WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversaries and birthdays to everyone who is having one!

Cheri, your trip to Chicago makes me want to go! Where in Chicago will you be? Last time I went, we stayed in Oak Park for my step father's 90th birthday, five years ago.

We stay in our daughters 1 bed apt in the Gold Coast area. Our son is in a studio a couple blocks away. City life for sure!

Heading out now. About a 7 hour drive depending on bathroom stops!

Happy Friday!

Cheri in NE oHIo
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Cheri, when I was in college I waited tables at the Marshall Field's restaurant in the Water Tower Place. I went to U of Chicago. My mom lived in the Lincoln Park area. I lived in the Lincoln Park area for one year in '68, then we moved to the suburbs. We were poor, but ended up in Lake Forest next to the highway. Great school system, so I am thankful for that. And I learned that money does NOT mean happiness. Some of the most miserable kids I met where there and their family's wealth did NOT make them happy. It is funny, because my siblings went the other way, made a priority to be wealthy. Several other friends that were poor there also made becoming wealthy a priority. Hasn't made any of them any happier.
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Heather I didn't take my measurements until last week, so I don't know if I've lost any inches. But for the sake of keeping me motivated, let's say I did!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I am still having a hard time sleeping at night time so I am just getting up and will do my exercises. The puppy really keeps me busy during the day as well. He is so funny I have taught him how to jump off of all 4 feet into the air. He is a very quick learner. He does all of the normal tricks and his favorite thing is fetching. Before I throw him the ball I make him sit then I motion with my arms up and he will jump off of all 4 feet into the air and then I throw him the ball. It is hilarious to watch. It's nice to have a companion during the cold winter months. Any other ideas for cool pet tricks?

CarolNC - i'm just wondering how your nephew is doing since his accident? We have been keeping him in our prayers and I think of him often.

Barbie - just wondering how your legs are doing. It sounds as though you still get your dancing in. I'm glad that you enjoy being with and doing things with your DH it sounds so romantic!

Have a Great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    In January last year my insurance changed, requiring a new primary care physician and a whole bunch of wellness crap. At that first visit I weighed 275 and my blood pressure was through the roof. The doc put me on bp meds and has been monitoring thyroid levels every few months. (I've been on thyroid meds for 40 years.) At my last visit just before Christmas he casually mentioned that his PA was starting a weight counseling option for patients and if I was interested, he would let her know.

After some investigation, we determined that my insurance would cover this because my BMI put me in the morbidly obese category, so I signed up. My first appointment was last Friday where I weighed in at 255. The plan is simple enough - eat balanced, low fat, be conscientious about carbs, aim for 1400 calories per day and 2.5 hours of cardio activity per week.

Went for my first week check in this morning and I'm down to 248! I know seven pounds isn't going to happen every week, but it is a nice way to get things started! :)
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Celticgirl- congratulations! That is a very nice loss. It sounds like you have a great plan for success.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I've been reading but not posting--feeling a little overwhelmed with life right now, but getting better. It took me an extra day off work to recover from the eye surgery. I hate it when I'm not as strong/resilient as I think I ought to be!! I still have to go back on the 26th to get the stitch out. Can we say DREAD?!?!?! However, my vision is much better than the doctor in town said it would be!! Both eyes have issues (one has a wrinkle in the retina and the other has a vitereal detachment) so I am happy to have both of them working together. The only downside is that I had them both corrected for distance (the right choice) so now I have to have reading glasses handy all of the time. Before, I could take out my contact and read without glasses. Small price to pay for being able to read road signs.

To whomever posted earlier about their printer not working with Windows 10, thanks for the heads up. My printer at work is pretty old so I went to the HP website and found that there are updated drivers available for Windows 10. I didn't want to have to get a new printer since this one works fine and money is short!

Happy birthdays and anniversaries to all those I missed. I hope your celebrations were just what you wanted!

My son is still living with me full-time. His dad and I will have another conversation before the weekend is out. I NEED some alone time! However, the boy child is happy with his classes and seems kinda happy to be at home. This has been a rough week for me to be on top of everything with him, but we will catch up a bit over the weekend.

I think I am going to NYC with my best friend this spring to attend her son's graduation ceremony. He is finishing up his Masters at Columbia and has promised to walk for her. She doesn't want to go by herself and I've never been, so I'm girding my loins to tackle the Big Apple.

Heather - I think it sounds like you had a wonderful evening alone!

Of course he didn't win, but my son bought a few lottery tickets last weekend. He told me that if he won with any of them that he would pay off my mortgage and buy me a new car. Not a real fancy car, but a regular car. And, a new TV. But not really big one. Maybe a 40" one. He was just as serious as could be. Sometimes it's good to be reminded of just how young he is. Reminded me a lot of the song "If I Had a Million Dollars" by the Barenaked Ladies.

I'm doing a pretty good at being back on track with food. Had a few slip ups but nothing astronomical. Once I'm past the danger point for my eye, I WILL get back into a regular exercise routine! Dang it!

Well, back to the process of re-learning how to use WordPress. Not fun when someone else set up the website and I can't figure out how and why they did it the way they did.

Hope everyone has a healthy day!

Carol in NC
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    966247mn6lidxqrb.gif to the birthday girls
    109283ci86etv5wf.gif to the anniversarians... :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    January Resolutions
    *meditate for 10 minutes a day four or more days a week (almost every day)
    *sort and discard papers for 15 minutes four or more days a week (filling recycle bin and shredder)
    *treat myself like a toddler (as suggested by Gretchen Rubin) (love this resolution)
    *get income tax papers gathered in one place (almost finished)

Today is our anniversary---# 27--and we are celebrating by doing what we like best---being home together, eating our healthy food, napping with our pets, and watching things we like on TV. We love our life together.
    b0349.gif

Happy Anniversary! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Penny - thanks to your motivating me, we went to the Farmers Market yesterday and bought vegetables. Of those that I have never tasted raw before, I bought ONE of several different types. Bought more of those I'm familiar with. Also got some fruits. I know I need to bump up my fiber intake which is hard to do when 50% of my caloric intake is supposed to be protien and I'm only able to eat such small quantities at a time. We shall see how it goes.

Jack is going four-wheeling all day, I'll use the alone time to hit the fitness center.

Didn't go to bed until 3:00 am and was up early. My head is still full and my nose running. :s
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    bwcetc -
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Sylvia ... Let me get this right ... A man asks if you want to see his molds and you follow him back to his rental?? :naughty:

What’s really sad is that Sylvia’s actions were exactly what I would have done in her shoes so it never occurred to my inner 12 year old boy to snicker at this. I’m losing my touch.

Mia in MI
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Janetr ~ My DH came home from his monthly antique show with a very bad cold in his head and chest. I had him take Cold Ease and then Theraflue at night and now he seems to be mostly over it. He slept almost all day on Mon and Tues but was ready to go out again on Wed.
  • DLS1029
    DLS1029 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Celtikgirl - Way to go! You can do it!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    Carol I understand you need for alone time. I too need a certain amount of time to myself time too.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Pip, I love your new bug. You should have fun with the flip top!!!

Dar, congrats on that additional loss. You have really started out with a bang. Great reward, so you will remember the milestone. Keep up the great work.

Tracie, I agree that many of these ladies are inspiring. You sound like your head is on straight so I know you will be successful and we are rooting for you.

Heather, I have a very good friend that often wants to talk about a subject that just totally turns me off. I do like her enough that I simply tell her that I’d rather not hear about it. Can you not let your friend know that you consider their activity a bit shady and would rather not hear about it?? It’s ashamed she is making it where you don’t want to be around her. Okay, my friend, I’m sending you a gentle nudge to call the phone company and I haven’t seen anything about writing for a few days, either. (((Hugs)))

Mary, Shep is just a doll!!!

Lisa, nice article! I hope your spaces fill up!

Katla, wooo hoooo that you can go horseback riding!! I’m so happy for you and happy it wasn’t worse than it is. (((Hugs)))

birthday.gif Kimses and Rori, Happy, Happy Birthday.

Heather, you know I’ll always put my boot on for you when you ask. smiley-devil16.gif So glad you called the phone company and hope all works out. Way to go!! (((Hugs)))

Allison, congrats on the kitchen being finished. Glad you got the clock for the lower price. It sounds like a fancy one.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I started reading and taking notes yesterday and had to leave to meet friend. Last night just didn’t have time to read more so when I logged on this morning there were 125 posts. Yikes. I’m only through page 43 but have to go get ready for a meeting. Will catch up later. This morning I did my fast movement in place for 15 minutes. I just feel good starting my day this way after my morning coffee and bran muffin each morning. The problem is, once I increase my time I never feel like I can go below that new mark.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    In Rainy Myrtle Beach, SC badday.gif
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    smiley-happy110.gif celtikgirl congrats....along with your special medical program, having a group of supportive friends like us who will listen and cheer and ask and answer questions is an essential component of reaching health and fitness goals.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Tracie: I have spent hours riding a recumbent bike over the last few years and am currently using one at the gym because mine is locked onto a bike trailer in the garage and I can't get it down by myself. The social aspect of the gym is a plus, though, and I even got DH to go with me the other day. It could be a good idea while you're recovering from surgery.. :flowerforyou:

Suzanne: Welcome. You've found a good place for support. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Everyone needs to be a naughty teen once in a while. :devil:

KJLaMore: Welcome to a great group. Basic advice is Calories in, Calories out. It works. The bad news is that you will need to take in fewer calories than before menopause. I like portion control as my main strategy and measure my food portions because it gives me the freedom to eat things I love and a healthy variety. I just don't get to eat as much as I once did. Good luck finding the strategies that work best for you. :flowerforyou:

Celticgirl: WTG! Your first week is a huge success. Keep up the good work! :smiley:

Yoga today is with my favorite instructor. Yay! I'm hoping that DH will go to the gym with me and use the recumbent bikes and weight machines. Since I have had two broken wrists due to falls on black ice in the past few years I wondered whether martial arts training in how to fall would be a good strategy. My kids are quite alarmed by this idea. I plan to talk to my yoga instructor and my doctor about it, and would enjoy hearing from anyone who has tried it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    DJ- Great job! 15 minutes is like a complete workout! It will get your body into fat burning mode.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Janetr ~ My DH came home from his monthly antique show with a very bad cold in his head and chest. I had him take Cold Ease and then Theraflue at night and now he seems to be mostly over it. He slept almost all day on Mon and Tues but was ready to go out again on Wed.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been taking Theraflu for over two weeks. Before we left Oklahoma.

Janetr okc
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Reminder for self... You can't outrun your food choices.