• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    tawnya, for the life of me I can't understand what people are talking about when they say they have an open windows or whatever it is. I just buy a bunch of notebooks from Walmart at the beginning of each school year for about ten cents and right notes as I read. So that is how I used to do it. Now I just write what I can remember. And sometimes my little MS brain can't remember much. They all know I love them and am not forgetting anyone so all is good. You are doing OK with what you are doing right now. You are managing to stay afloat. and that is an accomplishment with this group of girls.

Mom wanted so much to be able to see us enjoy her things while she was alive. So she asked us. No one spoke up about her crystal so my sister got it, also her china cabinet, china and a bunch of other things that are actually worth money. I know I had equal right to say I wanted something but I wanted my Mom and wasn't really into thinking about what I wanted. So my sister took most of it while she was alive and then has given most of it to her daughter. But I just wanted my Mom, nothing else. She did make sure I got some things, and I appreciate them. She listed my brother as the executor of the estate but since he didn't live here and I was the one who knew her quirky way of doing her check book and dealt with her bank for her all checking accounts. So he asked me to deal with her accounts. So when it was all finished I presented all of them a check for $65. That was Mom's money left for all of us. But we all got the best part of it. We had the privilege of knowing her got as may years as we could. I love the pieces I got from her and use them all, except her old lead oval mirror. I think her and Dad's love together kept that thing staying together because as soon as I got it the wood around the mirror split. I dont' know where I would put it. The little cabinet she had above it is in my office holding my phone, prevents paper from spitting out of the printer and keeps me smiling every time I look at it.

Called the hand center today. It is amazing why a doctor's office asks all the questions they do and then never do anything with it. Apparently they knew he was on a blood thinner. But they asked if I had called our family doctor to give permission to be off of it for 12 days. Now why would a doctor give permission to be off a blood thinner for 12 days without making some provision for something else. I told her that it would not be our family doctor but his heart doctor. Oh boy, that really upset her that she didn't know he had a heart doctor. Honey, it's on the massive amount of paper work I gave you a month ago. So heart doctor says 4 days. I guess they will have to duke that one out. Also he says in order to give his OK to have anesthesia, Charlie will have to have a stress test. YEAH!!!!! I have so wanted him to order that. The man is exhausted, weak, tired, feet and legs swollen and no one will listen. Only problem is that the stress test is the same day as his annual physical. I just hope it wont cause any scheduling problems. Since the physical is at 10:30 that probably means he won't be seen until noon anyway. I am glad mine was scheduled for 1 PM. I was the first one after lunch!!!!

Nite nite ladies. Joyce, Indiana
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Tracie wrote: Penny at the North Pole: Thank you for sharing your veggies with me. That sounds like a great idea. Maybe I need to buy a larger variety of vegetables and just bring a small amount of each with me so I don’t get so bored. Maybe I will try one new veggie a week or something. I’ve never tried rutabaga or beets raw before… I suppose you don’t have anything in season there…<slap my forehead> ha! :smiley:

Do you prepare your veggies fresh each day or prepare a week’s worth ahead of time so you can grab and go?
    Tracie, I only prepare a day at a time. Seven whole pounds of prepped veggies would take a lot of space in my fridge. Also I don't think they would keep that long. So I just cut up as much as I need. One pound is about one carrot, one stick of celery, 2-3 inches of cuke, half a beet, a wedge of rutabaga, a handful of snow peas and a few cherry tomatoes. Those last two are really useful if I need to top up the weight to the full 500 grams. (Yeah, I admit, I'm a bit obsessive compulsive when it comes to weighing my food.)

I hadn't eaten much raw rutabaga before, and never even tried raw beet or parsnip, but now I'm hooked. Raw beet tastes like boiled beet but fresher and crunchier. Parsnip was an eye-opener! Unpredictable, though. It can be marvelous, but it can also be really bitter if it had "a difficult childhood". I recommend you first try grated raw parsnip. Grating makes it sweet and juicy and a easier to handle psychologically. When I was in the States last summer I gave up on rutabagas. They were all tough and sharp-tasting, possibly because they were old. This time of year they may be better. Our Scandinavian rutabagas are divine. When my husband snitches veggies from me he always goes straight for the rutabagas. I think that says something...

We're having a snowstorm here today. I've got tons of work to do so I probably won't have time to go out and enjoy it. I'll just admire it through the window. (Newbies: I work from home.)

Over and out.
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It's me again. I guess my New Year's resolution should be to be more consistent. I'm going to try but no promises. Christmas crazies and inventory are over so it should be easier. Also my coughing fits are down to a minimum, Larry is recovering from his lung infection. Larry's arm is looking so good and he goes to see the surgeon tomorrow with high hopes of not having to wear the brace any more. It is going to take time and a lot of physio to get his hand/finger function back to normal.

Our DS spent a few weeks with his Mom helping her after her husband's suicide. Sad when people are in so much distress that it is the only way out they can see. I feel so bad for her.

I've been trying to get back into the swing of things but it is taking me much longer than I would like.
    I read today's posts but know I have missed so much from you active bunch of ladies.
    I have been going to the gym with my daughter who is working her "a**" off to look fantastic in the brides maid dress in Cuba.

Today I spent with my DGD who always tickles my fancy. Then I helped my DS with some things for her Avon business. It was a good day.

Lenora - 33.5 lbs since May, that is impressive

Terri - Enjoy your time with DD

Peach - Glad to hear your niece and the baby are doing well. 4 lbs is so tiny.

Betty ROC - You can do this.

Barbie - The planking pics are priceless.

Becca - An almost 20 lb loss in a year sounds good to me.

Mary - Shep is so cute I just want to cuddle with him.

Thank goodness for Chinooks
    -Sharon in Lethbridge.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    morning sweet friends~
    well got up early for me lately 3:30 when Tom left for work.. have laundry going..and then I did my meditation again.. and catching up here and having a cup of tea... I need new bra's so I finally measured myself and I am a 38-d.. ,have a walmart gift card so will go look for some over the shoulder boulder holders...take some stuff to goodwill.maybe check out the health food store and of course before all that, go feed my DFIL..
    my brother leaves sunday for a month long alcohol rehab in florida.. it has one of the highest sucsess ratings in the country.. my DSIL is dipping into there saving to pay for this.. they do have someone coming to take care of mom when Jean isnt working,but Valentines weekend I will be on duty..
    got a call from our dear neighbors...that used to live behind us here and bought in a 55 area here in town, we check the house while they are in Florida... they know about Tom and I , and they are a big support..
    will speak with him this weekend and see if he made any attempt to contact behavioral health..
    Happy Birthday Rori and Kimses xoxo
  • sweetnsouthernsass
    sweetnsouthernsass Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Down 1.4 lbs this morning!
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Janetr....you are completely hidden by that narrow post, but we can see your skinny shadow. Love that smile, you look really happy.

Mary.....that's some cute puppy! Beautiful hardwood floors, aren't those what you recently installed when you were doing the marathon reno?

Gotta buckle down, my recent trip down the dumps has caused a 3 lb. weight gain over my goal. No surprise there. I joined a 100 day challenge last week and now I'm 1.5 lbs. more than my logged in starting weight which was entered last week. I'm going the wrong way!!! HELP!! Fortunately I did stronglifts last night after taking almost a week off and had my early morning date with the elliptical this morning. Eating back too many exercise calories though.

As long as I don't check my Powerball ticket to verify that it lost, I can still fantasize that I won.

Off to the showers, everyone have a wonderful day.

Chris in MA

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Here's a link to the business profile that went in the paper today. Rough picture, but nice article. Since no one here is within a few hundred miles, it's not advertising, I figure! Into town for a meeting tonight on what's needed to get the Chamber Banquet together for February. Work out in the morning, and then back to the ranch.

Weather really is all relative, huh. Don't see how y'all stand the below-freezing temps, it's hard enough here for the few days we get them. We like the summer, dry, heat, it makes both of us feel so much better in terms of joint aches and pains.

Short and sweet enough? >:)
    Have a great Thursday!
    Lisa in West Texas
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lisa - Rough picture? Maybe so, but it looks as though you're ready to pounce on anybody foolish enough to stage any shenanigans in someone else's RV. I see it as a good selling point. B)

I've got to chime in on temperatures - because everybody expects me to be worst off. Well, I'm not! You gals who often find yourselves in the path of what sweeps down off the Canadian tundra see temperatures WAY colder than mine. As a former Minnesota girl, I really sympathize!

So yeah, I've got a snowstorm, but at least it has the common decency not to venture into sub-zero temperatures on the Fahrenheit scale! Brrrrr!!!

Warm (((hugs))) to those who need them.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Tracie in Green Bay: Thanks to good news from the orthopedist, I will be able to take my horseback riding lesson on Saturday. :bigsmile: The horse belongs to my riding teacher and is a very well trained fellow. He's a grade gelding, quarter horse type confirmation, about 14 years old & has done very well in competitive Western Trail classes for her. She is currently training a younger guy who she'll use for competition. The new guy is a Mustang she bought wild from an Indian tribe. I have never owned a horse because of finances. I probably could afford one now, but this situation is so good for me that I don't want to change. I don't live in a place where I could keep a horse and don't really have enough time to give the sort of care a horse deserves. I may consider a partial lease in the future, though. As to the orthopedist, I fell on the ice and have a compression fracture in my right wrist. :ohwell: He says I can ride with the wrist brace on. :bigsmile:

Grits: You are so close to the BMI goal I've no doubt you'll reach it, and fairly soon! You've accomplished a lot. WTG! :flowerforyou:

Heather: I think you're doing the best you can with the situation involving your old friend. I am sorry that you'll miss seeing the others, though. :heart: So sorry about the friend who is fighting a tough battle with cancer. :broken_heart:

Becca: I have a couple of free Bird apps that might help your bird research. One is Merlin Bird ID, and the other is Birdsnap. I use them all the time to identify birds we see from our windows and when we are out on a trip somewhere. :flowerforyou:

Tawnyasever: I have the darndest time trying to use my iphone to stay in touch with this group. I usually get here from my computer and use the iphone to log my calories. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:

Cheri NE OH: From my vantage point you are still a "sweet young thing." It is all a matter of perspective. I am currently healthier and happier than I was 57, and the support form this great group has played a significant part in that health & happiness. Stick around! :flowerforyou:

Pip: Respond as you can and keep letting us know how you're doing! :heart:

Mary: What a cutie! I love the photo. :bigsmile:

janetr: Great photo! You look like you're having fun. :smiley:

Lisa: I agree about the nice article. I'll bet it brings some business your way. The local newspaper could get a better photographer, though. This one doesn't seem to know enough about lighting. :grumble:

Penny at the Pole: I am astounded that your temperatures are less severe than those in the midwest and Canada. :noway:

I had trouble sleeping last night and am up and the crack of dark. I'm planning to go to Zumba with my neighbor and my DH this morning. DH & I will ride the recumbent bikes in the machine room while my neighbor dances.

Tomorrow I get to ride!!!!!! WAHOO! Last time I lost a stirrup while cantering and had to stop to regain it, proof positive that I still have work to do on balance, along with a long list of other things. Advice from experienced riders is always welcome. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    PennyYou've got me thinking in terms of veggies today. I'm not much of a salad fan, but I do like a nicely diced pile of fresh veggies with a light dressing on them (I'm very much into Penzy's Green Goddess now). So, today, I'm going to experiment with veggies.

I'm 58 today. I remember when I thought 50 was old, but hey, 58 feels just fine. Although I was thinner in my younger years, I sure wouldn't want to go back there!

Happy Birthday Rori too.

I haven't done much of planning yet, but will. And I will get my exercise in.

Lisa Great write-up and great idea. Could you store cars and motorcylces too? My husband loves his toys but has to keep both his special car and motorcycle in the garage which means my car is out in the snow.

Will be back later.

Kimses in MA
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Rori & Kimses ~ Happy late birthday! Hope it was a great day.

Mary ~ Shep is a doll. So cute.

I don't write much cause my life is very, very quiet and I love it.

Carol
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Kimses and Rori - Happy birthday!

Kimses - yep, we have probably 1500 square feet of covered warehouse where we could keep motorbikes and a ramp to it, so easy sneezy... Cars are a different story, they'd have to be in the uncovered space. Hopefully make enough money to make all the outdoor half-acre covered space someday. *sigh* Didn't win the lottery again, so I guess we'll just have to take it slow. :hushed:

Lisa in West Texas
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    t3361.gif Rori and Kimses

239603iu9tyt3tga.gif Katla how great that you can ride again
  • Katla49
    Options
    Barbie: I love the cantering horse! I need to find the code so that I can use it, myself. :heart:

There is an MFP regular named Susannah who just posted a link to an article about using DVD's to exercise. I know that some of you love DVD's and others do not. I thought I'd post the link and find out what you think about it.

Exercise DVDs could be psychologically harmful for users, new research shows http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160108083733.htm

Katla
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    OK girls - wait for it -
    I DID IT I DID IT I DID IT I DID IT I DID IT! :drinker:

The pain of not ringing the mobile phone company got to be greater than the pain of ringing them. :ohwell: So I abandoned my writing for the morning and rang them. They answered quickly (previously it had been ages) and an intelligent and helpful girl talked me carefully and slowly through what she was doing to get my refund on the phone and the postage refunded.
    The reason why I can't get onto my account is because of the cancellation, so she has shut down the old account and told me to re register after 24 hours. She was so helpful I could not stop thanking her. :laugh: Now we will see if it all works. :ohwell:

I was so empowered I emailed my girlfriends group and bowed out of any spring/early summer meet ups. I said I would reboot for the autumn. I then offered to meet the difficult friend in our local town for lunch one day. Now the ball's in her court. Bet she doesn't. I prefer her one to one.
    Katla - I see my nice friend almost monthly anyway, so it's just the Scottish friend I miss out on. Autumn will be fine. :D

I have yet to check my bank account to see if my olive oil money is back in there.

Anyway, with nagging problems attended to I feel much lighter. DH is off tonight to his sister before going up to Lincoln tomorrow to see his aged aunt. Weather a bit cold. :* I have to draw on all of your strength to stop me shirking my exercise in the morning and overeating and drinking in the evening. DJ - where's that boot? It's probably best if I don't have any alcohol. :'(

Love to all. Heather UK
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Kimses and Rori - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO BOTH OF YOU!

DH got me up this AM; but, then I fell promptly back to sleep; had to reschedule dentist appointment today. Won't get another appointment until Feb. 17th - RATS; unless they have a cancellation. I needed to go to make sure my gum surgery was healed enough to have another night guard made. I don't know what's wrong with me; but, it does not take me much to sleep or stumble into things. I'm thinking it is because of the weight I've lost, my bipolar meds need to be readjusted.

Bought some 'odor eliminator' and used it a couple of times; now it won't spray. Called the Pet Supermarket and they told me their truck comes in today and to call them back tomorrow, since they don't have any on the shelf. It sprayed the first couple of time; now it won't. I'll do that tomorrow and take Cracker in for her 2nd sets of shots and get the vet to trim her nails. She's got Grinch feet and I don't think she'd let me do it, not that I wasn't to. The thought makes me sick, afraid I'd get them back in the quick. She's not very happy with me, she had to have another bath yesterday because she got into something that almost smelled like she'd been sprayed by a skunk. But, not totally sprayed. Maybe she was barking at this strange little kitty-looking thing and it got scared. Sprayed her crate and pad really good - basically got the pad wet; so the next day, she did not have the strong odor to her. This time I got into the tub with her, to bathe her. She settled down a little than when I try to lean over the tub.

Going in to town to have lunch with my BF; still have the sleepiness - so I am going to just sit here and let it run is course.

Lenora
  • Katla49
    Options
    I love this, Barbie! Testing:

239603iu9tyt3tga.gif
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the birthday wishes.
    I saw this article on Quora which I thought was applicable to this group (although I look more like the baby elephant doing planks!)

Is there a point in doing the plank exercise for more than 5 minutes?

Anibal Cabral, Business Owner, NPC National Physique Competitor

Planking is a resistance exercise and if you are able to keep a plank for more than a couple of minutes, most likely there is not enough resistance. Maybe you are not performing the exercise correctly. While doing a plank most people think all they need to do is stay up as long as possible and this is incorrect.
    If and when you perform a plank correctly, you should tighten up your abs as much as possible. When this is done correctly your abs should feel like they are on fire after just a few seconds.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Katla, I have always known that about exercise videos, so when I did talks to mental health clients and staff I always recommended using Richard Simmons' Sweatin' to the Oldies. He has people of all different shapes and sizes and fitness levels as well as having a good warm up, progressive aerobics that are low impact, and a good slow down. I had all of his VHS (yes, it was a while ago) and I used them every day myself before I got bone on bone arthritis. I even had my son dub one that had my favorites on it. That one I still have somewhere and as soon as I find it I plan on using it again (I took all of the others to the Goodwill when my orthopedic surgeon told me NO exercise but swimming. He was wrong.)

Kimses, I don't do "planks" but my PT has me tighten up my belly muscles like I am pulling my belly button to my spine, and I find that my mind won't remember to keep them tight for that long anyway! After about 60 seconds my mind wanders, and then I have to remind myself to tighten up again. So when I hear of people doing long planks I think they must be incredibly focused! Now I know that they probably are just like me! With my bum shoulder and wrists I cannot get in the position to do planks. The tight belly muscles help support my lower spine that has arthritis in it, so I have less pain now.