Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,977 Member
    hidee ho again~ went for a walk with Tom and i have gotten 10,000 steps in already that is the first time in a looooong time lol, a slight breeze but should be up to about 75 late this afternoon so we will go to the pool...
    not a cloud in the sky..
    Tom is off to Lowes, he is planning on redoing the small 4'x4' patio out back, although there is a giant fire ant nest out there and am worried about him getting bit.. but he started snarking at me to leave him alone , so I will..
    I hope everyone is enjoying there family visiting and Holiday celebrations.. we dont do much like Lisa.. we will go to the Christmas Pot Luck on friday,I will make deviled eggs.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Lisa - that is so sad! PTSD might be a good defense in being able to collect on the insurance. It may be worth having a lawyer look into it especially since he is leaving behind 2 young children. Sometimes they will settle for a percentage of the insurance. My friend had an attorney when her husband committed suicide and she actually got full benefits from the insurance because of mental illness.

<3

Mary from Minnesota

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,584 Member
    edited December 2015
    Hi everyone!

I've been having a nightmare with the Christmas mail. Still waiting to hear if DDIL has collected her very expensive earrings from the depot. It's been a while!
    Then for my step daughter I posted a parcel myself to her work, which she never received, so I ordered a new one and got the company to deliver. It didn't arrive! ! ! Something is up, either at the company or at the local sorting office. I have, with great difficulty, told the post office of the problems. So, the company has very kindly said they would post another one to my home address, as I can give it to her after Christmas and it is safe being delivered here. What a #÷%*× nuisance.

The good news is that we have finally got our stuff back in the kitchen. I've decluttered a bit so it looks a bit sleeker. DH still has to rehang the pictures as the hooks have gone missing. :ohwell:

The proposed visit next week is still causing problems. I am concerned about my son's social anxiety, especially with DH 'S niece and I am definitely not feeling the Christmas spirit. I have no dec's up and haven't even put up the cards. I have offered to pay for us all to go to our very nice local gastro pub and be the designated driver. DH doesn't seem keen on that idea, so I said he could do the cooking. He said he would. :noway: We shall see. He can cook perfectly well, but as we all know, entertaining isn't just one dish and you're done. I just hope DSIL doesn't bring her partner as we are running out of beds!
    I will get the cleaner to help me make beds on Thursday when I know who is coming.
    Basically, I would have preferred people to come at separate times , not all at once and not when I wanted to enjoy time with my son whom I rarely see. :ohwell: He may well leave early.
    DH is trying to get in touch with his sister to check out what is happening.

Sorry to be a grinch, but I really thought I'd mostly avoided Christmas this year and was just showing up for the grandchildren.
    Best laid plans ............ I am determined to stick to my guns about the cooking. >:)

Love Heather UK
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Mary, that surprises me. I cannot even get life insurance due to my mental illness diagnosis. Or disability insurance either. All my life, even when I was young.

Lisa, so sorry for your family. PTSD is taking a huge toll on our veterans, and most people are unaware until something like this happens in their family. Please let your sister know that there are support groups for "survivors of suicide" that may be helpful for her. It is really hard to talk about a family member's suicide. Most people have no clue what to say when they hear about it, and often act like it is embarrassing or shameful, which it is NOT. So these support groups are really helpful because everyone there KNOWS what it feels like, and are willing to listen. Those poor children. How is the mother handling it? And your sister and her husband?
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited December 2015
    Lisa - So sorry for you loss especially at this time of the year. While I don't know how it feels to lose a family member like that; I did lose one of my BFs from HS. She committed suicide 3 days before her brother's wedding; and was suppose to go see another HS friend of ours that Monday. She shot herself, too. Unusual way for a woman to go, usually they use pills. Her sister, who lives in the same neighborhood heard the shot; but, did not know it was her sister. She had driven back into the woods behind her house. She suffered badly from depression. There were several things she had dealt with that would have caused it, all in one year a couple of years ago; but, had seemed to have been coping with it very well. We missed her at lunch that following Monday as well. When they found her they first thought it was 'foul play' because of the shooting. At the memorial service for her the preacher had all sorts of praise for her and the things she did in life; and, said that some questions would never be answered.

We had a nephew that died from cancer on what would have been his parents' 49th anniversary, if they had stayed together. It literally made my DBnL physically sick and he spent a week in the hospital this past Fall, thinking that he had had a heart attack. DFSnL would not make it to the visitation after the service; she was so torn up and could not deal with it.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    :'(
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Hi everyone, the weather has finally turned cold today so feeling more like christmas...though it will be 65 ° wednesday!!
    Feeling better so i walked down to grocery shop before it gets too hectic and picked up a standing rib roast, never in my life have i cooked such a beast but thought it might be festive.

I am letting go of expectations for the holiday and just want to enjoy what i enjoy, share good conversations with the few folks we are visiting and most of all, get some rest from work. Work includes doing things if think i should
    be doing.

It's official my dd was accepted to the college of her choice and she is overjoyed. We are bracing ourselves to pay for it, and for letting our one and only leave the nest which is the whole of raising them yes??

Counting my blessings and grateful for healing. Karen from ny
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Janetr: I hope your family appreciates all your hard work cooking. NO WASHING DISHES! That is on them. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: When my mom needed assisted living we moved her into a place close to our home, and furnished it with some of her own cherished things. We left her house otherwise untouched until she passed. She always hoped to return there. :flowerforyou:

Jane: I'm happy to see you have stopped by. Merry Christmas. :flowerforyou:

Kim: I am so glad you stopped by. Your comments were full of good ideas, too. I hope we see you often as the days go by. :flowerforyou:

Alison: Open an account in your name and have your checks deposited there. Then transfer what you wish to the joint account. (((Hugs)))

Lillian: I agree with Margaret about nice things at the assisted living place. Keep them hidden. My mom had her wallet and id stolen by one of the maids. It was a total pain in the neck to get replaced. The facility recommended that money be kept in their vault, and that is where she kept it so the thief didn't get much cash. :grumble: We did furnish her little apartment with some of her favorite things and pictures. They were a comfort to her. :heart:

Lisa: So sad for your sister's stepson and the family. :cry: Enjoy your time with DH this holiday season. :flowerforyou:

Heather: We're having a solitary Christmas this year and I had something of a pity party about it, but since we've come down with the flu and it is sticking around for over two weeks, I guess isolation is best. I wouldn't want anyone I love to catch this awful flu. :noway: I've been envying your plans for a celebration at home, but I couldn't handle it just now, and neither could DH. :ohwell:

I had a nice chat with DD yesterday evening. She's had her last day of work in CO andis getting ready for the drive to IL. I hope the weather is stable for her journey and am praying for a safe trip for her.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Along with the warnings about valuables in nursing homes and assisted care facilities, I would like to mention that home care can also have thefts. My developmentally delayed cousin's apartment was stripped of anything "pretty" - many antique and quite valuable, his vacuum, and cash. All by one in home care worker. She also noticed his papers from the bank about his special needs trust balance, and got her church (LDS) to convince him to join and they SHOWED UP AT HIS APARTMENT with papers already prepared for him to will the trust money to the church. He had no desire to join the church- he did not want to give up his coffee and dirty movies (his only outlet). We had to get a lawyer to go to the church office with a cease and desist order before they would leave him alone. They wanted his money (which he actually had no ability to give to them, thankfully). So be careful in these situations as well. Staff in care settings are grossly underpaid, and often poorly trained/ educated, and a few will take advantage.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,037 Member
    . morning oeeps
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Greetings Friends,
    Have spent the past two days reading over 300 posts. :o My trip to NYC and Midland went well except for difficulty sleeping. The office holiday party had a DJ, and I had a good time dancing to anything with a fast latin beat. Afterwards, a colleague and I walked the 7 blocks up 5th Avenue to the Rockefeller Plaza and Saks, where I videotaped the amazing light show that plays on the front facade of the building. :):):) Absolutely spectacular.

Becca: I need you to teach me how you post your videos. BTW: I like the bow you added to my photo on your tree.

DJ: Next year, I invite you to tag along with me to see this in person:
    pepc3jby9eif.jpg

DH had appointment with plastic surgeon on Friday, and she called off the surgery scheduled for Dec. 23rd. His wound bed hasn't healed enough to take a skin graft. She prescribed burn cream to be applied every day, and we'll see how it looks in 3 weeks. She seems to feel that it's small enough to close on it's own, which is the slow but less intrusive way to heal. So meanwhile, I'm back on bandage duty because it's still a bit 'wet'. :s

To the many of you dealing with stress, illness, owies and family deaths, feel my hug and prayers. :'( I don't have any packages to wrap and ship. I don't have any people to cook for. I don't have any events to attend. So, I have alot of love to spread around here to all of you who have been a source of support, advice, humor and inspiration for the entire year. <3

All I want for Christmas is a life as peaceful, happy and fun as our pets'. Here's to a great rest of the season.

Stay well. We can do this.
    Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    klanders30 wrote: »
    It's official my dd was accepted to the college of her choice and she is overjoyed. We are bracing ourselves to pay for it, and for letting our one and only leave the nest which is the whole of raising them yes??

Well, the old saying goes: "A son's a son until he takes a wife; a daughter's a daughter all of her life." I don't know about daughters, never had one; but, I have found that sons usually don't ask your opinion once they have another woman to tell them what to do. LOL! My DOS and DDnL#1 and the granddaughters live next door; the DYS lives out in Louisiana with our 'new' DDnL#2 and DStep-GD. They are doing all the things they need to do in order to learn how to be 'new' spouses and how to deal with a 10-year-old who is so 'excited' about having a 'new' step-Dad. She loves him so, wrote me before they got married and told me how much she liked him; and, wanted him to be her boyfriend but her Mama beat her to him. He loves her and treats her as if she is his own. Ex lives in same town and quite jealous of the fact that DYS is now a part of their lives. The step-mother has made a few unnecessary comments that makes them 'think' he is going to try something associated with his daughter. They now have joint custody; and, if he is stupid enough to run the risk of getting the same judge they had 7 years ago when they were getting a divorce and he pulled the same trick; I am thinking that the joint custody will go away and the child support will be increased. DSGD has already said something about not liking spending so much time with him and step-mom. They have another child together; and, anytime he cries or tattles on her she is the one getting punished.

DOS and DH went out to go hunting and DH says that DSGD is in 'constant motion and talks all the time'. I told him that it was only because she was so excited to see them and hoping she'll get to hunt, too. Until the last 2 days they stayed at the plantation where he used to live and work; and, said it was nice. Then they came back to DYS's house to stay. Actually, the one they call their 'lake home'. I wonder if DDnL#2 put up a tree at his house this year. Last year, she and daughter put up a small one out there. DYS has never had one; and, she said he was so excited about it that he went over and hugged it. I had sent home some crocheted snowflakes my Mimi had made; and next year I will give DDnL#1 the other half. This year I strung lights into the macramé tree that my Mother had made and it looks so good that I doubt I will ever try to move a lot of furniture to put in a 'real' tree or even my "Charlie Brown" artificial tree. I will probably divide most of my Christmas decorations between the two DDsnL for next year as well. I need to go through all of them and pack them into 2 separate boxes. I've already put it in writing that none of the Christmas ornaments given to them will be a part of any divorce action's settlement agreement. They will stay with sons so they can pass them on down to the next generations.

DH gave sons a written synopsis of how our Wills are meant to be interpreted so there won't be any misunderstanding about it. One son doesn't want to do certain things and we told them that the way our Wills are written prevents some of the things he was worried about. Hopefully, when both of us are gone, there won't be any reason for either to be unhappy. If they have any questions they can call me. I thought it was pretty straight forward.

Looking forward to the New Year. While our 2015 year has been pretty good; it is always good to start off with a new outlook on things.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    o:) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Just finished my P903x workout for today and am icing my knees. I really hope this program works and I get less sore as time goes on. I had a hard time sleeping because of sore knees. Thank goodness for Advil.
    Be back later.
    Janetr -- I'll post the beet and goat cheese tart after I try it. It looks good though!

Kimses in MA

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited December 2015
    Margaret/Grits - the oven temp for the sausage balls is 400° THANKS, SYLVIA. :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,977 Member
    Janetr~ to funny!!!
    Well almost 3 hrs at the pool, slight breeze but lovely just the same...
    as I was getting out ,I felt something feeling like my leg was on fire, and a dam* fire ant bit me, swelled right up and hurt like the dickens.. Oh well..
    I am over 12,000 steps so far... just got back from Walmart , bought some stuff to make fudge, and a few quick breads.. for our neighbors for Christmas...
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited December 2015
    Rori~ *Smiles* you needed a bow!
    -I have a Kodak digital camera so I have a little square thingy I insert into the tower of our computer. I then DOWNLOAD it on to my pictures.

-Then I go to Photo Bucket...a free site you can post pictures to put in threads like this one.

- I UPLOAD it where it says to.

-On Photo Bucket when you click their UPLOAD button, it opens up a smaller square where it shows your computer stuff, so just go to your pictures and double click.

- When it is done, and you see the picture loaded then click on it. It will show big on the screen.

- Look to the right of the picture. It has options on how to post a picture. The lower option is what I click on...it will say Copied (in yellow), when you click on it.

-I usually have two tabs on my computer open. One tab says Women Ages 50+, and the other one says PhotoBucket.

-I type my message on here, then right click and choose PASTE. I bunch of symbols words and nonsense comes on the MFP message but that is it.
    I hope that helps :-)
    Becca
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited December 2015
    Sylvia wrote - "Janetr: I hope your family appreciates all your hard work cooking. NO WASHING DISHES! That is on them. "

Lol, I will be sure to tell them I have strict orders. :) Also, because the oldest daughter is flying from Denver and the youngest driving with a van full of five and their luggage, they have had many gifts shipped to my home. I have now wrapped a 32" TV, Kuerig coffee pot and numerous small items. That doesn't include any of the presents from us.. But the thing I dislike the most is making spritz cookies with the cookie press. I told oldest daughter, I'm sending the cookie press home with her and she can bake her own. Lol. I'm so excited to have them all here, they'll be here Wednesday.

Janetr OKC