WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    garciasw wrote: »
    Me again. When I come back tomorrow, where will I find this group again? I'm a little lost.

Click on the star upper right when it turns yellow it bookmarks this thread.

<3
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Cheri Gee, welcome! If you look at the top of this page, find the title of this thread "WOMEN 50 +..." On the right side of the page, directly in line with the title, is a tiny star. It's above the magnifying glass. Click on that star and it will turn yellow. Tomorrow, when you search for us, just go to the top of a page in the community section and look for another (gray) star. It is located on the right side of the page, to the right of the words "MOTIVATION AND SUPPORT" and is in a little group next to a bell, a number in a box, and the little gear thing than means settings. Click on that gray star, and it will show you the threads that you have "bookmarked" with the yellow star. I hope that's clear enough. It's a little hard to describe.

Sylvia
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    stats for the day:
    running on track w/kirby - 34min, 1mi jog, 1mi walk = 200c
    other - run/skip/jump = 10min, = 160c
    other - wash car- 30min = 50c
    total cal 410

kirby was able to run for the first time!

Yeah Kirby!!
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    garciasw wrote: »
    Hi gals, I'm a newbie; just joined January 27. I'm over 50 (by 20 years), but I'm a very young minded senior. Am I welcome?
    Have been reading some of the posts, and this is a very verbal group. Believe me, I'd fit right in. Live in New Mexico for the last three years, actually quite close to the Arizona border, so we miss most of the snow and ice, which makes me very happy.
    As to weight loss goals, I'm in need of losing 50+ pounds and working on the grain free Wheat Belly WOE. As long as I stick with this, it works so well, and I feel so very healthy. But, the holidays grabbed me by the neck and forced all kinds of Christmas cookies and fudge down the gullet . . . well, may be I did that all on my own. But, here I am finding the tracking of meals is an excellent way to keep up with my WOE. When I was writing the foods in the journal, I underestimated a lot of categories. Now I know for sure where I stand each day.
    I started taking a probiotic, 30billion each day, about 2 weeks ago, and am pleasantly surprised with the effects. My energy level has ramped. I understand that I should only need to take this for 4 weeks. Would be interested to hear from any one else who has gone through this procedure.
    Do you weigh everyday? I am a member of TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) so I haven't been weighing except for the Wednesday meeting.
    Hope to hear from new friends at MFP.

Cheri Gee

Hi Cheri Gee.... welcome fellow TOPS member.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Pip, Kirbys shirt made me laugh out loud!
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    Beautiful day today.. I spent time outside, walked my dog, filled bird feeders, dog feeder and cat dish.. and didn't want to come in ...but I filled a boot with snow when I was getting to the bird feeder.

Watching the Eagles show on CNN - sooo.... later everyone

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • CheriGee2
    CheriGee2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sylvia and fannycy0626 for the info on bookmarks. Think I got the star turned yellow, although I went to the wrong star at first! Glad to know I'll be able to follow this group. Also, Lillian, happy to find a fellow TOPS member online. All, have a lovely evening.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Grits: I didn't talk about 15 bean soup. It must have been someone else. I'm not much of a bean fan although I'm learning to eat more of them. :flowerforyou:

Pip: Congratulations to Kirby and you on his first run since the accident. He is getting his life back, one victory at a time. :bigsmile:

Lynnphipps51: Stick with us for encouragement and support. Basic advice about eating is to eat the things that agree with you in measured portions so you know how many calories you're consuming. Food scales are a good tool and not too expensive. Measuring cups work, too, but dishers with handles are a bit easier to use though they cost a bit. I let MFP set my calorie allowance and as I lost weight, the program reduced my allowable calories. It took time, but I reached my goals. I'm still here because I love this group of women and because I know that I'll need to count calories forever. There are some women here with heath situations that are challenging. I suspect you'll find lots of support. :flowerforyou:

Betty: I take D3 year round and take more in the darkest part of winter. It is good for both mental/emotional issues and also bone density. I've shifted back down to my spring/summer dose but needed more in December and the earlier part of January. If you are farther north, you may need to take extra a bit longer. Too much can be toxic so read up on that. A medical site I trust says that over 5000IU daily will eventually become toxic. The site did not say how long that would take or what the symptoms would be. Right now I'm taking two 2000IU capsules per day & I feel great. Last summer I did great with one 2000IU capsule per day. This is an ongoing science experiment for me, and I'm the "test animal." :smiley:

Cheri Gee: Welcome! To find us again, click the star at the very top of this page. It will turn yellow. Then you can find us again by clicking the gray star on the Community page. Tomorrow is the last day of the month and the very next day we will start a new thread for February. Barbie starts the new thread for us. There will be a link at the bottom of this page. :flowerforyou:

Today was a good day. We spent a lot of time looking for DH's iphone. Normally you can just call it and listen for the ring, but it had run out of battery. It was eventually found in a shirt pocket he'd hung on his office chair and then put another light jacket on top of that. Alls well that ends well.

Tomorrow morning I have a riding lesson at 9 am. That is EARLY for me and I will dress warmly. I hope I do better than last week. I was just getting over a little flu bug last week and didn't have quite the level of energy that I needed. I hope to be well rested and have a great time tomorrow.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Have a good weekend.
    hugs jane

Jane, that grandbaby is just THE sweetest!!

Janetr okc
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Xdiesel rough DVD. this was a good DVD. Again, for some reason it was stopping, almost as if there was some sort of dust on the DVD. I'll have Vince look at it.

The plan for tomorrow is to do the Mari Windsor Lower Body Pilates DVD. the one I thought I'd lost. I had put it in the pile to do tomorrow.... Silly me!

Went to the Hickory community Theater tonight to see Superior Donuts. I thought it was pretty funny.

I'm just writing today off as far as counting calories, etc. goes. I made fudge for Vince, hoping that the recipe that I had I could modify it some so that it was more "fudge-like" but that didn't seem to happen. I made the meat patties for these waffle burger appetizers that I'll take to Mexican Train next week. Then I made ginger cookies for Colby and some to give to the Y and the place where I take the extremepump.

This has GOT to stop. I wrote off a day of not counting calories in the middle of the month and now again today. Too frequently. Tomorrow, it's back to logging faithfully. Right now I'm making the steel cut oats that I'll have.

Rosie - how wonderful that you'll get to go to Italy! I know your sister will certainly enjoy the company

Took the last of that anti-inflammatory that I plan to take. Actually, there are two more weeks left, but if I don't have any more problems, I'm not taking it. It's not like an antibiotic where you have to take it all for it to be effective.

Alison - so happy about your brother. Take care of yourself (especially that foot)

Heather - you are so good, you'll get that pound off in no time at all.

Lenora - I hope it's not the Halo that keep to the rind, since that's what I got. I'll have one tomorrow a.m. so I'll let you know. I remember holding the yarn for my grandmother.

Irish Terry - hope you had a great trip. Tell us all about it!

pip - does kirby look ever so happy! Tell him "Yea" from me

Michele in NC
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Sylvia - your Saturday sounded truly enjoyable! Glad to hear you hip has responded well to the anti-inflammatories. As for walking on ice, I have studded boots and jogging shoes. With them on I've never had any problems whatsoever!

Pip - Yay Kirby! \o/

Kim - Thanks for your words about my (postponed) decision. I too love the freedom of being self-employed. Luckily the job I'm applying for is way far away from corporate America. It would be research-related, and most of the researchers I know extremely laid back.

I'm trying out a new work strategy, which involves setting a timer for 25 minutes and working with full concentration until the timer goes off. Then I take a 5-min break (and do some squats and jumping jacks and crunches) after which I repeat the cycle three more times. Then a longer break, like lunch, maybe. I've found that 25 minutes simply flies by, but thanks to the 5-min breaks I can actually maintain full concentration and get a lot done during those 25 minutes. Previously I've tended to work steadily until I collapsed. And then nothing much more got done that day.

And now, ladies, I'd better start that timer!
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,372 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I scrolled back to look for some of the things mentioned in recent posts.

Penny Thanks for the video. It brings back memories of our Northern Lights Cruise in 2013. I like your new work strategy to keep focus.
    Pip That is one tough cookie you have there. Kirby is one in a million.
    Katla I had a good laugh at the phone hunt! I am constantly mislaying mine, also my glasses. I bought rimless ones, not realising that they are practically invisible when you put them down.
    Michelle We were on our annual 'ski' trip with DBIL and DSIL. This year we were.n Kaprun, Austria. I didn't ski as I didn't want to chance the new hip. Brenda and I did some hiking while the 'boys' were up on the slopes. The hotel had spa facilities, a good pool and a fitness room, so I worked off the holiday indulgences as I went along. These are photos of the view from our balcony and the hotel. Our room was on the top floor last but one on the left.

pdjo3xg8xm7f.jpg
    bmquelkwy7cz.jpeg

:heart: Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them! :heart:

[img]http://www.freesmileys.org/custom/image/grey%5E_%5Egeorgia%5E_%5E3%5E_%5E5%5E_%5EWelcome! Newbies!%5E_%5E.gif[/img]

:star: Let your light shine out in the darkness :star:

:star: Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. :star:
    We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended.

80464089.png

:star::)smiley-happy110.gif:):star:

Irish Terri harp.gif
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Irish Terri - that looks lovely! I have never thought of going on a "ski" holiday just for the other activities. :flowerforyou:

I think I'm going to see if my DB and his wife will come to us for a Valentine's lunch or dinner. They can only say no. If he does come I will mention getting the support for his diabetes some of you have talked about. He is a MAN though! :sad:

Quiet day today. Will make some scones for DH and finish reading the paper. War and Peace tonight which conflicts with a new Vera. I will record that to skip the adverts.
    I'm going to send DDIL a card to mark her stopping working to have the baby. Her last day is this Tuesday. Baby due by Caesarian March 14th. My father's birthday. They are hopefully coming down in a few weeks time to leave the grandchildren and go to spy out the land in Brighton in case they move there. DS knows it well as he was at uni there, but she doesn't. They have booked the same hotel as I stayed in with my friends a year ago.

Making chilli for tonight. Having it with mashed swede (rutabaga) and snow peas.

Love to all, Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    morning all
    ,Oy I didnt sleep very well,I had the dogs with me which is fine and Faith enjoyed them.. but slept in Sean and Jeans room, and that is where there is alot of stuff everywhere,and I worried that they would get into something ,so very fitful sleep, have to stick around and get faith her breakfast and meds, and insulin ,then off to home ,take a shower and get ready to go back out again..I have found out that I like being in my own home, with Tom and the boys... I am more comfortable there..
    I will be doing this again for a longer period of 4 days ,11-14TH of Feb. as Jean is flying down to see Sean..
    He sounds good and am glad he is getting the help he needs..
    Will check in later..
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I think I'm going to see if my DB and his wife will come to us for a Valentine's lunch or dinner. They can only say no. If he does come I will mention getting the support for his diabetes some of you have talked about. He is a MAN though! :sad:
    Oh Heather, I'm crying with you but must admit I'm also laughing my head off at your insight into what MEN are.

/Penny

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    pip kirbys shirt made me laugh and remember a funny family story...we were visiting family and my 3 year old nephew didnt know me very well, kept calling me "lady" well grandma corrected him very sternly, "this is your auntie karen, you must call her by that name....about 10 minutes later we all hear from the bathroom "AUNTIE KAREN!! Come wipe my butt!!!! Lol, we still tell that story and he is 25.

Taking the day to organize and meal plan for the week. Looking forward to february.
    Karen from ny
  • eleanora2016
    eleanora2016 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good morning, Ladies. I'm new here, so just saying hello. I'm almost 53 and I have 90 pounds to lose. I've done Myfitnesspal before but failed in part because I tried to go it alone without any support. This time I'm reaching out for support and friendship. Hope I can be there for all of you too. Here's to a successful 2016, and permanent goal achievement for all of us:)
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Lynn Phipps, I am just curious if Phipps is short for something else. My birth last name was Fippinger, so I am always looking for others. We sometimes would call ourselves Fipps. We are all related to a family that came over from Bavaria with 14 kids!
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Good morning! Here are some shots of the sunrise over our little lake. It was even more glorious five minutes before, but of course I didn't have my camera.

x574czd7fgs8.jpeg
    mlwa2ysg5gd2.jpeg
    vynoxpyoqddw.jpeg
    16ddatm84tj3.jpeg
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Eleanora, welcome! Where are you from? Tell us a little more about yourself! This thread has made all the difference to me. It's a great group of friends.

To all the new ladies...Back on page 31(ish) we started posting little introductions of ourselves, so we can all get acquainted. If you have the time, you might look at them and see if anybody clicks with you, maybe a similar background, goals, family issues, or whatever. Many of us have been here for years, so we can show you the ropes. Stick with us!

Sylvia
    Pittsburg, Kansas, USA