T-Rex Burger/IIFYM Success Story

Replies

• mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Ugh I have been craving a burger....
  • Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    It just seems like running in place. too much protein in one day, excess is wasted. to much fat on one day excess may be stored. too little protein on other days, muscle gains suffer. fasting a day, if you're lifting on a "Fast" you're literally breaking down muscle mass. I just don't see the benefit of weekly goals. I read two other people say "Carbs aren't a part of IIFYM" in this thread. Didn't mean to say that to you.

Excess protein? LOL

Fasted training can be very beneficial too, please see Intermittent Fasting.

You have no idea what you're talking about, fasted strength training for a MALE conditioned athlete would be a complete waste of time. The only time "Fasted" training is ever done for a MALE trying to gain/preserve muscle (during a cut) is after consuming 10+grams of "BCAA'S" Branched chain amino acids to help spare muscles from catabolism.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    [/quote]

It just seems like running in place. too much protein in one day, excess is wasted. to much fat on one day excess may be stored. too little protein on other days, muscle gains suffer. fasting a day, if you're lifting on a "Fast" you're literally breaking down muscle mass. I just don't see the benefit of weekly goals. I read two other people say "Carbs aren't a part of IIFYM" in this thread. Didn't mean to say that to you.
    [/quote]

This is another topic outside of the original intent of this thread.

That being said, I have thought about this and do use BCAA supplements while lifting in a fasted state.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/05/early-morning-fasted-training.html
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    You have no idea what you're talking about, fasted strength training for a MALE conditioned athlete would be a complete waste of time. The only time "Fasted" training is ever done for a MALE trying to gain/preserve muscle (during a cut) is after consuming 10+grams of "BCAA'S" Branched chain amino acids to help spare muscles from catabolism.

That's the first thing you've said that I agree with. BCAA supps are very useful during a cut when training fasted, otherwise, they are unnecessary if you have a complete diet with complete protein sources.
  • Perplexities
    Read the entire thing before I posted. you're arguing If it fits your MACROS doesn't include the macro nutrient carbohydrates, why wouldn't it? Never heard of anyone ever doing IIFYM on a weekly goal with success.I can understand IIFYM working on a daily goal simply because your body is getting everything it needs every DAY. with a weekly goal, sometimes you're over consuming macro nutrients and sometimes you're under consuming both do little to help you.

Fats are essential to bodily function, they are important for nutrient absorption, brain function, and hormone production. Proteins are necessary for muscle protein synthesis and the amino acid availability in your body determines whether or not your body will build muscle as a response to weight training, or whether your body will break down muscle for energy if amino acids are not present. Carbohydrates are not essential because all that they do is supply the body with energy which can be taken from fat stores if need be. If you'll notice, I never mentioned that you shouldn't eat carbs, I think carbs are very important as they are your body's preferred energy source, but the most important thing for IIFYM is that you hit your protein and fat minimums first, then fill the rest of your remaining calories with whatever you want, I fill my entire Discretionary Calorie Allowance with carbs. Please do some research on nutrition...

Carbs are more "anabolic" than protein.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict

That's the first thing you've said that I agree with. BCAA supps are very useful during a cut when training fasted, otherwise, they are unnecessary if you have a complete diet with complete protein sources.

I agree with both of you on this. This is exactly why I only take BCAAs on days that I am fasted. Obviously I did not need any today because of all the meat I consumed. Tomorrow I will take BCAAs because I will either be fasting or eating relatively little.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member

Excess protein? LOL

Yes, I am completely ignorant. Thank you for defining words that are VERY COMMON IN ALL INTERMITTENT FASTING LITERATURE.

Now back to the OP, he's just trying to show that he can enjoy some "ridiculous" and "dirty" food (if you want to start labeling things) because he's looking at the bigger picture. Our bodies don't really operate on a 24 hour day, we don't all hit a reset button at midnight. So why look at calorie intake and macronutrients on a daily basis? He explained how he is eating a macronutrient balanced diet and overall caloric deficit for the WEEK. And he also shared that he's getting his fair share of nutrient dense foods as well. While I think some people can fall victim to the binge and compensate mentality sometimes with different IF schedules along with IIFYM, it has worked for so many people to be able to have an enjoyable and sustainable approach to dieting and that's really what it all boils down to.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member

313geb6.gif

Now you really have no idea what you're talking about. Carbohydrates ARE NOT ANABOLIC. You want proof, read this article by Layne Norton PhD in Muscle Protein Synthesis.

http://broscience.com/broscience-com-approved-articles/367-carbohydrates-anabolic.html
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    i came here for the burgers.

i stayed for the broscience.

:laugh:
  • Perplexities

Excess protein? LOL

Yes, I am completely ignorant. Thank you for defining words that are VERY COMMON IN ALL INTERMITTENT FASTING LITERATURE.

Now back to the OP, he's just trying to show that he can enjoy some "ridiculous" and "dirty" food (if you want to start labeling things) because he's looking at the bigger picture. Our bodies don't really operate on a 24 hour day, we don't all hit a reset button at midnight. So why look at calorie intake and macronutrients on a daily basis? He explained how he is eating a macronutrient balanced diet and overall caloric deficit for the WEEK. And he also shared that he's getting his fair share of nutrient dense foods as well. While I think some people can fall victim to the binge and compensate mentality sometimes with different IF schedules along with IIFYM, it has worked for so many people to be able to have an enjoyable and sustainable approach to dieting and that's really what it all boils down to.

Once again, strength training in a complete fast for a conditioned male athlete would be a complete waste of time as one would assume the "Strength training" is being done to promote anabolism or at least allow him to retain current LBM while losing fat. Complete Fasted strength training is detrimental in these circumstances.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member

Excess protein? LOL

Once again, strength training in a complete fast for a conditioned male athlete would be a complete waste of time as one would assume the "Strength training" is being done to promote anabolism or at least allow him to retain current LBM while losing fat. Complete Fasted strength training is detrimental in these circumstances.

Are you dense, illiterate, or both?

When did I EVER say that men should strength train in a completely fasted state? I know the purpose of BCAAs, thank you very much.

Stop hijacking this thread with your PhD in Broscience, no one's falling for it.
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    This thread should be changed to ” look at this ridiculously good fattening burger but let's talk about bro science instead”
  • Perplexities

313geb6.gif

Now you really have no idea what you're talking about. Carbohydrates ARE NOT ANABOLIC. You want proof, read this article by Layne Norton PhD in Muscle Protein Synthesis.

http://broscience.com/broscience-com-approved-articles/367-carbohydrates-anabolic.html

Notice the quotes around "anabolic". I think you misread that article written by Layne or simply misunderstood my post. If carbs don't cause an "Anabolic effect" more so than say protein or fats. explain to me why there's an epidemic of Insulin abuse in bodybuilding.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Who is this new guy? I can already tell he's going to be fun to have around the forums.

Welcome New Guy!!! Please keep spouting!
  • MiamiKid305
    Carbs aren't anabolic? Guess I'll go abuse insulin then since carbs aren't effective on that
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Below is a picture of my dinner from Wendy's this evening. I really recommend the T-Rex Burger!

11l35ev.jpg

fypgzp.jpg
    I'd hit that. And I'd ignore the broscience while I was destroying it, too.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    The thread is getting off topic at this point.

I had no idea the thread would turn into a discussion about BCAAs and Intermittent Fasting.

I just wanted to let people know that they could occasionally eat huge meals with foods they enjoy and still hit their weekly calorie/macro targets.

I just started running 8 months ago and started Stronglifts 5x5 in January. I may not be the fastest or strongest, but I will be running my first marathon in a few months, am lifting more than I could in January and am happy with my progress so far. Sharing that experience was my only intention.
  • MiamiKid305
    Below is a picture of my dinner from Wendy's this evening. I really recommend the T-Rex Burger!

11l35ev.jpg

fypgzp.jpg

I'm with you on that
  • BrainyBurro

11l35ev.jpg

fypgzp.jpg

there is however a legit complaint about truth in advertising here. the ad photo looks a lot better than the real thing. not that there's anything wrong with the real thing, just that ad photo is "10/10 would bang" and the real thing is "7/10 would bang with beer googles".
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    In...

...because this is why we can't have nice things.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    broscience_zpsb29f5a1b.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    there is however a legit complaint about truth in advertising here. the ad photo looks a lot better than the real thing. not that there's anything wrong with the real thing, just that ad photo is "10/10 would bang" and the real thing is "7/10 would bang with beer googles".
    Point taken; however, meat+cheese = would bang.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    I wanna hear about the GIANT DEUCE the OP took after a burger like that. YIKES.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict

Actually my stomach is doing just fine. This meal was not really much bigger than the large pepperoni pizzas I already eat with some regularity.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    omg its a doubledoubledoubledouble! ... wow :happy:
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Point taken; however, meat+cheese = would bang.

I have to agree about the picture. That being said, I give a lot of credit to the Wendy's employees. This was the first T-Rex combo they ever sold at their location. They had to use some creativity (adding the giant spoon) to even make the burger stable enough to avoid falling over.
  • BrainyBurro

can't help you with the AFTER pics, but i'd imagine the IN PROGRESS pic looked a bit like this.

VQurN.gif

ETA: ewwwwww! for making us all think about giant deuces.

ETA2: if we could have animated gif avatars, this would be mine for all eternity. seriously. i would never change it.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Seeing as you can't unhinge your jaw, OP, HOW did you eat that monster?
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Seeing as you can't unhinge your jaw, OP, HOW did you eat that monster?

I tried to use the technique I learned from the person who gave me the idea (Furious Pete). However I ate slower and made much less of a mess than he did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_9siiNyl9U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-exZcTqB01I#at=38

32zjchs.jpg

6iy7f6.jpg
    For the record, I stand by by calorie estimates. Note that unlike Furious Pete, I ordered mine without condiments. I think he just took the standard 1120 calorie estimate from the Dave's Hot 'N Juicy™ 3/4 lb.* Triple and multiplied it by three. Since the T-Rex only has one bun not three, 3360 would be an incorrect calorie calculation
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    I think I may be getting a hankering for one of those....one patty anyway. :)