WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm having a bit of a hard time staying on track this week so I decided to look at some old pictures to see how far I've come. I thought I would share.
    asc887ihuc5b.jpeg

The picture on the left was taken about 2 years ago at probably close to my heaviest and the picture on the right was this summer modeling a thrift store find. I'm about 7 lbs. lighter now.
    Posting these pictures is really a huge deal for me, I'm a really private person and don't post pictures of myself on the Internet. I don't even have a Facebook account. But you are my friends and I thought it was time you knew who you were talking to.

Chris in MA
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,146 Member
    Options
    Chris - You look fantastic! I love your purple dress! Very flattering! I hope you feel better soon!

Tracie - I have a German Shepherd puppy. He will be 9 weeks old tomorrow.

Have a great night everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Tracie in Green Bay....I also decided that morning exercise would be best for me because "stuff" always gets in the way after work, but I'm not a morning person. I signed up for a 6 am exercise class last summer and began "training" to get up that early. I got up 5 minutes earlier every day and got on my elliptical until I was getting up on time and ready to exercise every morning. The class has been over for many months but I still get up at 5:15am every weekday morning and get on my elliptical. This is one of the best habits I've incorporated in my life. Hope this helps a bit.

Chris in MA who has to get some sleep because 5:15 comes quickly
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Tracie: are you a packer backer? I love the packs!!!
    Chris: You look great, be proud!!!
    Pip: Any news on the puppy??
    Mary: It's cold we have a heat wave of 14 above tomorrow.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Mary in MN: love German Shepherds! Nice!

Chris in MA: thanks for the tip. Maybe just starting with not hitting the snooze button and then getting up 5 minutes earlier in baby steps will help. If I don't exercise in the morning, it won't get done. Great ideas there. Thank you!

17761776: You know it! I live just blocks from Lambeau field and am a huge Packer fan!

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Chris: you look fantastic!!! Just adorable in that dress!!!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies, although it is 12:30 AM. This is my usual habit, stay up until 2 AM, get up around 11 or so. Not a particularly good habit.

Love all the pictures of all your babies. I have many on my computer if I could just figure what I am doing wrong. I did it about a week ago but not since then. I will try to resize my profile pic.

Love all the new faces we have now. So many more ideas of what works and what doesn't and more people to tell about my wonderful grand children!!!!

Charlie saw the hand surgeon today. We saw him middle of December and he was trying to get things moving alone so he could have surgery in December when it wouldn't cost him anything. We liked that about him. Some how we were able to get a neurologist appointment the following day to do his nerve conduction study to determine if it was carpal tunnel syndrome. It was faxed to his office and that was the last we heard of him. We called his office and they said they hadn't gotten neurologist findings. Called them several times and answer the same. Neurologist office says they sent it. I know realize who was the truth. We called yesterday to see when in the world he was going to be seen. They made an appointment for today. Saw him and he read the nerve conduction study for the first time. They have some problems in their office. The guy is pretty overweight and looks slovenly, he examined his hand again and said yeah looks like you need surgery, my nurse will set it up. Goodby hand doctor. It's just an ill run office. But everyone says they have wonderful results from him. Ony problem we see with surgery is that he has to be off his blood thinner for 12 days! :o I know that Lovenox can be given in place of the pills but that means sticking a shot in your belly and his belly is sore enough. He has been very uncomfortable tonight, a lot of unrelieved burning throughout his whole abdomen. And his incontinence has increased. I would imagine the poor guy needs to have another colonoscopy. He has another infusion scheduled next Monday and he hates them. He spends a lot of the time in the bathroom next door. Poor guy, has the urgem the pain. He just can't have the bowel movement then he goes onto living his life and spoosh, there it comes. OK, maybe to much information for some of you. To the newbies here, my husband had enjoyed wonderful health then had heart attack, 4 stents, irregular heart beat (atrial fib), Parkinson's, sever ulcerative colitis, meningitis all in a 2 year. The ulcerative colitis has been a monster, physically and financially. We loved to travel,now we can't go the 300 miles to see our daughter. Me with the multiple sclerosis is now the healthy strong one.

I signed up for freecycle but the last post on it was Dec 13th so it doesn't look very active. I looked at out neighboring county since we live right down the road from it and it is even less active. Charlie isn't comfortable with me going to meet some one or having some one come here.

Joyce, Indiana
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    I went to the RV Park fitness center this afternoon and walked for 40 minutes on the treadmill and later walked the dogs. . No one was there when I finished so "pulled up my big girl panties" and got on the scale. I was thrilled, after having a sinus infection fof three weeks over Thanksgiving, shingles over Christmas, plus nine house guests for four nights for Christmas holiday, leaving two days later in motorhome for a month in AZ and now fighting a head cold for over two weeks, all of which led to very little exercise and over eating; I am only up three pounds from what I weighed at the bariatric surgeons office in July.

You beautiful ladies are my inspiration and motivation to keep on keeping on. Love you all.

Janetr okc
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am just getting real peeved at myself.. I havent really made any attempt to get moving except at work.
    I am trying to eat well.. but sugar is still haunting me.
    I want to eat clean and get more exercise in.. and cant find the motivation..
    I have to get blood work done for the kidney Dr and waiting to hear if the money is in the account ,as our insurance has changed we only have an HSA now and it has a huge deductible...
    having a cup of tea... and I did download a meditation app on my phone, and tried that this morning... I will try and carve out time every morning to meditate and hope that that gets me in a right frame of mind to get moving..
  • relater2000
    relater2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

• DLS1029
    DLS1029 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Barbie - haha! Love the pictures......I think we all think alike!

Lenora - Check this out on creating a recipe on MFP. I've done it lots of times and it really makes it convenient for tracking calories. I found this on MFP's help section. You can also import a recipe, like from allrecipes.com Hope this helps!

To get started:

On the Web​

English-speaking web-site users should see instructions for our Recipe Importer tool. Instructions are here.

This new tool allows you to log a recipe just by entering the web address (URL) of a recipe from your favorite recipe website. Or, you can paste or type a list of ingredients, and we’ll match the list to items in our database!

In addition to speeding up the recipe input process, the new Recipe Importer offers other advantages over our classic web recipe tool, such as the ability to edit the quantity of an ingredient in an existing recipe. You can find it on the web by clicking “Food” then “Recipes”

Our original recipe tool is currently available to non-English users of the MyFitnessPal site.

Click “Food” then “Recipes” then “Enter New Recipe.” Enter a name for the recipe, and specify the number of servings it produces. In our Mobile apps
    We have begun to roll out our new recipe importer tool for iOS and Android users. If the instructions below do not match your experience in the app, please see this article about the new tool

Begin the steps to add an item to your diary, select a meal, then select the “Recipes” tab, scroll down, and tap “Create New Recipe”

Select “Add Ingredient” and search for the first ingredient in your recipe. If available on your device, Mobile app users may scan barcodes to find ingredients.

Be sure to adjust the “number of servings” of each ingredient to reflect how much of the item you are using in the entire recipe. Once all of the ingredients are entered, save the recipe. The recipe will now be available in the “Recipes” tab tab when you add food to any meal.

If you’re not sure how many servings a recipe will produce, enter a best-guess number when you first create the recipe.

After the recipe is cooked, you can evaluate the number of servings that have been produced. Then, the recipe can be edited and the correct number of servings can be entered. This article contains additional information on editing recipes.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)

Thanks for comments on the pom. He is 6 yrs old and named after the main character on NCIS (Dh's doing).

Carol
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Hang in, Allie - I know that, for me, the Fitbit has been a great motivator. When I looked at my Charge HR last night and saw I only had about 9,000 steps in, I just started walking around inside the house, over and over again. Makes my husband giggle... but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ gotta be done.

JanetR - glad you're glad about the three pounds, and know EXACTLY what you mean by that.

Chris in MA - you look aMAYzing, and should very much be proud of yourself... well done!

The plan is to stay in town the next couple nights, then home on Friday morning after I work out, then the husband and I will be going into town Saturday to watch a couple country musicians, so I can write a review for the paper. He has said he would, but may yet bail. :wink:

Off to town - work out first, then go back to the gym bag I'm designing on the fly, and nearly finished with. Then I have to take it and make a template out of it.

Love y'all... happy Wednesday, and good luck to those who have "invested" in the PowerBall... fun to dream about such things, you know?

Lisa in West Texas - who has to go get the truck started so it can warm up. It's 33 degrees out there! :hushed:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,620 Member
    Options
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Tracie in Green Bay With all your body has been through, it just needs to be loved! I'm sorry to hear of the pain you've been through. You brought up an interesting question, though, about medications that cause weight gain (or impede weight loss). I am on a medication that has a side-effect of weight gain and I am always stumped by what my calorie intake should be to lose weight. If I stay with the recommended 1500 calories a day, I don't lose. However, if I drop below that, then I'm afraid I'm in that nebulous area of not eating enough and slowing the metabolism. I can't blame it all on the medications, genetics and menopause. I have some bad habits to overcome. But it certainly doesn't help. I know when I started a new medication about 10 years ago I gained 15 lbs. in 3 months, so I know it has an effect.
    I'd be interested in hearing from people that have dealt with weight loss and medications.

Kimses in MA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Chris in MA, you are adorable! What an incredible difference between the two photos!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,294 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Kimses and Tracie - I put on a lot of weight with my cancer treatment. I was on anti oestrogen medication for 5 years. However, I was on the last year of it when I started my "diet" and it didn't inhibit the weight loss. In fact, I lost the most at the beginning, averaging over a pound a week. I was just eating far, far too much.
    I log every day, but because I am now so experienced I can take shortcuts, adding up values in my head and using "Quick Add Calories". If it's a complicated recipe I jot it down on paper before entering it. I don't recommend this method for beginners and at the beginning I was meticulous about looking everything up. I always weigh my food so the total is accurate.

Did some writing this morning. o:) Haven't rung the mobile phone company yet. Nor replied to my difficult friend. I can be an ostrich. My school report said, "Heather should not procrastinate so much." Hmmmmmm. :*;)

Going to prepare tonight's curry first, using the left over guinea fowl, chick peas and a sweet potato.

Love to all. Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    well went and fed DFIL , Judy the cook that serves the meals says he hasnt been eating much,so she loads him up with mashed potatoes(one of his favorites) also just stopped at the nursing home closest to us and asked about the waiting list again.. I did all the paperwork in October, and it is now January... Social worker said she would get back to me by end of day...
    well I have eaten well and logged so far today. and will keep trying, it is end of day that I am starving and go to bed right after I eat. so that doesnt help matters