1/7 – 5.32 Mi
    1/10 – 3.49 Mi
    1/11 – 6.87 Mi

Progress toward Goal 23.79 / 75
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Ohhim - Thanks for sharing the race report. I was actually interested to hear more about that. Once again I have to say I truly can not fathom how you ran at that effort and then still made it all the way at the effort/pace you did. I know the race did not turn out like you hoped and it may seem like some sort of failure in some small respects (more wins though). But that is an incredible effort and your fitness must be through the freaking roof to have not only done that, but survived. Hats off to you!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim - Thanks for sharing your Disney Marathon race report. I was hoping to get to a 3:25 this year (just turned 44 and need that for a BQ). But my fitness is not quite there yet, and I also has a warm day for my qualifying race last month at RCM with a 3:37:59. I thought about trying again at the Kentucky Derby Marathon in late April but decided to just train this year and try again next December for 2018 Boston.
  • Stoshew71
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for January

1/1 4 miles - 4
    1/2 13.5 miles - 17.5
    1/3 REST DAY
    1/4 10 miles - 27.5
    1/5 9 miles - 36.5
    1/6 5.5 miles - 42
    1/7 10 miles - 52
    1/8 6.05 miles - 58.05
    1/9 15 miles - 73.05
    1/10 REST DAY
    1/11 9.5 miles - 82.55

exercise.png

20 Degrees at the start of my run. Had a few layers on, so i was nice and toasty.

• MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...............TOTAL
    1/1....................REST...................0.00
    1/2.....................16.00.................16.00
    1/3.......................5.00.................21.00
    1/4.....................REST................21.00
    1/5.......................7.00.................28.00
    1/6.......................5.00.................33.00
    1/7.......................7.00.................40.00
    1/8...................WEIGHTS...........40.00
    1/9......................16.50................56.50
    1/10......................5.00................61.50
    1/11....................REST...............61.50

exercise.png

exercise.png

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim Great race report! You ran a great race to PR by 15 minutes in those kinds of conditions! Hopefully you're putting your feet up and taking a bit of a break this week :)
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning - Yes! That flow chart is perfect!
    @runner_girl83 - I run with just the twisted, sick, ear wormy music in my head...it could end up anything! This morning on the treadmill it was "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer". Congrats on the PR!
    @JohnLang2013 - Good luck!
    @skippygirlsmom - They have country music in Jersey? CONGRATS TO SKIP! Two PRs and that is an amazing 1600 time!
    @Virkati and @Elise4270 - I'm in for buying shirts for @Stoshew71 and @skippygirlsmom
    @_nikkiwolf_ - Ain't nobody here gonna discourage your shoe addiction.
    @5BeautifulDays - yep...glasses fogging are an issue in this weather for sure...especially wearing a balaclava.
    @kateparry84 - Congrats on the distance PR!
    @kristinegift - 60° in January?!?! Single digits here in Iowa...for the high!
    @lporter229 - Yay for back to running!
    @7lenny7 - You are awesome...and nuts!

Anyone ever use / run with ice cleats over your shoes? Thinking about getting some, but wondering if it is worth it.

• Stoshew71
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »

Anyone ever use / run with ice cleats over your shoes? Thinking about getting some, but wondering if it is worth it.

I thought about making screw shoes. I haven't had the need since I live in the south and rarely gets to those conditions where I require it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us82woC7RMM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcaR6yfzdQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBOEko4l4E4

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

I haven't used them yet. I do have yak trax for the few weeks a year we'll have ice.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have not yet fallen in love with running to the point I screwed my shoes.

Yet.

I thought about it for a couple days over the last couple weeks though. So the temptation is there. I'm just worried if I would like the shoes the same afterwards. You know, in the summer when I take the screws out. Would the shoes still be the same?
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim excellent reporting and a huge congrats on your marathon and pace. I cannot imaging running a marathon, let alone having his kind of pace! Awesome!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I thought about it for a couple days over the last couple weeks though. So the temptation is there. I'm just worried if I would like the shoes the same afterwards. You know, in the summer when I take the screws out. Would the shoes still be the same?

I haven't screwed my shoes and up to this point, have not felt the need. If I were to screw my shoes, however, I would use an older pair and leave the screws in. That pair would then be dedicated for use in conditions that warranted a good screwing. I would not try to unscrew the shoe.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @runner_girl83 - I run with just the twisted, sick, ear wormy music in my head...it could end up anything! This morning on the treadmill it was "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer". Congrats on the PR!
    @kristinegift - 60° in January?!?! Single digits here in Iowa...for the high!

@karllundy Haha, OBOSOB is such an ear worm! I heard it on True Detective S1 and had to download it. Not my ideal running ear worm, however!

And yeah. 60 degrees yesterday was a treat. Back down below freezing for my morning run today though. Not envious of the single digits my family's seeing at home in eastern Iowa!

My dad and I used Yak Trax when we did winter training in 2009. I remember vividly one run that we did that we had to go over 2 miles of unplowed bike trail, and the Trax came in handy then, but obviously running on ice and packed snow, you still have to slow down and be cautious. I haven't ever used them again though, because I'm too weak to pull them over my shoes myself. If it's TOO icy, I just hit the 'mill, because I'm a baby.
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim awesome report of the race, thank you so much for all the details and great job!
    @7lenny7 there was a lady out walking her dog this am and I swear she did the same thing. Her jacket was black with black hood and fur and her face, entirely black as well too funny. We had similar weather here this am, not really cold but hella winds!

1/01 - 4.7 walk/run treadmill
    1/02 - rest, did a half hour x-country ski
    1/03 - 4.5 walk/run treadmill
    1/04 - rest
    1/05 - 3.7+ (I shut off the treadmill during the run..oops)11 min steady run
    1/06 - rest
    1/07 - 4.4 ran all the run bits, first time. did two 10 min runs. felt awesome.
    1/08 - rest, went for a ski, beautiful sunny winter weather!
    1/09 - 4.5 ran all the run bits AGAIN
    1/10 - I was a sloth. Ate like I ran a marathon.
    1/11 - 4.5 third time i ran all the run bits, must make it true

exercise.png

Treadmill runner for now, following zombies5k. Running at 180spm seems to be keeping the shin splints at bay.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I haven't screwed my shoes and up to this point, have not felt the need. If I were to screw my shoes, however, I would use an older pair and leave the screws in. That pair would then be dedicated for use in conditions that warranted a good screwing. I would not try to unscrew the shoe.

I don't think there's enough sole on my favs to screw. I love getting new shoes, but would have a hard time screwing them too. (I just know @MorningGhost14 won't pass that up :blush:)
  • Elise4270
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Reiteration on the group shirts.

1.Here is the order form: please order your shirts.

https://www.customink.com/g/aeg0-00ad-vcjx

2. PM me (even though its currently screwed up) what you have ordered so I know who, what and wear (lol, where)! And if you prefer a shipper- everything is going USPS unless you request otherwise.
    3. Pay shipping to me on PayPal (beheyb@gmail.com) or snail mail. See Group Shirt thread or PM/email me if needed, if you have additional questions.

I'm traveling today, PM is mFp'd up today. So just putting it to the forum.

I plan on a 1 business day turn around/2 day priority mail. Guessing from online info, USPS is $6UDS. I'll check on that with a live person tomorrow.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    if running in 6 degree weather, like i did just now, is not awesome, i don’t know what is :)

1/1 5.6 miles—street run given the snow and ice on sidewalks. excellent run at 25 F.
    1/2 elliptical day, no run
    1/3 10.2 — excellent run, slow pace 11:45. But pain in the heels and achilles afterwards. got better with ice treatment!
    1/4 elliptical day, no run
    1/5 rest day
    1/6 6.5 — ran in 28 degree weather. starting to feel 30 degree weather might be pushing it too warm for comfort :) My heels, which bothered me after my last run (stretched, iced, and rested) held up quite nicely during today’s run. i guess i should just recognize that every time i push myself a bit more on distance or on speed, i should expect some pain if not planned well enough and if not done in a gradual way.
    1/7 3.64 — the run was okay at 10:30 per mile, but the roads were slippery because of some freezing rain. icing helps a great deal with the pain. I still have some pain in my achilles, but doing much better everyday. I took it easy though.
    1/9 6.11 —nice group run while snowing lightly!
    1/10 crosstraining—elliptical
    1/11 4.31 — 6 degree weather @10:50

36.36/70
    ps notice the 36 and 36! a powerball sign?

exercise.png
  • sineadc94
    sineadc94 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm trying for 50km which I'm mainly hoping to achieve through shorter 5km runs twice a week plus one longer one gradually building up distance.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Checking in before checking out the 70 new posts!

1/1 5 @ 10:36 on the treadmill
    1/2 4.75 @ 10:42 on the park trail (20.75/20 miles for the week)

1/3 5.25 @ 11:14 (5.0 @ 10:51, .25 walking) on the trails near my house. It was a beautiful, blustery day!
    1/4 10 @ 12:00 on the treadmill. While running from Indominus Rex.
    1/5 3 @ 11:14 on the treadmill and strength training
    1/6 Rest Day and feeling fairly sore from yesterday's PT (and maybe Monday's run?)
    1/7 4.75 @ 11:53 on the park trail.
    1/8 3.5 @ 10:07 (3 at 9:48 and .5 at 12:00) plus strength training
    1/9 3.5 @ 12:22 (3 at 11:26, plus .5 at a walk) loping around the neighborhood with St. Woolos the Barbarian, aka The Poopinest Dog in the East, aka Woogie the Worst Running Partner Ever. It's a good thing he's cute!
    (30/30 for the week)

1/10 Rest Day/Family Day
    1/11 10.75 at 11:46 around the park trails. It was icy and muddy and a glorious run at peace with the world. I was listening to music (unusual for me outside, but I was afraid 10 miles would get a little too zen, lol) and my favorite Real McKenzies invited my dad along for the run (I bet he didn't know he'd take up running after his passing, but he joins me frequently in the metaphorical way ghosts have). We invited David Bowie, too, but he was busy bedazzling his heavenly choir robes. My heart was light, but my legs felt every centimeter of the last two miles. "Gently rolling terrain" feels a lot like "stinking big hills" after 100 minutes or so...
    (10.75/30 for the week)

Upcoming Races:
    January 18: MLK 8K at Burke Lake Park, VA
    February 14: Run Your Heart Out 5K, Fairfax, VA
    February 21: Disney Princess HM, Orlando, FL
    March 6: Reston 10-miler, Reston, VA
    March 12: Lucky Leprechaun 5K, Reston, VA

exercise.png

• MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I don't think there's enough sole on my favs to screw. I love getting new shoes, but would have a hard time screwing them too. (I just know @MorningGhost14 won't pass that up :blush:)

Well, it DID conjure up certain images....

And for the record, while I freely admit to having a close, intimate relationship with my shoes, I have, up to this point anyway, drawn the line at screwing. Not saying there was not this hot little red and gold pair of Merrells that sorely tempted me...