WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :)Chris, You look fantastic....your picture is a motivation for all of us

:)Tracie in Green Bay, along with setting the alarm to get up five minutes earlier, be sure to set the alarm to go to bed 5 minutes earlier.....those two in combination will help you get up earlier.....I've done this so well that now I tell people that I actually live as though I were two time zones east of me
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ginger peach tea... and in a few minutes off to work :(
    but upside have been getting on average of about 10 hrs a sleep nightly
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday ! ! !

Grits – Yes, we have Verizon. DH had Verizon turn of the service, now when the Police Department is ready, we will temporarily turn it back on to get the ping, then the Police will go get it. We only use names (DS might have “Dad” or “Mom” but that’s it). We don’t even have a land line at home anymore. // We were in Corpus Christie for a bowling tournament a few years ago, and both kids really enjoyed the Dolphin Tour in Port Aransas. That was a great trip. We also went to a family Italian Restaurant that felt exactly like the Olive Garden commercials look : Tons of fun, owner walking around shaking hands, bread flying through the air (I don’t think they served that bread, I think it was just for “show”). DS was about 4, so when he fell asleep, the man at the table next to us grabbed his feet and put them on his lap so he would be comfortable while sleeping. Thanks for the wonderful trip down Memory Lane !

Katla – Good thoughts and Prayers ! ! !

Barbie – Hugs and Prayers for you and DH ! ! ! // Now everyone knows I am crazy, because I am laughing so hard and loud at the “plank” pictures. Thanks ! ! !

Nancy – I like that: Retrain my Brain. Thanks for sharing.

Tracie – Congrats on 4 years – Here’s to MANY more ! ! ! // I crochet and I also knit on a loom. I find the loom knitting easiest and sometimes fastest. I usually have at least one of each project going at a time, because my RA dictates my abilities. I know there are very nice directions and examples on YouTube. I find both very relaxing, but mostly because I do simple projects that don’t require much thought or counting. I will be in Ashwaubenon in April, if you want to meet up (and/or work through any problems with crochet that you may have). I hope you find what works for you!

I’m so excited – it sounds like DD will be able to come in April for my Grandma’s 95th Birthday Lunch. She is planning on bringing the new bf (who is really an ex, but they are working on making it happen again). So far I like this particular bf, so it will be nice to spend more time with him and get to know him better. I’m trying to talk them into driving up to the Green Bay area on that Saturday night, spend the night at a Hotel, then head across the State to return to Winona MN. DS and DH will be in Green Bay the whole weekend for the State Youth Bowling Tournament, and I’m just going to meet them up there when things are done here with my Grandma. If DD goes, then I can ride back home again with DH instead of having separate cars.

It had been quiet at work for me this morning, now things are picking up.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you who told me how to get my recipes on this site.

Kimses - I, too, take a whole lot of medications that 'weight gain' is a side effect. I was putting on 1 - 1 1/2 pound a month. Didn't think too much about it until one of my MDs said, 'that's 12 - 18 pounds a year. You need to do something about it. When I had an appointment with my GYN, he all but ordered me to go into the Medical Weight Loss Program they had at their office. It's expensive; but, I am getting very good results from it, losing 33.5 pounds since the middle of May. Now when I look at pictures taken of me at my DYS's wedding on 5/9/15; I gringe! There is a huge difference in the way I feel and look.

When DYS visited at Thanksgiving I had on a pair of 'skinny jeans'. He told his wife, who unfortunately was unable to come thanks to her 'ex' being a real D***H*** about visitation, so she had to stay home. She told him, next year will be different, it is her time to have daughter and they WILL all be coming to GA to visit. This is a man who took her to court no less than 6 times during the time they were in the middle of a divorce action. She was going to school full-time and basically had 'little or no steady income'. He'd take her to court over the stupidest things. Judge finally told him to NOT ever file another action in 'his' court or he would regret it - and they needed to get with a mediator to hammer out visitation and child support. They share custody; visitation is unusual from any I have seen as a former Paralegal; and she took a lot less in child support to settle it. Judge told him that if he ever filed anything against her - he would give her full custody, the visitation would be confined to every other weekend and one day during the week, and he would double what he is now paying as child support. Now she is all settled in with a new profession and other things usually go as agreed.

DYS's step-daughter just absolutely loves her step-dad and told her biological Dad that they were looking for some land to build a house on; and, his wife - in front of her Dad and Step-mom, Mother and Step-Dad, and my DDnL#2's parents and DSGD's step-mom said, 'well THAT suxs, for you to not be able to see your Mom only every other weekend'. Mouths dropped to the floor; and DDnL#2 blasted her for saying this and to stop telling her to call her 'Mama" ... she already has one and that one is herself. It's NOT like they would be moving very far, just out in the country. They exchange visitation times at the school where their son also goes. Surely he is not stupid enough to file for full custody. DDnL#2 has already told his wife to stay out of their business as it does NOT concern her. She wants DSGD to call her something other than by her name. DDnL#2 told her that her daughter has a Mother - and she isn't going to call her anything other than her name; and to stop trying to make her. DYS loves her as 'if she is his daughter and refers to her as his daughter' most of the time; but, won't allow her to call him anything other than by his first name and to refer to him as her 'step-dad'. He knows that he is not her "Dad". She once told her Mom that she knew she had only one Mom and one Dad; but, that she loves DYS more than she loved her 'step-mom'. She is always getting into trouble and being punished because their son whines and cries and tells them that she has hit him or said something ugly to him. He is only 4 or 5; and, she is 10. She is also one that broke up their marriage in the first place; but, she got what she wanted and according to DDnL#2 - he hasn't changed any. Like Tiger Woods' 'new' name "Tiger Cheeter". LOL!!!!!

I know that I had to go very low with my 'caloric intake' in order to be able to lose the weight I was carrying; 3 more points on my BMI - I will then be consider within 'normal' range of weight. I really have not decided what my goal is at this point; but, MD/nurse said what is most important is to get my BMI down 3 more points or maybe even a little more. We'll decide what is the best weight for me once I get my BMI down 3 more points. I eat just about what I want to eat; I just an very conscious of portion control and tracking everything I eat or drink. I no longer drink soft drinks such as cokes; I do drink a flavored carbonated drink; some like it, some don't. Sparkling ICE - I like the regular lemonade flavor the most. Don't like the tea flavored, mainly because I don't associate tea being carbonated. Don't like the grapefruit or the 'green' colored on much. Here, they are only $1 each for a 17 ounce bottle. ZERO Vitamin water is something I have also had and life, just not as much - really flat tasting. Have to make sure that the Vitamin water is the ZERO kind because the others have 120 calories on them. I am also very aware of the number of calories I can have with one of my meals being a 'cooked' meal. What I usually do, since my DH eats his large meal in the middle of the day is to get several cuts of meat and package them individually in Cling-Free wrap with aluminum foil over that. Doesn't take them long to thaw out and then I can throw them in a pan and eat a couple of veggies along with it.

I'm getting to the point that I eat more 'regular' food just making sure I know how many calories are in a serving; and, I post my day's meals in the morning. Adjusting as needed such as when we are planning on eating out. The, usually I look up the restaurant and decide the things I have choices in eating and try to keep that 'in mind' in order to keep my weight off. I've always heard that 1100 - 1300 calories for a woman to maintain her weight and 1300 - 1500 for a man to maintain his weight; I'd gain weight if I consistently ate anything like 1300 calories a day. So I usually keep it around or under 1000 in order to lose; but, this is done with my MD/nurse keeping a check on it. I really think that some of my medications need to be lowered some; and, will check the next appointment on the 25th. One thing I have notice within the last couple of weeks is finding it hard to stay awake if I am sitting reading or watching TV. I really think you have to discuss your caloric intake with your MD to find out what he/she says you need to stay in, to lose weight. I eat a lot of veggies and fruit and I take a lot of OTC vitamins and supplements. Good luck to you. Just do it safely with your MD's input. Exercise is also key to losing weight. Start off slowly and work up from there. Walking is a fabulous exercise if the weather permits. I walk on a treadmill ... which can get rather boring. But, I break it up in shorter spurts doing it 2 or 3 times a day.

My DDnL#1 drinks at least 2 soft drinks a day. No wonder she is putting on weight; if she'd cut them out and drink water instead ... she'd probably find that will make her lose some of her extra weight. She's 5' 9"; but, the last time she said anything about her weight she told me she weighed 280lbs. So she probably has 100lbs or more to be in a 'normal' range. I think she has gotten so big that it is almost a losing [no pun intended] fight as far as she is concerned. She keeps thinking that there is a magic pill that she can take and lose all of her extra weight within a week or two. She never lost her 'baby' weight after giving birth to her oldest daughter who just turned 15 in December and was 'overweight' when she got pregnant with her 2nd one.

I've watched her eat before and she always goes back for 2nds. A lot of starchy foods as well; and, fried foods. Sometimes she takes her own meals to eat at lunchtime; other than that she grabs something from a fast food joint. I told her since she likes salads, that Olive Garden's (to go) salad only has 140 calories in it and wasn't a lot different in price than most fast food joints are. I don't know if she has taken me up on this. Probably not, I'm just the fire-breathing, dragon of a MnL B****! Oh well. She has not said one word about my weight; but, that's okay, too!

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    Morning peeps

Mikes mom- wow, great before and after *kitten*! U go gurl!

Funny how when you drive a new car you tend to drive like an old lady because you're paranoid. Having to drive the new car because I have physical therapy today and I have to get off early so I can't get there in time with the train schedule. Type to you later
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Joyce-I am like you I stay up until two or three in the morning and I get up at around 8 o'clock.

Gayle- you are going to be in a heat wave today! Enjoy the nice weather. I thought it was much warmer when I took the puppy out to the bathroom. However I still dress in my Carharts.

Janetr- congratulations! That isn't much weight at all. Now that you're able to swim and exercise with your knee feeling better you will lose that in no time.

Allison-you just have to do it! We are here to support and motivate you. I know at one time you wanted to get into weightlifting. I really do notice great results from that. Let me know if you want any help.

Carol/peach-your Pom is beautiful! I didn't realize that the needed to get their haircut. Is he Gibbs or Dinozo?

Lisa-you are such a busy woman! It was -22 here so you're 33° in having to warm up your car is hilarious to me. That would be a heat wave here!

Heather-I still love reading what you're preparing and eating for your dinner!

Terri- you are so fortunate to still have your grandma with you. 95! I'm glad that you will be with your daughter for her grandma's birthday party. Powerball! I'm going to buy one for our group as well tonight. I am having each buy one also because he has never bought one and you know how that goes!

Lenora - it sounds like you were doing really well with your eating and drinking. We have a soap opera going on with my husband's daughters. One of his daughters has cut us out of her life completely. We are hoping someday she realizes what she's doing.

Pip- I must have missed something! I know that you were looking for a new car but I did not know that you bought one. Congratulations!

I am just getting up to do my exercises and take care of the puppy. He is a lot of work! But I love it!

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    B)

Thanks for comments on the pom. He is 6 yrs old and named after the main character on NCIS (Dh's doing).

Carol
    Is his name Gibbs?

Chris in MA

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    His name is Jethro! :)
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the comments on my pics, it was what my soul needed.
    You Ladies Rock!!

Chris in MA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi all!
    Well, I've scuppered my attempt to ring the mobile phone company today. :sad: I had a letter from the housing association who hold the freehold on the rental I sold last November, claiming I owe them the service charge for December and January. :sad: :sad: Of course I had written to them at the time telling them that I had sold the apartment. :sad:
    I rang them and started off politely, but when I was put through to the wrong department and they implied that was my fault I totally lost it and used a mild swear word and exploded. Told them what I thought of their incompetence. She put the phone down on me. I have now fired off an email. I don't think I should be allowed anywhere near a phone at the moment. :'( I am a very angry and frustrated woman.

Chris - you look great! What a huge difference! I hope you are feeling really proud of yourself! :flowerforyou: And another 7 pounds!

OK, I will make my phone call tomorrow. :grumble: :'(

Love Heather UK
  • fraserkr
    fraserkr Posts: 110 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    My word for 2015 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

THANKS for teaching me the word "alacrity" - a great focus word!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: If your friends are worried about you, then I am too. Can you share your frustration with any of them and plan something that is less likely to irritate you? I worry that you are missing out on the fun because of one annoying person. :huh:

Lenora: There is a recipe calculator that is part of MFP. It is much easier to use now than in the past. Go to Food and then Recipes. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I LOVE the planking photos. :laugh:

Tracie in Green Bay: Welcome! :smiley:

Chris in MA: WOW! You've transformed yourself. Excellent progress. Thanks for sharing. :flowerforyou:

Janetr: I love the "Ships don't sink" message! :bigsmile:

Yoga this morning and then I have an appointment with the orthopedist at the end of the day. I wonder whether I'll have a cast or continued time in the brace. I know I'm not healed yet. My big hope is that I can ride on Saturday. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lisa – the differences in temperatures across States, yet all in the US, just cracks me up. Today my attached garage was 37, so I did NOT need to warm up my car. We got down to -1 last night, expect a high in the double digits today. We certainly have been spoiled with nice weather so far this winter. But I do hate it when the temperature is so low that my nose hairs freeze together when I take in a breath.

Chris – great improvement. Love the dress ! ! !

Mary – Thanks ! We all know how lucky we are to still have my Grandma. My Mom passed about 4.5 years ago, and my sister passed 2 years ago. My Grandma’s husband (my grandpa) lost his fight 7 years ago, and my DFiL has been gone 2 years now. My sister has grandchildren, so when they are able to be here, that was a total of 5 generations (with a hole now from my sister being gone ). It was a difficult decision to make; DS and DH going to Green Bay without me. I enjoy watching DS bowl, and the last time DH was in Green Bay was during his Mid-life crisis, so it will be hard to trust him being there alone, but this will be my grandma’s only 95th birthday party, and it is pretty likely that DS will keep bowling. But hey, I get to sleep in the middle of the bed, so that’s something. Plus, alone time with DD and her bf ! I think we will take a Brewery tour, then go out for Chinese ! ! ! She’s a great singer, so maybe I can find some Karaoke somewhere, too. OOOh, I’m getting so excited – I hope she doesn’t change her mind.

Peach - I think Poms are the cutest, most elegant dogs around. If DH didn't have allergies and refuse to take claratin, I would get a rescue mixed Pom ! ! ! Thanks for sharing the picture.

Cutting relatives out of our lives: My Mom's side of the family had a fight with me shortly after my sister died (one said something to me that was totally and completely innapropriate, and when I asked for an apology a few weeks later, she refused). So, they have all disowned me, and I feel the same about them. Now, my youngest sister is having a similar situation, so I know the issue was not my issue but theirs. It's funny, because they all think they are getting a "share" of the estate, or belongings, or whatever. But, they are completely wrong ! ! ! They are in for a HUGE, rude awakening when (God forbid), my Dad passes. I already took all their post-it notes down in the house (how rude is THAT, putting their names on post-it notes and sticking them to the backs of the items they want when my Dad dies?).

I have been an early-bird for many decades, but the older I get the earlier I chose to sleep and rise. I am now getting up at either 3:30am or 4:30am by choice, so I can get to work early to ride one of the bikes. DS isn’t a fan of getting to school that early, but he would rather get a ride than have to trek 2 miles uphill (it truly is a slight uphill most of the way). I try to go to bed 8 hours before I need to get up, but sometimes on weekends we have events later in the morning, so I will occasionally “sleep in” until about 6:30am.

Last night I was lazy, and ended up “cheating”. I logged some fat free cottage cheese and beanitos, but I didn’t count, measure, or weigh, because I thought I could stop. Then I got involved in something, lost track of the time, and lost track of my eating. Today, no sticker for me. (((sad face))). Today have started over, will maintain control, and log and weigh everything before eating it. NO mindless nibbling ! ! !

Hugs again, Terri
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Oh good grief! I'm all the way back on page 37. I was wondering why and then realized that I normally check in through out the day while at work and had a very full day yesterday and didn't check in here at all. I'll try to catch up today and if I don't succeed I will simply pick up tomorrow from what ever page we are on by then.

Thinking of everyone and missing all of you.

Good news from yesterday is that Maxwell (the cat) had a wellness check-up first thing in the morning and he is fit as a fiddle. Also in fine voice as he informed me the entire way there and back that riding in cars is not his favorite activity. LOL!

Mia in MI
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    My sis just messaged me that her daughter has had to have a c-section and the baby was not due for about 6 weeks. They found out a week or so ago that the baby had a cyst on her ovary. I don't know if that's why they are taking her early or if it is a complication involving the niece's health. Please keep both of them in mind!
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Oh yea - BLTC participants - I'm on team PINK

Miriam – I love that the stray has figured out how to get let in. I worry about the strays/ferals when it is so danged cold out. I once found an article on how to make an insulated shelter for strays. I wonder if DH would be upset if I made them a shelter. Gotta check with him.

January goals:
    Plan and log food in advance
    All changes to the above plan will be logged
    Weigh and measure all food that I prepare at home
    Get at least 15 min per day of aerobic exercise
    64 oz. water (or what counts as water for my program) daily

Mia in MI
  • grammiekb
    grammiekb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/215380-drinking-hot-water-lemon-in-the-morning/
    Someone asked me why I drink lemon in juice in warm water every morning. here is a link that explains some of the benefits....and it tastes good!!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Sylvia, I had to laugh at the store stocker. He didn’t even know what sodium was but then had a “reason” that the foods have to have it. Some people just don’t know when to stop talking.

Janetr, I love the picture of the doggies. OMG and the Poster about memory. Party being planned.drool.gif

Kim (kacdragon) Welcome. We will need a last initial or location with your name as we already have a Kim that has been here a long time. We are happy to have you join us so come often.

Mary, way to go on that lifting. So very impressive and the fact that you always work on your form. showoff.gif

Beth, stay safe when out in all that snow.

Heather, I think I missed something. Why is your nice friend worried about you?

Lenora, if your lipstick is off your lips too soon, try Covergirl Longlast. If applied correctly, it literally stays on all day. Once I tried it I won’t wear anything else. Without lips I look way too washed out.

Katla, sending strong vibes for you to be able to ride. (((Hugs)))

Gkeister, you did it right. Welcome. Please tell us about yourself to help us get to know you. Also, please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Nancy, welcome to you as well. You will find this a very supportive and informative group of ladies. Congrats on the good start and just know some weeks will be more successful than others. For that matter, some months. Come often.

MicheleNC, does that work to log ahead and it counts as logging in??? Too cool. Thanks.

Barbie, great pictures. Thanks for sharing. LOL

Chris, great pics and thanks for posting. I’m the same way with privacy and posting on line but I even posted my picture here a few months ago. I love seeing picture of these ladies that I talk with every day. You look marvelous so just keep it up!!

Joyce, I just feel so bad for Charlie and all he’s going through. I just hope he gets some relief soon. Glad to see your ID pic is back. I guess I didn’t realize you had such ah er “different” sleep habits. Does Charlie do the same?

Allie, we are really supporting you in getting your eating and exercise back to where you want it. You can do this and just remember it’s one day at a time. You can do anything for a day.

Heather, sounds like a good idea to stay away from the phone for now. I’d be upset, too.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Yesterday I made it in line dance class for about 1 ½ hours. Then all of a sudden I had enough. Not only was my body tired but my brain was too. She was teaching a new dance and I just couldn’t focus, so knew it was time to go. I am really enjoying it and the great exercise. This morning I was somewhat dragging so decided that my moving in place might have to be done in 5 minute segments but once I got started I made it for 12 minutes straight. Yeah me! Now to tackle a couple of drawers that I want to declutter as they still have some rather large clothes in them.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Food planned.
    Swim done. (30 min/40 laps).

Grits What is it about the program that helps you lose? Is it a very restrictive diet? Or the combination of things? Did they have to lower the calorie intake to compensate for the medication side effects?

Peach the *baby* has a cyst on her ovary??? Amazing that they can tell that. Thoughts are with your niece.

I've moved on to the next round of interviews. So far, 1 phone interview, two in-person interviews (same day). Friday is a role play phone interview for 30 minutes. Then Wed. a 2.5 hour interview with the team.
    They are putting me through the wringer on this one! I have no idea where this will lead, but I'm just going to go with the flow. I just happened to see this job posting pop up on Linked In and clicked Apply for the heck of it. But good grief, role plays are no fun.

I'm liking my job today because I'm working at home this week sitting by the fire in my living room with my no-sugar hot chocolate, laptop, and my cats. Can't beat that.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Kimses in MA

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    k7egnw0lta5j.jpg

Mia, this is the adorable, loving stray that has figured out that being inside on cold nights is okay. He is now named, Spot, for the spot on his nose, and so I guess he will be going to the vet to be neutered. I really am trying to NOT take in more cats. It just doesn't work when they show up and beg to be let in!