White addiction

Options

Replies

• blogasese
    blogasese Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I eat most of the foods you listed, hasn't hindered my weight loss. Are you tracking your intake on MFP?
    Hey, I do try to. Actually just started tracking my food :) weight its not the problem I am quite confident whet it comes to my curves its all about how I feel ( tired most of the time). And my health - I am scared of diabetes and things. But I am happy for you that sweet do not influence you wonderful body :)
  • blogasese
    edited December 2015
    Options
    What are your goals and why do you want to eliminate sugar? If your goal is to lose weight, then focus on calories first. Once you get that under control if you want to switch your diet to more nutritious things or more well balanced, then maybe focus on macros. Once you have a good macro balance, then maybe work on eliminating extra sugars.

Sugar isn't evil, its just an easy target to blame.

Im surely dont mind to lose some kilograms but its more about my health, I am eating so much sweet that I am scared of diabetes and other effects like tooth damage. But to be honest I never admitted to my self that I eat to much sugars till some time ago, so I think its my first step to start eating smart food :)
  • blogasese
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    blogasese wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Isn't cocaine white? I'm confused...

haha from now on its all about sugar :)

You are seriously going to have a rough go with this thread - not only from the title but just the general topic, just warning you. Sugar isn't addictive. It is pleasurable, but it is not addictive. Some people have medical reasons to restrict sugar, and others have difficulty moderating sugar, and there are several approaches you can try if you feel you have an issue with this, but there is nothing inherently bad with sugar as a substance.

I don't believe that not eating meat makes you more susceptible to difficulty moderating your sugar intake, from a physiological perspective. I do think people find that protein and fat are satiating, and so if you are hungrier in general, you may try to think of what sounds good, and something sweet is a common choice, but not because of sugar being addictive. Just that sweet things, like cookies, brownies, ice cream, etc - these are comforting foods.

Hey thank you for your opinion! I changed name of the topic. But the idea is that its more like emotional addiction, cause I cut lots bad habits recently so its kind of my reward but I understand that its fooling my self. so thats why I shared my worries, to get inspired by people like you that have actual knowledge about nutritions :)
  • blogasese
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    More seriously, OP, I don't believe in sugar addiction, but I do have a number of thoughts about how to get more controlled in one's eating habits, especially with things like sweets (or other high cal, low nutrient snack-like foods).

An important part of it is to understand when you are struggling -- where are you eating the foods, under what circumstances? Typically it's related to habit, so you need to break the habit and perhaps not eat the foods under the triggering circumstances for a time, if there are triggering circumstances. I had a tendency of eating stuff I didn't particularly wish to eat (which is around my office at all times) when I was stressed or bored or wanted to avoid doing something I was supposed to do or tired or emotional, on and on. And since I was using it in these ways and had a habit of snacking during the day when I'd start eating it was tough to stop. I made it a lot easier on myself by deciding that I don't eat in a non-mindful way anymore, and I mostly don't eat outside of meal times. If I want something outside of a meal, I think through why I want it, what I'm going to be having really soon, the calories and what I will have to give up to fit it in my day, etc. On occasion, if I still want it (if it's really worth it, and not just something that's there), I may eat it and give up my usual after dinner treat in return.

As for the meat issue, I don't know, but I have found that rather than focusing on not eating things (which always keeps the attention on what you cannot eat and might want -- making it seem more tempting and emphasizing deprivation), I like to focus on what I can and should eat (and love) to have an overall nutritious diet. For me that includes meat, but it need not -- you need protein, but there are non meat sources, of course. More significant than meat is having a balanced and calorie appropriate (don't go too low) diet with adequate protein, vegetables, whatever else you consider important. For me, if I mostly fill up my calories that way I can have a treat (something lower nutrient, whether sugary or cheese or something else) that fits in my calories and not feel compelled to overeat.

Hey, thank you so much, such a informative comment. I will definitely keep in mind your ideas :wink:
  • blogasese
    Options
    alanahp93 wrote: »
    I've never been a sweet tooth but almost every night I have a cup of tea (no sugar) and a chocolate biscuit, keeps the cravings at bay if I know I will get my reward in the end. But its far to easy to have another biscuit, and another, and another.... just stay strong and remember to keep to your goal! :)

Thank you Alan! for me the most difficult thing is how to stop. If I do not take the first one I have a hope than :smiley:
  • blogasese
    Options
    I had a problem with over eating sweets and thinking about them ALL the time. I finally increased my protein and fat intake and it has made a significant difference. I still let myself indulge, but the desire to indulge is not constant anymore and the consumption is no longer insatiable.

Hey, Morgan :) what exact protein products you use?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What are your goals and why do you want to eliminate sugar? If your goal is to lose weight, then focus on calories first. Once you get that under control if you want to switch your diet to more nutritious things or more well balanced, then maybe focus on macros. Once you have a good macro balance, then maybe work on eliminating extra sugars.

Im surely dont mind to lose some kilograms but its more about my health, I am eating so much sweet that I am scared of diabetes and other effects like tooth damage. But to be honest I never admitted to my self that I eat to much sugars till some time ago, so I think its my first step to start eating smart food :)

Instead of focusing on what you want to stop /reduce eating, pay attention to what foods you want to increase. Maybe eat more fats and oils, more protein, or for example, more veggies like broccoli, yellow squash, winter squash, leafy vegetables.
    Also, sometimes looking up and creating new recipes for those foods helps you eat in a way that nourishes and supports your goals.
  • blogasese
    Options
    Merrysix wrote: »
    I do a lot better when I don't eat foods with added sugar (and also stick to the lower natural sugar fruits). I feel better, and I can better meet my calorie macros by not wasting calories on sugar. This works for me -- but not everybody needs to limit sugar to feel better/lose weight. Anyway ...here's how it works for me -- I find it easiest just not to eat foods w/ added sugar/high sugar fruits. After about 30 days I just don't miss them, and because I feel so much better it is totally worth it. What do I eat instead? More protein and more fat. Another thing that works for me, is to eat 5 smaller meals a day with adequate protein, cause when I feel hungry I crave sugary things. The upshot -- I feel better, keep my calories where they are set for weight loss, and exercise more (weightlifing, running, 6x per week) cause I feel better!

Wow you are my hero B) If you dont mind can you share few your fav and healthiest choice of food that contains protein and fats? thank you
  • blogasese
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I'll call this a first-world white problem. I tried to find an illustration to demonstrate what I'm talking about but I just ended up drawing it myself.

bit.ly/1SCRS27

While obsessing over the white stuff, you are missing the bigger issue bearing down on you. Which is your diet in context. It may very well be you aren't eating enough protein. Fill in your diet overall with the things that you need, and sugar will be crowded out. Don't demonise it and don't try and kill it. Come to terms with it.

I understand your obsession with the white stuff is far below the threshold for an obsessive disorder, but I find the same technique to Relabel, Reattribute, Refocus, and Revalue to be very helpful.

http://www.hope4ocd.com/foursteps.php[/quw
    What a skills Rembrandto! You are actually right, since last five days I was following my diet and I am definitely not getting enough protein..
  • blogasese
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I fight my sugar addiction the same way I fight unicorns.

Are you going over your calorie goal or do you just want to limit sugar for some reason? Knowing your actual goal might help with the suggestions.

hey, of course there is a calorie matter as well, but thirst thing is my health. I do eat lots of food but it makes my feel tired and obvious it shouldnt be like that. But it looks i found the answer because of all those informative and supportive comments I got :)
  • blogasese
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hey, I am constantly loosing my fight against sugar. Choclote, dried fruits, sweets, cookies. Endless list that can't stop thinking about. How you fight sugar addiction? Is this anything to do with that that I don't eat much meat?

Sure, I'm susceptible to overeating treats if I haven't eaten enough protein. (And fat and fiber.) I look at each meal at try to roughly hit these macros: 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein.

After dinner I can have a treat and it doesn't prompt the overeating or cravings.

So, since you're eating meat, you're not a vegetarian - what's preventing you from eating more meat? (If you just don't like it, what about getting more protein from non-meat sources?)

I used to be vegetarian for a long time :) but summarising all comments looks like the actual problem of mine is not getting enough protein. Eureka!
  • blogasese
    Options
    I fight my sugar addiction the same way I fight unicorns.

Are you going over your calorie goal or do you just want to limit sugar for some reason?Knowing your actual goal might help with the suggestions.

Yes...this is an important distinction

It's also important to note that many of the items you listed (chocolate, cookies, most sweets etc) contain a lot more fat than sugar. Many people find it's the combination of the two, not one or the other that's more of an issue.
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    When you use the language of addiction you lose control and provide yourself with built in excuses

That is why terminology is important

Eating addiction is a behavioural issue where cognitive therapies can help

Food addiction however is a very much disputed term as food is not physically addictive

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0149763414002140

Hey, so I was not clear enough, I do agree and apply for my self that it more of behavioural issue. But it doesnt make it easier for me crazy sweet tooth :) Thank you for the link! I think by getting the right information and facts my mind going to set up for right direction :)
  • blogasese
    Options
    Hey, I am constantly loosing my fight against sugar. Choclote, dried fruits, sweets, cookies. Endless list that can't stop thinking about. How you fight sugar addiction? Is this anything to do with that that I don't eat much meat?

Eat 1g of protein for every pound of your lean body mass (LBM), to feed your muscle. So if your LBM is 115, eat 115g or so of protein.

You can break the sugar addiction by filling up on all that you should be eating: veggies, protein, healthy fats.

After a few days, your body will adjust, although you may still have a mental habit.

Weigh your food and log it...and stick with it.

Thank you, Love! you are completely right, I was cheating on protein all my life, but from today I sign for it, no way back :)
  • blogasese
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »

Everything you mentioned there is carbs, maybe you're addicted to carbs perhaps.

You can technically be addicted to anything.

Hey, you are 100% right! I am sugarholic but like to cheat with carbs a lot :D
  • blogasese
    Options
    For some of the actual research on the subject food/eating and addiction, please see this thread and the links therein:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226257/food-addiction-a-different-perspective/p1

As for what the OP asked, outside of personal bias?

OP, in the past when I found myself feeling like you, I just quit all sugary treats cold turkey. It was hard at first, but at that point in my life, I had already quit smoking so I knew I could white knuckle it through not eating sweets.

I did. I used artificial sweeteners in my tea and coffee, so I still had sweetness in my life, but that was about it.

I lived that way for many years, with the occasional slip and binge, but I'd get back on track and not eat any sugary food at all.

During that time, I did a lot of work on myself. It was after finally coming to grips with a lot of issues I had with food that I reintroduced not only sweets, but some salty treats I'd also given up. I'd finally come to a place where I knew deep down that food was just ... food. It wasn't there for comfort, and while it tasted good, it was okay to have a small amount today and know that I could have another small amount tomorrow.

There were lots of things that played into my issues with "treat" foods, both salty and sweet. Thinking of them as "bad" was one of them. Telling myself that I shouldn't be eating them gave them the aura of forbidden fruit. I'd gobble them guiltily.

Another issue, related to that was that I'd be restricting them because of their badness. So I'd gobble more because it was the last time I'd ever, ever have those cookies or chips.

Learning that those foods weren't "bad" and were okay to have whenever I wanted them took the allure of the forbidden away from them, and suddenly, it seemed easier to eat them in reasonable portions.

Then there was the comfort aspect. I'd be stressed, and crunching chips was satisfying. A whole pan of brownies felt like a blanket wrapped around me while they were laying in my stomach when I felt lonely or misunderstood. That was a harder nut to crack, I had to do deeper work on being able to handle tough emotions. I used some visualization techniques to help me become more comfortable with my own emotions, and eating to soothe myself didn't seem like such a good solution any more.

So, after all this rambling, here's the tldr; ... you might need to give up the sugary foods for a time, but if you feel like you don't want to give them up forever, it's possible to find a way to integrate them into your life again.

Sometimes the path is simple, it's just a matter of rebalancing your macros as has already been suggested upthread. Other times, the path is a bit more difficult. Are you currently using food as a reward? Are you eating when you're bored, or sleepy, or angry, or anxious?

You might need to dig deeper to get to the real bottom of your issue. It's not really ever about the food. The answer always lies within yourself.

Good luck.

You reminded me one of the movies that I watched recently why people eat unhealthy food, become obese and stuff. I do believe its 100% true that main problem is within myself. Its good that you reminded me that aspect. I am ready to dig deeper, where the sugar evil is actually coming from or is it myself the sugar evil :) thank you so much
  • blogasese
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Make sure you are getting enough protein from other sources since you don't eat much meat. That can help a lot with cravings. Except for fruit, you might want to try avoiding processed sugars completely for several weeks or months. This helped me quite a bit. Good luck!

I am so much ready to take a challenge and show myself that proceed sugar is nothing that I can not live without. And sure I will succeed the same as with cigarettes and alcohol. But sometimes we all have this hopeless days when nothing looks possible. Thanks to you and other people that shared good energy with me today! feel blessed by you guys to start new stage of my life!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Merrysix wrote: »
    I think a good way to approach it is what is suggested in alcoholics anonymous for alcohol -- try to control your alcohol intake for 30 days. If you can, great. If you can't maybe you should consider giving up alcohol.....letting go of it. Now just substitute "added sugars" (or whatever). Some people on this thread do fine and can control the volume of added sugar foods that they eat. Great -- so go for it. I have huge amounts of willpower -- I lift weights and run, work, have a difficult job, etc. but it is simply easier for me and I feel better if I don't eat foods w/ added sugars.

This makes sense to me. Absent the medical need for cutting sugars, trying to moderate them first makes sense. If that doesn't work, move on to plan B - restriction.
  • blogasese
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Instead of focusing on what you want to stop /reduce eating, pay attention to what foods you want to increase. Maybe eat more fats and oils, more protein, or for example, more veggies like broccoli, yellow squash, winter squash, leafy vegetables.
    Also, sometimes looking up and creating new recipes for those foods helps you eat in a way that nourishes and supports your goals.

You are so right! and the fact that makes it even easier is that I love veggies! broccoli, carrots, squash. wow I am already making recipes for tomorrow lunch. somehow cheesecake and chocolate muse doesnt make me so excited when it comes to boiled broccoli with garlic and feta :) just its easier to go to tesco and grab snickers. But I am not an easy type so I am sure that yours and others advises gave me good kick to my booty :D
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I was hoping this topic was going to be about something more up the chit chat section's alley.
    Instead it is about this
    https://youtu.be/YbseBW-AWn4
    ?