290 to 178 in 10 Months! (w/photos)

Options

Replies

• lilypie76
    lilypie76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Phenomenal lifestyle change. Look at what YOU did!! So happy for you, your girls must be so proud of their Dad. Keep it up, knowing that everyday, through exercise and healthy eating, you are making an investment in yourself. What an amazing accomplishment.
  • Jlefevre5
    Jlefevre5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome story. May I ask you for your age without being rude? Very inspirational for us men "of a certain age" who don't have the furnace blazing metabolism of young guys!
  • DogRiverDude
    DogRiverDude Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    p444cod41 wrote: »
    You look amazing!!

Thank you! I feel great. Congratulations BTW on your own success --> very close to goal! I bet your fam is proud of you!!!

• lm416448
    lm416448 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    "This",… sharing details about my 10-month weight loss journey is NOT something I typically do, especially in a public forum! But a wonderful friend recently reminded me that sometimes I have to put myself "out there", so here I am! I'm not here to brag or boast; instead my purpose is to encourage/motivate just ONE person to do this… to jump in with both feet!
    Thankyou so much for sharing your story! Ive only decided to get healthier and lose weight for about a weeek now. Ive stayed under my 1200 calorie goal and ive been walking everyday but no weight loss yet. I was disappointed but reading this gave me hope! Thanks
    century_loss.jpg

On January 3, 2015 I weighed 290 pounds. My health was failing; blood pressure was through the roof and daily headaches were commonplace. My fitness level and quality of life sucked (for lack of a better word). At 290 pounds I struggled to do much of anything, let alone exercise! Even sleeping was uncomfortable; snoring (because of my weight) caused me to awake in the morning with awful headaches! It was time to lose weight.

Initially I thought that 250 would be a great starting goal. Hey… for the past 30 years I weighed at least 250 so it sounded like a reasonable number to me. During the first 3 months I only lost 15 pounds. Although I was trying to eat healthy, I wasn't tracking my food and was getting a little frustrated with my results.

On March 25, at 275 pounds, I joined MFP and as they say, the rest is history. When you're diligent and (a) faithfully/accurately log your food intake and (b) remain below your calorie goal, you WILL lose weight!

Over the course 7 months I ate EXTREMELY healthy grossing 1200-1400 calories / day. I exercised very little in the beginning (mostly due to lack of motivation and inability) BUT, as the pounds dropped and I saw success on the scale, I found myself exercising more frequency until it became a daily occurrence a few weeks in.

I followed NO DIET PLAN except what made sense to me! I ate mostly whole fruits and vegetables along with lean protein (typically, chicken breast, pork tenderloin, and fish). I made substitutions where possible such as Almond Milk in place of traditional milk, and eliminated virtually all processed food from my diet! I even tried to make my own Almond Milk but found it to be a huge pain in the *kitten*, and OMG… what a mess!

One of the largest factors for me was cooking large quantities of food on the weekend. By having wholesome, hearty food available in the fridge during my busy work week, I had NO EXCUSE but to eat healthy. I also kept fresh (and frozen) fruit on hand for a quick snack. It's surprising how great fruit tastes after a couple months of avoiding junk food!

I never believed in "cheat days" however I did take two vacations over the 10-month period that set me back a little bit. That said, I was able to get back on track immediately which helped immensely.

Goals? As the pounds disappeared I kept lowering my goal… 250, 225, 210, 200, 190, 185, and finally 180… After 10 months I dropped below my ultimate goal and nobody was more surprised than me! 112 pounds in 10 months with a waist reduction of 46" to 30"… I didn't even think that was possible! I've been fluctuating between 178-182 for the past 6 weeks and I'm satisfied with my current weight. I began weight training when I hit my ultimate goal in hopes that I could tone up, if just a little. I'll never be that "ripped 20-year old" BUT, I'm happy with my progress so far! Blood pressure is normal, I'm sleeping great and have no health issues whatsoever. I even passed a comprehensive Life Insurance medical with flying colors last month!

MFP Friends? Look for friends with a positive attitude that have similar goals to you and are serious & dedicated about losing weight (or maintaining as the case may be). Share (healthy) recipes, stories of diet, fitness and exercise, what works for you and, what doesn't work for you. Work with your friends… inspire and motivate each other. You really don't need hundreds of random acquaintances. A small number of close friends has served me well during my weight loss process and we continue to inspire and motivate each other to remain fit.

It's important however to remember WHY you're losing (or maintaining) weight… for YOURSELF! MFP friends will come and go. Maybe, if you're lucky, one may even play an integral role in your success but… NO MFP friend can prevent you from making poor eating choices. The occasional treat is fine but, if you're getting close to your daily calorie goal, please stop for a second and reconsider that "caramel/cheese popcorn" before eating it! The decision to eat healthy is ultimately yours and ONLY yours. If you think about yourself first, you don't have to look… happiness and success will find you!

I wish nothing but the very best to everyone and your weight loss journey. Any goal IS achievable, you just gotta believe and jump in with both feet! Weight loss is NOT hard work BUT does require dedication and devotion. If just one person finds this inspirational, my only hope is that it's "YOU"!

D.

• DogRiverDude
    Options
    Cal_25 wrote: »
    Thank you! This is awesome! You look great! And it is motivating to me to see others succeed! :smiley:

You're so welcome and thank YOU! Best wishes with your own journey back to Sophomore weight. Being a former athlete I have no doubt that you'll succeed!!!
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    best post ever

Uh-uhhhh... best COMMENT ever hehe. Thanks CJ :blush:
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    tee1922 wrote: »
    Great job!
    tee1922 wrote: »
    Great job!

Thank you Tee!
    Really!!! Thank you!!! :smile:
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    cranium853 wrote: »
    Excellent effort! It's a reminder that diligence pays off. And you look great!

Hey thanks Cranium (scary nick hehe!). Yeah for sure... log everything carefully, always be mindful of your goal, and everything will just WORK!
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    Veryana wrote: »
    You look amazing! Well done! :smiley: I want to ask something. Is or was there any problems with losing weight so fast? Like nausea for long times or loose skin? I've been thinking should I eat 1200-1400 calories as well or should I keep it the current 1620 calories :smile:

Thanks Veryana! I was very careful with nutrients AND made sure I had "ample" net calories each day. I ate large quantities of low calorie dense, nutritious food, therefore I was never (ever!) tired or nauseas. I had some loose skin on my neck that has mysteriously tightened, loose on the tummy that's getting better each month and is barely noticeable now, and loose under the pits (ick, sorry) but is tightening now with weight training and building muscle.

I really shouldn't be recommending caloric intakes for others but netting 1200-1400 (of healthy nutritious food) should work well for anybody... at least for the first while. Best wishes with your goal!
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Fantastic achievement

You look so alive and well
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    Amazing! You're story was very inspirational. I used to weigh 290lbs but then with MFP got to around 218 lbs. My dad was paralyzed in an Accident and I take care of him. I go through alot of stress and unfortunately have regained alot of weight and am now at 268. I have a newfound dedication and its my goal to get around 170-190. I have a problem with fast food and junk food. Its my vice and I eat it as a comfort. I'm trying to find ways to ditch the bad foods and eat a healthier whole food diet. Also my BP is high and I need to bring that down. I did when I lost alot of weight so I know I can bring it down again. Any advice on how I can kick my fast food and junk food addictions? Keep up the great work!

Hey thanks John! Yeah, gee sorry, your dad's accident must have been an awfully stressful situation for you! I suppose the positive going into Round 2 of weight loss is that you're not starting at 290! High Blood Pressure, Fast Food, Junk Food... check-check-check! I was fortunate too that my BP dropped from "Intensive Care Status" to the high side of normal. That's something you really have to reel in John (yet I'm the biggest hypocrite for saying that).

As far as Fast Food and Junk Food goes; there are two options: (1) Moderation or (2) Elimination. Some people are able to eat junk food in moderation... usually it's THIN people LOL! Personally, I have trouble with moderation, hence... 290 pounds! Therefore I eliminated it altogether for (virtually) the entire 10 months. To this day, I've only had fast food twice (limited quantities) and only occasionally eat small amounts of junk food. After 10 months the craving go away and I no longer have that "binge" feeling. The first 3 months were hard! I tried making substitutes like Zuchini chips, Kale Chips, Air popped popcorn, Walnut/Date Brownie and those seemed to Curb my cravings.

These unhealthy temptations will always be around us... as "big people" we just have to learn how to resist! My very best wishes with your goal, and dad!
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    sexybug6 wrote: »
    Amazing story well done

Thank you SB6! I'm surprised there was a SexyBug5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 :smiley: I don't find anything sexy about a bugs hehe.
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    Wow DogRiverDude! What a great job! I could use some of your motivation.

Thank you Indygirl! Outside encouragement plays a motivational factor for sure but try and want the weight loss for yourself. Then, attack your goal one day at a time!
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    Devol82 wrote: »
    You look amazing and so much happier!! Congrats!!

Thank you Devol! Yes, SO much happier... like a weight has been lifted off me... hehe!
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    That is a great achievement, You look fantastic!! Thanks so much for sharing. You are such an inspiration.

Hey thanks AC64! It's a pleasure to share, especially now considering all the wonderful posts! I'm so glad you found my story inspiring and I'd like you wish you nothing but success with your goals in 2016!
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    AuntSusie7 wrote: »
    What an inspiration! Thanks! I did well all week, but cheated yesterday. That set me back. No more cheats. Slow and steady....

You look great. What a blessing for your girls. Congrats.

Thank you AuntSusie (feels weird calling someone "aunt" that isn't my aunt lol). I didn't have cheat days but my 2 one-week vacations set me back a total of one month! I had one of my vacations early on and quickly realized that (for me) cheating, especially while at home, wasn't going to work for me! My very best wishes to your own weight loss journey!

• eomidwife
    eomidwife Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Seriously! You look 20 years younger:) Congrats. Did you do anything to support/supplement your body regarding the potential for loose skin? I'm not motivated to exercise yet. I believe that will come with successes. I'm 100% committed, will reach my goal but I'm really concerned about that.
  • KoshVorlon
    KoshVorlon Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You sir, are my new hero! I have the same goal (180) from a high of 290. Presently at 269...after 105 days...you have provided some solid guidance for me. I keep looking at your before and after pictures. Awesome and amazing. Thanks for the inspiration and advice...will you have trouble maintaining?
  • DogRiverDude
    Options
    deniseteas wrote: »
    what an amazing job...I went from 265 to 190 in around the same time frame but was so ashamed of myself at the time I didn't do photos wish I had of! Im in my second phase now down to 173 aiming for 130..... keep up the good work you look amazing...thanks for sharing your success

Thank you DT. Wow, you have your own incredible story to tell! I SO understand about having no photos from "larger times". SAME here! Looking back I wish I had have too! That's great advise for anybody starting out! It was my pleasure sharing my story... I'll be looking for your story in the "Success Stories" forum later this year!!!

• DogRiverDude
    Options
    cruisers64 wrote: »
    Congrats to you!! You are very inspirational. Im on my journey to a 100lbs weight loss too, hopefully I can devote the same dedication as you. What a powerful journey you took!!!

Thanks Cruisers64! Hey, it's possible, more than possible!!! If it feels difficult at first it's because you're just breaking bad eating habits, that's all. It takes a while but it gets better. I no longer crave the unhealthy food I once did but I still like to eat! I just eat healthy that's all! Best wishes with your weight loss! Fight to be fit man!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!