Man Muscles?

Options

Replies

• Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You will not develop a penis with lifting, no

thats the only 'man muscles' that come to mind

You don't have enough testosterone so will never have the same muscle development.
  • Joydriven
    Joydriven Posts: 46
    Options

Read this - http://www.leighpeele.com/bulky-muscles-and-training-females-the-definition

Generally, you won't be able to accidentally get man muscles, just like you won't accidentally be a millionaire by getting a job. It takes specific sustained effort.

Thank you for this! So many posts like this one lately have made my head swim in confusion:

I do get bulky when I've lifted in the past.
    People have stated, no, you can't get bulky, then proceed to post a pic of someone's who bulky as evidence of non bulkiness.
    In Contreras' Strong Curves he gives the example of two women, same program. One "bulked" up quickly and with great success, the other slower and never to the same level of "bulk". Some women add muscle quicker than others.

It's the idea of what's bulky that's being misunderstood.

That article did a great job pointing that everyone's idea of bulky is different and they're all right.

• crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I would say just train to be toned and not ripped... women are meant to be curvy and naturally have more body fat than men. as stated above keep your body fat level at a healthy level.. between 20-30 only marathon runners and anorexics have single digit bfi.. good luck Jim

20-30%? Are you serious? Women are meant to be any way they want to be: curvy, slender, muscular. There's no "rule" as to how a woman should look and 20-30% BODY FAT is not healthy. I would also be hard pressed to find a marathoner who has single digit body fat. It's just not going to happen.

Actually, 20-30% is considered healthy, or at least acceptable, for women.

Essential Fat 10-12%
    Athletes 14-20%
    Fitness 21-24%
    Overweight 25-31%
    Obese 32% plus

Fixed it for you.
    So there's nothing between being fit and being overweight?

So there's nothing between being average and being obese?
    touché :laugh:

But those are the breakdowns given by the American Council for Exercise.

I don't think they named the last couple correctly and should have an extra breakdown so that it lists: essential, athlete, fit, average/healthy, overweight, obese.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I would say just train to be toned and not ripped... women are meant to be curvy and naturally have more body fat than men. as stated above keep your body fat level at a healthy level.. between 20-30 only marathon runners and anorexics have single digit bfi.. good luck Jim

All of the things I want to say will get me banned from the forums for sure.

Agreed!! There is so much fail in this post I'm speechless.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

20-30%? Are you serious? Women are meant to be any way they want to be: curvy, slender, muscular. There's no "rule" as to how a woman should look and 20-30% BODY FAT is not healthy. I would also be hard pressed to find a marathoner who has single digit body fat. It's just not going to happen.

Essential Fat 10-12%
    Athletes 14-20%
    Fitness 21-24%
    Overweight 25-31%
    Obese 32% plus

Fixed it for you.

touché :laugh:

But those are the breakdowns given by the American Council for Exercise.

I don't think they named the last couple correctly and should have an extra breakdown so that it lists: essential, athlete, fit, average/healthy, overweight, obese.

I agree, it's a bit semantical (don't know if that's a proper word) and I agree that the breakdowns need some extras in there. :drinker:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Essential Fat 10-12%
    Athletes 14-20%
    Fitness 21-24%
    Overweight 25-31%
    Obese 32% plus

Fixed it for you.

Didn't fix it for me. I didn't make it up. :indifferent:
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    358853_BlackFemaleBodybuildersReneeToney-1_jpga29e75eb7a7ebef9c92fe02ea0420ab5

Yeah, she did squats, deadlifts and bench press for only a month and ended up looking like this.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    My favorite comment on this topic (from another post) is that it's like being afraid you'll go out jogging one day and run a marathon by mistake.

But then there was a thread a few days ago about a woman who ran 13 miles by accident, so. . . carry on.

Huh? I missed that one :laugh:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Essential Fat 10-12%
    Athletes 14-20%
    Fitness 21-24%
    Overweight 25-31%
    Obese 32% plus

Fixed it for you.

The average American is overweight. Same thing.:laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm going to disagree with most on this board and I'm sure get slammed for it.

I recently ran into a female friend who started lifting heavy last year. Her thighs were huge. I mean seriously man-sized huge. When I first saw her from afar I thought she'd gotten fat, but when she got close (in shorts) she had these huge muscles bulging out from her outer thighs. Those were bulky thighs.

I'm sure she's very proud of them, and rightly so. But they were still bulky.

Haha, there's always one.

In, in hopes of shenanigans

Her thighs were bigger around than mine were at my heaviest, and thighs are my problem area. I will admit that I have not seen legs that bulky or big on any other women who were not fat, but to say it can't or won't happen without steroids is simply not true.

Of course, it's also easy enough to scale back if you see them starting to get too big. As I said, I'm sure she likes them and is proud of her accomplishments. And I'm happy for her. But it's not something I'd want for myself.

I'm calling SHENANIGHANS!!!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

http://www.leighpeele.com/bulky-muscles-and-training-females-the-definition

....snip for brevity....

I think this is the problem with a lot of the arguments about lifting or not.

IMO, the blogger's definition of bulky is way off. To me (and a lot of people here) the women she has classified as bulky are decidedly not. They are fit and look strong. They have the body I am working towards.

But, I guess there are a lot more women who think the opposite (which is sad, IMO). And they are aiming for picture #2, I guess.

Still, the results pictured in the first group of photos are difficult to achieve and require a lot of time and effort. That doesn't happen accidently or overnight.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    358853_BlackFemaleBodybuildersReneeToney-1_jpga29e75eb7a7ebef9c92fe02ea0420ab5

Yeah, she did squats, deadlifts and bench press for only a month and ended up looking like this.
    She became a 403 Forbidden error? Wow I didn't know lifting could turn women into HTTP.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    The heavier I lift the skinnier I look. It isn't easy to build muscle especially on a deficit. I've tried.
    This ^^^
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    <---- this is what heavy lifting did to bulk up my legs. I use these legs to do squats and deadlifts, and then leg press, leg curls, kickbacks, lunges, etc.

After 7 months of lifting really heavy stuff, I am an epic failure at bulking. They just got harder and the cellulite started to go away.

Alas, this has been my problem too. My legs just get harder, the fat drops off and the cellulite goes away. I haven't noticed any man muscles yet, but I am eagerly anticipating my penis.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    checked out that bulky women link... and was thrilled to learn that...

I AM BULKY!

WAHOO!

16124725_8298.jpg
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

http://www.leighpeele.com/bulky-muscles-and-training-females-the-definition

....snip for brevity....

I think this is the problem with a lot of the arguments about lifting or not.

IMO, the blogger's definition of bulky is way off. To me (and a lot of people here) the women she has classified as bulky are decidedly not. They are fit and look strong. They have the body I am working towards.

But, I guess there are a lot more women who think the opposite (which is sad, IMO). And they are aiming for picture #2, I guess.

Still, the results pictured in the first group of photos are difficult to achieve and require a lot of time and effort. That doesn't happen accidently or overnight.

That whole blog made me sad.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    checked out that bulky women link... and was thrilled to learn that...

I AM BULKY!

WAHOO!

16124725_8298.jpg
    Yep this ^^^^ is what I am working towards! :) NICE BULK! ;)
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Telling women their muscles are manly.

tumblr_inline_mh5lu2Aih61r1as7n.gif

Body shaming for the win.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Telling women muscles are manly implies that fitness and strength are traits only appreciable, acceptable and attractive in men. It makes you a misogynistic little turd, and I don't like you.

(not who I'm quoting, tacking onto her post :D )
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Telling women muscles are manly implies that fitness and strength are traits only appreciable, acceptable and attractive in men. It makes you a misogynistic little turd, and I don't like you.

(not who I'm quoting, tacking onto her post :D )

Thank you