Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Just testing to see if profile pic shows up...here goes
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hey, i think it worked , that is a pic of me and dd in phila last year, in front of the Rocky statue...covered in snow today for sure. Stay warm and safe everyone!
    Karen from ny
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    I got my teaching materials into the committee that has to approve my hours. I will know after Feb. 18th if I am approved. They only meet once a month.

I feel for those in the path of the snow storm. We have not had one of those here this year yet. One of worst year we had over 30 inches at Halloween and we had snow until Spring. It helps to shovel or snow blow it as it comes down. Part of the trick is throwing the first shoveling further back so you have room for the next wave. Be careful and take numerous breaks. Also be very careful at intersections because it can get difficult to see. You do live in an area where it will warm up and the snow will hopefully not last very long. Up here we also shovel out our fire hydrants and make sure the storm drains are clear because once it starts to melt the water needs to go somewhere. Not in your basements! If you get extreme cold keep an upstairs faucet running so your pipes do not freeze. Keeping cabinets open to your room can also help. Up here in the North we insulate our homes more and we still have to be careful.

:heart: Margaret
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

So many posts that I didn’t even try to take notes.

<3 I do hope all of you that are not feeling well get better very soon.

<3 Congrats to those with victories.

<3 Janetr, I’d stay in AZ too, until spring if possible.

<3 Best of wishes for all of you, my friends. I love all the pictures.

<3 Barbie, I was joking about your blood test determining your ancestry because it was so expensive. I noticed a number of comments about that. whistling.gif

m1277.gifto any Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Went to “Menopause the Musical” this afternoon and it was great! Very funny and loved the music. I didn’t know it would be to all of the oldies and Motown. It has rained all day but at least we aren’t having sleet or snow like so many of you. I pray you will all stay safe. I have activities at the Moose the next two days so glad we aren’t having snow.
    I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    still feeling yucky.. working in the am,took my nyquil will relax and watch t.v. for a bit and then go to bed..
    ta ta for now
  • dramsey123
    dramsey123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My name is Donna and I need lots of encouragement. I turned 50 last year and am having a hard te loosing weight but have last 4 pounds since starting with MFP Started at first of year but cannot get motivated to exercise
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    >:)
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    :)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Speaking of being busy, my life is going to be getting a bit more busy. My neighbor stopped by this morning in tears. His son, one of my oldest daughter's friends and classmate, is failing in school. This kid has Asperger's and the school just is not able to teach him the way he needs to learn (darn teaching for the tests!). He cannot begin to imagine how his son would react to being held back, especially since it would mean losing my daughter as a classmate. I had similar experiences and frustrations (like the teachers not even knowing the kid had an IEP-Individual Education Plan!). So the two of us put our heads together and came up with a plan to help out Evan. He is going to come over five days a week to do his math homework with Emily. She is a wonderful teacher. He will also hang out and play in this less chaotic than home environment- the type of focused play Emily likes so it builds his ability to focus. If his teacher sends any other worksheets home with Emily for him to do, I will work with him. I am going to get him a scholarship for Tae Kwon Do so he learns some discipline and focus there, as well as being successful at something and spending time with Emily and other good kids. He is going to go to church and sunday school with us- he knows the sunday school teacher already since she volunteers at the school. Again, he will be able to practice focusing with out the pressure, and he will also be successful and have fun with kids his own age. (His younger brother, the age of my younger daughter, 8, is very ADHD and probably Oppositional Defiant Disorder too.) Emily and I will help him with any catch up he needs this summer. And dad and mom will stop grounding him for weeks at a time especially for things related to school. Hopefully we can all work together to get him back on track. He is a great kid and adores my girls, as does his brother. There is a toddler brother as well, who so far isn't showing any dysfunction. Wish us luck!

You are such a blessing to this young man! Having a daughter who went through school on an IEP and having worked in an elementary school as an Instructional Assistant to the Resource Dept. I truly believe any child is educable given knowledge that all children do not learn the same way.

Cheri NE oHIo
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Ok I am puzzled..I lost weight, got in shape some, ate better..now my waist has decided that it wants to be almost as large as my breasts..and at a size G..I am not impressed...Anyone got any help with this one.??

I have the same problem. I have 2 stone to lose but my waist is causing me the most problem. I feel like I have blow-up ring around my waist, it is horrid. I am also not sure what to do about it. It really is frustrating.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    CICO but the stress hormone cortisol causes fat to deposit around the waist. I have the same problem and I hate it. I have never seen anything that specifically addresses that problem, though it seems like reducing stress or how your body responds to stressful situations (meditation!) would help or at least prevent it from getting worse. Does anyone else know anything about this? Oh, and the fat around the waist usually means that one has a lot of fat around one's organs which is NOT good. I do know that my daughter in law lost almost 70 pounds so far, here on MFP, and has now had skin removal surgery and now does not have nearly the problem she had before.

And I wonder in your case if being thin wasn't somehow stressful, eccentric 88, leading to increased cortisol production. Many of us imagine life dramatically improving "when" and it really just doesn't happen that way.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    u0c1yx5w9bv8.jpg
    I am the one in black. When the girls were baptized a year ago. Their grandmother is the dark haired skinny lady, my sister.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone! I picked the kids up from school and my son asked if I would drive him and the kids up to Fort Scott to hand them off to their mother for the weekend. I told hubby I was going and he insisted that he was going too, so we had a full van. It's about 35 miles each way, so it's not too bad. Coming home I discovered that the heater was messing up. The control for the passenger side was not working at all, and it was stuck on VERY HOT. It was so hot that touching the vent felt like it was burning my fingers. Even with the A/C on and both knobs turned all the way to cold, it was still blowing very hot. Hubby was turning the knobs too, because apparently he didn't think I knew how to turn them properly, but he had no luck either. So, it looks like I'll have to take it in to get that looked at. It was 20 degrees outside and I wanted to roll down the window, it was so hot.

When we got back to town, we dropped my son at his place, then went to the grocery store. There is a new Walmart Neighborhood Market that opened this week, right down the street from out locally owned grocery store. So, hoping to compete with Walmart, they put out some super good coupons. We got milk for $1.88, eggs for 99 cents, and their salad bar for $5 off. Hubby's salad was free. Mine was a little bigger because I got watermelon, strawberries, chunks of chicken, and a bunch of cherry tomatoes. It was really good. So, that was a really nice dinner.

The coop group met today at my studio, and we didn't get much accomplished, but we chatted and laughed a lot, so it was time well spent. It started out with just three of us, but we added another lady today. She was a school principal, so she is very organized and will be good at getting our systems in place.

Not much more going on. Welcome to the new ladies who've joined us lately.

Goodnight all!

Sylvia
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Katla – The closest we’ve come to going through a tornado was when the little town we live about 6 miles from had one touch town. It took out a pretty good many of the large oak trees. Before that (probably 20 years ago) it rained so hard you could not see out the windows at work. Touched down just on the other side of the river (probably 8 – 10 miles away). A friend of mine, when she was a child, ot trapped in her bed when one hit their home near Mobile, AL. Whenever they had tornado warnings everybody but her would be standing at the windows looking, she’d be headed toward the stairwell. Told them, they’d understand if they had ever been in one. We’ve had some really strong winds and our children (who live in a trailer) come next door to get into our house (with a foundation). My DDnL#1 is ‘terrified’ and the children pick up on that. We all know where the ‘safe zones’ are in our house; but, if one touches down about all you can do is ‘bend over and kiss it’ (hopefully NOT goodbye). We had a warning a couple of years ago and I slept right through it. Got a little upset with DH; because I love a good lightning and thunder storm and they said it was crashing all around us. I sleep with a C-pap and I was ‘gone’ to ‘la-la-land’. Snow is pretty when it is falling; but, the snow and ice are horrible. We got stuck at my DS & former-BnL’s house in Chattanooga where they predicted snow. Sistr said they rarely had soow because the mountains around the city broke the storms up and they’d go around them. We watched it for a couple of hours; woke up the next day with at least 6 – 8 inches on the ground. We’ve been ‘trapped’ at their house(s) during 2 storms. The 2nd was during a hurricane that stalled over South GA and AL. I think it was Inez – YEARS ago. Albany had their first 500-year flood and we had no way to cross over the Flint River that runs through the middle of town.

nccarolb – I grew up in middle Georgia and it seemed like we had a sleet storm about every 8 years, on average, my BF and I had a lot of fun playing in it. Knowing the dangers now, I don’t think I’d do it again. With all the wires down and trees laying across them. I remember that the Sheriff would call my Daddy and ask how many people we could put up for the duration of the storm. We lived in a big Colonial house near the town square; and, they’d close down Interstate 75; which ended in my home town until I was a Junior in HS.

What type of beans do you put in your 15-bean soup?

Miriamwithcats – Our DYS had a August 31th birthday; and, because of it we held him back for a extra year of kindergarten. I think we made the right decision so that he’d be the absolute oldest child in his class rather than being the absolute youngest. He became a leader and not a follower. I think it is best to hold children back in earlier years rather than later on. Unfortunately, there are not too many school systems that are able to have special classes for children with special needs. He took Ritalin for several years. In his 2nd grade, his teacher asked the parents of 6 children on some sort of medication, if we’d be willing to NOT give it to them until they got home from school. I was one of 3 that decided to go with the teacher. She got him to slow down (from wanting to always be the first to hand in his work) to being neat and correct. Then she would reward him with special projects. Either doing extra work, for extra grade points or playing with something like Play Dough. She told me that he made a double winged airplane with all the lights and the bars between the wings. She was so impressed with his imagination (which had unfortunately been squelched by his first year kindergarten teacher). We had to ‘fight’ with the Nun Principal to hold him back. I told her that ‘if’ she did NOT let me keep him back that I’d go to the Diocese about it. She finally shut up about it. When we pulled our oldest son out of school after the first grading period; she called DSY to the office, over the loud speaker, to him why. He looked at her and said, “That’s between my Moma and Daddy, you’ll have to ask them.” The next day I interrupted her giving announcements and told her that she was NEVER to call him out of class without me being ‘in the office’ and then she’d send someone to his room to get him. I was FURIOUS! My boys were not perfect; but, you don’t mess with my boys. Like a Mama Bear protecting her cubs.

Donna – do 5 minutes a day and increase it by 5 minutes every day; walking is a great exercise and easy to increase daily.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    dramsey123 wrote: »
    My name is Donna and I need lots of encouragement. I turned 50 last year and am having a hard te loosing weight but have last 4 pounds since starting with MFP Started at first of year but cannot get motivated to exercise

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif Walking is a great way to start being active.....I motivate myself to walk by having something to listen to while I walk....music, podcasts, audio books....there is so much to choose from .....exercise doesn't have to be something grueling.....I love to dance and found a line dance class in my town.....there are lots of ways to be active
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Still on vacation, ladies. It looks like there is a good chance I will be spending my anniversary with a blizzard in Philadelphia!
    Tomorrow we will either be driving in snow or or hunkering down in Philly...not sure if this storm will live up to the hype.
    Have not had time to read about 150 posts, but if the Internet and the power stays on I might get a chance tomorrow!
    Wish me luck,
    Betty
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Heather: beautiful family!!!
    Janet: love the jewelry, have friends leaving for Arizona
    Mary: how cold did you get?? We have a heat wave coming 32 above Sunday

All you out east stay safe, sounds like you may beat our Halloween blizzard. 24 inches in a day, stopped the city. Minnesota we don't stop for anything, in fact we pride ourselves on beating the weather!
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I got my teaching materials into the committee that has to approve my hours. I will know after Feb. 18th if I am approved. They only meet once a month.

I feel for those in the path of the snow storm. We have not had one of those here this year yet. One of worst year we had over 30 inches at Halloween and we had snow until Spring. It helps to shovel or snow blow it as it comes down. Part of the trick is throwing the first shoveling further back so you have room for the next wave. Be careful and take numerous breaks. Also be very careful at intersections because it can get difficult to see. You do live in an area where it will warm up and the snow will hopefully not last very long. Up here we also shovel out our fire hydrants and make sure the storm drains are clear because once it starts to melt the water needs to go somewhere. Not in your basements! If you get extreme cold keep an upstairs faucet running so your pipes do not freeze. Keeping cabinets open to your room can also help. Up here in the North we insulate our homes more and we still have to be careful.

:heart: Margaret

Why do we stay, it's so beautiful! All above is normal winter living. It does get long, harder as we age. Nothing like that white snow, hearing it crack under your feet. Beautiful!!