WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Terri in Milwaukee: Thanks for the great ideas for coping with a cast. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Out here in the wet & wild west side of the Cascade Mountains we think everyone has an accent except us. We all sound like TV reporters. :devil:

Beth: I love my local gym & I hope you're happy with yours. Look for things to enjoy doing instead of endure. I like the classes like yoga, zumba & spin. If your gym doesn't have anything that looks like fun, I'd look for another gym. :wink:

Becca: If your sinuses are draining, you are on the mend. I hope every day is better than the one before. :flowerforyou: We are lucky to have you.

Sylvia: You are lucky in love. Tell your DH I said he is a genuine prize. :bigsmile:

We're having pizza for dinner because I can't cook & DH didn't want to. I will count the calories. I'm not currently getting much exercise. I hope the cast improves my ability to do things. I currently have no use of my right hand because it is wrapped up all the way to the ends of my fingertips.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    mtowne002 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies

and I lost eight! Which brings my total since August 6 to a thirty pound loss! I am SO HAPPY about this and also about my NEW FRIENDSHIPS WITH YOU ALL! I also remember I was supposed to walk the dogs every day and I fell short there. Lastly, I had a checkup which went well. I finally got my blood work results back and am super happy about that too. Will post numbers later but all my cholesterol readings were pretty low coming in about 2/3 goal levels except the one that is supposed to be higher and it was by a third..so my ratio was 2.2? This comes after halving my chol meds in July so I am going to call him and ask if I can reduce or do it! Yay! Additionally my reunion w my son went well.

Mindy from Boston

Yeah!! for all the good things happening for you

Lillian
  • ConnieVance
    ConnieVance Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am new to the sight, but hoping for some support. Lost about 50 lbs 3 years ago and have gained almost all back. I started logging my food 3 days ago. So far, so good. Now, I just have to get back to the exercise thing. Thanks for listening.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    T1t72q9kweori.jpeg
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I did some de-cluttering today. I like the shiny sink idea! It just makes the kitchen so clean looking. My Kitchen, dining room and living room is all one room - so a messy kitchen makes the whole place look messy.

Now it is off to bed ...work tomorrow

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    A little something for you cat people.

oa5tcq08d9a6.jpeg
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Robin - I have two meditation apps (free, of course!). One is called "Calm" and the other is "1 Giant Mind." They are very different from each other so I pick the one I'm in the mood for. I'd love to get into the habit of meditating every day, but time escapes me most days.

I am worn out! I worked a little over my usual 10 hour day and then went straight to a finance meeting at church. I didn't get home until around 8:45 pm so I had a snack instead of dinner. I'm getting ready to turn off the light and close my tired itchy eyes.

Good night!

Carol in cold NC
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Facebook, Tara Brach. Love her meditations, short to long, whatever you want. Gayle Minneapolis
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    Gayle - let me know when you want to get together. I will try but we are down to one car.

Kim - teaching him no and rewards are really working! I'm glad to hear that it worked for you.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :)Robin, My meditation is simple. I sit in a chair in a dark room with my eyes closed, my feet on the floor, and my hands in my lap. I set a timer for 10 minutes (I started with 5) and breathe in and out and concentrate on my breath. It's very simple and doesn't take any special "stuff".

<3 Barbie
  • barbiecat
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Strategy is stronger than willpower.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    11,000 steps
    178 minutes of dog walking
    80 minutes riding the exercise bike while watching "Despicable Me 2"

January Resolutions
    *meditate for 10 minutes a day four or more days a week
    *sort and discard papers for 15 minutes four or more days a week
    *treat myself like a toddler (as suggested by Gretchen Rubin)
    *get income tax papers gathered in one place

My word for 2015 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful chilly NW Washingtont09013.gif
  • lemonhead66
    lemonhead66 Posts: 109 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I was over on my intake today, but not by too much. I did walk 2 miles with my kiddos this evening. I love walking with them, we get to talk and exercise with distractions. I love reading all your posts and I am trying keep up. I have consistently logged and exercised for 5 days.

Sorry I'm working on names and who says what - Have 4 boys current ages 9 - 24 and they have all gone thru stages and degrees of personal hygiene. My 19yo is still learning. LOL

Jennifer in FL
  • barbiecat
    Options

oa5tcq08d9a6.jpeg

smiley-laughing025.gif
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did 32 minutes HIIT on the elliptical then 15 minutes on the rowing machine. The plan for tomorrow is to take the deep water class.

artemis - you say you use YouTube videos for exercise. Do you download them off YT or watch and follow on your laptop/desktop?

Welcome everyone new! Stay a spell (but be exercising while you're doing it...lol) Glad to have ya

Elaine - just be sure that if you work your abs you also exercise your back (the opposing muscles). Otherwise, what happens is that you wind up pushing your abs out even further, which will make you look fatter. Believe it or not, our mother was right, standing tall can actually make you look 5 pounds thinner!

Lisa - oh, I know exactly what you're referring to, I'd just never heard it called a rolling stairstepper before, that's all. Yes, it IS an awesome machine. What I've done sometimes is walked sideways on it. I'm not crazy about the ones where you control the speed and resistance.

When I got to the Y this morning, I put my water bottle on this elliptical and then went to change. When I got back, someone had moved my waterbottle to another elliptical. Only problem was that I can't use that elliptical for HIIT. I just said to her "why did you do that?" and then moved to another machine. Fortunately, they have a few, the one branch only has the one. I did have a small problem with the fan that I need, the wire had to run on the floor, the other elliptical I had I could plug the fan in right in front of the machine and there wouldn't have been a wire on the floor. Well, nothing happened so that's good. My fear was that someone would trip on the wire. Don't know why the gal was using the machine next to her. See, I wanted a machine that you used upper and lower body, she was only using the lower body. Why didn't she take a machine that only uses the lower body? Guess some people just don't think or consider others

Cheri - good vibes being sent to you and your hubby

Went to Mexican train dominoes tonight. Wasn't hungry at all so didn't eat anything there. But when I got home I had to have a cookie. Well....those cookies are out of the freezer now so no more temptation (until I have to make more for Vince) UGH...just logged that cookie. Why oh why did I even have it?????

Sylvia - I'm so sorry that your son did that to you, made you rush to get the kids and then had someone else pick them up. I can imagine how you feel. Congrats on the weight and the steps. You go girl!

lpdjones - happy birthday! Are you doing something special for your day?

Sue from Alaska - trust me, you'll NEVER know everyone's name!!! I've been on this thread for a few years and I STILL don't know everyone's name. Plus, people come and go, life happens, then they return.

DJ - Pepper's jacket is so adorable.

katla - great words to Elaine. You're so right that we can't spot reduce. How I wish we could!

Beth - use that membership!

jane - ((((HUGS))))

Mindy - I do hope you're able to reduce your chol meds. How great is it that your reunion went well. How great of your friend to take you to the Keys on her tab

Lenora - loose clothing sure is an awesome NSV

Robin in So. Cal - horray for you eating fruit and not having alcohol, especially when you are with your mom who has a glass of wine.

Michele in NC
  • bskts4ver
    bskts4ver Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    After a dismal start yesterday and dismal because I caved regarding a piece of Turtle Pie that I ate for dessert last night....today was much better!

I did make it to the gym both yesterday and today. Yesterday, I did a 2 mile walk on the indoor track and today, I walked for 1.5 miles and then did a 45 minute water boot camp class. I earned an extra 275 calories for that!

Tonight was an excellent chicken stir-fry that my husband and I prepared and for a small snack later....a Weight Watcher Chocolate Crème Cake. I was glad to see my sugar grams and fat grams were low today.
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Lilymay2 wrote: »
    I did some de-cluttering today. I like the shiny sink idea! It just makes the kitchen so clean looking. My Kitchen, dining room and living room is all one room - so a messy kitchen makes the whole place look messy.

Now it is off to bed ...work tomorrow

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan

I've been working on the shiny sink plan too! Two nights now and it is nice to wake up to a clean kitchen. I have to admit that I've washed the dishes and then left them to dry overnight. Still easier to wake up to a sink of clean dishes that just need to be put away.

Linda/IA
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

oa5tcq08d9a6.jpeg

LOL I can totally relate

Linda/IA
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Bear with me folks I am going to try to post picture[img]http://cd8ba0b44a15c10065fd-24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53.r23.cf1.rackcdn.com/mfp- these two never like to have thier picturs takenen.vanillaforums.com/editor/i9/2po4gqyu3yzo.jpg[/img]
    yrv0wfzbt6dj.jpg
    wvciqwrorkrr.jpg
    7ob2futgqul9.jpg
    ocs08dato7aw.jpg

I sure hope these are good. I took a couple of pictures of Matt after he went through his one year drug rehab for his heroin addiction. he ha expression on his face. He is happy and animated.

The other pictures are of our Christmas either at the fellowship hall or at my place. We place our own gits under the tree first and opened them with just the Kinnel family and then as the family came in they added more and then came the stockings. You can tell the difference in matt while he was under the influence and hn he is sober. I think all others are self explanatory

ONly picture that is missing is my jewelry armoir that came in today. I was sort of wishing it had separate holders for each ring but they have plenty of places of for you to put rings. It's all my necklaces I worried about and they worked fine. Also it was extremely easy to put together. The mirror and jewelry holder itself was healthy and both Charlie and I were working up a sweat holding the actual mirror piece up while attaching it to the frame but it is done and filled. I think putting that armoire really showed Charlie what his strength is not.

the sheer volume of everyone here is boggling my mind. No I don not want anyone to leave, Just realize I am not up to myself.

I finished programming programming Charlies phone today. Got his phone contacts in, showed him how it has voice to text. Showed him how to text. I will gradually ave to show him how to send a picture.

Joyce,, Indiana
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Beth, my gym is 20 minutes away, too. I love going, but I think about how I could do the whole workout in the 45 minutes of commuting. I really like going at 9:15 for the classes, though. So far, it has only been 3 people each time, so it's like having your own personal trainer. I am very sore today from yesterday's squats.

DJ, I live in Jefferson.

I'm in search of a good water bottle for the gym that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions? I had the flylady water bottle, but never really liked the stainless steel so gave it to my son for work. I think I'd like 24 oz that fits well in my hand. I looked at one at Academy today that had an Under Armour logo on it that was cute, but it looked hard to open and was $17. I might pay that much if I knew I was going to like it, but not if there is any doubt. I'd prefer $10 or less. I'm going to look at Kroger tomorrow or maybe CVS. There is no Walmart or Target in my town. I was in Athens today but two stores were DH's shopping limit and the other store did not have any. I actually couldn't believe the lack of selection at Academy. They had tons of blender bottles for protein shakes, but only two water bottles. DH thinks I'm being way too picky.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Sorry haven't got long I'm dashing to work as usual but as I didn't post yesterday wanted to mark a spot to aim for when I catch up with the posts tonight.

I'm not doing too bad in the declutter department, starting to make a headway. If only I could say the same about my diet!

Catch up with you later <3