WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Betty ROC wow, you've been to 44 states! That's a lot of travel compared to me. When I retire from teaching I would like to have a snowbird place, that way I can live in the northeast for Fall, Late Spring and Summer and somewhere much warmer for November through April. Big dreams, little money.... :s .
    I know that I need culture, and people and concerts, and ocean, so we may end up in Charleston, SC or Brevard, NC or Gulf Coast of Florida but that is many many moons away from now and you just never know what is ahead
  • klanders30
    Options
    Karen from NY :/
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    BarbieCat - I just hope they were 'correct'. May be a 1000 words: but, I do try to 'paint' a picture. LOL[/quote]

I guess I get lost trying to post to individual people - the messy to organized area - looks great! :p I hope to do the same with more than just 1 room; ,started is the hardest thing. Thought my DOGD was to come over while home from college to work off money she had gotten for Christmas loan; I was going to tell her to declutter the bathroom as if it were her own. She's one that likes very little exposed. I'd have to watch what she puts in a box (to put out in the shed along with my silver and silver plate I don't use often).

When birthday and anniversaries fall on the same day, do you get 2 presents? Husband and I get one 'biggie' for Christmas to cover all birthdays anniversaries, and other days you normally give presents. We have not decided on what to get. I'm thinking a new DVD player. Tried to watch one last night, it hung up on the page after the 'loading' one; got DOS's copy and it did the same. No reason that the same DVD rented from 2 different places would hang up in the same spot. Got to wait until we have the $$$ for one.

After the first fraudulent purchase on my cc, SunTrust did remove it while they were investigating the first one; and, issued one new credit card with a new ### after they closed the account. That made me start documenting purchases I have made; either always keeping the receipts or as in this case keeping the emails that went back-and-forth as documentation when I get the paperwork to dispute it. Was told I'd get some paperwork to fill out; on the first one - only received a letter - but since it showed up with only a website and no way to contact someone in Beijing, China - they took that one off and would investigate. This time I told her I was ordering something; but not getting the discount from the $149.99 to the advertised price of $19.99. She told me they would investigate; but, not issue a new card (unless it was necessary). At the moment I am comfortable with that. I also cancelled the prices with groupon.com. This was the only time I had had problems with groupon.com. Obviously, those were coming directly from them. A manger scene I got to finish out the pieces I was missing; that had been discontinued by the store it was purchased at. The knock-off Fitbit; and, I returned that and it has been tracked and is on its way back to them. I expect that it will be credited by the my card within the next 2 statement months.

I'm just glad that my SunTrust calls about unusual purchases. She told me the next time I went out of state, to call them and tell them and any unusual charges made during that time in the 'area' where I am' they' know that I probably made it and if it was something I was trying to charge, it would not get denied. It they had been able to reach me the first time, it would have been denied; which it should have been as it would have probably put me over the limit and this one had. Because I am on a 'fixed' income a 'minimum' payment of $245+/- was something I can't really pay at this time. Hopefully, by the time the payment is due, DH will have enough to pay it. I think he paid some or all of his bills last night. Things like this prevent us from buying a door for the glassed-in porch we had redone to replace a screen-in porch that we did not use because it faces west. The glass is reflective on the outside. I still think I will put sheers up to help block it anyway. DH put up some plastic on the door so that the few (but heavy) plants I had moved in there would not freeze.

Friday I made a dish from a recipe that I thought I had surely lost. Good; and I only ate a cup full; put the rest in portions of a cup into the freezer. This time I marked it with what it was and when I put it in there. Last time I made a delicious "Spicy Bean Soup" and only ate a cup of it, too. Saved some for supper tonight with the rice already put in it, what little bit I had left over. Put the rest in 2 smaller containers; but, big enough to re-heat for supper and enough to feed both DH and me. One of the things I need to declutter is my kitchen and the freezer (in the computer room); which also needs to be de-cluttered); bath, closet and drawers.

The first thing I need to do is get a couple of 'transaction books' and re-enter those things (check and deposits) in it to see if I can 'finally' balance it. Been 3 months since I have been able to do so; and I usually can do so down to the penny. GGrrr. I've WAY OFF, too; I'm going to see if the local banks will give them to me; otherwise, I'll have to drive into town. YUK. Might wait until tomorrow since I go for my weigh-in then. That would make more sense, instead of riding out 50 miles of gas.

Happy start of the working week!

Lenora a/k/a "GRITSandSLUTS
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Karen from NY -
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Hi, I am Karen from NY, I am a music teacher of 25 years, have a daughter about to graduate from H.S. My husband and I share the same b-day so we got married on that day, that way nobody forgets anniversary!

This made me laugh. Every year my parents would have the same argument where Mom insisted they were married on May 11 and Dad would insist they were married on May 15. When I was 15 the annual argument started and I spoke up and said "It's May 13." Dad asked "How would you know? You weren't even there." I replied "You do this every year and you always take off your wedding band to learn that it was May 13." "That can't possibly be right." muttered Dad as he took off his ring. They never did remember their anniversary date, but from that point on each of them would come to me and ask what the date was.

What is even funnier is that I swore I would always remember my wedding date when I got married. Neither DH nor I can remember and we were not smart enough to engrave my rings with the date. One year I called a friend and asked her when I got married. There was a long pause and she finally said "That was the day Stacy was born. Remember, we didn't make it to your wedding." "I know" I replied. "What day is Stacy's birthday?"

Mia from MI

• klanders30
    Options
    Mia too funny! We really do like telling people of our shared b-day, anniversary, it usually takes them a beat to register. We are going on 19 years this month! We eloped to city hall and yes, we did bring both of our mothers as witnesses and that was plenty for us. Simple and happy!
    Karen from NY
  • miakoda40
    Options
    Tawnya -
    Hi. I'm new here and just started with this app on 1/7/16. I have 80 or so pounds to lose. Has anybody but me considered bariatric surgery, specifically the sleeve?

There are at least 3 of us who have had bariatric surgery. I had Roux-en-Y (gastric bypass) in Feb. 2014. I will eventually get around to writing up an introduction for myself and that will be part of my story but the bottom line is that I have lost 140 lbs. and am still working on losing a bit more. I am active in a bariatric surgery support group so even though I haven't had the sleeve, I know many people who have and am able to speak to the differences between sleeve and bypass. The one thing I caution people about with surgery is that it is only an additional tool in your arsenal. Now, getting full before you've eaten a lot is a very powerful tool, but you still have to do the same work everyone here is doing. Track your food, make healthy food choices and exercise. If you want to discuss surgery as an option I would be happy to answer your questions "back channel". Send me a friend request and ask away.

Mia in MI

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Karen, there is a couple at my church that share the same birthday and got married on that day. They were also born in the same hospital!

Lots of potential in that "before" group of photos. I concur- it looks like a lovely room with lots of storage and good light! I liked the painted furniture too.

I woke up with terrible joint pain in my hips. I don't know what made the arthritis flare- I didn't do anything but my normal routine all weekend. Maybe it is the bitter cold/ wind changing directions every day. I had to soak in my hot tub to even get dressed and in the car for PT. We just did stretches and massage today. I am taking it easy in between light chores. And I did do my arm workout while soaking my hips in the heat. It hurts to sit, even.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Celtikgirl ... Welcome! You're going to fit right in!

Mia ... No trees had me boondoggled as well!

Well ... We definitely have snow today. I've been out once and will not be going out again. No visibility and the lake is just dumping us with snow. Unfortunately, now my husband had to cancel a men's meeting he was having here at the house tonight and I have a carrot cake staring at me! I do not think it will freeze well, but in the freezer it is going! The house, on the other hand, is nice and tidy since I do my best decluttering when company is expected! :smiley:

Beth near Buffalo

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    RRRRRRRRRRRRRROooooooooooooooooooooLLLLLLLLLLLLLL TTTTTTTTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEE!!!!!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    We rented a DVD from the place that we always do .... would NOT play; son had rented the same movie through Nexfix; and brought it over for us to watch. It would not work; got a credit on the first one, so he rented it again; still won't work. Pissy, pissy, pissy, pissy, pissy! I keep telling him that it 'has to be the player'; but, he insists that other movies play on it; but, I reminded him that they usually always 'stick' especially at the best places. Guess we'll see if we get a 'new' player soon. I don't look forward to the contortions we will have to go through to plug it up inside a corner cabinet. Maybe it won't be as hard as I am thinking it'll be. Who knows; might be a good time to dust the inside (if I can get DH to hold the components that got hooked up by a TV installer. Don't really want to have to call them again. Too expensive but was the only way to get things hooked up without all the wiring showing. When we get a small flat screen to go out in the glassed-in porch I hope to get a couple more outlets put in there and see if they can put one up behind the TV. We're going to get an arm to make it swing.

Son is now over to see if he can get any DVD to playing; so far ... nothing.
  • miakoda40
    Options
    Penny -
    Lagopus wrote: »
    OK, those of you who are on the BLT Challenge (sounds like a sandwich!) I'm on team YELLOW. smiley-gen013.gif Yay Yellow!

Mia - Yes, I can tell your mind is boggling all over the place! Iceland is great and Svalbard is great - for people of a certain disposition. These places are so extreme I'm convinced you either love them or hate them. Nothing in between. C'mon over and I'll show you around!

Pout. Whine Sniffle. I cannot open the BLC spreadsheet on my work computer. Guess I'll have to wait until tonight to see if I am on a team with any of my 50+ pals.

I loved Iceland the 2 times I was there. However, I don't want to live there. Too danged cold. I suspect I will love Svalbard as well. I find your pictures delightful and it definitely has a beauty that is all it's own. I strongly suspect I don't want to live there either. As I get older more temperate climates are sending out a siren song. While Iceland is too cold, FL is too hot. I'm looking for just right. Call me Goldilocks.

Mia in MI

P.S. I just noticed I said that I will love Svalbard not that I would love Svalbard. Guess I have subconsciously placed it on my "places to visit someday" list.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. Well I haven't been much of a friend lately. Today I am teaching from 8-5 with this short break so I thought I would jump in now and say hi, I imagine when I get home I am going to pass out! Take care all. I'll try to do better. Meg from Omaha
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Lenora~ My saying is we are all nudists under our clothes.

I grew up in a household that was quite shy? I can't think of any other word. My mother practically dressed in her closet, and I never saw my father naked. In fact I had no clue about the facts of life that when I first got my period I announced at the dinner table, "Well now since I have eggs, I can just wish it and make a baby". Of course my father literally choked on his dinner and looked at my mom and said,"You need to have a chat with Becky".....So I'm studying my spelling words and my mother comes in and tells me, and I remember just saying, "What?....oh that is just stupid.....you are jokiing!"

I also have a cool tee-shirt Lenora! It is from the. AANR site (stands for American Association for Nude Recreation). It says, 'Garden Naked, it puts sun on your cheeks". That was fun to wear around town and see peoples brains as they read it. Hahahaha!

Yesterday was a perfect day, ate all my meals I had said I would, drank all the water I said I would, and felt really great going to bed. Of course I started coughing so I slept on the recliner again. We all went to bed at 8:30 PM because we had to get up early to take son to a bus at 5:45 AM to go on a field trip. So I was up at 11, and 2, and at 4 AM.....not fun. We dropped him off and then went on to the gym. I did some circuit training, but we couldn't go on the treadmills because two people were already on them. We didn't go in the pool either because that was crowded. So we came home and "burned some calories" (and probably annoyed our neighbor who had a day off and was sleeping in). Afterwards I admitted to my husband, "I like field trips!"

Supposed to rain all week.....
    Becca

• Annr
    Options
    Michele in NC I'll be your ray of sunshine but I need to find the blasted yellow orb...right now its only liquid sunshine pouring down on meeeee.... (yes I sang that!!) I sometimes play with my makeup that I do have, (leftover from Halloween) but to me I look like a sexy raccoon! Thank God my husband doesn't require me to wear makeup like my middle sisters' first husband did. What pressure! I put on chap stick and my husband says, "You made yourself up"....I can be so low maintenance its hilarious!
    (hugs)
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Mia
    P.S. I just noticed I said that I will love Svalbard not that I would love Svalbard. Guess I have subconsciously placed it on my "places to visit someday" list.
    Ha! First thing I noticed! We'll make a northerner of you yet. :p

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    ltssharon wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    hjw7yr2zkwlf.jpeg

This will now b for sale

Why are you selling? So cute. what year miles, what is broken, etc, price?
    ltssharon wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    hjw7yr2zkwlf.jpeg

This will now b for sale

Why are you selling? So cute. what year miles, what is broken, etc, price?

Why? - planning strategy, getting up for retirement. Just bought a 2008 bug, instead of putting the $ into that one, we got one that is ready.

Year- 1971

Price: we took it to a shop that has done workfor us before and said after we clean it up, like wax, etc he aid we could get $3500.00 easy for it.

Broken- not sure what u mean by "broken" it runs, he just put disc brakes on it instead of the kind of breakers they normally come with. It is starting to rust in some spots. U will always want to replace the bumpers which are cheap. Actually he bought some parts but is now going to return them because we're not going to keep it like we thought.

So the sell of this one will help pay for the one we got
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Sylvia - I am so sorry that you dropped your computer! I just dropped my iPhone and busted my OtterBox! I would say that your computer is probably a lot more expensive to replace :'(

DJ - i'm so excited for you going on a cruise! Is there anybody else you could bring with you?

Terri - I am so proud of you! There should be a class on how to behave at athletic events.

Katla - I came to love the eighth graders as well! They have a lot of energy in our very fun to work with. They really are just big kindergartners! You're very dedicated to exercise even with your wrist. You're very inspirational!

Penny - Beautiful flowers! It's amazing what will grow in areas that you would think nothing would.

Lenora - my DH just got notified that his credit card was compromised. He had to cut his up and is waiting for his new one. In the meantime he can still use mine. At least they are catching it before we get charged for merchandise that we did not get it.

Mia - I love the story about your parents anniversary! Now it is running in the family LOL!

Miriam - I hope the pain in your hips is nothing! Sometimes the cold does make my joints ache.

Becca - congratulations on a perfect day yesterday! I hope your cough goes away and you feel better.

Pip - I love your VW!

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Annr
    Options
    Well my turn to do this bio thing. I started this MFP 290 days ago, because that is what my husbands daily counter thingy is up to. He logs in his food daily too. I however took a break in October because I had both Navy sons, and a new daughter-in-law to uber spoil and fuss over when they visited. So my counter went back to zero, shucks.

So my name is Becca, and I am married 32 years this Sept to a great guy. We have 3 sons, 26, 21, and 17 yrs old. My two oldest are active Navy, and my husband is a Retired Navy Petty Officer. He did his 20 yrs, and there are days that I still miss the moving every 4 yrs. We were stationed for two tours in Japan (7 yrs for me, and 9 for him). He did a tour "pre-me" with his first wife. My husband is a liver transplant survivor. I am still coping with the whole "I'm not a caregiver anymore and now a wife" feeling.

I have always been a bit on the heavy side. I remember being 170 when I got married, but with low self-esteem issues I thought I was HUGE. My highest weight was 265 in 2008, joined Jenny Craig and got down to 179. I did it all via the internet, and a weekly phone call from my Jenny Craig consultant. After awhile I just started lying to her about what my weight was. Meanwhile I was spending $400 a month on food. I have a lot of guilt about that, because the weight didn't stay off.

I am presently 236.4 and even though I need to lose a lot, I feel like I am in more control than when I was at 179, feeling clueless and not present in anything I was doing. After my husband got his transplant, it sparked our marriage ten-fold. I saw how much he wanted to get better and be my husband, and a father. I started living an honest life, just because I was so grateful he chose US. When I was his caregiver mentally I wasn't the best wife to put it simply. I truly thought once he got better it would be over for us, but he fought for me, (something I had always wished he would do) and now, we are like two new people in love...(drives my 17 yr old son crazy)... So now I can actually picture us as two old people walking hand in hand (something I could never picture!) So that is my story.
    Becca
    mentally an open book....I am a Gemini
    in Oregon