WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    (((KJ)))

Becca ~ Enjoy your crab legs (I love crab). Congrats on the weight loss.

Allison ~ My mom and dad were married for 37 yrs, had 5 children, and then divorced because Dad had taken up with one of his employees. They had a really messy divorce and mom ended up with her house and a settlement. They both got remarried and both divorced the new spouses. Dad married the same woman twice (not the employee he had the affair with). Mom married a retired Brig. General after only knowing him for a few weeks. Anyway, after 20 years of being apart, Mom sat with him every night in the small county hospital where he spent the last two years of his life. She was actually with him the night he passed. After he died, she got her last name changed back to his and plans to be buried beside him. For many, many years I prayed every night that they would stop fighting and I guess God answered that prayer but not in the way that I had originally hoped.

Have been totally off plan for the last two days and have not even tried to log. Was feeling depressed and angry at DH who practices road rage every time we get in the car. Will try to get back on track Monday.

Carol
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,978 Member
    Options
    "Discard anything that doesn't spark joy.

Life becomes far easier when you know that things will work out even if you are lacking something.".....marie kondo
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,697 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    KJ: Sending good thoughts for your sister and your whole family. :heart:

Alison: I am happy that you are counting your blessings. It puts things into a different perspective. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I've sent some things I'll never wear again off to the Senior Center Thrift Store, but there are others that are still just hanging around. I'm impressed with your letting go of sentimental things that will never be worn again. :flowerforyou:

I woke up tired and sore. I loved that I was able to ride yesterday, but I'm feeling some aches and pains from it today. Riding was 99% grand, but getting on and off was harder than usual and I have some grumpy shoulder muscles this morning. Next week I'll use the mounting block and that should help make things better for my shouders.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    After one whole week I am feeling this Biggest Loser Team Challenge is what I need right now. This was a get to know your tem week and there was no real challenge. Well, my team decided to add the questions "Why do you want to lose weight?" and "What is your greatest challenge to losing?" Taking the time to really consider my answer to both of those questions fanned the small spark of motivation in me. I spent this week making sure I log my food no matter what. I definitely went over my desired calories every day,but the logging made me more aware of my overall eating and I lost 1.5 lbs. this week.

Personal goal for next week is to have a minimum of 4 days where I am on track with my food. Also a minimum of 4 days where I get at least 15 min. of cardio exercise. I am baby stepping my way back into a fitness/healthy regime.

Mia in MI
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Celebrating my birthday last night at a Broadway show in Chicago!

xpx65hm2tlae.jpg

Cheri currently in FREEZING Chicago, IL
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    KJ - will remember your sister in prayer. It's a scary situation and not easy for any one involved. Praying for the best for her.

Janetr okc
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,348 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Did my writing! o:) For the first time in years I sat at a desk to type. I normally type on my laptop in bed, but have been finding it hard to cope with all the pages of scribble I am trying to work from. As I have DECLUTTERED my study/bedroom I was able to sit at a table and it was all much easier. Got more done than I have in a long time. :D

Made the Allbran loaf. Licked the spoon. >:) It looks good.

I have a few crockery items I want to get rid of. I definitely have too much kitchen stuff. This Christmas DH gave me a "dip" set I hate and his elder daughter gave me a cake stand I dislike. I will secrete them at the bottom of the carrier bag I am taking to the charity shop. :laugh: Like Becca I also need to think about DVDs. And don't talk to me about books! :noway: Don't know if DH will get on board about the DVDs. He asks for them for presents and never watches them. :ohwell:

Call The Midwife and War and Peace tonight. :drinker:

Heather UK
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Karen ... I found multiple bags of healthy grains too!! :smiley:

So ladies, what great recipes do you have for farro and quinoa?? I haven't tried farro, but to date haven't liked any of my quinoa attempts.

KJ ... Very sorry to hear of your sister's diagnosis. We have had multiple family members with brain tumors .... So here's some good news ... All of the brain tumor members are still with us. Even my cousin who has inoperable brain cancer. He was given 6 months. After some experimental treatments (special radiation caps) he is now going on 23 years!! Still has the cancer ... It's just there not affecting him.

After beating myself up for stupid eating, I am back on track.

Have a good day ladies!

Beth near Buffalo

Oh... Who was looking up the life expectancy of our thread??? I googled my screen name ... There on google images is my profile pic ... As well as all of yours! I only looked up bwcetc ... Hmmm.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,798 Member
    Options
    back from grocery shopping, and spent way to much,but the first things I bought were for me, alot of fresh veggies and fruits...and right now I am not feeling to well, have the shakes a bit,so having a cup of matcha tea, and sitting , then will get up and do some cooking...I had 35.00 in gift cards for the grocery store in my purse and forgot to use them, I am feeling quite scatter brained today..
    well my DB got off without a hitch and should be landing in an hour or so, he goes through 48 hrs of detox and then.. onto the hard stuff... I give him a ton of credit for going through and trying to straighten his life out..
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    KJ - Sending positive thoughts for your sister.
    Heather wrote: Inspired by the decluttering bug I . . . have put in a charity bag my second wedding clothes! I ran the wedding stuff past DH , but he was not remotely bothered.
    Hmm... I may be wrong here, and this is only my interpretation, but I'm thinking maybe he married YOU, not your clothes. :flowerforyou:

When I went out this morning I could see the horizon! That's a big deal here, where for almost 6 weeks it's been so dark you couldn't tell the difference between the mountains and the sky unless there was a moon up there. Today I could see light on the horizon in the southeast. And it was only like 10 am!

My gym date with my husband went well and choir rehearsal was awesome. Now I'm going to go make that delicious chicken breast thing with lemon and garlic. That's the one I serve with quinoa... Now who was it who had quinoa she didn't know what to do with...?
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif

Added later: Beth, I guess it must have been you! We cross-posted. I really like quinoa with that chicken thing. All I do is boil the quinoa in vegetable boullion, but the juice from the chicken breasts (lemony and with garlic flavor) adds quite a nice touch. You DO know you should rinse the quinoa thoroughly before cooking it, don't you? The hull of quinoa seeds contains saponins, an extremely bitter natural chemical that also behaves a bit like soap.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I went to the fitness center here in the RV park. I used the recumbent bike and loved it. I was the only one there and for 40 minutes went as fast as I could, then cooled down. I am still eating too many carbs and not moving enough. With two football games again today, there will be a lot of sitting around involed.

Congratulations to all of you that are getting back on board and losing those pesky pounds. Gives me motivation.

Have a terrific day my friends.

Janetr okc
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies – I’ve had a busy weekend and no time to read posts, so I skipped ahead a couple of pages. Sorry to those whose posts I have missed. :'(

Allie – I had to go back and find your post. First of all… (((hugs))) I do agree with the others who have said that seeing a good therapist might be a good option for you. You can’t change other people and so you need to focus on you, what is right for you and what you can or cannot live with. You deserve to be happy whatever path you choose. <3

Pip – Thanks for sharing your story. You are an inspiration!

Becca – Congrats on the loss and on the new swimsuit!

Jane- Glad to hear that you were able to visit your MIL and that she is doing well.

Mindy – Sorry you are not feeling well. Hope you are able to get over this quickly.

Yesterday was a long day of show choir, but it was fun to see all the new performances. These kids put so much work into those performances and it is great to see their efforts pay off. My daughter Sophi sings and dances in the prep (junior varsity) group and plays in the band for the varsity group. The prep group finished 4th out of 10 and the varsity group finished 2nd out of 8. Both groups were happy with their placements.

Today, my family and I are meeting up with a couple of friends for lunch and then bowling. Should be fun. Have to run now to wake up youngest daughter who is still asleep after her long day yesterday. Have a great Sunday and hope you all make good choices today!

Linda/IA
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Happy Birthday, Cheri!!! birthday.gif

Liz, welcome. You did figure out how to post so now you can do it whenever you feel like it. This is a great place for support and information so come often.

Beth, we must have forgotten to give you the rules on blowing a day’s calorie count. It simply isn’t allowed to have pizza and cookies in the same day. Now don’t let it happen again. And why would you bake cookies? *I’m giggling here* because my poor DH doesn’t get any homemade cookies any longer. My health is worth more than his sweet tooth. (Just to me, of course). I hope you are back on the wagon, girl!!!

Penny. A big congrats on your loss. I’d be thrilled with that but I’m still hanging steady.

LKL, sending prayers for your sister and I hope that baby, I mean, er ah hubby gets well soon. I do know what you mean about men when they are sick.

Allison, I’m just glad that Tom hasn’t been yelling as much as before. Do I recall correctly that he gives you some tiny allowance for your spending money? With you working that hardly sounds fair. If you decide to stay together, I don’t know that I would go as far as someone suggested and stop cooking or doing his laundry, but I certainly wouldn’t go out of my way to do as much as you do. Somehow I think that is just in your nature. ((((Hugs))))

Heather, I do like some of the ideas you mentioned, like “if it only takes a minute, do it now”. Sometimes when I’m on my way to go upstairs, I’ll have something in my hands (usually a huge glass of water) and see something that I can do “now” and have to put things down to get it done. But it’s always nice that it is done. Good for you in getting rid of some things with fond memories. Glad you get to keep the memories even though getting rid of the clothes.

Mia, congrats on the loss!!! Great job and I know you will keep it up.

Cheri, great picture!!! You look like a happy Birthday Girl.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

It’s been raining here since the middle of the night so a rather gray day. DH and I watched a Hallmark movie this morning that he had taped. That was fun and something different. I will go through my wardrobe this afternoon for the cruise and try things on to make sure none are too big to wear. Then I’ll know if I need anything new before the cruise which is 3 weeks away. Woo Hoo I’m making a new chicken recipe for dinner that has broccoli in it. Some of the ingredients make it sound a bit like Chicken Divan which I love. It’s not exactly low calorie. Going now to have some lunch then get on with something productive. Oh yes, I did a little over 15 minutes of movement while watching the movie.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    After one whole week I am feeling this Biggest Loser Team Challenge is what I need right now. This was a get to know your tem week and there was no real challenge. Well, my team decided to add the questions "Why do you want to lose weight?" and "What is your greatest challenge to losing?" Taking the time to really consider my answer to both of those questions fanned the small spark of motivation in me. I spent this week making sure I log my food no matter what. I definitely went over my desired calories every day,but the logging made me more aware of my overall eating and I lost 1.5 lbs. this week.

Personal goal for next week is to have a minimum of 4 days where I am on track with my food. Also a minimum of 4 days where I get at least 15 min. of cardio exercise. I am baby stepping my way back into a fitness/healthy regime.

Mia in MI

YEAYYYYYYY! FOR THE LOSS!!!!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    MORNING PEEPPPPPPEEEEESSSSS -
    thanks for all the pats on the back about part of my story. i really wasn't telling it to get pats on the back. i was sharing with grandmallie that no matter how crappy things are, we all are able to overcome things we really are. i left him with nothing but my clothes, 2 forks, 2 spoons, 2 knives, 2 plates and my tupperware (don't ask me why i brought my tupperware, i dunno) and that was it. i could have taken him for all he had, left with no car, no plan, no going back to mom, nothing. Everything happens for a reason, i am a firm believer of that. You may not know at the time it is happening but if you pay attention, you will find your answer, you just have to listen.

grandmallie - we (or i) wish nothing but the best for you and wish you would leave him so you can live the remaining years of your life happy and with a big *kitten* smile. HOWEVER, if that is something you can't do, this is my hope for you. You live with someone like they are your room mate. they treat you with respect, just SHARE responsibilities, no fighting, no yelling, just like living with a friend. to me, a LEAST that would make living in a marriage more bearable.

• Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, still love reading your posts. Can't believe that there were soo many. So many of you are great motivators and are very supportive to others, thank you for being there.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for all of the kind words of encouragement in regards to my sister's illness. Hoping for the best!
    Beth (bwcetc): I am wondering if you are rinsing your quinoa before you are cooking it? Unless it is pre-rinsed, and it will say on the packaging, it has something called saposins that will make the quinoa taste bitter if it isn't rinsed a couple times. I rinse it in a cheese cloth inside a strainer/colander. Even better if you have a very fine strainer for rinsing. When you cook it, make sure you boil it until you see the curly-cues coming off the grains. If you like southwestern flavor:
    cook and cool quinoa. Add: 2 cups of black beans (rinsed), two bunches of chopped green onion, a cup of chopped tomato, 4 avocados (cubed). Mix in 1/2 cup of olive oil, 2 tsp salt, 2 parts lemon juice to 4 parts lime juice (to taste), 2 T cumin.
    You can add or omit ingredients. Corn is also good in this. I also like to top it with fresh cilantro. Good stuff!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    KJ sounds yummy
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi friends. We are staying in today! It's -8 and the wind chill was supposed to be -30, but I don't think the wind is blowing, so that's good. We went to the Jeep club after Christmas party last night which was fun; it was a chili and soup cook off. The bad part was there were 27 entries, so even eating a spoonful, there was no way to taste all of them. Today is recovery day after my crazy week last week. Now everything is back to normal. Hooray!!!
    Take care, sorry I didn't respond to all but there were over 500 posts since my last visit, which tells me I need to get here WAY more often.

Take care, Meg from frigid Omaha. At least the sun is shining and it's beautiful looking out there!