WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Megblair: It is good to see you, if only for a moment. :flowerforyou:

Becca: Glad you & DH enjoyed the "fieldtrip." :devil:

Terri: Chasing down criminals is exciting and macho but not very safe. I'm glad he's okay. Your post gave me an idea that I may pass on to Apple and the phone company, and that is to build in a feature that will disable a stolen phone if the legal owner reports it. I'll bet they could do that with a little thought. If would make phone theft useless and perhaps it would be curtailed. :flowerforyou:

Janetr: How was the stagecoach ride? Great picture! :flowerforyou:

Carol in NC: I felt bad about David Bowie, too. I hoe you're feeling better tomorrow. :flowerforyou:

Yoga today was taught by my least favorite teacher. She may be the only person on earth who turns yoga into calisthenics. Luckily the other two teachers are much better. Tomorrow I plan to go to Zumba with my neighbor. While she zumbas, I'll be upstairs using the recumbent cycle to burn calories. I'm not able to use a spin bike yet. It requires too much arm use.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Donna, what a CUTIE! Look at that sweet little face! I bet she's fun to cuddle. What is her name?

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    4dewkc78bf6k.jpeg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Did about 5 minutes of the Butt Lift DVD, held my plank for 2 min 47 seconds (one more second!), will take the extremepump class.

The plan for tomorrow is to do some stepping on the AMT at the Y. How I wish they still had that rolling stairstepper! It was so great. Instead they....oh, it's not worth discussing

I forgot to mention what caused me to lose weight. My daughter (she's 30 now, I'm not old enought for this....lol) was going to the prom and someone took a picture of the backside of me. For one thing, I was wearing these horizontal stripes on my shirt. But I was so big!!!! I couldn't get over that that's how I really looked. That's the day I decided that I didn't want to look so huge. I had been exercising 3 times a week then increased it to 5 days/week. Then we moved and I never got back into the schedule. Well, that picture of me made me go back to the gym 3 times/week to start. Then I increased it to 5 times/week. I still took the weekends off. I was so good about eating but I'd throw caution to the wind on the weekends. Eventually, it got to the point where I couldn't wait for Sundays to be over so I could go back to decent eating. Then I just threw caution to the wind on Saturdays. Eventually, I began watching what I ate even on Saturdays. Now I do it all the time. but it was baby steps all the way.

DLS - I wish someone would tell me to gain weight, too. Only problem is...I probably wouldn't have any problem at all int he world putting it on....lol

Beth - a friend of mine's son has cp. He's in a theater group. He did some work with this lady who does dance. I tell you, there was a documentary about him. You could see how at first he was walking "gangly". then he started working with this lady. Now he puts his heels down when he takes a step. As a matter of fact, I happened to be in the hallway getting ready to see this movie and he came to talk to someone else in line. I would never in my wildest dreams have thought that he had cp. Never. You have so much to deal with.

Joyce in SD - your cake that you made reminded me of the first cake I ever made. I guess I was probably around 14 or so. My mother had passed and my father and I lived in an apartment. He didn't want me to use electrical appliances (but putting the oven on was OK -- go figure!). Anyway, I beat the batter by hand and then put it into the cake pans. The cakes didn't rise practically at all. I wanted the cake to look nice so I put A LOT of frosting in the middle and on the outside. And I do mean A LOT. Actually,, when we cut into the cake and took a piece out, there was so much frosting that it oozed into the opening where the piece was that I took out. My father was the same way as your mother, he choked a piece of it down. I honestly think he threw the rest of the cake away. As to baking for dh -- it's the raw cookie dough or cake batter or brownie batter that gets to me. Once it's cooked, it really doesn't bother me to not have it. And if I do have some, I just have a little. Some people can't do that, but a small piece is enough for me. If I ever let Vince do the cooking, I know what his idea of three square meals would be -- Breakfast at Waffle House, lunch at Burger King, dinner at McDonalds. He would vary the menu by sometimes switching Burger King and McDonalds with places like Five Guys, Pizza Hut, KFC, etc.

ivk - what a wonderful plan to take a pic. But once a week might not show you results as evidentally as once a month. But so many women are so disappointed that they didn't take a "before" pic.

Welcome everyone new!

Barb from MA - Panera Bread to MFP -- how did that happen? I'm glad it did, tho

celtikgirl - Cocoa Beach half marathon. Are you in FL? Good luck in your run

Sylvia - so sorry about your puter

DJ - Vince so many times has said "I think you're turning vegetarian" (not that there's anything wrong with it). It's just that I love my vegetables. when the Newcomers had their holiday party, my dish was about 3/4 veges (no sauce) and a tiny piece of meat. My dessert (while everyone else was having cheesecake and truffles) was more veges. The one thing I've found sometimes when ordering a salad is that they put things on it that are not listed in their list of ingredients, like a cheese. When this happens, I've been known to send the salad back (much to Vince's dismay). Where will you be going on your cruise, and for how long?

klanders - check on the humidity in FL if you're planning to move there. That's about the thing that I dislike most about FL. The weather is nice, but it can feel cold because where we are is so humid.

Mia - we were lucky in that a relative of Vince's made us a placque with the date of our anniversary on it. You have no idea how many times over the years I've referred to it!

Meg - so glad you popped in

Exercised, then picked up a friend's flash drive. She got the last episode of Downton Abbey. I'm dying to find out what happens to Edith. All Dianne would say is "every thing works out". Then came home, Vince copied the flash drive onto my flash drive, then senior bowling (boy, is my handicap going up), stopped at CVS just to get soda on sale, now home. Vince says that he won't go to ceramics tonight because he doesn't want to get too far ahead of me. HUH???? Well, I guess he also wants to work on taking down the Christmas decorations.

Tonight we're having mahjongg at my house. The gal whose house we usually have it at is remodeling her bathroom.

Karen from NY - being from NJ and having gone to school in NY, I can tell you that NY'ers are NOT wimps about snow. Now come to NC!!!! Even just the slighest hint that there might just be a snowflake, and everything shuts down. Literally. Schools are closed for days on end. And we're just talking about the mere mention of snow, not that it's here.

Donna in WV - DETAILS girl, how sweet of your daughter. A few years ago my daughters gave me a cat. I kept saying over and over "I don't want a kitten". But there's no way I'd trade him. Update: what a sweetie!

NCCarol - Vince had cataract surgery and I don't remember him talking about much pain. I will say, that the next day when they took the bandage off, his first comment was "when can we do the other eye?" Good luck to you. Feel better fast

Michele in NC
  • trublutopaz
    trublutopaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Fun trip with my husband to visit the new Daiso store and then a trip to 99 Ranch. It's so much fun to visit these stores. So many different veggies and foods. We bought some beautiful shrimps. They had some lovely Red Snapper too, which I will come back and get to grill when it gets warmer. It was just such a delightful afternoon. I'm caught up on my work and this week seems so much more relaxed than last week. Here's hoping everyone else is having a happy start to the work week as well.
  • sweetnsouthernsass
    sweetnsouthernsass Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! I'm a little overwhelmed trying to keep up with you fast ladies! What an awesome group! Thanks for the advice on eating out. Good advice for sure. Another late night for me. Had a great day, stayed on plan, went to the gym and had a great workout. Of course my workout made me hungry. Guess I'll go grab an apple.

Donna, your puppy is soooo cute!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    Karen from NY -
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Hi, I am Karen from NY, I am a music teacher of 25 years, have a daughter about to graduate from H.S. My husband and I share the same b-day so we got married on that day, that way nobody forgets anniversary!

This made me laugh. Every year my parents would have the same argument where Mom insisted they were married on May 11 and Dad would insist they were married on May 15. When I was 15 the annual argument started and I spoke up and said "It's May 13." Dad asked "How would you know? You weren't even there." I replied "You do this every year and you always take off your wedding band to learn that it was May 13." "That can't possibly be right." muttered Dad as he took off his ring. They never did remember their anniversary date, but from that point on each of them would come to me and ask what the date was.

What is even funnier is that I swore I would always remember my wedding date when I got married. Neither DH nor I can remember and we were not smart enough to engrave my rings with the date. One year I called a friend and asked her when I got married. There was a long pause and she finally said "That was the day Stacy was born. Remember, we didn't make it to your wedding." "I know" I replied. "What day is Stacy's birthday?"

Mia from MI

My DD's birthday is April 14; her DH's birthday is September 14, and there anniversary is July 14. My Son-in-law likes to joke that he has the days down pat if he can just remember the months!

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options
    xfkfrpeij6yv.jpeg

Nite peeps and new peeps
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    night night Pip!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Carol NC - I'm sorry that you are going through such pain. I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow.

Betty - I can't wait to be a snow bird! We're getting close too. I'm glad you made it to the Y!

Donna - beautiful puppy! How old is she? I just got a 6 week old German Shepard at Christmas and he is a lot of fun but a lot of work too!

Sylvia - love the inspiration message.

Michele - it was nice to hear how you started exercising. I felt the same way. I couldn't believe that I looked like I did. I didn't even know how I got there.

Have a great night everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    stats for the day:
    Ride hm 2 gym- 16.36min, 146mhr, 12.9amph, 1st ride w/Kirby, 3mi = 153c
    Spin- 31min, 94ar, 103aw, 128ahr, 149mhr, 9-15g, 14.3mi = 291c
    Ride gym 2 dome- 6.39min, 11amph, 136mhr, 11amph = 76c
    Ride dome 2 hm- 21.11min, 7.6amph, 150mhr, 2.6mi = 234c
    total cal 755

abbreviations

ahr = average heart rate
    mhr = maximum heart rate
    mi = miles
    ar = average revolutions -how fast i'm pedaling per minute
    aw = average watts -how much power i'm putting out per minute
    g or ag = average gear -on spin bike, they are 1-24
    c = calories

Wow, impressive, as always. Don't think I've done that much in the last two weeks all together. You're the bomb.

Janetr okc
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,973 Member
    Options
    t2002.gif Lillian, you asked about the graphics I post.....here are a few guidelines that might get you started:

http://www.freesmileys.org/

http://www.glitter-graphics.com/

http://yoursmiles.org/

These are three sites I've used to find graphics for my posts. Each one of them is a little different in the way you find the graphic you want and how you copy and paste the code onto your post.

On free smileys you copy and paste the "forum" code
    On glitter graphics you copy and paste the BB code
    On yoursmiles you click on the smiley and a code shows up above the smileys and you copy and paste that code.

Try out one of the sites and see how it works.

smiley-cool05.gifBarbie
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Heather, how funny that no one there makes Haggis, as when I googled it here, I got a bunch of recipes – but then I don’t think any place sells it here.

Newbies! Welcome

Becca – your story about learning about the birds and the bees makes me smile. My mom has yet to tell me, her quote is: “You don’t need to know that stuff until you are getting married”

Donna – what a cute pup!!!

I really enjoy reading the bios – some I had forgot, some I had not known… thank you!

Kim from N. California
  • janetr7476
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Donna in WV - Adorable, what a heart stealer. :)

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon - thank you, unfortunately, it was non-functioning. Many western movies were filmed here, one with Elvis, "Charro", and a whole bunch of old western TV series. It was fun to see.

Janetr okc - currently in the old "wild west"
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Sylvia, enjoyed the picture, thanks for sharing. Thot of you today when visiting a pottery shop in a "ghost town". Certainly gives me a great appreciation of your talent.

Janetr okc
  • Annr
    Options
    Kim from N. California- haha.....When I was to get married, my mom set me aside to talk to me heart to heart... She asked me if I had my trousseau (a drawer with lacy things) hahaha. I said that I was ordering some, she looked me straight in the eye and with a serious face said, "Well, they don't stay on for very long". Um great wise words there Mom... heeheee... She was priceless like that... One liners you just can't fake that...
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Oh my son got home from a long day! No his field trip wasn't to Portland, it was to SEATTLE to a museum that was doing "popular visual arts" which is the class he is taking. So 4 hrs drive up, 2-3 hrs at museum and lunch, then 4 hours home. AAAck....I would have bugged out, traveling that long without more out of the car time!
    Kids are tough though!
    Becca
  • suzannejanewilkinson
    Options
    New to the group
    Want to stop eating like a
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    Cute puppy pics! Good day today. Started on the Avalanche for thirty minutes. All I did was unbury 70 folded paper bags w handles from whole foods and gather them up neatly in three bundles, move all the folded shipping boxes together clear a space for the bags by folding and piling up about thirty tablecloths that had tipped and become jumbled. Tomorrow I am going to think of Heather? Who says be ruthless when culling! And narrow down the tablecloths especially considering I already have a large drawer of them in my hutch AND have probably used three in the last five years. And do another thirty minutes. We'd Thursday fri I don't work and can do a couple sessions each day and I suspect that will find the room greatly improved. Also went for a walk around my smallest loop for the first time in about a year. It's only 1.3 miles but has some huge hills. It took me half an hour. I remember it taking as little as 15 to 20 minutes...but that was probably ten years and forty pounds ago. It's a start. I'm actually kind of proud of myself! Changed my bed linens and decided I needed to make a habit of making and clearing my bed each day. Haven't gotten to the bottom of the dishes yet and I've done to loads in two days. Just pots and pans left. But a bunch. My daughter offered to catch up on them tomorrow.
    Barbie I meant to tell you your illumination of the difference between goals and resolutions gave me pause. Will think more on it.

I think Meditation might be a good thing for me to revisit. I know a few of u recently posted sights to aid in this but would u mind posting them again?

Still contemplating what to put in a bio. Love reading everyone's. Great idea Sylvia!

Going to prepare for bed. Have a restorative sleep everyone!

Love

Boston Mindy