to say it, Barbie, but after being single for 22 years, I don't think I could manage living with someone even with all that separation! I am too used to my own space.

:) It has been over 20 years since I've had any children living in my house and I don't think I could manage having children here again.....it is so wonderful that you and I can be so different from each other and make such meaningful lives for ourselves.

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,467 Member
    pip - my heart goes out to you

Mia and Janet - wouldn't the shingles vaccination be covered 100% under Obamacare since it's preventive?

Did another segment of the Butt Lift DVD. This was a short one, I think probably only about 5 minutes. Then held my plank for 2 min 46 sec. Yes, that's the same time as last week. Maybe next week I'll be able to add another second. Then the extremepump class.

The plan for tomorrow is to do some HIIT. HIIT burns more calories, and at this time of year, I certainly can use extra calorie burn.

janet - when my kids were litle they had the chickenpox and they kindly shared them with their father. Even taking care of the kids and sleeping with the biggest kid, I never got them. So I'm assuming that I must have had them (or at least a mild case of them) when I was too small to remember. Sounds like you're going to be having a wonderful Christmas. How I envy you! I, too, try to freeze as much as I can, but the fish really can't be made ahead of time. However, I will probably do all the prep work the day before so all I have to do is put it in the oven. Fortunately, it doesn't take very long in the oven. I think I've only been to one cookie swap. As I recall, I made only one kind of cookie and then brought multiple dishes of it (like maybe 6 plates of them). Everyone else makes one type of cookie and brings multiple dishes. You give them one of your dishes and you take one of theirs. What I didn't like was that sometimes I got cookies that I didn't like and/or couldn't eat. Here's the nutritionals (and recipe) for the cheese sausage cheese balls I make, they are diet friendly (and tasty)

3 cups Original Bisquick® mix
    1 pound bulk pork sausage
    4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (16 ounces)
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed
    1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley or 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes

1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease bottom and sides of jelly roll pan, 15 1/2x10 1/2x2x1 inch.
    2. Stir together all ingredients, using hands or spoon. Shape mixture into 1-inch balls. Place in pan.
    3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until brown. Immediately remove from pan. Serve warm with sauce for dipping.
    High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) Heat oven to 375ºF. Decrease Bisquick to 2 1/2 cups; stir in 1/2 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour. Bake 25 to 30 minutes.

Do-Ahead Tip
    Want to make these savory cheese balls ahead? Your options are many! You can:
    Cover and refrigerate unbaked balls up to 24 hours. Bake as directed.
    Cover and freeze unbaked balls up to 1 month. Heat oven to 350ºF. Place frozen balls on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until brown.
    Bake as directed; cover and freeze up to 1 month. Heat oven to 350ºF. Place frozen balls on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until heated through.
    Bake as directed; cover and freeze up to 1 month. Place 6 frozen balls on microwavable plate. Loosely cover with waxed paper. Microwave on High 45 seconds to 1 minute or until heated through.
    Success
    It's true. You don't need to cook the sausage before using it when making this recipe.
    Nutrition Information:
    1 Cheese Ball: Calories 40 (Calories from Fat 25); Total Fat 2 1/2g (Saturated Fat 1 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 95mg; Total Carbohydrate 2g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 0g); Protein 2g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 4%;

Must be the cream cheese that increases the calorie count. I've even taken these to Mexican Train, and others will eat them.

Heather - very few of my cookies end up in the trash. What Vince will eat, I keep for him. The others I divide and have to give to the Y and the place where I take the extremepump class. The rest get donated to the soup kitchen. Then at least they're out of my house. To me, it just seems weird not to have family gatherings/parties, etc at your house but rather rent a place for multiple days. Like Bryan's wedding reception lasted for 3 days. To me, that's excessive. But you had your hubby's birthday at another place for multiple days. Guess that's the way things are done over there. Are you feeling OK? "All urge to cook has fled"

Lenora - the Wii keeps telling me that a healthy weight for me would be about 116lbs. That's not going to happen -- at least not in this lifetime. My doc has never told me what weight I should be at, probably because he knows that I'd counter him with "how can you say a number and not take into account muscle mass? I have a pair of these fleece lined leggings for my elf costume. They are a small and I really should have a medium. Unfortunately, there's not a tag or anything inside of them to tell me who the manufacturer is.

Penny - many times when we have a present that's too big, we take a picture of it and wrap the picture. Like last year we gave Jess a TV. There was no way we could wrap that. This year we sent Denise a blowdryer before Christmas because hers was shorting out so she could use the new one. We took a picture of it before we sent it to her and wrapped that.

Betty - I fully undertand your feelings about your daughter. I know that I'll most likely never see Bryan again. I probably won't even be told about any children that he may have, much less get to see them (even by Skype). Heck, when Vince had his heart operation, Bryan never even called to say "is daddy OK, how did the operation go". when the kids were little I had stockings (crochet) made with each of their names on it. It pains me when I see his. As far as I know, he hasn't gotten anything for the girls for christmas. So I totally understand what you're feeling. I'm crying as I type this. To anyone who is concerned about the miles between you and your child, be happy that they're on the same continent as you! Enough.......

I got these Dove mint candies for 1/2 price (plus I used a coupon), so I'll take them to the senior bowling along with the spinach/feta. Vince already told me that it probably won't be eaten and I've told him that I don't care, I don't mind bringing it home.

Irish Terry - WTG on that coat. Bet it looks great on you. Loved the poem, nice message.

Chris - good for you coming back, poor elliptical (lol). Congrats on the no more bp meds. How wonderful that you have a man in your life! Life sure is good

Cheryl - so sorry to hear about your MIL. You've been missed. Congrats on the weight loss!

Miriam - each year someone always gets underwear. This year it'll be Jess' new BF of the moment. You are so good to those girls, I'm sure they'll never forget it.

Mia - the spinach feta is on Skinny Taste. Oh, I took two of them to the senior bowling Christmas party. Vince said that they wouldn't get eaten. I also took some Dove mint candies. He said they'd be totally gone. Well, at the end of the party when I picked up my plate of the spinach feta, there were 2 pieces left which I eventually gave to one gal who said she really like it. there were quite a few of the Dove left behind. Goes to show ya..... You put a smile on my face as to why doctors "practice"

Vicki - prayers for your husband

Mindy - that was so nice of your ex to do

erinden - welcome to a great group

Kim - our Christmas Eve is non-meat, all fish. This is the one time in the year when I make pierogi from scratch. Maybe it wasn't me. I may have commented on what to have for Christmas dinner. But in the meantime Denise's flight was changed so we will need to leave to take her to the airport at about 11 which means we won't get home until around 3 or 4. I honestly don't have anything bought.

Michele in NC
  • Annr
    mentally I have adopted you all.....just so ya know.
    Becca feeling Blessed.
  • Annr
    wow, OK I have changed a wee bit from one year to the next.
    Last Christmas:
    672722ce-a917-430b-9a46-83bcc33c91fe_zpswgrkjx4f.jpg

Sept 2015:

59496a09-80af-4b3c-8600-42171bf0f2b1_zpsddo96fte.jpg

Becca