WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,581 Member
    Options
    morning peep-c's

lagopus - sounds and looks like you had a great time there. i woulda put a couple of more fire pits around us tho, brrrrr.

katla49 - i've seen that joke before about rehoming the person rather than the poocher, funny.

exermom - another great thing about using clips instead of just shoes is you get a better more efficient pedal stroke. with shoes, you tend to use alot of quad. but when you clip in, you can concentrate and use a better more efficient up stroke so you are working the hamstring more. i got a couple of ladies to buy some inexpensive bike shoes for the spin classes (they don't ride outside) just for that reason, better use of your whole leg. if you have questions about stuff feel free to ask me. my mentor, go to person is Kirby, i've learned so much from him. if i don't know the answer, i'll get it from him then i'll learn something too or i'll look it up.

jmkmomm - sorry to hear about your ms issues.

kimses2 - i must be unusual, i don't think i fell over 3 times when i was learning to use the bike clips. i unclipped as i saw that i was coasting to a stop, this way i would already be unclipped. i did learn that the clip can be adjusted too. when i first was using them it was so hard, i found that they had to be tweaked, then i was able to unclip alot easier. what is really hard when you're learning is if you live in a hilly area or city (like me) and you have to stop on an hill going up! that is a bear.

today, i finally was able to twist my hair up by myself without the use of the wall. usually i had been putting my elbow on the wall so i could keep my arm up so i could put my hair up in a pony tail cuz i couldn't keep my hand up for that long, but today i did. today is PT day w/kirby, will be the second session.

last night i rode home on a new route that i think kirby should try. it seems like it will be a better option for him, who knows. i told him about it. we'll see when the time comes.

type to ya later, hasta luego
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    And finally, for those of us on this thread that continually put their kids (and their husbands) needs ahead of their own… Just remember that putting yourself first is not selfish. It’s what allows you to be the strong, kind, and loving woman that can effectively and sustainably help others. o:)
    Linda/IA

As I was laying on the PT table hooked up to the neck traction machine this morning trying to find my zen place for 20 minutes of traction I had this thought:

I deserve the best of me which is all too often given to others.

Thank you Linda for reinforcing my thoughts!

This will be my 2016 motto.

Cheri NE Ohio

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many posts since last evening.

Lisa ~ Be safe on your journey.

Penny ~ Thanks so much for sharing your life in Norway. What a learning experience for all of us who are in the far away US.

Terri ~ So glad you were able to get home safely.

Joyce ~ So sorry to hear about your DH's anger problems. My DH shouts and cusses but never hits things. I imagine a lot of his anger is due to feeling helpless over all the physical problems he has been suffering.

I am happy to say that I have been back on track for the last 3 days. I am trying to do some stretching and light hand weights. I didn't really gain any more over the holiday but just maintained the 5 lbs I have put back on over the last year.

Wishing all who are in the various weather storms to stay safe!

Carol

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I have a very stubborn naughty puppy! All he wants to do is bite me today. I made the Cesar sound and the neck bite but didn't work so I had to put him in the kennel while I got ready to go for a walk. He won't walk willingly with me on leash. So I carried him to the walking trail, or he would have had to be dragged. I put him down and walked away turned around and clapped hands until he came running. I had to do that about 5 times. Then he would run behind me dragging the leash. I tried picking up the leash but he would fight it every time. I would walk about 20-30 steps, stop and he would stop and sit next to my foot. I would do a clicking noise like I did with my horse and whistle and pet him. No talking or words. We were able to walk 1.2 miles. I plan to do this 3 times a day.

Last night he wanted to go out an hour after bedtime. He did go both even though he did right before bed as well. Then he eats snow. An hour later he started whining again and I knew he just wanted more snow to eat so I ignored him. He went back to sleep. At 4:00 he wakes again. I ignore and shoosh until 4:20. I take him out he pees a very little but I think his reason for going out is to eat snow! I let him have water until 8:30. Any suggestions???? I don't want him waking up just to go out to eat snow. Then have to go pee because he ate snow.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. It turned out that we didn't get any more snow overnight, so it was an easy drive into town this morning. I met my friend at the Y, then came to the studio. I've been goofing off, waiting for the heaters to warm the place up. Meanwhile I've been searching for a place to get my hair cut. It occurred to me that my hair was in my eyes this morning and of course, I want to get it cut TODAY but nobody can get me in on such short notice. Tomorrow is new years eve, so I bet the salons are swamped with people wanting to look pretty for the big parties. Poor planning on my part, I'm afraid.

My two artist friends are coming here at 1:00 to discuss the art coop that we are putting together. It's just the three of us till we get the details ironed out, then we will start inviting other artists to "apply". We want to be selective about who get in. So today we are going to go over the bylaws and the application form. We copied one from another coop we found online, so we are just going through and changing things to fit our group.

Hubby is coming here for lunch so I hope I can get him out the door by 1:00. For some reason he prefers to come to the studio to have a hot dog rather than going to McDonalds or some other place that is closer to his office. Must be my delightful company that keeps him coming back! I keep hot dogs in the fridge for him and other things for me. It works out pretty well.

My new studio partner has still not come by to work or even set up his space. I had to move things around in his area a little bit the other day because the roof leaks and with all the rain I was afraid it would get his stuff wet. So I cleared off his table and put a big wedding cake pan on the table to catch any drips. Sure enough, it was nearly full yesterday. Hubby said the first nice day he is going to get up on the roof and see if he can fix it. I'd feel better if we just hired somebody, but he thinks it should be simple to fix with a can of that waterproofing spray like they advertise on TV. We'll see how that works out.

Gotta go get busy. Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • pipcd34
    Options
    fanncy - pup shouldn't eat/drink around 3 hrs b4 bedtime. if he's eating, drinking later than that, that will cause him to go during the night
  • fanncy0626
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Rest day for SL. Beginning of week 3 of 5 week Kettlebell program.

Goblet squats 4x5x25
    Russian Kettlebell Swings 16x7x25

This is easy but I couldn't find a heavier Kettlebell at the stores. Although the sets and reps will increase for the next three weeks.
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    fanncy - pup shouldn't eat/drink around 3 hrs b4 bedtime. if he's eating, drinking later than that, that will cause him to go during the night

Thanks! I will shoot for 6:30. I will have to try to keep him from eating the snow. I plan on a 8:30 evening walk. This is a lot of work. However, he is so cute!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    Options
    :0)
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday, well weigh in this morning was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I am up 1 pound. So today is a new day and not going to stress about it. Deep breath and prayer.

Terri--Sorry to hear you are stuck at work. Hope it works out so you can get home. Glad to see the help arrived and getting you home.

Allison--I agree by trying to make things easier for our children we have made a generation of spoiled brats.

Joyce--Sorry you have to be on guard and can not just relax. Please take sometime for yourself too.

Heather--Glad to hear visit is DS#1 went well and you had fun.

Janetr--How scary!

Elaine--Your drawings are very good, thanks for sharing.

Pip--congrates on getting your hair up without the wall.

Well ladies each of you take care and if you are where the cold and snow is stay warm. Those with the rain and flood water stay dry.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE

December Goals
    1. weigh less end of the month then at the first.
    2. log my food, every bite
    3. Take each day as it comes
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Hope you are resting up from one holiday before the next. For the first time in years we are not going out on NYE; last year at the dance is when I ripped my meniscus so this year we are just taking it easy and watching movies here at home. Well we didn’t get out 17+ inches of snow, but we did get a good 6” and I shoved/blew snow for an hour yesterday. When I came in, I could hardly move!

DD#2 was coming home from Sioux City Sunday night after working her shift and she blew the engine in her car and was stranded on the side of the interstate for 3 hours. DH went to rescue her, but there was nothing he could do. I did call the state patrol and they sent a trooper who stayed the entire time, even after DH got there. That eased my worried heart and got him a nice thank you letter!

Pip: sounds like you guys are really into the cycling! We are mere amateurs but do love our recumbent bikes!

Rori: what a great adventure without tv!

Sylvia: I hope you were spared the worst of the weather

Lisa: stay safe!

Penny: your life sounds so interesting!

Margaret: sorry to hear that hubby is ill

Heather: greyhounds make wonderful pets! We’d have one but they usually can’t go to homes with cats…that prey instinct is too imbedded in them.

Sylvia: it’s cold and snowy here but at least we didn’t get the huge snow storm that had been predicted…well it would have been interesting! Stay out of the floods down there!

Becca: sorry I’m no help; I have several jewelry cases. If it hangs in my house I think I need to dust it LOL

Karen: sounds like a wonderful time eating all that seafood!

Michele: I will keep the snow, but don’t send me any of the stormy weather!

Mary from mN: here’s my suggestion: dog trainer LOL. He sounds like a typical puppy to me! Just like a toddler. If he’s fighting the leash a ton, you could buy a cheap one and cut it off about 5” long and attach it to him so he “wears” it around all day long. That works sometimes. I agree with whoever said (Pip?) not to let him eat or drink several hours before bedtime. Our poor dog has Cushings and drinks a ton, so no stopping him, but your puppy is another story.

Well this is short and incomplete, but I need to get going to my nail appointment. Loved seeing all the photos!
    Take care, Meg from chilly Omaha!
  • fanncy0626
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the help dog training! Here is a picture of Shep on our walk. I finally remembered to bring some doggy treats! Hopefully it was a much more pleasant experience for him. We walked a little over a mile again.
    mcf9abdap8pf.jpeg
    8d9n0jfio8n5.jpeg

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    Options
    megblair1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Hope you are resting up from one holiday before the next. For the first time in years we are not going out on NYE; last year at the dance is when I ripped my meniscus so this year we are just taking it easy and watching movies here at home. Well we didn’t get out 17+ inches of snow, but we did get a good 6” and I shoved/blew snow for an hour yesterday. When I came in, I could hardly move!

Pip: sounds like you guys are really into the cycling! We are mere amateurs but do love our recumbent bikes!

Well this is short and incomplete, but I need to get going to my nail appointment. Loved seeing all the photos!
    Take care, Meg from chilly Omaha!

I guess you could say we are.. Kirby has been riding year round for close to 30 years. I've been riding year round for probably 5-6 years now. by that I mean, we ride 5 days a week to/from work or to the local train or bus station and then ride home when we come back. this is in all weather, all year. because of this we are very well equipped on riding gear and bike shoes and bike lights, rules, etc. like the postman, rain, sleet, black ice, snow, wind, whatever, we ride.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    fancy - how old is your pup? be careful, a mile may be too long depending on the age. the joints are not even matured yet, still growing. you have to stop the poocher, cuz they may want to keep going even if they shouldn't
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    fancy - how old is your pup? be careful, a mile may be too long depending on the age. the joints are not even matured yet, still growing. you have to stop the poocher, cuz they may want to keep going even if they shouldn't

He is only seven weeks old today. I didn't think of him not being ready for a walk. I was reading the dog whisperer book and he said to take them on a long walk 2-3 times a day. I thought a long walk was about a mile. But, maybe you are right about his development. I myself have no idea. I am only on chapter 3 in the book on how to care for the puppy.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Mary: Soooo cute, he's doing puppy things, time my friend,

Margaret: Can I help, can cook. Doing crock pot dump, love it!!

What is CICO ???? My doctor said the same thing, too old , need surgery for weight loss.
    Gayle Minneapolis
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Galye...CICO=calories in, calories out

Chris in MA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Margaret: :heart:

Pip: Cogratulations!!! :bigsmile: "today, i finally was able to twist my hair up by myself without the use of the wall. usually i had been putting my elbow on the wall so i could keep my arm up so i could put my hair up in a pony tail cuz i couldn't keep my hand up for that long, but today i did. today is PT day w/kirby, will be the second session."

Gayle: CICO= Calories In, Calories Out. :wink:

I'm having a low energy day today and doing as little as possible. I talked to my daughter about the road trip we were planning from CO to IL. I can't do it right now. The flu won't let go of me or of DH. I wish things were different but they are what they are. Hopefully we can have a nice adventure in the spring when the weather is good and the flu is long behind us.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

He is only seven weeks old today. I didn't think of him not being ready for a walk. I was reading the dog whisperer book and he said to take them on a long walk 2-3 times a day. I thought a long walk was about a mile. But, maybe you are right about his development. I myself have no idea. I am only on chapter 3 in the book on how to care for the puppy.

<3

Mary from Minnesota

7 weeks! yikes, 1 mile is too long girlfriend.... take it easy, got to build up to that distance. usually, pups are for sale to the public until they are 8weeks old.
  • Katla49
    Options
    jlniynyls1zj.jpg

Our Keeshond, Schooner
  • Katla49
    edited December 2015
    Options
    :heart: