Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    My cheek is better today, and I think I actually slept on it, so its just a dull ache now. Weighed myself this morning and I am down a pound. TOM does have SOME benefits....

Since taking my break with TOPS for 2 months I have gained 3 lbs, which isn't any worries. I have ran across many of my TOPS friends here and there, and they say come back, and they miss me. So I will start attending in January. Knowing the warning signs of negativity and "putting all my emotional eggs into one basket" I will not have blinders on as I go. Balancing emotionally "what I put in" to the group, verses what I get out of it, is an important thing. I do miss the friends. It is hard when friends confide in you, the miss doings of others in the group. Maybe saying, "While I understand your frustration with (this or that) I am still friends with so-and-so, so this information is hard for me to take in." Or, "I would rather you didn't talk negative about so-and-so, it makes me feel uncomfortable".

Becca

• Annr
    MFP Advent Calendar

Dec 20th~ And it is said, the cattle knelt, the sheep and the donkeys too. For God was in the tiny babe, the animals knew its true.

Can you believe only days before Christmas? Crazy huh.
    Becca
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    mev4h1os2to3.jpeg
    b0bfbblq79qk.jpeg

Just dropping in to say Hi to everyone. Hope everyone is ok.
  • Annr
    edited December 2015
    Janetr~ Those cookie presses are frustrating. I have fond memories of my dear mother making Christmas treats. Nothing like learning curse words because your mom was yelling DAYMN, DAYMN, with every click of that horrendous cookie press gadget from Hell.... Divinity and fudge making involved my mothers stress levels to go as critical as the candy thermometer. It was years before I learned soft ball and hard ball wasn't an emotional state but a temperature! HAHAHA....
    My father wasn't immune to fits of anger. When my parents divorced, (I was in High School), he wanted to take the Norwegian treat, Rosettes, to work for the break room. Batch after batch would taste AWFUL.... It was after many hellish batches that he realized that he wasn't sprinkling them with sugar afterwards, but with salt....
    Becca
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    edited December 2015
    Poerava14 wrote: »

To the many of you dealing with stress, illness, owies and family deaths, feel my hug and prayers. :'( I don't have any packages to wrap and ship. I don't have any people to cook for. I don't have any events to attend. So, I have a lot of love to spread around here to all of you who have been a source of support, advice, humor and inspiration for the entire year. <3

All I want for Christmas is a life as peaceful, happy and fun as our pets'. Here's to a great rest of the season.

Stay well. We can do this.
    Rori
    Colorado Foothills

:)Rori, you look fabulous in your picture...how wonderful that you got to be in NYC at this time of the year. I want to echo your sentiments that you posted about Christmas and sharing love with others on this thread.

I am on day two of the "week of no exercise" recommended by my doctor. After years of fine tuning the habit of seeking every opportunity to be active, I am trying to do the opposite of that. My darling husband who has back pain issues of his own has been doing the dog walking and leaving me in the house wishing I could be outside. The dogs are adjusting to shorter walks. I have plenty to do---knitting, computer projects, reading, and some organizing of files, but it feels so different. Also my active lifestyle easily allowed for 1800-2000 calories a day and the sedentary one is closer to 1400.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtont116008.gif

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

“The secret of contentment is knowing how to enjoy what you have, and to be able to lose all desire for things beyond your reach."
    -- Yutang Lin

146200.png

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,037 Member
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 444 Member
    So many posts and so little time. Christmas blues just hit me big time. Have to snap out of it. This is a pic of our tree. Note the pieced tree skirt I mentioned several weeks ago.
    Betty
    cry312602obb.jpeg
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Heather, that is a tough decision about telling son who might be coming for Christmas.

Allison, I hope you will be able to slow down and relax the next two weeks. If there are more friends to see, maybe you could plan a pot luck and not go out. It is just so hard and less fun to go out to restaurants when you have to be careful to eat healthy.

Lillian, sending (((Hugs))) and good thoughts while you clean out your Mom’s house. Know our thoughts are with you even though we can’t be there to help in person.

Kimses, cute sign on the shutting up with cookies. smiley-eatdrink030.gif Thanks for the smile.

Barbie said, “Janet, your positive attitude is inspiring. You are looking forward to family and fun and memories and not moaning about the challenge of dealing with shingles. You are the kind of person I want in my life.” I was thinking the same thing when I read what you said. Fantastic attitude. You go, girl. Shingles or not! Barbie, I can just see you sitting there, trying to find excuses to justify getting up and moving. I hope it’s not too hard to take it easy for a week. (((Hugs)))

Carol GA, gift wrapping? I rather enjoy it but do so little any more. Not since they invented Gift Bags. Those things are the bomb!! And they work great for weird shaped items. That is the one thing I buy after Christmas each year when they are 70% off. Good luck.

Karen, so sorry you got the infection! I agree on that lemonade. Most of those things on the to do list will be fine if they have to wait. Take care of yourself and get well soon. (((Hugs)))

KMB, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. My first suggestion is to forget about diets because most of us have proved they don’t work. This is a lifestyle change for most of us and we have found it works. Eat healthy and exercise when you can. There are times that we find we can’t do one or the other but in the long run, it still works. I will track my intake for the rest of my life even after I reach my goal. Otherwise I know I’d gain it back. Come often and join right in. You can do this.

Katla, glad you are still getting better. How nice to have the hummers to keep you company. I could watch them for hours.

Selena, welcome back. How dare you leave us for so long!!! Sorry for your losses and problems, but you know we are here for you.

Heather, how nice that you became aware of the love of your language and community. There are so many opportunities for all of us to be grateful if we just recognize them. Thanks for the reminder. You know what Dorothy said……”There’s no place like home”.

Pip, I love the picture of the “Kids”. Looks like a Christmas card photo.

Sylvia, the question is, if you had noticed the heater sign before you went in the pool, would you have still given it a try? LOL If you have to haul everything to your DS’s for Christmas eve, I trust you are going to keep it simple. It sounds like a busy few days until then so don’t overdo. (((Hugs)))

MicheleNC, I’m like you about the Spinach/Feta Pie. I don’t mind taking it someplace in case there are leftovers for me to bring home. If I take sweets, I don’t want them back in my house. My friend that I’ve been keeping company has an aunt that makes wonderful fruit cake cookies that she gives to friends each year. She does pay her aunt to bake them for her. Anyway, they are rather small for a cookie, which I really like so I don’t feel too bad about eating one or two. smiley-eatdrink020.gif

Katla, too bad about your dog and the candy. I know ours would love the chicken and rice diet.

Janetr, I’ve made the sausage balls with just cheddar cheese but never heard of cream cheese in it. I’ll bet that is yummy.

Joyce, I never heard of a child that young getting Shingles. I’m glad it was a mild case!

Jane, I hope you don’t grieve too much but can remember all the great times. It is so sad when we lose a loved one but try not to let it get you down this year. (((Hugs)))

Kim, you shared some great ways to earn a little extra money and every dollar counts these days. Good for you and thanks for sharing.

Allison, I don’t understand why you have to ask Tom for money when you work and bring in the money? That is just sad. Do you mean he won’t get you anything for Christmas??

Lisa, how terribly sad about your sister’s stepson. I’ll keep all in my prayers. I hope you and DH have a wonderful week ahead.

I’ve tried so hard to catch up but just not happening. I’ll post this and try again later. Time to go help DH with dinner then settle in for a Christmas movie. I love Hallmark and Lifetime. And I love all you lovely ladies.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Just popping in I'm at work on break....Pip did I miss the outcome of Winkles surgery? I'm all about the dogs!
    Mindy
  • Annr
    100_3416_zpsa737bweq.jpg

I am literally a fighter this Christmas.... Maybe if I tape my fingers and throw some punches in the air, society will just make a way for me in the grocery store...
    Becca
    aka Becca the Breakinator....
  • Annr
    Gorgeous tree Betty!!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Becca - what happened to you?

Talking about gift wrapping; in art school, I had a 'gay' couple as friends, much older than I - friends of my boss at the deli I worked in. One would wrap present beginning on Thanksgiving Day and that was also the day they put up their tree and decorations out. They would always have a big Christmas Party. One always wrapped the presents and to add to the festivities ... he'd wrap other boxes, bricks, balls of different sizes; and put them under the tree as well. He'd measure the boxes (or whatever); pick out a patterned paper and make the pattern match wherever he wanted them to. every time! He'd make hospital corners. Something I can do on a bed; but, haven't figured out how to do it on a package; but, would like to. LOL! Never the same wrapping on any of the boxes; and he'd make the prettiest bows and other decorations to go on them. Maybe if I started practicing I could master the way he wrapped things. He'd do thinks like take one of those globes that is laid out flat, cut it out and wrap a ball with it (if he could find the right size ball). Buying gifts for people was a trip! Always something very special and usually quite expensive. You almost did not want to unwrap the pretty package; but, getting inside was difficult to do without destroying the wrapping. They'd have wrapping paper all over the living room dining room and I am sure that when they cleaned up; he'd take the wrapping papers and cut them down to a different size for use the next year. Artful and resourceful at the same time. I can remember watching him iron the papers and put them up for the next use.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    :D
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)
  • Annr
    Ah Grits...here is the story, (and Im sticking to it)...
    I had my hands full of 2 walmart blue bags, and two other cloth bags in my other hand going up our apartment steps. My clog type shoes stuck on the cobblestone and cement steps, so I stepped out of my shoe, miss stepped, and hand no hands to make it up to stop my fall. I just kind of plowed into the step with my face. At least I didn't hit my eye, or anything. My knee's are sore, my neck is sore, but my face is just achy. It could've been ALOT worse.

Becca
    (the clumsy elf)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Becca - sorry (((hugs))). What did the other guy look like??? :)

Janetr OKC
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 444 Member
    Ouch, Becca! Get better soon!
    Betty
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,977 Member
    Tom and I took a bike ride earlier~ ended up down near where our renter is staying~ well we met her (friend) Bert and were invited in for a cocktail, now I dont drink or very rarely.. so Tom had a beer and I had a glass of white wine.. then to ride home on bikes before it got dark.... to say interesting is an understatement..
    took a shower and have my jammies on..
  • Annr
    edited December 2015
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Becca - sorry (((hugs))). What did the other guy look like??? :)

Janetr OKC

ah Janetr I shall be better in no time. I am slathering it with coconut oil. Oh THAT dude...he had no chance whatsoEVER...I sang a high C and he fled haha.
    Becca
    your friend with a voice to scare ELK.
  • Annr
    edited December 2015
    ah thanks Betty. I am kind of "milking the condition" ie: having husband make me cocoa, fluff my pillow...and NO that isn't a metaphor!!!
    Becca
    the whiner.