WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Penny: I loved the video about your community. Thanks for sharing. :bigsmile:

Miriam: Cheers for trying something new! :smiley:

Becca: How I envy your crab! It is available at the grocery store here, but the prices are stratospheric. Yikes. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I am always impressed at all that you do each day. You are amazing. :star:

Mindy: Congrats on being down a couple of sizes. THAT is an NSV to savor, enjoy, and brag about! :bigsmile:

I went to yoga today and enjoyed the class with one of my favorite teachers, but haven't done much of anything else. I seem to be a bit low on energy just now. I'm actually glad my riding lesson has been changed to Sunday this week. I'm hoping I have a bit more energy by then.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    ir465ubtbtif.jpeg

Floyd and I say nite peeps
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Denise - what a touching story about the people who came to help out a neighbor in need (The Amazing Harvest). I saw that your town has a population of 2500, only slightly larger than my town. I think that's a pretty suitable size for a community of humans.

Carol - having worked in a church myself, I know exactly what you mean about wanting to write a book about what goes on behind that serene facade. I was receptionist at a church in Florida for a year and when I left I took along fond memories of some exceedingly colorful personalities. (We never got a cat on our doorstep, though.)

Last night I actually felt cold in bed. I usually have the opposite problem. But hubby's away this week. Maybe I was missing the heat he generates, or maybe it was just caused by cold wind beating on the window. Snowstorm today. Wheeeee!
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    January 31st is tomorrow, unbelievable...I have some some really exciting news to share with you all. My sister is going to Italy the last two weeks in October (Florence, Siena, Assisi, and Rome), and she has asked me to go with her. Her husband passed ten years ago so she is looking for a travel buddy. She's offered to cover cost of the trip so I will just need spending money :D Boy, how to break it to my DH???? He only likes to backpack so I know he would never take vaction time to join us. My two oldest dear children will be off at college and our youngest will be driving by then and able to get himself back and forth to school. Guess I'll just have to deal with his wrath. I'm definitely going if it all works out.

Now I really have to get back on a heathly food and exercise plan. I have a gym membership waiting for me, all the tools just need to start thinking right.

I just weighed myself - time to get real, and it is not pretty. Gained back all 15lbs I lost last year :'( Back in the W size again so I'm really not surprised just mad at myself for letting the weight gain happen again. Enough of my private little pity party (ha ha), I am strong and can get this done. Starting back with walking 2 miles 4 times a week as my goal in February. I fall off my heathly program all the time because I put others ahead of me, time to just accept this about myself and to learn to do both in a healthy way.

2:20am here. Time for bed. Love to all you beautiful ladies. You make this world a better place.

<3 Rosie in So Cal

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Penny - As you know, I am coming to Svalbard in June. Sooooooo looking forward to it! That little train is one of the things on my calendar of the islands that is on my kitchen door. <3
    For the newbies, I am going on a cruise to the Arctic Circle, called Svalbard and the Midnight Sun. It's a Saga cruise in a small ship of 400+ and is for the over 50s only. :D I was going on my own, as DH hated the whole idea, but he relented at the last minute and, because of the huge single supplement, I was able to treat ourselves to a really great cabin for not much more money to me. B) He pays for himself. :) The cruise takes in the Norway coast and then the Svalbard archipelago. 15 days. :drinker:

Rosie - so happy for you that you are determined to go on this trip to Italy. October is a very good time of year for that kind of trip. I always take my beloved "city breaks" at that time of year as it's my birthday and also DH's.

Katla - I am worried about my brother and so is my DSIL. He was a type 2 diabetic, but did not look after himself. Now he's on insulin. I think it's only once a day. He looks grey and old and has lost all his omph. :'( He used to love his food and all this has made him tired and depressed. DSIL told me that he didn't come to Burns Night because he just couldn't face being sociable. That is so not like him. She is a bit weepy and tired and fed up. The daughter is vegetarian, the son is a newly diagnosed coeliac and DB is diabetic. She is doing the 5/2 diet. I'm glad I'm not having to cook for that lot. :ohwell:

My ear is buzzing quite a lot, but I can hear now. I hope it settles down.
    Michele - I have been using Otex ear drops. Both my parents suffered with very waxy ears. When I was younger I had them syringed occasionally, but the ear drops do work, it's just messy business. :noway:

Love to all. Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    Rosie~ wow that sounds fun...so glad you get to go on a nice vacation...
    well I slept ok,even though im not in my own bed... Faith is still snoozing and I talked to my DB last night..
    both Jean and I are praying this will turn his life around, he sounds so much more clear headed and thankful..he said last night he has been there since the 17th of July and this is his 7 day sober as he was in detox for 5 days.. told him about our mutual friend Norman that just passed away.. he was so proud of his sobriety he counted the days, he was sober 17 yrs and counted them in days and I am hoping he has the gumption to stay this way for the rest of his life.. I will be up here again for 4 days Valentines weekend as Jean is flying down there for the weekend for family therapy and to visit..I am glad I can help them both out..
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Great to hear about exciting travel plans, i live vicariously through all the exciting locales! I mostly enjoy the anticipation and planning for a trip.

I have accepted the winter blahs as the background to my days and will be strong in the face of my excuses to be a couch potato! Reading about successes here helps me plan to make the small choices that trigger better self care.

Busy day as dd has got a full day of rehearsing for her senior year musical. I am helping with the big dinner, so cooking and serving, hope to have a pic to post, so proud, another "last high school milestone" whizzes by.

Exercise is logged and i am going....no take backs!
    Karen from ny
  • valburger
    valburger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on this endless journey and am hoping this time it is for real! I really don't want to be that little old lady in the hospital bed that it takes four people to come and move!! I swear I will be fit before I'm dead!!! And I want to enjoy it to! So the mission is real and I am committed! I will use this group to help me keep that focus. I think I have the eating reigned in for now, next is to get moving a little bit more. 13,000 steps?? that's about triple of what I do now. I will start with a goal of 8,000 (today!) and a stretch goal of 10,000 with an ultimate goal of 13,000. How's that?
    Thank you for being here!!
    PS. I like the idea of monthly goals. I might start smaller with weekly - or daily - I am a procrastinator so a month might be too much for me right now.
    TTYL
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Lagopus
    Options
    Heather - I'm also looking forward to you visiting Svalbard. :heart: That little train is in Ny-Ålesund, so you won't see it. New rules prohibit ships that burn heavy fuel oil from going there. Actually, I think the locomotive has been shipped away for maintenance, so you wouldn't see it even if you did go to Ny-Ålesund. But don't worry, there's plenty of junk to admire in Pyramiden. smiley-laughing002.gif

Valburger - Nice flars! I liked that line about swearing to be fit before you're dead. Beautifully drastic. :wink: Stick around and let's get to know each other. Where are you and what do you call yourself besides Valburger? Not "TTYL" I assume.

Allie - I'm really pleased to hear about your brother's success so far. I have a dear old friend who drank away his marriage, his kids and half his life before becoming sober. He's been sober for 8-10 years now and I admire him immensely. But through him, I know it isn't easy.

I'm plodding along, working toward being able to check more things off my to-do list. Nothing so far, but two of them are getting close to completion.
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,093 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :)Mindy, your trip sounds great....I'm happy to hear how much you've taken charge of solving the issues that are contributing to your personal and financial woes.

:)Rosie, your trip with your sister sounds great.....think more about yourself and less about your husband's wrath or the things you do to take care of others....you are important

:) Katla, I have a lot of energy which is why the pain in my legs has been so frustrating....riding the exercise bike and doing a variation on my old weight training routine have been a good way to stay active without using my legs so much. Now I need to find a way to go off to the other room and do the income tax and sort and discard from old files.

:)Alison, that is good news about your brother. I hope he finds a program and support when he gets home, because no one stays sober on gumption alone.

:)valburger.....I am one of the people who routinely logs well over 10,000 steps a day, but I didn't start like that. I did what you are doing and started with a more manageable goal and gradually found ways to walk more. You can do it...take it one day at a time and measure your progress against yourself, and not against others.

:) I stayed in bed late---5 AM instead of 4 AM so a lot more of the dog walking this morning will be in the daylight.

:) This is the first reminder that there will be a new thread for February. Take a look at your January goals and see how you did and start making plans for goals for February. Mine will be some the same and one or more different.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington where the weather is always OK for walking...this morning I saw the moon when I walked the dogs before breakfast
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
  • Lagopus
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    I saw the moon when I walked the dogs before breakfast
    I sometimes get all teary-eyed when I think that all of us, each and every one of us - regardless of where we live - we all see the same moon. :flowerforyou:

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, your son, like most addicts, shows signs of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. His view of the world and other people is that they exist solely to meet his needs. So he sees you as a personal servant, as well as everyone else. If you do not set limits he will run you ragged and never appreciate what you do anyway. You are not being selfish- you are protecting yourself. He also sees his kids as there for him, not vice versa. Thus he is unable to meet their needs if their needs interfere with his needs. This is totally separate from his physical illness. He probably would have been a negligent father even in perfect health. You are saving those kids by being in their lives. My mother had Narcissistic Personality Disorder and there was never anyone stepping in like you do, for me. So I grew up with real trust issues and pathological independence and as well as feeling completely and totally unloved during my childhood. You are a blessing to those children. But at the same time you have to protect yourself- your health and your mental wellbeing by setting limits. You are far from selfish.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »
    I saw the moon when I walked the dogs before breakfast
    I sometimes get all teary-eyed when I think that all of us, each and every one of us - regardless of where we live - we all see the same moon. :flowerforyou:

I loved reading that. I have often thought that about the moon since I was in high school and friends/family were sent to Vietnam, etc. Always made me teary. Now I think that with my daughters and sisters.

Janetr okc
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Sylvia, it was so nice reading about your great day with the kids. There is nothing better than laughter!

Pip. I hope Kirby was right in that he’s not depressed. I think he has done remarkable and just feel like he will still see more improvement.

Mindy, I know you are excited about your trip. I like the planning almost as much as the trip itself. It sounds like you will have a blast. Better get planning on what you’ll wear, especially since you have shrunk. Woo Hoo

MicheleNC, I’d love your recipe for the low fat oatmeal cookies.

Katla, I hope your energy picks up for your riding lesson. I hate the days that I feel low energy. t2210.gif

Rosi, how exciting about getting to go to Italy! My DH wouldn’t be interested at all but would be happy for me to go if that is what I wanted to do. I hope yours feels the same way. Now get your butt in gear and get that weight back off. (((Hugs)))

Penny, I hope you stay warm. What kind of temps do you get down to? Burr, just thinking about it makes me cold! t09011.gif

b]Heather[/b], I feel so sorry for your DSIL trying to cook for all those special diets. It’s too bad your DB didn’t want to come to Burns Night. I sure hope things will improve for all of them.

Val, I think this is your first visit to our group of lovely ladies so let me say “Welcome”. This is a wonderful group for support and information. And yes, daily goals work great and remember to start with baby steps. This is a life journey and not a race. Feel free to tell us more about yourself to help us get to know you and please sign each post with the name you want to be called. A location is nice too, be it general or specific.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I finally decided I’ll make peach cobbler to take to the Moose tomorrow. I have the ingredients and want to get rid of some of them. The scale was actually down ½ pound this morning from my lowest weight. That sure isn’t much but the first time it’s budged in months, so I’ll take it. DH and I will run some errands later and it should be a beautiful day so I’m looking forward to being out. I wish a beautiful day for all of you, my friends. t115003.gif
    I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I have been stuck on a plateau pretty much this whole month. My body has been changing and have been losing inches however I want to lose some of the excess fat. I have decided to do what weight lifters call a cut. Instead of doing split weight lift days I am going to do full body instead and will continue to do kettle bell swings on my rest day between lifting. I will keep my calories between 1400 and 1700 because I need to fuel my body with protein. When stuck on a plateau you must rock the boat!

Stronglifts Rest Day

Goblet squats-3X7X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-22X9X 30

I determined that the pain in my ribs was caused by the increased weight of my kettle bell. So I'm fighting back! I increased the weight to the 30 pound kettle bell for all of the sets today as well as increased the reps to nine. You can call me the fat fighter!

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    60 minutes of exercise done (30 min upper body and 30 min elliptical).

My husband's company is very much into wellness programs and placed a wellness coach in his building as a trial. Very interesting. My husband is not much of one for exercise. He will walk around the building, but not in winter. He is a thin man so doesn't have the outward need to exercise. He tried working with a personal trainer and hated it. He had a wellness coach that he made a commitment with a few years ago and didn't stick with it. But this time, the coach said to just 10 minutes on the elliptical a day. That's it. I actually saw my husband walk downstairs the other morning in his p.j. sweats and no sneakers, turn the news on and get on the elliptical for 10 minutes. Then he went and got ready for work.
    I like the new easy approach. It's sustainable. I've found that with the P90x3 program also. I can do 30 minutes a day. I used to strive for an hour a day and often couldn't fit it in and opted to do nothing if I couldn't get the 60 minutes in. If I was really tired, I'd just bail out completely. If I can do extra, that's great, but if not, that's okay too.

The concepts of exercise have changed a lot over the years. I think he should wear sneakers though!

Kimses in MA