290 to 178 in 10 Months! (w/photos)

Options

Replies

• DogRiverDude
    DogRiverDude Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    rmojo13 wrote: »
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

You're very welcome Rmojo13! I'm astounded at the response! Best of luck with your own goals... looks like your there!
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    TheBigFb wrote: »
    You look so much younger, well done, that's an amazing achievement

Hey thank you TheBigFb! I just don't 'get' the looking younger part but certainly feel younger! Thanks Again!
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    gonabfit wrote: »
    That is AMAZING! congrats on the dedication and commitment it took to reach this goal! :-D

Thank you so much GonaBFit! Really though... that's all it takes; dedication/commitment. I just stuck to the plan (which might be the amazing part lol) and 10 months later... that was it... end of story. I still find it quite surprising!
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    hula83704 wrote: »
    this is a great story... at first I was going to ask... "whats mfp?" I thought it was a program that I would have to pay for to join... LOL LOL LOL!!!.... duh! im already a member! your story truly gives me inspiration... im on my first month and so far so good... remaining positive and goal driven ... I just need to religiously get here daily... thanks again for your story... aloha, kel

Thank you and Aloha Hula! Right hey? Who knew, all this good stuff for free hehe!!! I'm so glad you felt inspired and congratulations on your successful first month! Yeah... that "dedication" is key! When you're committed, HUGE things are possible. Best wishes with your own goals :smile:
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    Great Job!!

Thank you ljcreekmore! Best wishes with your own goals!
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    Such a great story. If you weren't a Riders fan, I would more supportive ;)
    Just kidding - sort of.
    In all seriousness though, amazing progress and a great attitude about it. Keep it up!

Well sort of thank you TaraTall LOL. But seriously, thank you for the ENTIRE Eskimo coaching staff OMG! Thanks, I'll try to keep up the "great attitude" but... I'm unable to keep up the progress (otherwise I'd be 60 pounds by next Christmas :wink: ). Best wishes with your own goals and kiss the Cup bu-bye in 2016 :-) Go Riders!
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    Sassy2973 wrote: »
    WOW-So awesome!!! It's amazing what one can accomplish when they put all their effort into it. Congratulations and keep up the great work! Your happiness shines through...

Thank you Sass (Sassy sounded condescending lol)! Yeah... take a couple vacations out and I was pretty strict. Eating healthy went from difficult, to acceptable, to what I now desire. Thanks again, what a difference a year makes :smiley:
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes what an awesome transformation. Congrats you worked hard!
  • cindyb0121
    cindyb0121 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What an amazing journey you have had! You look like a completely different person! Congrats to you!
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You look so much younger!
  • riedlmisty
    riedlmisty Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Amazing. Great job. Thank you for the pictures they make for great motivation.
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    You are amazing! You look so handsome and happy :-) I bet inside now as on the outside also!

Thank you for your kind words SpeedyG! The weight loss happened so rapidly I can hardly believe it... still!!! Definitely happy inside and out; like I've been handed a new life! Thanks again :blush:
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! You are such a great example of discipline and determination. You look fabulous and I'm sure you feel even better!

Blessings,
    Nikki

Thank you so much Trevnik! That's all it was... a little D&D! Being obese (oh how I dislike that word) my entire life, the feeling is inexplicable. Thanks again!!!
  • Cocomis2015
    Cocomis2015 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Your story in very inspirational. It is amazing what you have accomplished. congratulations.
  • sonya480
    sonya480 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    "This",… sharing details about my 10-month weight loss journey is NOT something I typically do, especially in a public forum! But a wonderful friend recently reminded me that sometimes I have to put myself "out there", so here I am! I'm not here to brag or boast; instead my purpose is to encourage/motivate just ONE person to do this… to jump in with both feet!

century_loss.jpg

On January 3, 2015 I weighed 290 pounds. My health was failing; blood pressure was through the roof and daily headaches were commonplace. My fitness level and quality of life sucked (for lack of a better word). At 290 pounds I struggled to do much of anything, let alone exercise! Even sleeping was uncomfortable; snoring (because of my weight) caused me to awake in the morning with awful headaches! It was time to lose weight.

Initially I thought that 250 would be a great starting goal. Hey… for the past 30 years I weighed at least 250 so it sounded like a reasonable number to me. During the first 3 months I only lost 15 pounds. Although I was trying to eat healthy, I wasn't tracking my food and was getting a little frustrated with my results.

On March 25, at 275 pounds, I joined MFP and as they say, the rest is history. When you're diligent and (a) faithfully/accurately log your food intake and (b) remain below your calorie goal, you WILL lose weight!

Over the course 7 months I ate EXTREMELY healthy grossing 1200-1400 calories / day. I exercised very little in the beginning (mostly due to lack of motivation and inability) BUT, as the pounds dropped and I saw success on the scale, I found myself exercising more frequency until it became a daily occurrence a few weeks in.

I followed NO DIET PLAN except what made sense to me! I ate mostly whole fruits and vegetables along with lean protein (typically, chicken breast, pork tenderloin, and fish). I made substitutions where possible such as Almond Milk in place of traditional milk, and eliminated virtually all processed food from my diet! I even tried to make my own Almond Milk but found it to be a huge pain in the *kitten*, and OMG… what a mess!

One of the largest factors for me was cooking large quantities of food on the weekend. By having wholesome, hearty food available in the fridge during my busy work week, I had NO EXCUSE but to eat healthy. I also kept fresh (and frozen) fruit on hand for a quick snack. It's surprising how great fruit tastes after a couple months of avoiding junk food!

I never believed in "cheat days" however I did take two vacations over the 10-month period that set me back a little bit. That said, I was able to get back on track immediately which helped immensely.

Goals? As the pounds disappeared I kept lowering my goal… 250, 225, 210, 200, 190, 185, and finally 180… After 10 months I dropped below my ultimate goal and nobody was more surprised than me! 112 pounds in 10 months with a waist reduction of 46" to 30"… I didn't even think that was possible! I've been fluctuating between 178-182 for the past 6 weeks and I'm satisfied with my current weight. I began weight training when I hit my ultimate goal in hopes that I could tone up, if just a little. I'll never be that "ripped 20-year old" BUT, I'm happy with my progress so far! Blood pressure is normal, I'm sleeping great and have no health issues whatsoever. I even passed a comprehensive Life Insurance medical with flying colors last month!

MFP Friends? Look for friends with a positive attitude that have similar goals to you and are serious & dedicated about losing weight (or maintaining as the case may be). Share (healthy) recipes, stories of diet, fitness and exercise, what works for you and, what doesn't work for you. Work with your friends… inspire and motivate each other. You really don't need hundreds of random acquaintances. A small number of close friends has served me well during my weight loss process and we continue to inspire and motivate each other to remain fit.

It's important however to remember WHY you're losing (or maintaining) weight… for YOURSELF! MFP friends will come and go. Maybe, if you're lucky, one may even play an integral role in your success but… NO MFP friend can prevent you from making poor eating choices. The occasional treat is fine but, if you're getting close to your daily calorie goal, please stop for a second and reconsider that "caramel/cheese popcorn" before eating it! The decision to eat healthy is ultimately yours and ONLY yours. If you think about yourself first, you don't have to look… happiness and success will find you!

I wish nothing but the very best to everyone and your weight loss journey. Any goal IS achievable, you just gotta believe and jump in with both feet! Weight loss is NOT hard work BUT does require dedication and devotion. If just one person finds this inspirational, my only hope is that it's "YOU"!

D.

Great job.....
  • chargerschik
    chargerschik Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! Congratulations on your success. Your words were elegantly written and inspiring. :#
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    Congrats!! So very happy for you!! I fully
    understand what it's like to undertake a big weight loss journey, as I have lost 275 pounds myself (410 lbs. to 135 lbs.) and now use MFP to help maintain my loss! Best wishes!!

Thank you BB! What an amazing story you have to tell (I read your own forum post). To be 1/3 your former self is an incredible accomplishment. Best wishes to you and "Cheers!" to maintenance!
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    What a fantastic loss! Congrats!

Thank you very much EGC! Looks like you're 2/3's of the way there yourself! What an incredible accomplishment... best wishes achieving your goal in 2016!!
  • ckhardeman
    ckhardeman Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! Great job
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    L4gym wrote: »
    Hot

Hmm L4gym. I have a space heater running in my office. I'd say... "cozy" :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!