Salad.. great. Dressing.. AWFUL?

Options

Replies

• nonoark
    nonoark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    After a long debate and eating mostly salads to jumpstart myself into the whole diet thing, I made a mistake one night and fell in love. I worked a double and during the second part of work sat down hungry and ready to tear into my salad only to find that I forgot my dressing. The only thing that looked like it may work was mayo, not a chance! So off to a DRY salad. Like you I love adding some meat and cheese. I love fresh home made turkey, but with mine I love putting in some almond slivers and cranberries. The cranberries have enough zing, sweetness and moisture on their own that I found I didn't need the dressing. That was the start of omitting dressing. Good luck!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    After a long debate and eating mostly salads to jumpstart myself into the whole diet thing, I made a mistake one night and fell in love. I worked a double and during the second part of work sat down hungry and ready to tear into my salad only to find that I forgot my dressing. The only thing that looked like it may work was mayo, not a chance! So off to a DRY salad. Like you I love adding some meat and cheese. I love fresh home made turkey, but with mine I love putting in some almond slivers and cranberries. The cranberries have enough zing, sweetness and moisture on their own that I found I didn't need the dressing. That was the start of omitting dressing. Good luck!
    It is probably a small enough amount that it is fine, but if you find that cranberries add sweetness, you re probably using sweetened cranberries (like Craisins or similar).
    http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/dried-cranberries-(sweetened)
    Unsweetened cranberries still have that zing, but they are anything but sweet.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I love to eat salads - low calorie, lots of essential vitamins and nutrients. I spice mine up with a little meat and cheese so as to try to keep it a balanced meal. Then I get to the dressing.. and I wince every time. Is salad dressing a huge blow to my meal? Most of the content is fat, even if the calorie content is not THAT detrimental. Can someone who knows more about nutrition than I help me?
    Hi:) I used to love salad dressing, but at some point in life, it made me queasy and I wouldn't use it; the bottled stuff, anyway. I now use red wine vinegar; just a splash because it can be strong. I also found a nice mellow dressing recipe if you are so inclined:
    Tsp of extra virgin olive oil
    Tsp or 2 of white wine vinegar
    juice of a lemon
    salt and pepper

You can vary of course:) I found it to be quite nice; I even marinated some chicken in it. Hope you have a great day:)
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    There are some amazing infused balsamic vinegars and olive oils out there. Cranberry lime. Blood orange. Espresso. Black Cherry. Pomegranate. Limited only by your imagination (and budget).

Olive oil bars are getting popular. It sounds entirely strange to go sip on olive oils but its really good. And a few drops is all the flavor you need for your salad.
  • pearlmorning
    pearlmorning Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Funny, I just posted this to another topic too. I use a T. of no-fat plain yogurt and a healthy sprinkle of Spike Gourmet Natural Seasoning.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    i use balsamic vinegar or just squeeze fresh lemon over mine.. or eat them sans dressing.

Also you can make your own with a greek yogurt base if you really want the dressing. Lots of recipes out there.
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/dressings.html

Walden Farms dressings taste great...I have tried a few different ones.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Try Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressing ( the caeser parmegianno is awesome) It is natural and made with yogurt, tastes great and no funky aftertaste!

Wonderful stuff here! I think I am addicted to it. In fact I am going for some baby carrots and Caesar right NOW! I like every flavor I have tries but the Caesar totally rocks!

productNFP_dressings_0000_Yogurt---Ceasar-Parmigiano_png_4e99592f-05e4-475d-908c-24e74d97106e.png
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

Different strokes for different folks. I tried two flavors of Walden Farms and binned them both immediately. Never came close the the fridge. Vile imo.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options

Different strokes for different folks. I tried two flavors of Walden Farms and binned them both immediately. Never came close the the fridge. Vile imo.

Agreed. There is no real food in them. Its straight chemicals. gross.
  • mluxo91
    mluxo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback! I'll have to give some of these recipes a try. I didn't know that some of that fat I dreaded was needed to process nutrients. Also, the fork tine method sounds like it might be my new go-to so portion control is not so tempting! =P
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    To respond to the comments about Walden Farms...Raspberry Vinaigrette contains:

Triple Filtered Purified Water
    Apple Cider Vinegar
    White Vinegar
    Salt
    Natural Flavors
    Garlic Powder
    Onion Powder
    Lemon Juice
    Xanthan Gum (thickener made from vegetables)
    Cellulose Gel
    Splenda
    Sodium Benzoate (to preserve freshness)

I personally wouldn't say it is loaded with chemicals. What were you reading?
  • AnsiStar
    AnsiStar Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I tend to use a bit of houmous or cottage cheese as a sort of dressing when I make salads to take to work :) I just dump it on and mix everything with it so it sticks :)
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I love Caesar dressing on my salads. I don't even care if it's not a Caesar salad--cobb, chef, greek, everything gets Caesar. Honey badger don't care! Honey badger don't give a... *ahem*
    Anyway, there's nothing wrong with a little fat and some extra calories, as long as you're keeping it in check. ... As long as the caesar isn't sweet. Sick!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    A measured teaspoon of olive oil or walnut oil is enough to make 2-3 cups of greens taste good to me. That's about 40 calories, which is not awful. Then I add vinegar or lemon juice.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that link - tons of great recipes in there and I LOVE blue cheese. I appreciate it!
  • foot1647
    foot1647 Posts: 92
    Options
    I like a little raw garlic, red and black pepper, olive oil and sesame oil on my salads.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    To respond to the comments about Walden Farms...Raspberry Vinaigrette contains:

Triple Filtered Purified Water
    Apple Cider Vinegar
    White Vinegar
    Salt
    Natural Flavors
    Garlic Powder
    Onion Powder
    Lemon Juice
    Xanthan Gum (thickener made from vegetables)
    Cellulose Gel
    Splenda
    Sodium Benzoate (to preserve freshness)

I personally wouldn't say it is loaded with chemicals. What were you reading?
    I went to their web site and could only find a vague description that indicated they used natural ingredients, but I could find no specific ingredients. I would expect raspberry vinaigrette to be fine; it's standard recipe has almost no calories. The one I was asking about in particular was creamy bacon.
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I can't stand pre-made salad dressings. They're usually too sour or sweet for me.

There's this olive oil and balsamic vinegar store where I live, where you can try them before you buy a bottle. I love this place so much. The basic aged balsamic vinegar is AMAZING. My sister bought me a teensy bottle of lavender balsamic vinegar a couple of weeks ago, and I've been using it on everything, including the huge salads I make for lunch.

To dress my lunch salads, i splash some olive oil and balsamic vinegar I get from that store, and sprinkle some salt and pepper. The olive oil and balsamic vinegar are of such high quality (and affordable!) that I don't need much else!