Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Miriam - what's even more surprising is it was through his work and he took it out just prior to his suicide. Only in his kids name and my friend even sued for half the policy and got both. It was Medtronic and maybe they had a say.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,467 Member
    Did the Karen Voit abs and Back Pilates DVD. Not sure how long it is since my timer went out. Must have been for 30 to 45 minutes. The plan for tomorrow is to do some more of the Butt Burn DVD, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

katla - our vet told us that most cats (and dogs) can take a bit of chocolate, just not a whole lot. So sorry you had to get your dog's stomach pumped

janet - sounds like you're having a feast for a king. Just hope you're not too tired to eat it! Your cream cheese sausage balls sound like the cheese sausage balls that I make. Lenora - they ARE very good and easy to make.

Lenora - trust me, you don't need to tell me that cats have a mind of their own. They are happy to be petted -- but when THEY want it. You know that saying, Dogs say "My owners must be gods because they feed and take care of me" Cats say "my owners feed and take care of me, I MUST be a god".

jane - welcome back! So sorry about your friend. Cute pic about the spam. I always seem to have trouble making those spritz cookies. The idea that you can just press the cookie press and get a perfectly shaped cookie sounds so inviting. But invariably, it never seems to come out perfectly or part of it sticks to the press. I've gotten to where I'll use that recipe, but form the dough into balls and bake them.

Made the apple pie for Christmas Eve. I admit, that I did have some of the crumb crust. Perhaps, just perhaps, I can still pull out a good calorie count for the rest of the day. Also made two of the spinach/feta quiches to take to the senior bowling. Don't know how they'll go over, but I won't mind bringing that home. So many of the seniors like things like fried chicken (gag) and chips (double gag). One lady said that she was going to bring a veggie tray, so maybe I'll just pile up with the veggies.

Kim - I'm the same way, I usually will choose logging over reading the posts. To me, logging is more important.

Went to WalMart to get some stocking stuffers. Why Vince waits for the last minute is beyond me. Or else he depends on me to get it, then tells me that it's not the right thing.

Alison - congrats on that bonus...bummer you won't see it.

Lisa - I can't imagine what your family is going thru

While we were at WalMart I found a package of 5 (don't know why it's 5 and not 6) dice. See, the lady whose house I play mahjongg on Monday has dice that are rounded on the corner, same as mine. These aren't rounded. So I put them in a Christmas bag and wrapped them in a big box. I'll take it to her tomorrow night.

karen - big congrats to your daughter

Becca - how I can relate to you missing your TOPS friends. While it isn't the exact same thing, I still think fondly about the people at the bowling alley we used to be at. Fortunately, many of the same people are at the bowling alley we are at right now, but some of them aren't and I think of them so much. Sprinkling Rosettes with salt...how funny. Oh my goodness! What happened to your eye? Oh, that's right, now I remember you telling us about your fall. You milk that for everything you can.

One hard thing about Christmas is that I like to have a big Christmas Eve dinner. Denise's plane leaves around 1:30 which means we'll get home probably around 3 or 4. Now what to do for dinner Christmas day? I don't have anything bought, and the stores won't be open on Christmas. Any ideas? I'm thinking christmas will be leftovers from Christmas Eve and then Jessica will probably want to have a dinner the next day (she wanted one on Christmas last year) so we can go to the store and buy something that day. I'm guessing she and Colby won't leave until Sunday.

Sylvia - I remember when the heater was broken for weeks at the Y. I used to wear this long sleeved tight shirt. Admitted, it faded from the chlorine, but I really didn't want it anyway.

DJ - as you know, if I have cookies left over and no one but me will eat them, I donate them to the soup kitchen. I like to make my cookies small. Actually, I've found (I know this sounds crazy but it works) that when I need to portion out how much for each cookie, instead of a teaspoon I use a baby food spoon. Those spoons are pretty small. Maybe that's what your friend uses for the fruit cake cookies to get them small. When a cookie is big, I many times don't want it all. But I feel bad about throwing so much of it away, especially if I know that someone has made them from scratch.

Lenora - one thing I am NOT good at is making a bow. I should have the gal at the Green Room show me, maybe she can show me some tricks. That's one of the hardest things for me to do.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,037 Member
    hey peeps, - i have been deep in thought about abunch of stuff
    katla - bullwinkle, just got bloodwork done and tests to make sure she was healthy enough to get the surgery done and she is. on jan 8th.

love the pic of the tree, purdy..

christmas brings back memories of my late husband. he's always on my mind but especially during christmas. he had a seizure on christmas day and we spent the day in the hospital. early the next year we found out he was HIV positive.

in talking to kirby and seeing how things could have turned out worse, and i could have lost another husband for the holidays just got me emotional. he says although his goal is to start riding the day he is scheduled to go back to wok (jan 10) he still has nerve damage from what he says is from the neck down. he says he feels numb and tingly all the time. when he tried running last friday, he said he couldn't control his feet the way he should. nerve damage takes the longest to heal if at all. he says he will be ok if he never runs again. he says its different with bike riding because his feet are clipped in and it's just a circular motion that he is having to do. the thought of him not ever running again just shook me. last night was the first night that we slept together, it was a test to see how it would be with yogi in the bed and not hurting him and i guess it went well, it felt good to have him there.
    type to ya later.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Becca - you made me laugh out loud. :)

Janetr
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Hang in, Pip, and hang on to Kirby. Glad you're back in the same bed... it will make it that much more real that he's there, you haven't lost him too. Thinking about you.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Rori: Hugs! I agree with this sentiment: " All I want for Christmas is a life as peaceful, happy and fun as our pets'. Here's to a great rest of the season."
    :bigsmile:

janetr: Thanks for the spam warning. :wink: :bigsmile:

Betty: Your tree is beautiful! :flowerforyou:

Becca: Your poor shiner. :heart:

Michele: "You know that saying, Dogs say, "My owners must be gods because they feed and take care of me." Cats say, "my owners feed and take care of me, I MUST be a god." So true! :laugh:

Pip & Kirby. Back in the same bed is definitely progress. Congratulations!

We're still keeping a very low profile and still have the flu. This is flu day #15 for me. I came down with it first. BLEAH! My sportsmanship is past its pull date. DD wants me to join her in January for a road trip from Colorado to Illinois. I am hoping to be done with this mess in time to go but chicken to commit to airfare.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »

30881843.png

Katla, if you want your weight loss ticker to show, go to your home page and click on "APPS". then click on tickers and there is a place at the top to click a box to say that you want your ticker to be public.....click in the square, then click on "save changes" and it will show up in your posts again.

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,199 Member
    Betty love the tree. I noticed the stocking in the background. My mom knit us stockings like that one.

Lisa Prayers. It is hard anytime, but this time of year makes it even harder.

:heart: Margaret
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Janetr - I just read where you said you were going to get the shingles vaccination. My understanding from my doctor is that once you have had shingles the vaccination will not work until you have been clear for a year. You might want to check so that you don't waste your money on a vaccination that is ineffective at this point in time.

Also, did anyone warn you that as long as you have blisters your shingles are contagious? I found that out when I couldn't have a colonoscopy because I was still contagious. The good news is that you are contagious only to those people who have not had chicken pox as that is the disease you would be spreading. Best to be aware.

Mia in MI
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,525 Member
    Good night all...I have to go to bed and get up and work for 3 days..... First time I have worked the week of Christmas in 22 years.... and my co-workers (who are taking holidays) tell me it is boring and slow!! Really !! I have lots of work to do...Minutes to finish, filing...

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • janetr7476
    edited December 2015
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    Janetr - I just read where you said you were going to get the shingles vaccination. My understanding from my doctor is that once you have had shingles the vaccination will not work until you have been clear for a year. You might want to check so that you don't waste your money on a vaccination that is ineffective at this point in time.

Also, did anyone warn you that as long as you have blisters your shingles are contagious? I found that out when I couldn't have a colonoscopy because I was still contagious. The good news is that you are contagious only to those people who have not had chicken pox as that is the disease you would be spreading. Best to be aware.

Mia in MI

My doctor is the one that told me to come back and get a shingles vaccination when these were all cleared up, so that's what I was going on. Yes I'm aware of being contagious. All of the family have either had chicken pox already or else the younger ones are all vaccinated now along with all their other vaccinations. I called them and informed them all that I have shingles so as to let them make their own decision, that way its on them lol No one seemed to think it was a problem. Thanks for the advice. :)

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    edited December 2015
    Michele wrote - "janet - sounds like you're having a feast for a king. Just hope you're not too tired to eat it! Your cream cheese sausage balls sound like the cheese sausage balls that I make. Lenora - they ARE very good and easy to make."

Bless your sweet heart. If you were close enough I'd hug you, well only if you've had chicken pox already lol I can not remember a time in my entire life that I have been too tired to eat, but I would love that I think. I am definitely a food aholic and have never in my life missed a chance to eat. Even tho now I have learned to practice portion control and wise choices.

NOTE: By the way gals, the cream cheese sausage balls are NOT the best choice :) You have to practice moderation with them for sure.

Love you all, Janetr
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Mary, that is interesting about the life insurance and suicide due to mental illness. It does seem that PTSD should be an exception as well.

Heather, you are right, “so much for avoiding Christmas”! I’d stick to your guns on cooking. I don’t know about there, but here there are all kinds of places (grocery stores) that cook the whole meal and sell it at a fixed price. You could possibly do that and just add a side or two? Is there any way your son could come after the holiday so you could have a nice visit together? (((Hugs)))

Karen, congrats to your DD on getting in the college of her choice. Brace yourself for the costs and that “empty nest”. It is what got me when our only child went off to college. :'(

Katla, I know it’s a sad time for you as your DD moves to IL. Even when we plan a low-keyed Christmas it is often sad when the time comes and it’s somewhat of a letdown. Ahhh the great memories of when we were young and/or when our children were young. Weren’t those great times? You have been sick way too long. Your time is up and you need to get well.

Rori, just the thought of walking up 5th Ave sounds wonderful!! Thanks for the great picture!!! You look wonderful. I’d love to join you there. Sorry your DH has to wait, but then maybe won’t even need the surgery? Sending healing thoughts and prayers his way.

Kimses, I’m just so impressed that you are doing the P903X. Way to go and hopefully the knees will get better soon.

Janetr, I actually used to like Spam. :)  I can hear the joy in your words as you talk about having everyone there. I hope you all have a wonderful time!! (((Hugs)))

Betty, beautiful tree!!! I feel for those that get hit with the Christmas blues. It is such a time of celebration but can also be such a time of loneliness and isolation. I hope each of you feel the love that is shared in this group and the wishes for each day to be better than the day before.

Becca, the only question is, “what does the other guy look like?” Hope it doesn’t hurt much.

MicheleNC, making bows isn’t that hard if you do have someone to show you how. Then it’s just a matter of a little practice. I worked part time in a florist when I was in college and learned there.

Pip, I understand how the thought of Kirby never running again could make you emotional, along with everything else this time of year. But….it sounds like it is a miracle that he is doing as well as he is and I’m glad that he says it’s no big deal. Hopefully in time the nerves will heal, but like you said, it is a slow process. Good news that it worked out to sleep together and Yogi didn’t hurt anyone. You belong together.

Janetr, I guess it goes with the name, but I can’t remember ever being too tired to eat either. Before sensible eating I used to make a wonderful breakfast casserole for Christmas morning that had fresh apples, dried cranberries, sliced French bread and eggs. I liked that it was mixed the night before and put in the fridge overnight all ready to stick in the oven the next morning. Plus it was sooooo good!

Wow, I’m caught up for the first time in a few days. Tomorrow night I have a Women of the Moose meeting and then will spend one last night with my friend. She is going with me if not too tired from riding with her daughter to run errands. I’m sure many of you will be busy with family and friends this week, not to mention Santa, but know I am sending the best and warmest wishes for the season. <3

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • janetr7476
    edited December 2015
    DJ - Thanks and you're right, I am joyful and excited and going to enjoy every last minute of it. Have not had them all together for Christmas in so many years I can't even remember. It would be one family or the other, or most of both families but not all, so I'm thrilled. Thank you again.

lol It may be all of us Janet's for sure that don't miss a meal. The breakfast casserole sounds fantastic. I won't be eating much of most of this stuff I made, but I'll taste it. The one I made can be frozen ahead of time, then put in the fridge over night and baked in the morning. I was trying for find everything I could make ahead and freeze to be able to just enjoy my time when the kids are here.

Following is what Becca told me when I inquired about "the other guy", made me laugh out loud. Becca wrote "ah Janetr I shall be better in no time. I am slathering it with coconut oil. Oh THAT dude...he had no chance whatsoEVER...I sang a high C and he fled haha.
    Becca
    your friend with a voice to scare ELK. "

Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,585 Member
    I know I ask this question every year, but I'm going to ask it again as I am completely baffled - what is it with the cookies? Are you all trying to kill each other? :laugh:
    I'm convinced no one actually eats them and they all end up in the trash after you've laboured over them and swapped them. At least, I hope they end up in the trash and not in people's actual stomachs.
    To someone from the UK it just seems the weirdest tradition!

Fortunately this year I have nothing Christmassy in the house. I am eating my normal food until Christmas Day in London. Still haven't resolved my dilemma of the visitors and whether to tell my son before hand. I feel quite cross about it all, to be honest. I am more than happy to pay for a nice pub dinner out of my own pocket, but DH is strangely reluctant. Not sure why. Well, I am sticking to my guns - I am not cooking. He feels I am not being welcoming to his family. That's not it. I don't like things being foisted on me, I don't like not being told who exactly to expect (beds etc) and I do not like my plans for my rarely seen son being disrupted. Like most men I don't think he has thought it through.

We are going to the store today to buy two new toilet seats, some strong picture hooks to finish off the kitchen and some wood floor wipes.
    Don't know what to have for dinner. :ohwell: All urge to cook has fled. :'(

Love Heather UK
  • janetr7476
    edited December 2015
    Heather - Well I've never been to a cookie "swap" so not sure what people do with them. But I can guarantee you the ones I have made for my kids and grandkids will definitely be eaten. :)

Janetr OKC

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Well after reading 3 pages, I had it all in my itsy bitsy brain what I was going to write but my husband kept on interrupting me. So now I am brainless!

Cantata went very well. We had a young girl, around 13 sing her 1st solo. When we first started this cantata practice she was so unsure of herself and could hardly get a note out. This morning it was so clear and special. She was beaming from ear to ear. I was really surprised, I was out shopping with Michelle today and she said she had intended to get up and go see it but didn't. Getting up before 1 PM is not her cup of tea. But I enjoyed knowing that she was going to. I think the last time she set her foot in a church was the day she got married. I think that was 10 years ago. Plus it just shows how much she loves me. We went to Kohl's, Christina had finally answered my text to give me some ideas on another gift for Trinity. And boy did she give me ideas. She takes picutres of a web page and then gives me the number if the picture of the exact thing Trin wants. So she sent ideas for about 25 costume rings from Kohls. Well I bought 7 of them!!!! i had no idea they were going to cost $112!!!!! She also wanted a 2 inch curling iron. But when I priced those I just said to my little ol' self that I just said no. Now the smaller curling irons were as cheap as $10 but it was rare to find the 2 inch. So I just scratched her name off as finished! I needed a stocking for Ellie, most of her money was spent on actual gifts. Her Mom said she was starting to knit, although not doing well and wanted to try cross stitch. Well that was right down my alley and I knew her Mom could help her so I did get a kids starting cross stitch kit that was in her pink and purples. I hope I can help her. If I can, I might just get me a bigger kit. One year I made every family lovely wall hanging but have never made me one. Also the sweatshirts, One year I made 13, I have never made one for myself.

Lisa, I can not imagine what you and your family are going through. Not only the suicide but the whole story is unfathomable. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Your Christmas eve caroling sounds wonderful.

When I was talking about clearing out my Mom's apartment, we knew she was not coming home. We knew she would be going Home, the eternal Home. I took her to the emergency room one night in January with her hip pain. Her doctors had been treating it for a long time. It took one eR doctor about 15 minutes and 1 simple xray to tell him that her hip was broken. Mom had told the doctors months before that she had heard it pop when she was walking down her hallway. But they all said that because she was still walking that it couldn't be broken. So she had agonizing pain for several months. My Mom had taken nothing stronger than Extra strength Tylenol for years for ehr bone on bone pain, scoliosis, herniated disc, everything and she finally had to resort to these huge narcotic patches that my stupid brain can't thing of the name of. So the next day she had her hip repaired and he said it was cancer. When the biopsy came back they found that the cancer was actually kidney cancer that had spread to her hip. She refused any treatment because we were told she would have 6 months whether she had chemo or not. So after being in the hospital she went to a real good rehab place that had an excellent rehab to home. My sister and I were going to be her care givers with hospice. The independent/assisted living facility she lived in was going to waive all charges for assisted living because of who Mom was. She did well at first and then started to do less and less due to pain and forgetfullness. They had a wonderful nurse practitioner there that had worked for the inpatient visiting nurse hospice and recommened we for there first for pain control and then she be transferred back to her apartment with hospice in her home with my sister and I. At this time we were told she had 3-4 months left. On the first morning at hospice when the hospice doctor checked her he said she had 3 weeks. We were of course devastated. She died in 2 weeks, an awful painful death. Due to the dose of Morphine she was on, she was never awake after about 4 days. So that is why we started cleaning out her apartment. Plus the fact that her rent was $1500/month.

OK, I think I went rambling through my Mom's life to much. She died March 2011 and one of the things I was so mad about was that I never knew what Mom had planned to get me for my birthday in March. I know now that I was suing that to be mad at her disease. I wrote a journal the whole time she was in rehab and hospice. I haven't got it out since. But I let every feeling out, whether it was mad, love, sadness, wahteverl Many times I couldn't sleep at night by her bedside because the thoughts were jsut running through my mind and i couldn't stop them. If I read it who knows, it might be pure incoherent thoughts.

OK, time to be quiet. I jsut love the holiday so much and it is such a wonderful loving time and my parents were the head of that. And now I know they are together walking those streets of gold, holding hands and stealing little kisses all the time. And they are now united with their oldest daughter who died of bone cancer when she was 20. Whew, I keep on going.

Nite, nite, Joyce, INdiana
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    heather cookie swaps and plates of cookies are embedded in the holiday as a gift, party staple and the first thing i hand folks when visiting here. Loved baking all kinds with my dd and always send a box to my nephews in florida. They have to taste good, look good and not be too difficult to bake. Those boys ask me in november, when are the cookies coming?

Stand your ground about not cooking christmas dinner, your husband says he doesnt want to eat out so he has to step up. I am sorry you are so stressed by the situation with your son being So uncomfortable. Maybe you can make a plan to visit in the future with him alone. My husbands family is spontaneous, thats putting it diplomatically, plans constantly change, i have learned i have to be clear about what i can handle, luckily my dd supports this (they drive him crazy as well). Hang in there.
    Karen from ny
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,811 Member
    Good mor