Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Replies

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Christmas gift from the Doctor for whom I work. Written and signed by his SiL. jl2cduhomn8u.jpeg
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Janetr - glad you finally got medication for your shingles. I'm glad that you mention something to the doctor about the receptionist. I love the poem.

Sylvia -i'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. You do have a tough decision to make. I hope whatever you do that it helps you to feel better.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited December 2015
    Janetr - no time for the shingles or medicine? Especially the Predisone. It takes me close to an hour to get them out of those plastic thingies. That's what I don't have time for. I guess I could ask the pharmacist to put them in a bottle. I'm sure he could do it better than me. I already ask for the childless tops. What do people who don't have good grips do with things that are so difficult to open? Somethings even my husband cannot open them.

Pip34 - I think you can 'highlight' the part you want to answer to and then hit 'quote' and it will only copy that paragraph. Or, it used to do that (for me).

I once complained to my MD about how rude and mean and rough the girl doing the mammograms had been to me. He said, 'well that is the 2nd complaint I have gotten today; I will do something about it'. She's no longer there, if she is, she isn't doing mammograms. That is a time when you really need someone with compassion to make you feel less tense. I hate it when they put the breast crusher too tight and take their time getting back to you; while they take them into the room for x-rays. I stick to the damn thing and it hurts when I pull the breast and arm off the machine. So she has to put the breast back in if the x-ray is not clear; maybe she should have to do so to get a better picture. Once when he said 'oh it can't hurt that bad (because my breast was really sore, I have implants and though she had maybe caused one to burst); I told him to go over there and put his "Johnson" between 2 plates and have it squeezed flat. I could tell that it made him uncomfortable in more ways than one. He wasn't expecting me to say something like that; but, he has been treating me since I was 24; and I am now 64. He should know better! LOL!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,977 Member
    just helped Tom hook up a 75" tv for his aunt and uncle..holy heavens to betsy this thing looks like a 747 could land on it...
    His uncle is very unsteady on his feet,and doesnt get out much and he basically watchs t.v. all day.. and this is what he wanted..
    Janetr- so sorry you have shingles.. not easy and very painful...Tom had a nasty case of them and was hospitalized overnight,had them in his ear,mouth and over his ear....
    I cant believe Christmas is a week away.. being in Florida it doesnt really feel Christmasy...
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,037 Member
    grits - there's all kinds of ways, I was trying to give her the easiest way
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Evening, Ladies.

Sylvia, that is so sweet of you to take the kids for a play clay day.

Vicki, burrrrr. It is actually going to go down to about freezing here tonight. I don't want to trade temps with you.

Pip, ohhhhhhh, I just didn't realize. LOL I love the picture.

Heather, how wonderful that you were able to eat and drink all that good stuff in France and only put on 1 pound. A vacation after my own heart!!!

Janetr, love that you burned the brownies!!! Too cute. Thanks. So sorry that it's shingles and that the *kitten* wouldn't let you at least talk to the nurse. Love, love, love the poem!

Today I left my friend alone for a few hours and went home to cut my hair. When I woke up this morning it had grown a few inches overnight. *Well it felt like it anyway* Tomorrow I go home and she will be alone tomorrow night. The doctor didn't want her staying alone yet but she is doing so well I don't think it will be a problem.

I hope you all have a happy and healthy day.

Words I live by:
    Savor: I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    Opportunity: Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Love you,
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Janetr - no time for the shingles or medicine? Especially the Predisone. It takes me close to an hour to get them out of those plastic thingies. That's what I don't have time for. I guess I could ask the pharmacist to put them in a bottle. I'm sure he could do it better than me. I already ask for the childless tops. What do people who don't have good grips do with things that are so difficult to open? Somethings even my husband cannot open them."

No time for the shingles, too much to do with all my family coming for Christmas. The Prednisone is in a bottle, so no problem. I do understand about the child proof caps, I too struggle with them some times.

Janetr OKC
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Grits - my pharmacy account says "arthritis. Easy open bottles only ". If they try to give me something still in blister packs i remind them that I can't access the medication. Frustrating for them but impossible for me so I stand my ground.
  • janetr7476
    Allison - thanks, I'm very thankful they are located on my hip. Could have been much worse.

Janetr OKC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    :o
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,811 Member
    We are getting snow!! It will be gone by Christmas though.

Stomach is off ... So good time to be making fudge for last Christmas boxes. I'm not interested in even a taste!

DH is off until after the first of the year. We went to a few estate sales before it started snowing. The sale I thought had something I wanted was a dud. On a whim, went to another one and found a lovely antique, ornately framed shadow box type mirror for dining room. (I'm sure there's another name for this thing but I don't know what it is.) Will need a lot of work to be usable.... A new year project! But it was a steal!

Vicki ... The star shower lights keep flashing off and on in the snow storm. Don't know what's causing that. Rather annoying.

Making it an early evening.
    Beth

• pipcd34
  • janetr7476
    edited December 2015
    I also mentioned to the doctor today that I only average four hours of sleep a night, so he gave me a different sleep Rx. I'm hoping it will help me to sleep at least six hours each night. That would be great. We shall see.

Thank you all for the kind words and thots on my shingles ordeal. :) Love you all my friends.

Janetr OKC
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    MFP Advent Calendar

Dec 18th~ "And this is Mary, my dear wife, so gentle, pure and mild. We've traveled far from Nazareth tonight was born the Child."

Tomorrow I will take pictures of the tree. If you see yourself give a hearty shout out:-)

Today I am reminded of my womanhood, and TOM came to visit. Now, Time Of Month has NOT visited me since last JANUARY....so I was NOT happy. ( *insert LONG sigh*)...... Today when we were at Fred Meyers (our only large grocery, and apparel store) I actually got dizzy. I was walking next to husband so I just kind of leaned on him. Ugh..

Came home, relaxed a bit and my middle sister called. To inform me that both her daughters are dealing with illness's so the trip to visit me would be postponed until January. Very thoughtful for her to call me and I am glad our earlier in the month chat has changed her ways a bit.

Sharing stresses do help each of us cope. Its in our nature to reach out to family and friends. Keeping stresses inside can lead to your own health crisis's. Whenever my husbands' liver illness landed him and I in ER I would immediately call someone, ANYONE.

Great pics of The Feast Penny! Hunker down during the storm :-)

Ah @Katla49 that is a summer pic when I went out with hubby for a concert, and drinks after. I was in THAT DRESS heehee. I need to get my hair cut that same way. Right now its loopy all over the place and seems to be fighting it!

Listening to a downpour, mixed with hail. OK the time it took to type that, answer husband that yep it WAS raining, its not raining....coastal weather gotta love it.

Becca
    in the sunny, cloudy, rainy, hailing, windy part of
    the Northern TIP of Oregon
  • pipcd34
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.32min, 15.4amph, 148mhr, 2.9mi = 100c
    other- 7 different stretch exercises - 28.21min, 3 sets of 10 each, mhr90 = 54c
    rowing machine- 10min, 41aw, 5resist, 1477meters = 56c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.54min, 11.7amph, 1.3mi = 85c
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.05min, 8.8amph, 154mhr, 2.6mi = 194c
    total cal 489

amph = average miles per hour
    aw = average watts -how much power i'm putting out per minute
    resist- resistance (rowing machine 1-10)
    mhr = maximum heart rate
    c = calories
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,467 Member
    Did an hour of exercise in the water today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Patrick Goudeau Metabolic Training DVD. We shall see what that one's like

janetr - lol your post (saying) and the one about the brownies. So sorry about you're having the shingles. Glad you told the doc about how you were treated. Loved the gift wrap and jewel

Joyce - bet you made Charlie feel like he has company

After exercise went to WalMart to return some things and buy some foods. Trying to get things bought for Christmas Eve.

This afternoon went to get my hair colored. Remember how I was saying that I may try to get someone new? Well, I'm definitely. The reason I was going there intiially was because it was on the way home from the Y and I could get my hair done after exercising. Then she got a job somewhere else and was only working here part time. Was going to have another lady do my hair this time but she didn't have any openings so the other gal was going to do it. Then she calls yesterday saying that she wouldn't be in the shop until later in the day and could I change or else someone else could do it? So I changed and just went later. Then....after she colors my hair and I'm ready to pay, suddenly she says to me "oh, I don't take cards any more". HUH????? Luckily, I had just barely enough in my pocketbook so I paid her in cash. I told her that I was going to give her something but I can't now. I wasn't about to run down to having $0 in my wallet. I DO NOT like when someplace won't take a credit card. You never know when the cost will go up and I don't want to be stuck not being able to pay. Problems..... Guess I just may try the gal that Vince goes to, only he doesn't know if she accepts credit cards since he never uses one. Update: there's a thing on the web that says they do

Wrapped all the gifts. Just need to get some stocking stuffers for Jess, Denise and Colby. Thanks for the idea of restaurant gift certificates, Joyce

Penny - beautiful spread. You're posts are so interesting. I can't imagine snow on my door. Please stay safe

Lenora - what do you spray so that Crackers doesn't go back and reuse the spot on the deck? I've tried so many dfferent things, but the cats seem to always come back. So glad your migrane went away

Alison - isn't there something where you need to get a book stamped showing that you've gone to a state park and once you get the book filled you get something? I seem to remember a friend of ours did that.

DJ - Vince said that he was waiting for ME to wrap them. Hey, I did that before he retired!!! So last night I specifically said to him "let's wrap the gifts tomorrow before my hair appointment. So we actually set aside a time to do it. You're right, when dealing with a man you have to be REAL REAL specific

Becca - how I sympathize with you. I wasn't getting TOM for almost a year and then suddenly got it real heavy. I was concerned and went to the doc who said it may be my body's last hurrah. Fortunately, that was it. but I know the frustration of not having it for a long time and then suddenly getting it.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    :'(:'(Janetr, I am so sorry to hear about the shingles and how long you had to wait to be seen by your doctor.....many hugs to you <3<3

:) Joyce, you have to save the photos from Facebook on your computer before you can post them on MFP. When you save the pictures on your computer, you can call them anything you want.

:) Today was the line dance holiday event. I encouraged everyone to wear festive clothing and someone asked if treats were welcome. I planned eleven familiar dances but planned to dance them to holiday music. Lots of people wore festive clothing and there were so many treats that we couldn't eat them all. I brought a cup of Jake's favorites home to him and I ate none of the treats. The class gave me a card with a gift certificate to my favorite restaurant for $125.00. I was shocked.

:'( Now I'm beginning the seven day moratorium on exercise that my doctor recommended to see if that gives me any relief from the pain, tingling, and numbness. That will be a real challenge for me but I will do my best. I'll do the first thing in the morning dog walk and Jake will do all the rest of the walking. I have knitting projects and paperwork and computer tasks and TV watching to do to keep me occupied.

<3 Barbie
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Barbie, all my sympathy... sitting still this last week was HARD. Feeling better than I have in months now, though. I hope you get similar results.

Lisa
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    wfpsxymqisx0.jpeg

Pip, this made me think of you. Does that dog look spoiled or what?
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Janetr: Laughing out loud! Thank you. I'll learn from your experience and avoid napping while I bake. :laugh: I am so sorry you're suffering from shingles. :tear: I'm glad you told the doctor how poorly you were treated by his receptionist and I hope he really does something about it. :grumble:

Barbie: The moratorium on exercise will be tough. I hope it produces some genuine improvement and also an understanding of what is going on. :heart:

DH & I have been sick for over a week, and I'm not ready to run a marathon but I feel a little better today. I hope to be even better tomorrow. Fingers crossed. :ohwell:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png