I do what with butter...?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean a lesson in a bad way. You'd have to be me to really understand. It's nothing bad, it's a good thing. I'm just teaching myself something new and to kick my binge eating in the butt.

With regards to your binge eating, would you mind elaborating on what kinds of foods you binge on, and what triggers you to do this, and what constitutes a binge in your mind? Because there have been so many points about food and nutrition that you have misunderstood up to this point, I'm curious if correcting some of those by eating a sensible diet in moderation may ultimately nip the binging issue in the bud to begin with. Are you binging because you were restricting so hard, due to the extremely flawed recommendations of your ex? If so, and you just start eating a variety of foods at a reasonable calorie deficit and allow room for the foods that you tend to binge on, maybe you wouldn't actually binge on them?

Please note - I am not a binge eater so I don't have direct experience with this, however, I feel like some additional details about this may help others who have struggled with this give you help on how to control it. I'm just not convinced that continued radical elimination of a certain food group is the best solution for you, based on the information you've already provided.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    In order to bring up my calories and fat intake, I eat straight up butter and salt it. I get it's not the healthiest, but I'm under strict low carb diet.

Question: Does anyone else do this? Do you think I should stop, or do you have a better alternative?

I buy Breton butter with special sel de guerande expressly for this purpose. No salting necessary.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You have a problem if you're eating less than 1000 calories from actual food and fill the rest up with eating straight butter.
    Like, a serious problem.

Why? (in other words, what's the substance to your scare tactics? )
  • Jerzaka
    Jerzaka Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What about avocado? I used to do Atkins. For yearssssssssssss. Loved it! Loved BACON! Until I went in for my annual one year and out of the blue - my cholesterol jumped to 266. YIKES. Now, I eat a balanced diet. Boring. LOL
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    You have a problem if you're eating less than 1000 calories from actual food and fill the rest up with eating straight butter.
    Like, a serious problem.

First and foremost would be the lack of appropriate amounts of micronutrients.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    OP, there are lots of people on this site that are binge eaters as well (I'm not one). Posts I've seen from them indicate being overly restrictive is one of the major triggers for later binges.

I'm sure there is a group on this board for binge eaters - why not join that group and get some advice from people who are successfully (and not-so-successfully) managing it?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm on a lowish carb diet, just try to stay below 100g. I started this because i was sick of constantly being hungry and counting down the minutes to my next meal, even though I was eating what is thought of as the most satiating carb choices.
    Now I am happy and full and don't have the burden of thinking about food, food, food all day long. My cravings for sweets has also dramatically diminished.

I would think that eating approximately 500 calories more a day over your previous intake has more to do with your satiety than your macro ratio.
  • Mallybear2020
    Mallybear2020 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I will say my ex is right, I don't really have a lot of self discipline. However I am working on that. I'm trying to workout extra hard and focus my stress eating onto the workout.

Binge for me goes like this: I eat well, then I am done. I start thinking about other food that tastes better, even though I'm full. Then it turns into a stressful situation where my craving is fighting with the rest of me. Then I give in and cramp in a bunch of food that wasn't supposed to be in my diet. Then I promise to do better the next day, but that doesn't happen. The cycle ends up repeating itself til I gain 3-5lbs because of it.

I will say my ex is right, I don't have a lot of self discipline. However I am working on that. I'm trying to workout extra hard and focus my stress eating onto the workout.
    So far I am managing well.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I will say my ex is right, I don't really have a lot of self discipline. However I am working on that. I'm trying to workout extra hard and focus my stress eating onto the workout.

Binge for me goes like this: I eat well, then I am done. I start thinking about other food that tastes better, even though I'm full. Then it turns into a stressful situation where my craving is fighting with the rest of me. Then I give in and cramp in a bunch of food that wasn't supposed to be in my diet. Then I promise to do better the next day, but that doesn't happen. The cycle ends up repeating itself til I gain 3-5lbs because of it.

I will say my ex is right, I don't have a lot of self discipline. However I am working on that. I'm trying to workout extra hard and focus my stress eating onto the workout.
    Also a binge eater (working on it). I found that I tried cutting out foods from my diet made me crave them more. All I could think about was the "bad" foods that were no nos, but I had to have them. I'd obsess and think about the at work, on the way home, and they'd be the first things I'd eat when I walk in the door.

I've had much better success not labeling any foods as bad or saying I can't have x because it's not "on my diet". I try to eat mostly whole, nutritious foods. when I have room in my day, I work in a treat. I save up calories because my weekends can have a lot of calorie dense foods. I do a lot more cardio now so I can eat more and have more treats.

Personally, this worked far better than a very restrictive diet.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Also a binge eater (working on it). I found that I tried cutting out foods from my diet made me crave them more. All I could think about was the "bad" foods that were no nos, but I had to have them. I'd obsess and think about the at work, on the way home, and they'd be the first things I'd eat when I walk in the door.

I've had much better success not labeling any foods as bad or saying I can't have x because it's not "on my diet". I try to eat mostly whole, nutritious foods. when I have room in my day, I work in a treat. I save up calories because my weekends can have a lot of calorie dense foods. I do a lot more cardio now so I can eat more and have more treats.

Thank you for sharing this. I think there are others who have had similar success, but since I have not directly had to deal with binge eating, I was hesitant to say that someone who does struggle with this should try introducing the foods in moderation.

OP again, one recurring theme I keep seeing from you are comments about eating foods that aren't supposed to be in your diet, foods that taste better, eating well, etc. If you maybe look at a less restrictive program overall, instead of a certain diet - just open yourself to eating ALL foods in moderation, you won't feel the need to binge, as @auddii has suggested was the situation in her case. With no medical reasons to restrict foods, you can truly eat ANY food you want as long as you are in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. No special "diet" needed. Promise.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Thank you for sharing this. I think there are others who have had similar success, but since I have not directly had to deal with binge eating, I was hesitant to say that someone who does struggle with this should try introducing the foods in moderation.

OP again, one recurring theme I keep seeing from you are comments about eating foods that aren't supposed to be in your diet, foods that taste better, eating well, etc. If you maybe look at a less restrictive program overall, instead of a certain diet - just open yourself to eating ALL foods in moderation, you won't feel the need to binge, as @auddii has suggested was the situation in her case. With no medical reasons to restrict foods, you can truly eat ANY food you want as long as you are in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. No special "diet" needed. Promise.

So much truth here, OP. So much truth.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I have struggled with binges in the past. Very low calorie diets set me off. Restricting carbohydrates or fat to low levels sets me off. Trying to avoid certain foods dubbed "bad" sets me off.

I've been counting calories for almost a year now and haven't had a binge once. I know my problem wasn't as severe what other people have struggled with, but it's felt like such a blessing to get rid of the secret eating and the guilt and the crying and the sick feelings. I really feel like calorie logging and a moderate approach has changed my life for the better. Hitting goal weight feels like just a bonus. I think about food when I'm logging it, cooking it, eating it, or when I otherwise choose to (reading about food or watching food TV). It feels like food finally has its rightful place in my life.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Like, a serious problem.

I can't even.
    Excuse me while I go pet some puppies to calm down. #petPupsErryday
  • dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    He lied to you about "EVERYTHING"

INCLUDING HOW TO LOSE WEIGHT AND BE HEALTHY.
  • Mallybear2020
    Mallybear2020 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    @dalielahdawn

What he was doing is something he said I should try. It works for him, because he is healthy/looks like a model.
    It just doesn't work for me.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Like, a serious problem.

I can't even.
    Excuse me while I go pet some puppies to calm down. #petPupsErryday

I'll PM you the deets on our A2PP (addicted to puppy petting) support group.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'd eat a chunk of cheese instead

Or a handful of nuts.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm stuffing in a piece of bologna and fixing a scrambled egg.
    Let my gag reflexes commence.

@Mallybear2020 it is not everyone's cup of coffee (could be done with tea, etc) but I have started the day many times with 600 calories from coconut oil (love the stuff) and 200 calories of Heavy Whipping Cream in my first cup of coffee. It is part of my 1300 breakfast. Almonds, coconut flakes and an egg is good for the other 500 calories.

I think I have a mental block to butter because as a kid I milked the cows by hand and my mom churned the butter.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    My cousin could be a fitness model for a magazine and I still don't take diet advice from him. He does this slow care crap thing that I feel is completely ridiculous for me. I love pasta, I love bread. I still eat them on a pretty regular basis and continuously weight. No one way of eating works for everyone but. Eating sticks of butter man the idea makes me want to throw up for you. Give just CICO a try for 2 weeks. It will work plus you are already at a healthy weight for your height so weight loss is going to be slow period.