WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• DLS1029
    DLS1029 Posts: 70 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lenora - Actually my daughter is almost 25. We had a beagle jack russell that lived to be over 16 years old. Her name was "Precious" and she was indeed precious. I was so attached to Precious. It's going on 2 years since we lost her due to cancer. My daughter felt like "poor mom" needed a puppy and I guess maybe she was right. My DD found her online at a rescue in OH. Poor little puppy, she and her sibs were dropped at a goodwill store in the bottom of a box under clothes. Sad, but we were happy to rescue her. All of the siblings were adopted too. We have a cat that is 10 years old and she has already showed the puppy who the boss is! I know that you are enjoying your Cracker as much as we are enjoying our new pup!

miriamwithcats - That ottoman belongs with the whole set of furniture that my kids think is ugly! I love the print and the furniture is very comfy. Hopefully Lacey (the pup) won't chew it up. We have gotten her lots of toys and stuff to chew on and so far, so good. We are crate training her because we work during the day and I don't relish the thoughts of cleaning up after her all over the house. She is doing well at using the potty outside. Still a few accidents, but she is still a baby!

Peach - what a cute Pom!

Katla - who would have thought that a dog could be a match-maker?! Love that story!

It is very very windy and cold here in the mountains of WV tonight. Low of 9 degrees expected! I made a new recipe this evening, Cajun Chicken Pasta, with some roasted broccoli. The pasta was delicious and I think it was around 225 calories per cup. I had to eat an extra 1/2 cup cause it was so yummy!

Gotta get a shower and get pumped up for work tomorrow!

Snuggle up and keep warm everybody!

Donna in WV

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Peach your Pom is so cute. What's his name and how old is he?

Janetr okc
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,973 Member
    Options
    I am in the waiting room at radiology waiting while hubby has a test where they inject dye into his spine and take pictures so the doctor can decide what surgery he needs. After the procedure he can't bend over for about three days. Don't know when we'll find out about the surgery. I have to drive home but he promised to make no comments about my driving
  • Youruniverse1
    Youruniverse1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow-what an active group! It's hard to keep up with everyone's posts. Love the dog pics! I will have to find a good one of mine to share.

I had a pretty close to perfect week last week that showed up on the scale to start the new year off right! However this week I seem to be struggling. It's like I just needed to prove to myself I can lose weight but then decide "just kidding" and continue on with bad habits. Time to retrain my brain!

Nancy in OKC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Is there a way on MFP where you can enter the ingredients of a recipe and (maybe) find out what the calories are in it per serving? I had gained .5 of a pound; and, I think it was because I cooked twice this weekend and ate 3 meals out of it; put the rest in the freezer.

One was a recipe that I had thought I had lost years ago. Was decluttering my kitchen shelf and found some loose recipes. Thankfully, it was in that pile of loose recipes that I came up with both these recipes. One was for a beef casserole and the other was for Spicy Bean Soup. So this next week I am going to take my diet products and act like I am not on the 'modified' diet plan and see if that jump starts it again. I hope I have not hit a plateau.

I've worked for 2 days trying to balance my stupid checkbook, have not been able to balance it for 3 months. Usually, I can balance it right down to the penny. One thing I found was that I apparently did not enter a debit card purchase, I've got another debit card purchase for $25 for gas and it has not cleared for some reason. I forgot about a check that I have put in the front of my register because it has not cleared since I wrote in back in April. I know they aren't supposed to be honored after 180 days; but, as soon as I add it back, they'll send it through to try to collect.

Well, since I wrote a book the last time; I will give all of you a rest; read, but not post any. LOL! I tried the side-by-side again; but, I'd rather have the MFP community so that I don't have to use the scroll bar at the bottem.

CHOW!
    Lenora
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,676 Member
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of stepping on the AMT today. How I really wish we had one of those rolling stairsteppers! Anyway...tomorrow we have a general meeting for the Newcomers so the plan is to do a Kathe Smith Fat Burning Workout DVD

Welcome everyone new!

katla - gorgeous pic of the northern lights

DJ - before you go on the cruise, you'll know how long you'll be gone for. Each of those days log at least one food. That way you won't lose your days and you won't have to use the Internet on the ship.

terri - you know something -- I don't even know if there IS a Wendy's around here, that's how little interest I have in it

janetr - cute saying about your memory....lol

Welcome Kim!

Went to mahjongg today, then bought gas, came home and made the crabbie phyllo bites for Rummikub tonight. I'm thinking that this one gal who is usually at Rummikub, I know her hubby really likes crab so maybe I'll take whatever is left over to her for him to have. Update: She needs knee replacement surgery so can't get around well and her hubby was asleep, so we'll probably take them to her tomorrow after the general meeting.

Donna - Lacey has stolen my heart, especially with those big eyes. I have to agree with Miriam. For some reason this teacher gave Jessica a JRT. Surely, she'd know who'd wind up taking care of it, she never spoke to me. Anyway, he chewed up our rug. I finally took the dog back to the teacher, I don't think she was too happy but I wasn't going to keep a dog that I didn't want

Vicky - the only time I've ever been to a Wegman's was one time when I went with Jess. I could have just walked and browsed the store, but she's not into something like that. I was impressed with what I did see, tho. Where in PA is your son?

drkatiebug - you could very well have "white coat syndrome". Vince used to have that all the time.

Beth - hip hip horray for you exercising

Nancy in OKC - if you can do a near perfect week once, you can do it again. We're rooting for ya

Lenora - if you go to the "recipes" tab, then click on the box "enter new recipe", you can add the ingredients and then tell it how many servings and it'll figure out all the nutritionals for you for one serving.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Is there a way on MFP where you can enter the ingredients of a recipe and (maybe) find out what the calories are in it per serving? I had gained .5 of a pound; and, I think it was because I cooked twice this weekend and ate 3 meals out of it; put the rest in the freezer.

CHOW!
    Lenora

:) Yes.....go to "Food", then click on recipes and then look on the right side of the page and see "old recipe calculator", then "enter new recipe"...I've used it and it works....it is especially great for a recipe you will use over and over

• celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Lenora- there is a place in the food diary where you can enter all of the ingredients of a recipe and how many servings it makes and it will determine the calories and such. I think it is called "my recipes."

BettyROC - I get back to Rochester a couple of times each year. Big changes in some places, some things never change. We were there in January last year, winter hasn't changed either, so I'm good where I am. Go Bills!
  • barbiecat
    Options
    ygpv3lmc2arr.jpg
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Barbie - love it. That's me all over. :) Thanks for sharing.

Janetr okc
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Good Golly Miss Molly. Such a chatty group! I love it! I've been reading for hours and am only starting on page 34 now. I decided I would post now before my laptop battery dies and tomorrow I will try to read more pages!

I love the introductions. Normally, I would just kind of skim and skip because i'm so far behind, but I am so engrossed in learning more about everyone that I just can't do it this time. Great idea, Sylvia!

I am 55 years old (56 in March). I am married for the 2nd time to a wonderful man. Together we have 6 kids, 17 grandchildren and 1 great-grandson. We have a black lab named Jack who is getting up there in years, slowing down a bit, but still going strong. I had gained weight and decided that I had to stop blaming it on the fact that I had twins, since those twins are now 34 years old! I went on the 17-Day-Diet in 2011 and lost over 25 lbs in about 3 or 4 months. I felt healthier than I had ever felt in my adult life. Well, a few months later I was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer. I had bilateral mastectomies, went through 5 months of chemotherapy and 6 weeks of daily radiation. I had several surgeries over the last few years for reconstruction. I take some medications now to stop the estrogen in my body since the cancer was feeding on estrogen. To make a long story short, being thrown into full blown menopause has given me a very large tire around my belly. I weigh about 170 lbs right now and should weigh about 125. I'd be happy if I weighed 145 actually. I am struggling with losing anything on all these medications and hormonal therapies so I do get frustrated and depressed a lot lately.

I hope to end this month lighter than I started it. My goal this month is to log into MFP faithfully and change my habits. I just had knee surgery so I am not getting much, if any, activity right now, but I'm hopeful that I will be able to start walking soon and do it without a limp or pain! Wouldn't that be new and different?

I was taking notes as I read and so I'm going to post those below to some of you. I'm sure I'll have more after I get caught up tomorrow, so if I'm commenting late on something, I apologize!

Sylvia: Thank you for thinking of the introductions! This is so interesting and I am enjoying these immensely. Great idea! I also want to thank you for the advice you shared with Grattracey91 regarding making a list of all the things we don’t like about being overweight and then crossing them off one by one. What a great idea! Absolutely going to do this. Not only will it be rewarding to cross them off but it will make me really think about losing weight as I think of all the reasons I want to lose it. Again, thank you.

Lisa in West Texas: I plan to check out your Amazon author page. I’m so intrigued by people who write and get published. It has always been my dream, but I could never actually do it. Congrats to you for your success.

Heather UK:
    I had to Google both Burn’s night AND haggis! I hope you had a wonderful time. It sounded really interesting. I love to read and have always wanted to write. I’m going to look your book up on Amazon after I get done reading about 10 more pages in this thread. :smile: I cannot imagine living in London or in the countryside of Hampshire. I’ll bet it is beautiful. I am also a breast cancer survivor and that is when this weight came on and refused to leave. I’m struggling so much since treatment.

Margaret in Minnesota: Beautiful bouquet of roses! Very thoughtful and such a pretty color too!

Janetr: Thank you for The Knot Prayer. I loved it and I really needed that today.

Vicki Grand Island NE: I smiled at some of the things we have in common. I have worked for 21 years at the same hospital in the IT department, teaching physicians. I thought I had a large family! You have me beat in the kids/gk and ggk department! My DH and I don’t belong to a motorcycle group but have a Honda Goldwing that we love taking out for nice long country rides.

Barbie from NW Washington: I love that you have a recumbent exercise bike in living room to ride and knit while watching tv! I smiled reading that. I’m so sorry to hear what awful things your mother said about your weight when you were young. I know we all say things we wish we could take back, but that had to be very hurtful. You are such an inspiration to so many now, and I thank you for that. I had to laugh at your comment about not discussing politics, religion or football! I live in Green Bay, so need I say more? :wink:

annm0213: Was it hard to start getting up an hour early to go to gym? I’m really struggling with getting gym time in and have been contemplating this but have such a hard time getting up in the morning! Are you naturally a morning person?

Becca in Oregon: Love the index card idea of great sayings that you suggested to SouthernSass. The refrigerator mantras were great too. Thank you for sharing. I hope you are feeling better. I’ve been fighting a rotten cold too and I agree that it is nice to actually be able to breathe out of my nose again! I love how your signature changes daily! You make me smile.

Kim from N. California: Thanks for the idea of listening to NPR Prairie Home Companion. I’m originally from Minnesota so I tuned in and listened and enjoyed it so much! Small northern town living in a nutshell! Love, love, love it! I also wanted to tell you I love that you have a long-term goal toward your finances. I’ve just started working very diligently at cutting back on expenses and trying to pay things off early. DH has been out of work since April due to a surgery that didn’t heal right so that is my long term goal also. Body, spirit, mind and financial health.

Penny at North Pole: I like the idea of prepping 1 lb of raw vegetables a day and snacking on them throughout the day. What kind of veggies do you eat so you don’t get bored, especially when they are not in season. I don’t live at the North Pole, but I do live in Green Bay, Wisconsin, which is pretty close… ;) I have difficulty getting my vegetables in because I really didn’t grow up eating them so don’t much like them! Looking for ideas.

Lenora: GRITSandSLUTS acronym made me giggle. Thank you for posting all the tips for posting to and following this thread. I copied and pasted into a Word document.

Walk2Health: I have one Tai Chi DVD that I like although I’m really clumsy and have a hard time doing even the easiest moves! Which DVDs do you use? Congratulations on surviving the cancer. I am 4 years out myself. It gives you a new perspective on life, doesn’t it?

SouthernSass:
    Congrats on the 6 lb loss! Nice job!

Clelia:
    Welcome! Good luck on your first goal.

Michele in NC: I’ve been thinking of learning to crochet or knit. Can I ask how you are teaching yourself? Book? DVD? YouTube? I try to quilt, but I don’t find that relaxing either! :smile:

Chris in MA: I found your story very compelling and inspiring. Thank you for sharing. I took a screenshot so I can go back and read some of the pieces over and over (like CICO) when I need to. Congratulations on achieving your goal and then some. I am sorry to hear you are troubled by some setbacks, and I want you to know I am praying for you.

Mary in Minnesota: What kind of puppy did you get?

Until tomorrow, have a great night!

Tracie in Green Bay

• sweetnsouthernsass
    sweetnsouthernsass Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    t2002.gif Lillian, you asked about the graphics I post.....here are a few guidelines that might get you started:

http://www.freesmileys.org/

http://www.glitter-graphics.com/

http://yoursmiles.org/

These are three sites I've used to find graphics for my posts. Each one of them is a little different in the way you find the graphic you want and how you copy and paste the code onto your post.

On free smileys you copy and paste the "forum" code
    On glitter graphics you copy and paste the BB code
    On yoursmiles you click on the smiley and a code shows up above the smileys and you copy and paste that code.

Try out one of the sites and see how it works.

smiley-cool05.gifBarbie

Thanks!
  • sweetnsouthernsass
    sweetnsouthernsass Posts: 58 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I think I need to stay online all day to keep up with you awesome ladies! I had 77 notifications. Just getting home. Looking forward to Thursday when I get home early enough to respond back to you peeps.

On an happy note, I lost another 1/2 pound today. Just keeping it going.

Dar in NC
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Donna, sounds like a good plan for your pup.

Peach. Adorable pom. My son and daughter in law have a pom/ papillon mix that looks a lot like yours. Odin has a black face, though, with the red/brown hair. It was so funny to watch him play with my Akita/ german shepherd mix that weighed 100 pounds! He would follow mine around and his "skirt" (fluff on his backside) would just swish back and forth! LOL

Barbie, great joke!

Love to all!
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Loving the puppy pics... and yep, that's me on the plank... and not the first one! :p
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good night, all!

Carol in NC
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    <3
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options