Man Muscles?

Options
Can anyone give me advice on strength training exercises that will keep me looking feminine? I am trying to avoid developing bulky "man muscles."

Replies

• Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    As long as you lay off the HGH and steroids it should be ok.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    you lack testosterone, so you go on and lift those weights and will not turn into He-Man.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The heavier I lift the skinnier I look. It isn't easy to build muscle especially on a deficit. I've tried.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Agree.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Depends you mean by "man muscles".

Lowering body fat to reveal the muscle you already have? Don't go below 20%, or whatever you choose.

Making the muscles you have significantly larger? Don't take steriods.

Read this - http://www.leighpeele.com/bulky-muscles-and-training-females-the-definition

Generally, you won't be able to accidentally get man muscles, just like you won't accidentally be a millionaire by getting a job. It takes specific sustained effort.
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Lift all the weights you want! Women with muscles are very, very sexy. And unless you take some sort of illegal steroids or hormones you won't end up looking like a man. The best way to look lean and feminine IS to build up some muscle. A hard-body is much sexier than those cardiobunnies who spend all year on the elliptical and always look the same.
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options

^^pretty much
    It is extremely hard for women to develop "bulky man muscles". You can do any and all strength training you want and you will be fine. Look up New Rules Of Lifting For Women, I hear it is a great place to research. I see thousands of women on here that are lifting fanatics and are still very feminine.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Just don't do a sex change when you are lifting. Should be golden.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    If you find a way of building muscle easily, please let me know. I've been doing it for years, eating more calories, lifing more weights etc than you could shake a stick at and its still slow going.

Quick answer - you won't. You'll see you are building muscle long before its too much for you. They don't suddenly go TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA over night. Years and years literally and then its slow going.
  • nwaguespack
    Options
    As far as advice, lifting is just going to make you toned ... women are not built to "bulk" agree on the lack of T and stay away from the HGH and Roids, lift and lift often bc you have nothing to worry about would be my advice.
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You will not get Man muscles by lifting unless you're juicing yourself up with steroids, so if you avoid that, I'm sure you'll just get nice and toned. I can't wait till one day that damn myth of women getting bulky from lifting goes away!!!!
    Good luck to you and may I suggest you do some research on weight lifting for ladies?

What would be so terrible about having some visible muscles anyways? Looks pretty impressive on women! Signs of hard work!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Depends you mean by "man muscles".

Lowering body fat to reveal the muscle you already have? Don't go below 20%, or whatever you choose.

Making the muscles you have significantly larger? Don't take steriods.

Read this - http://www.leighpeele.com/bulky-muscles-and-training-females-the-definition

Generally, you won't be able to accidentally get man muscles, just like you won't accidentally be a millionaire by getting a job. It takes specific sustained effort.

eh, I don't know about not going under 20%. It all depends on what an individual is going for. I was roughly 15% here and not manly looking.

553498_311976438898061_1018265595_n.jpg
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    In for eventual gifs.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    No strength training will give you man muscles so the world's your oyster! I like stronglifts 5x5 to start.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Unless you're one of those people who define any visible muscle definition as 'bulky' it's just not going to happen.

For a man building large muscles requires a lot of time, a lot of dedication and lots of food. And as others have pointed out they have higher testosterone on their side which helps. Women generally speaking can't build as much muscle and build what they can more slowly. You're not going to wake up on day suddenly she-hulk. Do normal strength training. If you ever start getting bigger than you like you can stop or alter your program. But you probably will like the results.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    All of them will keep you looking feminine. They'll just help you look fit as well.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    eh, I don't know about not going under 20%. It all depends on what an individual is going for. I was roughly 15% here and not manly looking.

I'm not advocating that particular number - I am advocating that OP educates herself picks her own number. I'll edit it to be more clear.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Can anyone give me advice on strength training exercises that will keep me looking feminine? I am trying to avoid developing bulky "man muscles."

Just lift...it's really ****ing hard to build "man muscles"...even for men...really ****in' hard. It takes serious dedication to the weight room and strict adherence to diet and eating at a surplus of calories over your maintenance. If it was easy, ever guy on the planet would be yolked...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    h8BD74143
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Just train hard and don't juice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition