WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Miriam See? All those folks that say they hold a plank for 5 minutes have their butts sticking up in the air!

Because my wrist is still healing from the bad break in May, I use weights on the floor to grab on to so my wrists don't have to bend. I do that with Yoga too. I looked at some contraptions for this that cost about $50 but the weights work just fine. Where there's a will there's a way.

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Alison ~ Lovely job you and your DH did. Everything looks beautiful.

Cute pups!

Carol
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Allie: the kitchen is fabulous! It will be a real asset when you are ready to sell. :bigsmile:

Heather: I am in complete agreement with you. Calories In minus Calories Out, aka CICO, is the deciding factor in weight gain or loss for 90% of us who don't have a medical issue that causes weight gain. When calories out are greater than calories in weight loss can occur. It can be impacted by things such as sodium that can contribute to water retention. Drinking extra water often solves that problem, though. I also think that losing weight at a moderate or slow pace is more likely to be permanent. We need to establish new habits and that takes time. A healthier lifestyle needs to be a priority and the support of like minded people is vital. That is why this group is so wonderful. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,730 Member
    Options
    Wowsers grandmalle !!!
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the puppy love! Porter is a Jack Russell-Schnauzer and every bit as ornery as those eyes would indicate. He was only about 6 months old in that picture from a year ago. Gimli is miniature long haired Dachsund and Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - just a hairy little dwarf.

Allie - love the kitchen - since I didn't win the lottery last night, I guess I'm going to have to live with the one I have. I vowed to do something about the pre 1970's knotty pine cabinetry if it kills me. Built solid as a rock, but orange is not an attractive color for me. I see a large amount of sandpaper and paint in my future.

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Allie your kitchen in gorgeous! Very nice job!

Cheri NE Ohio
  • argieroj
    argieroj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started OA and I'm working the 12 steps. it's making a big difference
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Katla- Thanks for the bird info! I found a bird that is called The Great Popoo which is like an owl. They are night hunters but during the day they sit on high tree branches perfectly still, look like the bark on the tree. At night they emit this low moaning sound which is eerie sounding.

Becca
    the unusual bird finder
    in Oregon

• Annr
    edited January 2016
    Options
    oh....HAPPY BIRTHDAY Roriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii & Kimsesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!! I would sing you opera style but my throat is froggy from my cold!!! (((hugs)))
    Becca
    Ms. Froggy Throat
    in Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Great news on my journey!!! I have kick started it and seem to be humming! After my cold got better (around the 9th of this month) I challenged a friend to losing 3 lbs this week. Then I joined a forum challenging me to lose 20 by Easter, so I had my work cut out for me. My stats presently:

CW- 232.6 (today)
    SW- 236.8 (for Easter Challenge) on 1-09-16
    GW- 216.8 (for Easter Challenge)
    GW- 179 (long term)

I know 4.2 lbs since the 9th seems a bit extreme, but I eating really healthy stuff! Look at my journal, to me it looks absolutely amazing! Eating cleaner, drinking my 80 oz of water daily, exercising regularly, going to bed and waking up at reasonable times (and with mate), do not eat after 7 pm, and generally having a blast fixing all my meals. I am doing the weighing and measuring then putting everything on a plate as the pre-prep work. Then I have my Moraccan mint tea to drink as I start their meal. Then I incorporate my meal in the preparing, just fixing and having fun. The fact that I got two new pans makes things AWESOME.

Granted I am eating 1200 calories, but it is working wonderfully. I have a nightly 100 bag of popcorn and that is taking care of any snacking I have, plus it (soaks up all the water I have been drinking!). Its just that I have to pop the bag practically right after I get done with dinner, so I can NOT be eating after 7 pm. It has been making my innards feel better not having food on the stomach as I get to sleep.

Drinking less coffee, and that feels better too. One large 12 oz mug of coffee, and that is just to start this old body up. I used to drink 3 of those so I have cut back!

(can you tell Im excited about this journey??) Great job on all of you that are doing things right and paying attention to your own health! Its so empowering isn't it?

Becca
    Happy dancing in
    Oregon
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Becca ... Glad to hear you're journey is moving g forward again!

Celtikgirl and Mary ... Cute pooch pics!

Allie ... The kitchen is beautiful!

Katla and Heather ... I'm with you both on CICO. This is ultimately what works for me. I limit but don't eliminate gluten based carbs. All other carbs are fair game in my diet... As long as I log them and have room for them.

Pip ... We know you're here! Posting is optional.

Janetr ... A 2x??! What were you thinking?

Went to the gym again today ... Feel like I'm finding my rhythm again. Pushed a little harder ... Will see what part of my body is protesting tomorrow!

Beth near Buffalo

• Annr
    Options
    Thanks Beth, me too! My cold was definitely NOT how I wanted to start the new year. My son has it now....
    Becca
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    Thank ya'll for the kitchen love..after 7 long long months its finally finished, the contractor came today and finally hooked up the dishwasher we will use once or twice a year ...
    I have been busy busy today. swept and washed the floors, made muffins,chicken pot pie(that Tom didnt like) and little pizza pockets for him...
    I did spend almost 29.00 at stew leonards today.. just on me...they make spiral veggies,yes. yes i know i should just get a veggetti thing at walmart, next time i will.. but get this..
    I got spiral beets, and spiral squash and carrots, and a kale salad mix and blueberries.. they didnt spiral cut the blueberries :0
    I am almost up to 10,000 steps.. and I have my alarm clock set, gym clothes out, and work clothes out..
    wish me luck...
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Good Thursday to each of you. Well didn't win the big powerball so had to get up and come to work.LOL. Going to be a beautiful day up to almost 50. I am working long shift today (6-5:30) and then tonight it is to get cold and chance of snow the next couple days. I went walking with my friend yesterday and she is doing a lot better. She did get into seeing the counslor and they told her she is depressed and got her back on her meds. I am still concerned, but not as much. DH went to work this morning, but has a terrible head cold. Life is fun.

Tracie--Welcome. I agree we do have a lot in common. You have been thru a lot and so glad to have you join our group.

Chris in MA--Thanks for sharing the pictures and all I can say is WOW!!

Joyce--Sending hugs and prayers for both of you.

Allison--Sending hugs and prayers for you also. A lot has been going on with you so take care of yourself. Love the pictures of your kitchen. looks like you guys did a great job.

Peach--Glad to hear baby and mom are doing well.

Heather--Sorry to about your friend with cancer. I keep telling myself just being there for her to talk to is the best I can do. I keep telling her the first year after you lose someone is the hardest. This month would be their 51 Ann. and with the holidays just over is a lot to handle. So proud of you for taking care of business and glad you feel better.

Cheri--Happy Birthday!

Katla--So happy that you get to ride.

Well it is that time of day again and I am all caught up again. Take care ladies.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • Annr
    Options
    grandmallie Oooh I would have eaten your chicken pot pie!! I have fond memories of eating the frozen pot pies as a youngen.... I know gross, but to learn how to put the hot pie on a plate, then putting another plate over it and flipping them over, see that was an awesome thing to learn. Seeing the pie all inverted, with the sauce going everywhere on the plate. Yummo! Great job on the pre-planning going to the gym! I have wanted to try the spiral veggies.... Especially to put zucchini (my fav veggie) into a pasta dish...
  • Annr
    Options
    Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE Aww I didn't win either..... Be care with the snow and such!! Glad your friend is doing better. I have a friend in CA that suffered from depression and anxiety. Her therapist showed her this unique "touch therapy" for her face. Seems strange, but there is a tapping involved and different places to tap on your face. What the idea is, is to make you focus on the present, to kind of get you into a rhythm kind of zen place in your mind. She said it worked miracles. Something maybe more to anxiety than depression I am thinking. My husband has a wee bit of a head cold, but sadly he can't take any medicine because of his liver transplant. Makes it hard to treat him that is for sure. ((hugs)) have a good rest of the week. I am planning on attending a crab festival on Saturday, and then visiting MIL on Sunday (a overdue Christmas visit)
    Becca
    Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Alison looks wonderful!
  • Annr
    edited January 2016
    Options
    url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]271528.png[/url]

So I went thru my past medical history summaries, and noted that my heaviest weight date was most recent in 2014, so I deleted past weights to make that my starting weight date on here. Back then I weighed 263 lbs, so its nice to see how far I have come to being at the present weight of 232 lbs. Thanks everyone!!!
    Becca
    trying to be visually realistic on here
    and in Oregon
  • DLS1029
    DLS1029 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Allie - love the kitchen! Now you will love getting in there to cook ;)

Becca - sounds like a great plan you've made! Good luck on your journey!

I'm hoping to see the scale start moving down again myself. I know I need to exercise more, but I have so much going on in my life it seems there is not much time left for me. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Donna in WV

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Allie, what a great kitchen!
    Miriam, you sure have a sweet looking house!
    Betty