Over 40 and ready to change? Let's do this together!

Options

Replies

• TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    43 yrs old, and in the past six months, I have gotten in the best shape of my life by losing 43 lbs. You all can do this also!!!
  • JPearl44
    JPearl44 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ok. Pity party is over I'm setting up my bike inside tomorrow so I can ride while I read my homework assignments. Thanks to all for the encouragement!
  • daveharris54
    daveharris54 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I'm just a little over 40, about 21 years. You would think that at this age I would be wise enough to know how to take off the weight. Maybe I do, time will tell. So far, so good.
  • Matthew112830
    Matthew112830 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm 45 and ready to get off this ride. I started tracking my food again on December 28th and am down about 7 pounds so far (only 39 more to go!
  • rfechter
    rfechter Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    JPearl44 wrote: »
    Having a pity party here on the bathroom scale this morning. 3 pounds down yesterday and 4 pounds up today. Totally back where I started. 20 pounds over what I was just 3 years ago and 60 more than I should be. Ugh!!!!!!!!!

Ive done that plenty of times, and Im still trying to "perfect" having setbacks, when the truth is.. they will ALWAYS pop up! My problem is I get angry with myself, and figure why bother.. when we know the right thing to do is move on. I know its hard, and its a complete piss off. I would guess just about everyone here has done the same thing. We need to keep chipping away at our progress, and (try very hard) to remember it all adds up. Hang tight!

It is tough but don't let it get you down. I really try to use the scale only as a minor reference. I am more concerned about my measurements and how my close fit. Hang in there.
  • brendacolemanmarbury600
    Options
    I'm in.
  • pamr7777
    pamr7777 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Me too! I'm in...
  • cabosanlucas71
    cabosanlucas71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Turning 45 in May. I want to drop 25 lbs by my birthday. Count me in!
  • JPearl44
    JPearl44 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So here's a question... What do you say in your head to keep you from grabbing that donut someone brought to work to share?
  • Kitzey
    Kitzey Posts: 214 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So here's a question... What do you say in your head to keep you from grabbing that donut someone brought to work to share?

Everyday we have choices to make: you choose your attitude when you wake up, you choose to add physical activities and you make choices about the food you want to eat.

I would be asking myself will this choice fit in my daily calorie goal? With my food allergies I often want foods I cannot have and have to also ask myself "how will this choice make me physically feel after I eat it", to stop myself from trying teeny bites of foods I shouldn't have due to allergies.

I don't believe in cutting out any foods, unless you are allergic or sensitive to them. This is a lifestyle change, moderation is key.
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

It's not worth the calories or how i feel if I do eat it.
  • miacaz02
    miacaz02 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I ask myself how many doughnuts am I already lugging around, and if I'm truly making a life change then I can wait until later. I understand your struggle of coworkers bringing in goodies and how hard it can be to turn away, but I've certainly enjoyed enough in my life.
  • lgshelton
    lgshelton Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I passed a donut shop this morning. I said out loud "I want some (not just one, some) donuts." Thought about it for a second. First, I am diabetic and that would send my sugars up. Then, I would have to do a lot of walking to burn it off. Less crappy food, less walking.
  • Kitzey
    Kitzey Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    How did everyone do this month??

I lost a total of 5.4lbs since I started back on MFP Jan 6; plus, I have been exercising 5 days a week :-) Am super proud of myself for sticking with it!

Here's to a fabulous February! I'm shooting for 8lbs this month. I will definitely be facing some challenges the next few months as I start a full time job for tax season. I've built new habits with exercise and eating this month and will need to re-adjust a bit and I hope I can adapt easily. Here's to a new chapter, bring on February!
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options

I agree with @Kitzey , I don't have any foods that are off limits. As soon as I impose that on myself it's the one thing I can't live without. If I want a donut I'll have one and either fit it into my day by exercising, eat less of something else, or go over. Either way I choose it's still a decision and now it's made with full awareness. I'm on a 1200 cal plan so I try to exercise every day so that I can have chocolate or wine.
  • zenjen13
    Options
    Kitzey wrote: »
    How did everyone do this month??

I lost a total of 5.4lbs since I started back on MFP Jan 6; plus, I have been exercising 5 days a week :-) Am super proud of myself for sticking with it!

Here's to a fabulous February! I'm shooting for 8lbs this month. I will definitely be facing some challenges the next few months as I start a full time job for tax season. I've built new habits with exercise and eating this month and will need to re-adjust a bit and I hope I can adapt easily. Here's to a new chapter, bring on February!

Way to go! You've been working so hard! I lost 3.2lbs this month and hit my 10lb milestone - happy dance! My vacation is in February so I'm in the final push to bikini time.
  • zenjen13
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Have a great February everyone!
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    WTG! Both @Kitzey and @zenjen13 !

I lost 3.5, A half pound under what I wanted, but I'm happy about what I have done, and to hold on to that loss as the month went on. I've consistently been active again, focusing on my fitbit goals set me back with my running, but I ended up being able to run my fastest pace! So no complaints there. I'm also back to being focused on my calorie goals daily and logging every meal again. So a lot of goals have been met, and I just can't be hard on myself at all about that half a pound.

• Midge614
    Midge614 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Lisa, 45, and I need to get it together.
  • HlthDtour
    HlthDtour Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just found this group and although it pains me to think that I am in between 40 and 50, I know that what I have been doing so far has not been working so some accountability is obviously in order. Add me and keep me accountable. I love celebrating victories with people!