Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Welcome KMB. My advice right now is to just eat what you think you should be and if you fail one day it's OK because it is still part of the 'test week'. Then look at your daily menus and see what made your calories, fat, protein, etc go way out of bounds. When you actually see in black and white and in the mirror it helps you to see what is going wrong and gives you that kick in the butt you need to make changes. Oh, DJ is real good in kicking us in the butt also.

I didn't realize that my symptoms do sound kind of like migraines. I have never taken anything but the 3 main drugs, Advil, Aleve and Tylenol. And of course a dark, quiet room. I have never been nauseated or anything. But they do either start at the base of the skull something terrible or in an eye.

My youngest, Michelle, had shingles when she was in about the 2nd or 3rd grade. I guess being a child, and being very active, the pain wasn't very bad. Also my husband had one spot right between his eyes. Now this is a man who has never taken a Tylenol for anything, his heart attack even didn't have any pain. So when he had to take tylenol I knew something was wrong. He did take Tylenol with his meningitis so I know he does have the ability to have pain.

We had to clean out Mom's apartment when she died. She went straight to the hospital with a painful hip, had surgery, went to rehab then hospice and died there so she never went back home. But when she died, all of my family, brothers and sister and grand kids everywhere were all here for about a week so we all worked at it. My Mom was so happy to join her loving husband of 64 years in Heaven and we were to. So even though we grieved, our family loves to have fun and laugh and there were so many happy memories that we shared in while we were cleaning that it wasn't to bad. Mom already had her will so everyone pretty much knew what was theirs. Some people didn't want what she had set for them but others did and they did equal trades. She lived in a wonderful independent/assisted living apartment complex where the staff was wonderful and we just left a whole lot of stuff in a corner and they knew it was theirs to distribute as needed. It was Mom's dream that they would keep an empty apartment and if some one had something they didn't want or when some one died and family didn't want something, all would go in this empty apartment to be given as needed. She had one lady move in across from her that her family from way across the country did a google search for assisted living and had her moved there directly from the hospital and all she had was a twin bed, sheet and blanket. This was for her 1 bedroom apartment. Mom felt so sorry for her. She was so lonely and then felt abandoned so that was when Mom came up with that idea. So we provided then with a lot of stuff. But we had a lot of fun and it helped that it was about 15 of us doing it.

Oh, there was so much more I had in my mind and it just left when Michelle texted me something funny. She looked our house up on Google street view and there is Charlie walking out to the car.

Joyce, Indiana. Cantata is tomorrow, can't wait!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    sorry I have been mia.having a hard time missing my friend who died last jan.This was her favorite time of year.we baked cookies,went shopping.Sending hugs to all that need them.
    hugs jane
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited December 2015
    Joyce - Wish I could "beam me up" right up to Indiana and hear your Cantata tomorrow. I haven't been attending church since we moved. I hate to go alone to a new church and have just put it off but I miss it so much and especially when special music will be presented. I don't want one too large where I feel lost, I don't want one too small where there are not special programs and good music, I don't want one that is all loud band music during service yet not one where the singing is slow and lifeless. Sigh, maybe I'm just too picky. Wish I had a good friend to go with me. :( I'd better get busy and just visit a few close by. Its not like there is not a church on every other corner in OK. :)

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Jane (((big hugs))) I'm so sorry, I know its hard to be missing someone you were close to.

Janetr
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,968 Member
    Popping in to say hi. Skimmed over 100 posts, now must get some sleep.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,691 Member
    Hi gals,

So I have been logging again, and really feel like I can find time to log or time to read and respond to all; so am choosing the logging and will read but respond in a more general fashion… I want to “hold up my side of the conversation” but the pages and pages are daunting coupled with my schedule.

So I am making a dent on the house hold; issues tree up check; cookies made check; Christmas letter written check; cards started check; cards finished NOPE; gift buying started check; gift buying finished NOPE; wrapping – tonight (and it is already 9:30); house cleaned – ½ way; grocery shopping for all non-perishables done; and some perishables – only need a couple of items on Tuesday.

Wanted to comment on taking on of the responsibility of grand-babies – as Miriam can attest it can be done, but I commend Miriam for reaching out and accepting help – it sounds trite but it takes a village – especially for the older mom and dad --- there are folks who would love to help if asked and if it is accepted --- My mom (87 years old) is raising her grandson who is almost 18 now.. and she never asks for help and if it is offered turns it down, so now it rarely gets offered – accepting gracefully even if you need to re-direct the help to something you need more (ie if a meal is offered and what you need is a pick up at school – ask if they could do that instead) Then while the buck stops with you there will be folks who can and will help out.

Also on the financial difficulties – there are a ton of things I have learned to do to stretch my cash flow – I’ll make a list and share if anyone is interested – I look at it as a game to see how much I can get for how little. But the other thing I have done that helps is I babysit – not day care; but for a couple of young families on my street I babysit in the evening, usually the kids are up for a couple of hours and we read books or play games, and then they are put to bed and I can read, watch tv, nap, bring my laptop and do my business paper work… and here at least babysitting pays between $10-15 an hour… sometimes they even provide dinner. Parents really appreciate a sitter they don’t have to take home and a real adult – not a teen.. I have made almost $100 this month, I got paid for writing Christmas cards, how cool is that! When it started I did approach them and told them I babysat, and just to let me know if they were interested.

I did great at the craft faire and have sold some more stuff via a small set up in my guest bed room. It was a ton of work, so for next year I am starting NOW! Christmas season is a very busy time, but that helps as it is a pricy time too.

Thinking of you all,
    Love Kim in N. Cal

• janetr7476
    Kim - Wow, you go girl, sounds like you are marching forward with planning and determination. I am impressed and proud of you. Don't feel like we expect responses to everyone, blah blah blah. We love to know that you are ok and all is well with you. A quick note when you have time is terrific. Merry Christmas to you!!

Janetr
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Becca - I'm sorry to hear that you fell and cut your cheek. I hope you feel better. I saw my face amongst the others! Thanks for making Christmas so special!

Pip - so cute!

<3

Mary from Minnesota

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,977 Member
    morning ladies~
    I am trying to type with a dog curled up on me, it is sorta hard..
    51 degrees here this morning,wont get to hot, but going back up into the 80's tomorrow.
    found out I got a 200.00 bonus that went into the joint account, which I will never see.. thats depressing..
    and we are here another week and a half and I have 20.00 spending money.. I hate to ask for more
    I bought myself christmas present's as I wont get any .. I bought some adult coloring books and colored pencils and markers.. I used to color as a child, and maybe I can relax doing that...
    I am going to try and talk to Tom about our future,,, sometimes men just go along thinking everything is hunky dory... but I get no hugs.no kisses. no I love you's ever anymore.. he dotes on the dogs..
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,525 Member
    Sylvia, love the photo! Definitely true.

Lillian, condolences. I have had to clean out three relatives houses after their deaths and it is not a fun job at all. Try to focus on the good memories, and take plenty of hankies!

Thanks you everyone... but I best clarify, my mom did not pass away. Remember she fell a month ago and broke her shoulder and her hip. She is 80 (81 in January) and she is currently in acute care and when she gets better she will then move to the nursing home (Long term care home)

BUT.... cleaning out houses when they are still alive is still a stressful chore. What is even worse is "who looks after mom's treasures that she cannot take with her to her room in the nursing home?" My DSIL is helping me and her opinions sometimes as to what is one of "mom's treasures" is a little different than mine..... sigh...

Before my dad passed away 3 years ago we tried to get some of the "stuff" out of the house. And this is a bad time to do that too because my dad's days were numbered so it was not a fun time, but at least he gave a lot of his "treasures" to the kids that he thought would treasure them.

Enough.... moving on... DGD is coming to visit while her parents go ice fishing so I best get a move on and finish some Christmas cards

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Lilymay2
    SelenaP63 wrote: »
    Hello Menopals!!
    I'm back because I pretty much am back...to square one. Several bizarro-world months with a couple of *deaths and still lingering in Canada have left me with relatively few options that don't include an elastic waist! And why wouldn't Christmas be the perfect time to heave my fluffy self back on to the wagon?
    I think I'm hooped if I don't have y'all to check in with and so here I am.
    Missed you and glad to be here,
    Selena
    In Alberta, Canada
    *(Son-in-law, some of you will remember and then my step-father, leaving my mom with piles of debt and a junior hoarder's disaster to climb out of and requiring all my strength and patience in cleaning.)

Can you and I just hide somewhere for a week and veg?
  • Lilymay2
    Pip - your tree and your puppy loves are very pretty and handsome!!

Lillian
  • Lilymay2
    We divided up my Mother's stuff before we had to put her in an Assisted Living Facility. She got to see all that we got because we wanted it. Oldest sister divided up china and thins like that in sets of 4. She had lot of china and crystal.

I like that idea, we did try to do some of that before my mom fell but she wanted her stuff around her even if she couldn't see it. Some of it was even in boxes already up in the top of closets. Dad gave me his 8mm movie camera and pictures before he passed away because he knew I would cherish them and take care of them.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited December 2015
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Grits wrote "Janetr - I've never heard of 'cream cheese sausage balls' ... how do you fix them?"

They are the bomb. 1 lb sausage uncooked (sausage of your preference); 8 oz cream cheese softened; 1 1/4 cups Bisquick; 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese. Mix together well. Roll into 1" balls. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until brown. If you freeze them you need to bake them a few minutes longer. Easy peezy.

Janetr OKC

What temperature to you bake them?

Lillian I found keeping things simple at the Nursing Home works best. It is best not to bring anything of value to the home. A few small knicknacks and photos to cover the walls works well. No expensive jewelry or money. I made another Shutterfly calendar for my mom for Christmas. They are always runninng special and Kohl's and other merchants also give you a discount to Shutterfly.

:heart: Margaret
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Lillian ~ Hoping you are able to get your mom's house cleaned out quickly. My mom is in a nursing home also. I think that is why my sis and I are not able to really make ourselves take things out of the house. Mainly, because my mom loved all of her "things" so much. The furniture is too nice just to give away to any of the thrifts. There were 5 children in the family and we all have what we need. I would love to have one of the bedroom sets but that means I would have to get rid of one of my sets. I may give mine to my son if he has room for it. Mom did not like antiques so there are no treasures. She bought everything "new".

Had dinner with DH's small family (brother, BnL, and SnL) last night at LaParillo. Enjoyed my margarita and my dinner. Wish we lived closer but it's an hours drive to meet halfway somewhere.

Sis just messaged me that the nursing home called at 6 AM to say mom had fallen trying to go to the restroom. This is the 2nd time in a couple of weeks. I have no idea how they will end up handling that. She is cognizant enough to not want to be in the position of not being able to tend to her needs.

Carol
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited December 2015
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Grits wrote "Janetr - I've never heard of 'cream cheese sausage balls' ... how do you fix them?"

They are the bomb. 1 lb sausage uncooked (sausage of your preference); 8 oz cream cheese softened; 1 1/4 cups Bisquick; 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese. Mix together well. Roll into 1" balls. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until brown. If you freeze them you need to bake them a few minutes longer. Easy peezy.

Janetr OKC

Oh, Janet! I'm going to try those this Christmas. Thanks for the recipe!

I googled it and found the recipe. It says 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Janetr - Thanks for the recipe. I never thought about adding cream cheese to sausage balls.

Barbie - I had my shingles vaccine at my MD's office because I needed a Rx to have it done; and my insurance did pay for it.

Exermom
    - One of the things that drives me crazy is using the word "done" when "finish" is more appropriate. Like my younger 2 granddaughters saying: "I am done eating"; 'no you are not done; you need to bring me that knife and fork to let me check if you are done or not; "I am finished eating." But, listening to television (especially news) they use it ('done') all the time; and, these are people you'd think would have some formal education past being in HS. But, I have also heard it used by teachers because that is just how they learned it growing up and listening to their parents say it. Like using 'did' when you meant 'done'. Not I got my nails and hair did; you got your hair done.

LilyMay - Our Mother was able to bring her personal stuff to the ALF - such as her sofa and a chair; even her bed (or a bed that was smaller than he king-sized bed with steps up to it; so we opted to keep the bed in the room already; later moved to a hospital bed. Pictures and such hat made her feel like she was home to some degree.

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Morning, all... up since 4:45, not unusual. Last day of my self-imposed week off of exercise, and it's been completely effective in clearing up the symptoms from the fissure. Thank goodness. Fingers crossed a week of traveling between Christmas and New Year's won't bring it back. Can't wait to go in and work out tomorrow!

If you don't see me posting much about Christmas plans, it's because my DH and I don't really do much, if anything, for the day, unless the kids are coming through. I love seeing y'all's plans and celebrations, but we just kind of ignore it. I will be going into town Wednesday night to a Christmas Carol jam with friends, a bunch of us getting together at the local coffeehouse to sing, and if it's reasonably decent weather, we'll all pile on a trailer and drive through town singing... trying to start a local tradition. The coffeehouse owner makes awesome cider--non-alcoholic, I might add--just a bunch of people enjoying themselves.

Makes me happy, and I'll be back here at the ranch on Christmas Eve, enjoying my husband's well-deserved days off with him. The DH's brother, SIL and niece will be here the day after Christmas, then leave the 27th--and of his 11 brothers and sisters, they're my favorite. The 28th, we'll take off for Missouri... or if the weather's too grim to drive that far north, we'll change the reservations and drive down the Gulf Coast. Pretty relaxed about where we go, just definitely going to get away. Hoped to see both grandkids, but the older one will be with the crapweasel sperm donor through January 4th, which is when we have to be back... and the less said about that the better.

Sad news last night, my sister's stepson committed suicide on Thursday, leaving behind two little girls ages 3 and 7 years old, and no insurance payout due to the circumstances. He was a Marine for 12 years, and suffered horribly from PTSD. He shot himself on his dad's (my sister's husband's), birthday. Tough times for my extended family. Spare a thought for them if you can, or a prayer if you bend that way.

Got to go write my Christmas column for the paper... hope yours is lovely. Your Christmas, that is. Unless you have a column, in which case I hope that's lovely, too! :blush:

Regards,
    Lisa from sunny West Texas