WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Lisa: Nice article! Great idea too. Good luck!

Katla: Your riding lessons sound like so much fun! A wild mustang? I’ll bet that is a beautiful horse! I’m sure they both are. I would love to see pictures. Congratulations on going back to riding and getting the nod of approval from the ortho! FUN! I miss being around horses. I had always wanted to take riding lessons and always dreamed of having a horse. When my DH and I built a house in the country in 2006, I bought my first horse from a good friend of mine who lived a quarter mile away. I boarded him at her house (they have a farm) and we used to go trail riding together. His name was Lightening, and trust me…never buy a horse as a novice rider that is named Lightening! He turned out to be a bit much for me to handle, so my friend bought him back and I bought another horse named Eddie. Eddie was an older “bomb-proof” horse and I loved him to pieces. I actually rescued him, brought him to Katie’s to board and my DH and I went there every day and fattened him up with special bowls of oats and molasses. Now, circumstances made us sell our home and move to town so no more horses for me. Eddie passed away a couple years ago but he had a happy last few years. They were both quarter horses.

Rori & Kimses: Happy birthday!

Pip: Love your car! Also love the pictures of your dogs. We have a black lab and he's just a sweetie pie.

Terri in Milwaukee: Thanks for the dates! We’ll talk more and make a date before then! Excited to meet you! By the way, love the sticker idea. I’m definitely a visual person so might have to try this too.

Allie: Beautiful kitchen!

Celtikgirl: Your dogs are so cute!

Miriam: I love your house! It looks so homey.

Barbie: Happy Anniversary!

Had my first physical therapy appointment today after my knee surgery. They said I'm doing really well and were surprised actually that I was only a week out. He said I can start riding a bike if I want. No going for walks or treadmill or stairs yet. But I was glad to hear I could go to the gym and get some activity in. I can't wait to take a walk and not hurt. Excited to let the healing begin!

Everyone is in bed and I stayed up so I could have some quiet time to myself. Our 16-year-old grandddaughter has been living with us for about a year now and my husband has been off of work from an injury since April, so I find I don't get any time to myself to recharge my batteries. On one hand I want to go to bed early so I can get up earlier in the morning to exercise before work, but at the same time I find myself staying up late just to get some quiet time. It's a two-edged sword!

Well, have a good night everyone! just wanted to check in.

Tracie in Green Bay
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Wow, I was all caught up on posts last night before I went to bed and tonight there at almost 100 new posts. It’s great that everyone on this site is so active and supportive, but now I’m going to have to skim or I’ll be up all night. :)

All the puppy pictures are just adorable, but I’m going to have to get some new pictures of my kitty to post.

I’ve been listening to the Republican debate while I’m online tonight. Won’t comment because I don’t want to get into a political debate on this forum. All I’ll say is that I will be so glad when these Iowa caucuses are over because we’ve been hearing about this election for more than a year now. Yikes. :p

Allie – Love, love, love your kitchen!

Logjavannah, TrainerZumb, Martina, and anyone else that is new – Welcome!

I’ve applied for a fitness program through a community group in our town. They partner with the local grocery store and a local gym and offer a 12-week program once a year. If I’m selected, I will get a biometric screening at the beginning and end of the program and I’ll get to participate in a bunch of classes on eating/cooking healthy and on exercise. They only selected 15 people last year, so I hope I am selected! I’ll find out the end of this month.

OK, it’s late, the debate is over, and I’m ready to head off to bed. <3

Linda/IA
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Tracie - I'm glad you're doing so good. You will be walking in no time! You certainly do have a full house. I like my alone time too. When will your DH be able to go back to work?

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • suzannejanewilkinson
    Options
    Hello
    Suzanne here, new to the group.
    I have been fat since about 8 months after my wedding, 28 years ago. Marriage agreed with me too much!!
    Increased in size with children, a good excuse to eat. I come from a line of big women - all my close female relatives are large.
    Now trying to finally do something about it... Have a looooooooong way to go, but just started and focussed.
    My main motivation - I travel quite a bit and am fed up with being the biggest person in the room, I am finding planes a nuisance (the seats are shrinking) - and I no longer want to be the person who aims for the cake tray several times a meeting.
    Aiming for a few pounds off a week, so far finding the going tough, but will keep checking in for the motivational stories.
    Finding all your stories inspiring, thanks everyone...
    Suzanne
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Rori and Kimses- Happy Birthday!!!

Allie – the kitchen is beautiful!!!

All good here, we had a bunch of thunder today- which is unusual for us; and Levi was beside himself – barking at the windows. Kinda silly; but he was still scared.

I really have been playing a lot, it is a quieter time for the business – but it would be a good time for me to get “ahead” on some things instead I have been enjoying friends and doing a lot of ball playing with Levi.

I have also been thinking about the cleaning/organizing/clutter control you all have mentioned, while I am pretty organized I do have a few areas that could be better, and I am working on those, one of them is my pantry. Because I love to cook and will try all sorts of stuff I do end up with some ingredients I buy for a recipe and then never use again, or am gifted and have not used or not used up.

Todays was a bit funny, I had committed to bringing a treat to garden club and one of the things in my cupboard was malted milk powder – I bought it for a recipe, used 2 tablespoons, hated the recipe and never used it again. So google to the rescue! Malted milk cupcakes – had everything it called for I put together the recipe; go to measure out the malted milk powder, opened the jar and something had happened to it and there was not white powder but a gob of black sludge…. Oh yuck! Well I was not going to buy more, so just left it out… and made a really nice chocolate cupcake, a bit moister and with a smaller crumb than most cupcakes, but a hit at garden club. I did try one without frosting, as I was not sure what leaving out a cup of malted milk powder would do but all was well. – yes I counted the calories and it put me over by a few (but not too bad) And the best is they are all gone, so no temptation for tomorrow.

Kim from N. California
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Kimses and Rori and happy anniversary Barbie. Festive group today. I guess we are all celebrating the 3 people who won the big one. I agree on the debate although I didn't listen. Will be very glad when November rolls around and it is all over. I hope that is not political in nature and not allowed. I jsut want my normal obnoxious commercials back!!!!!! LOL

Mary, your puppy is so cute and I love those ears. Can't believe how big he has grown. But he will get MUCH bigger. I remember one time we went to the city pound to drop off something. There was a station wagon, you can tell how long ago it was if there was a station wagon there, that had just pulled up. He went inside to see if they would take his puppies and Mom. I think he left them outside with another adult o see if he could get some one to get the puppies free instead of what they would charge inside. Well of course my girls thought they were jsut precious. well I did to. But Charlie had us look at their feet and reminded us how big they were at puppyhood and they would be much bigger. We did not get those precious puppies, 2 sad girls.

Buddy was big enough for us. He grew up with the girls. He was a Sheltie and so, so precious. He was like a doll and let them do anything. He looked just like Lassie except he was a sheltie instead of a collie. We got him from a family that had the parents on site so we could see them. His dad had longer legs than a regular sheltie so he was tall. But not as tall as a collie. We have friends that have 4 collies in their home and I think they are crazy!

Today was our monthly lunch with the retired nurses. Every month we have about 6 that confirm then on the day only about 3 of us show up. We went to Azzip pizza, I had the little 1/2 & 1/2 Azzip which is half an 8 inch and half salad. I had just cheese with mushrooms, onions, roma tomatoes and spinach. Sauce isn't much to speak about. I thought we were going to the east side, arrived 5 minutes early so I could put 2 tables together, sat there for 10 minutes and no one shows up. Then one of them called and asked where I was. Well I am sitting right there in Azzip! No, it was the west side one. So I had to drive all the way across town. Bummer. Next month it will be Olive Garden. So I will have to see which of the soups are the best for me. I hope I can resist the breadsticks.

Joyce, Indiana
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    welcome suzanne checking in with these active ladies is motivating for me. Remember, this is for life, slow and steady wins the race and plateaus are part of that so dont get discouraged if the scale stops moving after you drop some initial weight. Just keep logging and moving.

Family went out for an impromptu dinner, my favorite kind! I am going past my calorie count on that one but right back to reality today.

All you organizers send those decluttering powers to me this weekend as i tackle the basement . I will try to figure out how to take a pic to post but no promises on that, :s
    Karen from ny
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,372 Member
    Options
    Barbie - A VERY Happy Anniversary to you! <3

Cheri - Have a lovely birthday! :flowerforyou:

Any other birthdays I've missed, hope it was a good one. :love:

Well folks - I had the weirdest time after DH left. :noway: I got involved in watching a recorded series that has been waiting on my video for when I'm alone. Didn't start until 10pm and kept meaning to go to bed, but kept going for the full 6 hours. Finished at gone 4 am. Ate a bit as well, but I have logged it all. >:) Part of me really enjoyed "sinning" and having the space to do what I felt like, but another part was a bit disappointed with myself.
    The good part is, I woke up at 8 am and without giving myself a chance to draw breath I got straight on my machines and burned off 600 calories. o:) Still haven't had even a cup of tea! Lots of water.
    So, damage limitation has been achieved and I will have my breakfast for lunch. I feel like a naughty teenager - I'm not fit to be left home alone without a minder!!!! :ohwell:

Love to all. Heather in the cold and sunny south of the UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,826 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    well had a nasty nights sleep, and i didnt go to the gym.. I will try and get there tomorrow.. i did steam my veggies to have for lunch with a little no sugar spagetti sauce , and a few clementines...will go feed DFIL today and then go to work... am going to go get blood work done in the morning as I have to do a 24 hr urine catch ,and want to be able to do that over the weekend that I am not working..
    I did meditate this morning. so trying to get into doing something daily that is good for me..
    Celti~ we had a 1960's kitchen same type of cabinets as you with the hammered wrought iron hinges, it is an L shaped kitchen and when we bought it the dining and living room were closed off with pocket doors,we had to keep a post but opened it all up.
    we spent waaayyyyy more than we wanted and hopefully will get it back once we sell.. hoping the economy doesnt tank...
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I got involved in watching a recorded series that has been waiting on my video for when I'm alone. Didn't start until 10pm and kept meaning to go to bed, but kept going for the full 6 hours. Finished at gone 4 am. Ate a bit as well, but I have logged it all. >:) Part of me really enjoyed "sinning" and having the space to do what I felt like, but another part was a bit disappointed with myself.
    The good part is, I woke up at 8 am and without giving myself a chance to draw breath I got straight on my machines and burned off 600 calories. o:) Still haven't had even a cup of tea! Lots of water.
    So, damage limitation has been achieved and I will have my breakfast for lunch. I feel like a naughty teenager - I'm not fit to be left home alone without a minder!!!! :ohwell:

Love to all. Heather in the cold and sunny south of the UK
    I do that too. My husband goes to work his tail off at some international conference in Faraway-istan and I watch Pride and Prejudice from start to finish (the mini-series with Colin Firth, not the feature film with Keira Knightley). If I'm disciplined, I don't have a sherry with each episode, but I'm sorry to say I'm not always disciplined.smiley-ashamed005.gif

He's away now, too, but I have been VERY GOOD this time. o:)
    /Penny at the warm but definitely not sunny emoticon-object-026.gif
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    DH woke me up this AM to have a fresh cup (or 2, actually 3) and I told him that last night was full of REM sleep because I dreamed all night long. Dreamed I married a boy is my former HS class and we went traveling right after with his parents in tow. Not in the same car; but, in the same room. We went to the Citadel to looks around; and then we went looking for a place for us to live; and, the houses were like the French Quarter in New Orleans; where we settled on an apartment had a deck that overhung the street and had a court yard. It was weird. I always thought this guy was incredibly stuck-up in HS; but, had a chance to meet him as an adult with he came to one of my lunch groups we have when I go to Macon to a MD, WEIRD!!!! We were older like in real time; but, his parents are both dead. WEIRD! I don't know where DH was but we came back to the house and several of my DDnL#1's family were in my house when we came home. More weird. I slept really good; other than this silly dream.

Lenora
  • DLS1029
    DLS1029 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Went to bed at 7:30 last night. I was a grouch with everybody, even the puppy. Feel better this morning. Left for work at 5:25 am to decorate the office for a birthday today.

I am back to tracking and have been trying to stretch and walk every day.

I would like to respond to some posts, but that will have to wait until later when I'm at home. This community is a busy place!!

Happy Friday, everybody!!! :)
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    t2002.gif Lillian, you asked about the graphics I post.....here are a few guidelines that might get you started:

http://www.freesmileys.org/

http://www.glitter-graphics.com/

http://yoursmiles.org/

These are three sites I've used to find graphics for my posts. Each one of them is a little different in the way you find the graphic you want and how you copy and paste the code onto your post.

On free smileys you copy and paste the "forum" code
    On glitter graphics you copy and paste the BB code
    On yoursmiles you click on the smiley and a code shows up above the smileys and you copy and paste that code.

Try out one of the sites and see how it works.

smiley-cool05.gifBarbie

Thank you very much Barbie - I wrote it down this time - seems my memory has trouble remembering this.

Lillian
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Cherie!

Happy Anniversary Barbie!

Carol in Rainy GA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    b0301.gif My husband and I are both retired....I go to dance classes three mornings a week and walk the dogs for about an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon so he has the house to himself a bit each day. He goes out about twice a month for lunch with a friend and otherwise is home all day every day. Fortunately he needs more sleep than I do so he gets up later and frequently takes an afternoon nap and I stay awake. I treasure my time alone because there is so little of it. I love our time together and we have plenty of that.

:)Joyce, the political ads and programs on TV drive me crazy (even the ones featuring the occasional candidate that I like a lot) but right after the election in November, the ad time on TV will begin to feature Christmas and that irks me just as much as the political stuff. Fortunately we watch almost all TV using our DVR so we can fast forward through all the stuff we don't want to watch.

:)Suzanne I hope you will keep coming back...it helped me to take baby steps and be open minded to new ideas. I have been coming back here one day at a time for a long time and have made changes in my life that achieved the results I was looking for.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Now I am being stared at by Brandy who want to go for her walk.

<3 Barbie
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone. It was a low key day. I goofed off from work and took it easy. We went out for a nice dinner last night and I had red snapper with sweet potato hash. (it was Paleo night at the restaurant). It was perfect! No excess food.

Today I will finish 1 month of P90x3. I'm much less sore now. When I first started I could barely move afterwards. My knees are doing much better. I definitely feel much stronger. I haven't really lost any weight, but I think that will come. This is the point where I usually give up (after a month of hard work and no weight loss). So, I am struggling a bit. I think what will save me this time is that I've gotten into a good routine that is sustainable.

So....onward I go!

Kimses in MA
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,837 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! I have been on MFP for a two/three years, but I just found this thread. FINALLY! I am turning 50 this year, but because I went through menopause early, my body is reacting to food and exercise differently than before. I have been looking for a group of women who may know what I am talking about. My workout pals are younger than I am, my fitness coach friends are younger than I am (and mostly male) and I feel like they don't understand what I am talking about regarding exercise and limitations etc. I am finding that I have to work harder/longer to get weight off and I have to be really strict with my food choices because the smallest portion of something I used to be able to eat will cause problems, now. Any of you have any good tips about controlling the menopause weight monster? What exercises are working for you to get rid of the tire around the middle?
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,837 Member
    Options
    Let's see January goals: drink more water, get out and walk more, get my 2015 tax statements out to clients, get my 2015 tax paperwork in order.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,372 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Redeemed myself a bit by having a low cal Asian soup for lunch. Logging 200. o:)
    Then I felt I needed more penance so I am in the process of making a seeded, wholemeal loaf. Not too difficult as I have a KitchenAid, but it feels very cleansing to be doing something good for my DH. I'm afraid I scraped the bowl, so I'm adding 50 cals for raw bread dough. He will be so happy when he comes home to fresh, homemade bread. I used to make a lot of bread, but I have lapsed on all my baking recently.

I think a nap is on the cards today. :D

Penny - I'm glad I'm not the only series binger on here. I've never done it before and I really enjoyed it. >:) I'm pleased that at least I managed to rein in the alcohol - only had twice my normal amount so will count that as Friday's portion and have Thursday's tonight. Hope I can stick to that. I would be safer not to have any. :ohwell:

Kimses - have you taken your measurements? You might find you have lost an inch or two. :flowerforyou:

Love Heather UK