Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    exermom - I got this stuff at Pet Smart - Nature's Miracle - Pet Block. I'm not so sure if it works; but, I spray it on the carpet after I have soaked up the urine that Cracker usually pees when someone other than me and DH come in. She is so excited to see 'new people'. The only problem is ... the DGDs are always 'new' to her; but, she is getting used to them somewhat. At least, they have learned to let Cracker come to them in the kitchen and not where the carpet starts. I sprayed the 2 spots on the deck that Cracker seemed to go to and saturated the area. I have not found any more presents; but, she still will NOT go out in the rain for anything. If it is misting she might go out to pee; but, usually I have to put on a raincoat and stand out there with her; she not even willing for me to stand on the carport. Lately, I've been letting her out every 2 - 2 1/2 hours or whenever she wakes up from her nap or if she's been in her 'crate'; and, now she will go and head out the direction of the grass instead of around to the deck. Maybe she has begun to learn that the deck is 'off limits'. LOL! I sure hope so. When I ask her if she has 'pooped' on the deck; I find she cowers away from me; so I have stopped saying anything to her about it. I just watch to make sure she heads out down the steps by the kitchen. I find the product above takes the urine smell out of the carpet - neutralizes it. They told me that it works well. Sometimes I spray some Fabreeze on it if I have some; but, not before spraying the Pet Block on it and letting the area dry, just to make sure the house smells 'fresh' if someone comes in.

I'm 'thrilled' that my migraine went away, too! Even happier that they were able to see me on Tuesday, instead of Wednesday. I don't do well missing my nights' sleep.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Barbie and Katla - Thank you both so much for your kind concern. I definitely have quite a bit of pain and am uncomfortable, but certainly not more than I can cope with. I truly feel very lucky that it has not been any worse. Thank you all. I am truly blessed to have found such a wonderful group of friends.

Janetr OK
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    :#
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    DJ - you are an awesome friend!

Janetr - I'm glad you are on the meds! I hope they work really fast!

Katla - yeah! That was a long recovery. I'm glad you're feeling better!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    edited December 2015
    Mary, thanks for all your kind words of encouragement. I sure hope the meds make a difference quickly too. I'm glad I cooked/baked and froze food and cookies ahead of time. Now I can take it a little easier for a couple of days. I talked to all of Jack's kids today too, wanted to make sure they were aware that I have shingles so they could make their own decision to come for Christmas dinner or not. They will all be here. I should have 22-24 people for dinner, our next door neighbors will come over too. I'm excited and know we will have a wonderful time. The exact reason I love the holidays...family fun and making beautiful memories.

I know you are looking forward to a terrific time with your family at Christmas too. God Bless. Thanks again for the push to get to the doctor and get the meds started.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Katla - I am so pleased to hear you are feeling a little better. This crud has hit hard and held on. Hope you and your husband both recover enough to enjoy your Christmas together.

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    <3
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    I really feel for you that have migraines. I have never had one but have had some really bad headaches. Some of them are bad enough I have to go lay down in a quiet room that is darkened and I put my sleep eye mask on also.And if anyone makes a loud noise then they are, well won't say what I might say to them. So I think all my severe headaches may be due to sinus problems.

Janetr, really I thought it wouldn't be shingles. Didn't know what ti would be since they were blistered which is so typical shingles. So I am glad you are finally on treatment and also the doctor is going to say something to the nurse. When I was working as a nurse we had one doctor's that was famous for his nurse deciding what info to tell the doctor and when she would tell him. She finally got fired.

Allison, I believe that anyone who is on disability can get that card also. Or maybe they have to be on Medicare. Anyway, I knew long ago I could get it but since we rarely travel to the National Parks anymore I never inquired about it. Charlie thinks there isn't enough activity there! He doesn't remember the fun our girls had when we went to the Rockies, Yellowstone, Badlands, any of those places. Those were our favorite vacations. now all he wants to do is amusement parks. Glad you are having a good time there.

Penny, loved the food display. Since it is catered, it would be nice if the caterer came and took it away and cleaned up afterwards.My Dad's family was Swedish so I imagine in the old country they ate that kind of food also.

Thanks for the help Barbie. I would imagine it will take you all year to use up a $125 gift card for a restaurant!

We went to a get together tonight for one of Charlies Karaoke friend. Jim is pat of the Over the hill gang. His daughter had graduated with her 3rd masters. So a bunch of Karaoke friends and his family were invited. His big 2 car garage is set up with a lot of Karaoke machines, dance floor, etc so we had it there. It is heated. So little kids were singing, all the regular Karaoke guys singing. These 30 something girls were doing what I guess could be called line dancing. I have to confess I have never seen line dancing but they were lined up in a line and doing regular choreographed moves to these songs. And oh was the alcohol out in full. Jim said a meal would be served but it was barbeque and a bunch of cheese balls, a meatball that was served in some kind of sauce. It smelled a little bit like mustard and cheese so I took one teeny tiny bite and then took it over to charlie and told him to please get that think off my fork. I hate mustard. Maybe the meatball was good, I don't know but I wasn't going to eat it. I was surprised since it was a graduation party that no deserts were served but I guess that was good for me also.

I can just imagine Mary picking up some kid and using them as a kettle ball!!!

My belly is all good tonight, no problems!

Nitey nite, Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,584 Member
    edited December 2015
    Sorry to hear about the shingles Janetr. I hope it turns out to be a mild case. Mine was. My ex had it at university in his eye area. That was truly horrible!

Katla - glad the crud seems to be retreating. <3

DJ - when I at home I exercise a strict 600 calories a day. On holiday I walked about for hours, climbed a lot of stone steps and it logged as around the same number, 600+, most days. This allowed me around 2,200 calories to stay the same weight. As I put on a pound I obviously occasionally ate a bit over, especially at the start of the holiday. But that is an easy number of calories to stick to. I did not eat pastries or cakes, only once a dessert, which I regretted immediately, and I limited my bread intake. I did have the occasional croissant for breakfast, but nothing else with it. My main calorie expenditure was protein and fats, like oil and cheese. I drank more than I ideally should have. Altogether I think it was the constant ambling that enabled me to eat so well. :D Because we were self catering we weren't subject to the same temptations as in a hotel. I ate more or less as I do at home, just drank more alcohol.

Still haven't decided what to do about the post Christmas guests. My heart isn't in it this year. :| Last year I got DH to mske Moussaka as everyone loves that. Don't know exactly who is coming yet.
    I do have a dilemma. ;):* My #1 son didn't come to DH 's 70th because he had a panic attack at the thought of all the people there, especially my sister in law's daughter with whom he nearly had a relationship. Do I tell him now if she is going to come and risk him not coming down at all? I really want to see him. Of course she may not come. He may feel betrayed if I don't tell him. I would if I were him. :'( Moral dilemma. He could decide to stay just the one night and go home before they arrive, which would be fine. So maybe I'll tell him when he arrives and give him that option. :)

Love to all. DH is trying to decide whether to go to watch our local football team. I hope he does. :laugh:

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,977 Member
    morning ladies~
    Hope all is well..I am tired.. hopefully for the next week and a half we can just relax, this first week here has been run ,run,run with our friends here, and I am not happy we have been out to eat almost every night, a few nights not at great places either..
    today the high will only be about 65 with a slight breeze, that is downright cool for Florida lol
    I really have to get back on board with everything.. with the stress of our marriage for the last 6 months and stuff in general I have fallen off the wagon..
    Tom is out for his walk... he walks 3-4 miles daily as I should be doing.. he see's his 73 yr old uncle and his dad, who worked hard all there lives they are out of shape and his dad with dementia.. he doesnt want to end up like that.so proud of him for taking care of himself...
    Tom and I went over to visit Esther and Harold.. poor Harold he is in a hospital bed in the sunroom out back.we chatted for about 15 minutes.. he really did enjoy our company.. but Esther dotes on him and wont leave his side unless there is an aide there.. told her I could do some grocery shopping or pick up whatever they need ,if need be..
    I think I might try and make a few little dinners that she can freeze, and maybe some cookies.Esther is very very involved with this community down here and I feel so bad that she is missing some of the activities, hence the reason for the plant and the donuts the other day... if Harold was in better shape she would have been there..
    She wont be able to go to the Christmas Pot luck either, so I will ask the people that run it, if I may make a plate to take to them.. I am sure there will be no problem with that..
  • janetr7476
    edited December 2015
    Joyce writes
    "Janetr, really I thought it wouldn't be shingles. Didn't know what ti would be since they were blistered which is so typical shingles. So I am glad you are finally on treatment and also the doctor is going to say something to the nurse. When I was working as a nurse we had one doctor's that was famous for his nurse deciding what info to tell the doctor and when she would tell him. She finally got fired".

Thanks, I'm too am glad I found out for sure and got meds started. I have to say my body always seems to do things differently from the norm. Also I definitely have a higher pain threshold than most so when they were not "all that" painful I just wasn't sure. By the way it was just the receptionist being rude, she would not even let me talk to the nurse.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Heather Thank you. I do believe it will be fairly mild. Think I'll muddle through just fine...with the pain pills.

Janetr OKC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    jmkmomm - when my boys were little and I had a 'migraine'; my DYS used to use a nail to pop the lock on our MBR door, so he could come in and use our bathroom. He'd ALWAYS do that, even if DH and I were in there, too. I'd, too, get into a darkened room, cold, and pull the lined curtains. and ear plugs. One day, it was so bad that I had told the boys NOT to come in my bedroom, I did not care if either one of them wanted to come in and use my bathroom. I put a sign on the door, "DO NOT DISTURB - 'migraine'; unless the house is 'on fire' or someone is 'bleeding' ... I definitely will KILL YOU if you do!" I could not stand 'any' sound and would get up and scream at them to get outside and not come in slamming the door. They were old enough to go out and play in the pen. Big yard and they had everything they needed.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    >:)
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,525 Member
    Checking in.... been really busy lately. Started to clean up mom's house because she won't be going back to it. So started with the 2 fridges, cleaning them out and turning them off. Cleaning out cupboards and giving away any food that wasn't expired ..... I really don't like this job ...this is the second house I have had to do. Did my MIL's about 10 years ago and still remember it!!

Take care everyone

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Both of my sons have had the shingles. One on his back around his waist. Pant waist would rub them. DYS had a really bad case that were inside his mouth, on his neck, up the side of his face, and into his hair. He was very happy that his wife and 'buzzed' his head just a couple of weeks before. He went to the dentist thinking it was a tooth that had gotten infected and they sent him across the state of Louisiana to a Periodontist. The hygienist came in and took one look at him and got the dentist. When he came in, he took one look at him and said, 'you've got the shingles, you need to go next door, now, and be seen by a MD to put you on medications; and, then we will decide what to do then'. Then he went back to the dentist and he gave him some more meds (mouthwash) and he had to come back home and treat them. He then went back to the dentist after the shingles were gone and had to have surgery on his teeth to pull the gum line back down over his teeth. He said 'that' was even more painful. They had to graph skin from the top of his mouth to his gums. That was one of the reasons I was hesitant about having the gums cut away from my teeth; but, that did not bother me other than the sticks to get my gums numb.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Sylvia, love the photo! Definitely true.

Lillian, condolences. I have had to clean out three relatives houses after their deaths and it is not a fun job at all. Try to focus on the good memories, and take plenty of hankies!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,584 Member
    Lillian - hugs . Horrible job. Take it slowly and breathe. <3

Heather
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,199 Member
    :heart:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,977 Member
    well just back from a walk... did a little over 2 miles which is a good start, might go out later and do a bit more...having a cup of tea...
    hopefully today is a rest day from running all over the place, but we are going out to dinner AGAIN with neighbors from the park here.. I am hoping we will go to someplace where I can just get a soup and salad..
    The weather will be back up in the 80's monday so dont mind a few days of cooler weather.. it is still sunny so that is ok with me...
    Lillian~ I dread the day I have to clean my dad's house, that is why I want him to get a dumpster now so we can hoe out stuff before hand... I dont envy you...