Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Replies

• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Good Morning Ladies!

I've been keeping up although not posting much lately, alot has been going on in my life the past month. I see that we have some newcomers to the group, welcome. This group of wonderful women have helped me in ways that I never imagined possible especially since I have never met any of you in person...yet.

My quick backstory, I'm 59, self-employed and single. In May 2014, I was squeezing into size 14's (I'm 5'3-3/4"), had a huge financial setback,the man with whom I was involved with for over a decade decided to end our relationship without warning, and I had stopped smoking the month before. I was a mess. In September 2014 I decided that my life was spinning out of control, but I did have control over what I ate and how much exercise I got. I let out my anger, hurt and frustration on my very dusty elliptical machine. I began logging on MFP, began to lose a little weight, got a fitbit, lost some more and slowly began to regain my life. I still had my financial problems, and no man in my life, but I was much better at dealing with life. I slept better, ate better, and was ready to tackle every day in a much better frame of mind. For the first time in years, I felt good about the way I looked and as I got smaller, had a blast haunting thrift stores for beautiful clothes at rock bottom prices.

Many thanks to Mary in MN who is my strength training mentor and to Carol in NC who inspired me to try online dating because she had the courage to do it.

Today I am 45 lbs. thinner and wear size 6-8. I've been told that I look 10 years younger and I feel 20 years younger. I stopped take blood pressure meds and hopefully my followup doctor visit today will confirm that all is well. The most surprising thing is that I met a man thru the dating site a couple of weeks ago and we are now dating. We are quite smitten with each other. He says I'm beautiful and have a great body. I say thank you, not letting on how huge a complement this is, how I never thought of myself that way, but now I actually can believe it.

Does this work? You bet!
    Is it easy? Not at all. But...you will find all sorts of strength and support here. Sometimes we need a shoulder to cry on and sometimes we need a pat on the back. You will find it here along with tips, funny and inspirational stories.

I wish each and every one of you a Healthy, Happy Holiday Season! Thank you so much for your help. I wish I could reach out and give each and every one of you a huge hug.

May 2016 bring us all joy, health and happiness!

Chris in MA
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Chris ~ Congrats on how you have turned your life around. You are really inspiring.

I have not gotten on the scale in over 2 weeks. I have been slowly regaining the weight I lost and am afraid if I keep this up I will be back up to 171 which is where I started 2 yrs ago. Last week I managed to eat a whole fruit cake that my Bnl sends for Christmas each yr. I don't even like fruit cake that much. I have not made any Christmas treats/sweets but have had some given to DH and of course I have to try them. Praying that I will get back on track soon and exercise. I want to join a nearby gym but am too intimidated to walk in there.

Carol
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Carol, if you are too intimidated to walk into the gym, just start walking around and you will eventually feel less intimidated because walking around is all you really have to start doing! For me, I had to start by myself, can't deal with aerobic class or any kind of large group exercise program. Where I live, it is all young people and gymlunks so I never wanted to go into the gym, but once I started walking around my neighborhood I started to feel better. Once I started to feel better, I didn't binge eat like I usually do, slow but sure I started losing weight and feeling more energetic which equaled more confidence and I did go to the gym for the winter months. I do ignore the skinny young things and pay attention to the music I listen to on the treadmill/elliptical/stationery bike. Get moving, keep moving, this will eventually feel better than how you feel right now. Okay? :sweat: Karen from NY
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Happy Monday ! ! !

It’s going to take me WAY too long to catch up, so I’m going to jump to the most recent page. Sorry to anyone I missed. Know that I have been sending telepathic hugs all weekend.

Penny – My Dad handed down the color-blind gene to both of his grandsons. You can’t imagine my relief when, while meeting with a teacher whose class he was struggling in, the teacher said “I don’t understand why he doesn’t turn in his assignments, then I find them in his folder. He only needs to put the finished project into the green basket, then pick it up after class from the red basket”. Well, since the ONLY problem I listed on his sheet is color blind, I guess you will need to relabel the baskets (the remainder of the year the green one said “Payne, put your assignment here” and “Payne, pick up your graded assignment here”). As for my Dad, my sisters and I spent tons of energy buying him ugly ties and telling him they matched some completely ridiculous combinations of suits. I finally told him the truth a few months ago. Good thing both of them can take a joke.

Grits – Many years ago when DD was still little, we used a baby monitor. Occasionally it would cross with a neighbors phone, and I could hear her discussing things with her husband, a high ranking police officer, and work or making supper or something. It came across both signals offered by that monitor, so I told them about it, so they could switch phone signals. They didn’t believe me at first, until I told him what he would be having for supper that night, and I never heard anything on the monitor again. Funny ! It amazes me how public and at the same time private we might think of our lives.

Margaret – So intuitive of you, changing the direction of celebrating Christmas. Some years I’m sorry I didn’t continue my Mom’s celebrations, but most years I’m thankful to not have to work so hard to feed everyone and attempt to make everyone else happy. I worry about me, DS, and DH (and DD when she is available), and the rest can let me know how to squeeze them in, but no worries. I don’t miss cookies and sweets, and since DH was diagnosed Diabetic, it is best for all of us to avoid the temptations.

Betty – so sorry to read about your DD and living so far away. Have you considered Skype or an equivalent? My niece’s ex just gave my Dad a top-of-the-line tablet and programmed skype, so everyone in Arizona can communicate and see each other at the same time. He doesn’t think he’ll use it much, but I know that once he gets to enjoy it, he will be using it often, and become more and more thankful for that option. Hugs for missing your family ! ! !

I am finished with the currently final page, so I’ll post, and try to read the previous page in between getting my work done.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (where it is pouring rain today)
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    I'm still here. Honest I am. Missed the November board completely and now it's almost time for January. We started doing hospice care for my mother in law which lasted 5 weeks. She passed on November 25th and we just had her service on Saturday, so all of that has taken me away from communication. However, not from dieting. I am down 25 pounds - 24 since I started logging again, but I'd already lost a pound before then. Love that the Dr. Phil 20/20 taught me new tricks to boost my metabolism. I was 196 pounds when I started and I am now 170,8. I can't wait to lose the next pound so I can say I went from the 190's to the 160's!!! And better still I have already gone from a size 16 to a 12. The 150's will put me back in my 10's where I hope to stay for the rest of my life. (And I bet my horse does too!)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,585 Member
    Hello folks!

I'm feeling much more positive now. :D Thank you for being there for my vents. <3:flowerforyou:

This morning I rang my old friend in London and we had a good natter. (Is that an American word?) Set the world to rights. :laugh: I will go up to see her in January and have a shopping trip. <3

Then this afternoon we braved the atrocious rain and wind and went out to buy toilet seats, picture hooks, toilet brushes, rubber gloves etc. (How glam does that sound?) The awful glittery toilet seats were in the house when we moved in five years ago. :sad: It's taken us long enough and it's only because DH had a smart new shower put in that he finally noticed it. The guest toilet downstairs was commented on by DH's daughter when we first moved in as "the first thing we should replace" :embarassed: Well DH has just finished doing them. Nice, German, soft close ones. :D
    I can't wait to see my pictures back up in the kitchen!

Then we braved more rain and wind to go to the supermarket. Phew! Got everything we need for our visitors and I picked up the last things I needed for DH's stocking. DH has decided on his menu. Tomato, red pepper and sweet potato soup, Moussaka with a veg, then a cheeseboard WITH my favourite stinky, runny cheese, :D and I bought some chocolate, tiny, nibbly things for those who have to have sweet. I don't think many of us eat dessert, so that should suffice.
    I'm going to do a beef and spinach curry for DS#1 on Sunday.
    So, I'm feeling far more positive. Hooray! Still don't know whether to tell him or not and that kept me awake for two hours in the night.

Lisa - love to your suffering family. How awful!

Becca - ouch! We are always one tiny slip away from an accident! Pip, Kirby, my friend in London etc etc. You are very brave and philosophical. :flowerforyou:

Mikesmom - Great stuff! What a great story!

Penny - sooooooo looking forward to seeing your homeland in the summer! :flowerforyou:

Barbie - that calorie count sounds a challenge! :'(

Jane - hugs. <3

Carol peach - Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! (Can you hear me?) Do NOT put that stuff in your mouth. It is bad for you and clogging up your arteries. Poison! Yuk! :laugh: <3

Can you tell I'm feeling better! :drinker:

Lots of love, Heather UK
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    FINALLY got my Christmas lights up outside. I just drape them over the pickets on my picket fence, but with my cat bite had not done that yet. I leave them on day and night until spring, so make things more cheerful in the long winter days. I know one little girl that will be thrilled. The other doesn't care quite as much.

Finished my meager Christmas shopping. I refuse to be drawn in to the consumerism of it all. I wandered through the toy section, and half the things there, I know would never be used after the first day! What a waste of resources. My girls are getting their Tae Kwon Do uniforms, new underwear (yeah, I am that kind of mom) and one "fun" present from me. The youngest wants a watch so I got her a purple one with Tinkerbell on it. The oldest is starting to fuss about her hair so I got her a curling iron and a round brush. They have a room full of toys and crafts thanks to the generosity of the community when they first came, and do not need any more playthings.

I did order a new bed for the oldest. She has been a complete slob since day one, and FINALLY figured out that she needed to keep her room clean. So I am rewarding her with a new (cheap) canopy bed. The girls never had a bedroom before, just were given a corner to sleep in when the family wasn't actually homeless. So she feels that her bedroom is TOO BIG. I thought the canopy would help her feel enclosed and safe. It won't be delivered until New Year's Eve, so it is a new start gift.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    wessecg wrote: »
    I'm still here. Honest I am. Missed the November board completely and now it's almost time for January. We started doing hospice care for my mother in law which lasted 5 weeks. She passed on November 25th and we just had her service on Saturday, so all of that has taken me away from communication. However, not from dieting. I am down 25 pounds - 24 since I started logging again, but I'd already lost a pound before then. Love that the Dr. Phil 20/20 taught me new tricks to boost my metabolism. I was 196 pounds when I started and I am now 170,8. I can't wait to lose the next pound so I can say I went from the 190's to the 160's!!! And better still I have already gone from a size 16 to a 12. The 150's will put me back in my 10's where I hope to stay for the rest of my life. (And I bet my horse does too!)

I'm down from that weight to that weight and I feel 'great'! Can buckle and tie my own shoes, can see my feet without hanging on to the door frame. Move a lot better and don't stumble as much. I bought my first pair of skinny jeans and went back and got another pair. Got a pair of fleece lined leggings and a pair of yoga pants and I am not embarrassed to wear them out in public. I'm about 1/2 way to my goal (or maybe a little less). Just got the book of the wedding pictures from my DYS and DDnL#2's wedding (taken BEFORE I decided that I had to do something about my weight). I told my MD that I was putting on 1 - 1.5 lbs a month; and, when he said, 'that's 12 - 18 lbs a year; I decided that I did not want to go to the next step. So I bit the bullet and went to the Medical Weight Loss Program he suggested/ordered and after the first week, I got into the groove of things; and, now sometimes I don't even eat the 'caloric intake' that was given to me in order to start losing weight until later in the day. The wedding pictures made me realize just how 'chunky' I had gotten! When DYS came home at Thanksgiving this year, he complimented me on my progress and then went back home and told DDnL#2 how good I looked and that I had bought the skinny jeans. LOL! Hearing that really made me happy.

I don't cook sweets, rarely got them except at my Mimi's house. She'd have pralines, divinity, and something she had something she called 'crazy cake'. Made with fruitcake fruit, coconut, and a can of that 'thick' condense milk and nuts. I used to love it but I don't make it often ... really rich! My Mother could never make divinity; but, she did make good pralines and cheese straws. I love both of them, especially cheese straws. The closest ones I have found (to the way my Mother made them) is at the grocery store; they are Molly Mooks. I'll eat .5 - 1.0 ounce of them at a time and only once a day or so; depending on what I have had earlier in the day.

I really try to stay within the suggested serving size when I eating rather than drinking my meal. Snack at night is 2 cups of coffee and a chocolate protein bar ... that satisfies my desire for chocolate, too.

The end of this week and next week I am going to try to get my husband to finish the glassed-in porch. We need a glass door (probably a 9 or 12 pane window in it) and it needs insulation and finishing wall. He's painted most of the windows inside; and then we will need some shelves so I can put some of our books that are on our only bookshelf out there and put my large collection of flamingos out there as well. We already have some wrought iron furniture with cushions. But, I never uncovered them because of the dust when it was a screened-in porch; we live on a dirt road. I might have to buy some sheers to put up in the windows so it won't get too hot out there during the summer since it faces west. It would have faced east if the county had allowed us to flip our house. Even though we are off the road; they would not allow us to reverse it and not have the front door facing the road. Oh well! We have a front porch that we don't use now. I guess if we ever needed to; we could make it into another bedroom with a lot of work (well, maybe not a lot of work); but, a little more expense than I would be willing to put into it. I'm happy that I will have a place to go and read or watch my shows when DH wants to watch hunting, fishing shows and football games that I am not interested in. That and a few basketball games. I'll be able to have some of my nicer plants out there as well. Opening the French Doors to our MBR will heat and cool it sufficiently.

Welcome to all the newbies as well as the veterans on this site. Y'all are an inspiration to me. ;)
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited December 2015
    Grits - IMHO one of the secrets of a happy marriage is two televisions. :D We have four. :laugh:

Heather x
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Hi everyone --
    Betty I love the blueness of your tree. Beautiful.I always wanted one like that. Mine is a lovely hodge-podge.

The dreaded cookie swap was very nice yesterday. I had some cookies but didn't do major damage.

Here's the beet and goat cheese pizza recipie. It was great and quite festive looking. The only part that needed to be lightened up is the crust. But if it's too thin, the pieces will be floppy.
    http://honestcooking.com/beet-pesto-pizza-kale-goat-cheese/

Started a nasty cold last night so am taking it easy today. No exercise for me today. I'm just sitting by the fire with my computer and semi-working.

Kimses in MA
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Lisa - So sorry to read about your nephew's death. It is so hard for children to lose a parent no matter what time of year, but around a holiday can be especially difficult.
  • cityjaneLondon
    <3
    27681614.png

Heather
  • miakoda40
    I ordered some silly t-shirts for DH and one for a friend. About 2 weeks after I ordered them I got an email from the t-shirt company telling me that the delivery company lost their truck so the t-shirt company was re-issuing my order. Well, wouldn't you know it. On Wednesday I got 2 packages from the t-shirt company. Apparently the lost was found and I now have double the number of t-shirts I had ordered. The t-shirt company does not want me to return one of the packages.

DH and I now wear the same size t-shirt (large) so I warned him that we will now have matching t-shirts.

The really funny/wonderful thing is that the fourth t-shirt I ordered for our friend is a Medium. I tried on the spare for giggles and while it is too tight for me to be comfortable wearing outside the house, I can see that some day soon it will fit me!

Mia in MI
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited December 2015
    70411392.png
    Experimenting...

Yeah Lenora, to get your ticker onto the website, go to MY HOME then Profile. Your ticker will be there under My Progress, and under that is a link Add to your site. Click on that, the copy the entire link in the left-hand window, labelled "BBcode". Be sure you get the whole thing!

Good luck!
  • miakoda40
    Would someone kindly remind me of the site that has the Spinach Feta Pie recipe? I just got invited to a potluck where I think this would go over well.

Mia in MI
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited December 2015
    Mia: skinnytaste.com/2012/03/easy-crust-less-spinach-and-feta-pie.html

While you're there, bookmark the entire site, because Gina has loads of great recipes!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,037 Member
    . today is going to be the first day of physical therapy. last appointment was just the assessment. excited for both of us.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Heather - here is a picture of what we did with cookies at our Christmas party!

xqpoyfm3tr7v.jpeg

That big bowl is full of cookies! We were frosting and decorating them and having a great time!

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • miakoda40
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    My doctor is the one that told me to come back and get a shingles vaccination when these were all cleared up, so that's what I was going on. Yes I'm aware of being contagious. All of the family have either had chicken pox already or else the younger ones are all vaccinated now along with all their other vaccinations. I called them and informed them all that I have shingles so as to let them make their own decision, that way its on them lol No one seemed to think it was a problem. Thanks for the advice. :)

Janetr OKC

Going with what your doctor recommends is quite sensible. I often think that doctor's call their offices a "practice" because there are so few things all doctors agree upon and so they keep practicing until they get it right.

Mia in MI

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Mia - that made me laugh, I totally agree. They all have an opinion and who knows what's right. And, of course, every body is different and our bodies act/react differently. I use my common sense most of the time and 66 years of knowledge of my own body. :)

Janetr OKC