Do you work out during your period?

Options

Replies

• chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    YES, having my period is not excuse for me not to work out. With that being said, after my surgery in July I have an 80% chance of never having a period again and if I do it will be so light it would not even be an issue
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Of course then again these days I have no choice... My cycle is so messed up I get it three times a month. Makes me feel better though. If I dont I feel like a sloth, and get depressed.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I've got a question for you... Do you exercise during your bad week of the month? I've got usually so much pain that I slow down in all the activities I do but I'm affraid that if I stop exercising four or five days, I won't be able to catch up... :angry:

Always... never occurred to me not to...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Pain is a deciding factor.

I read that during your period, your progesterone & estrogen levels are lowered which may make it easier to push through a workout. That was just in a magazine, so don't quote me as a research study. I like to think of that whenever I feel like a period allows me to skip workouts. I find some of my best workouts are when I'm on my period, I just feel tougher & able to lift more weight or run a bit longer.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/period-workout

It is true that your progesterone and estrogen levels are lower when you're menstruating. And it's possible that it could result in getting a better workout, but I'd imagine the effect would be small, as the amount of testosterone in your system will still be the same as always. I'm not aware of any scientific studies in this, but given the known effects of the hormones in question it's a reasonable suggestion.

Personally I always carry on exercising regardless of the time of the month, and i do like to think that I really would gain just that tiny bit extra muscle during that time lol (I'm currently training and eating for strength/muscle gains) but I don't really know how much difference it makes in terms of actual, real world results. But I do think that women should exercise during their period unless you're in so much pain or otherwise so ill that you can't (and also I think severe period pains should be discussed with an ob/gyn, as many women are taught that it's just something that you have to put up with, but severe period pains can be a sign of a medical problem like endometriosis)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Have you not seen the adverts? Apparantly during our periods we can ski, handglide, moutain climb, wrestle with cougars, which is amazing because I cant do any of that s**t when Im not on my period. Power Periods!

Period. Because I dont think I said period enough above.

Serious note, I do yoga during that week for cramps, ease back on the cardio but up the lifting xx

OMG! I am laughing my *kitten* off!

It's not the period that gives you super powers.... you have to use the advertised brand of sanitary protection to get the desired effects. Other forms of sanitary protection sit in your knickers like bricks and stop you from doing anything because of chafed legs or fear that they'll leak and destroy your favourite underwear and trousers. But their brand of sanitary protection not only plugs everything up effectively, it also gives you super powers so you can run through fire hydrants and do other feats of extreme athleticism.
  • JellyButter
    JellyButter Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Feels better when you do. But sometimes I'm just extremely lazy. I just take some pills and I'm on my way.
    Tampons become your best friend.
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Exercising usually relieves the majority of the bad side effects TOM tends to bring around for me! I always feel better afterward!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Yes, I always work out during the bad week - it actually HELPS with the pain. It takes a little more motivation and discipline to "force" yourself to do it, but once you've done it, you feel much better after the workout and a lovely shower (:

This...although I'm not sure if it actually *helps* with the pain, as much as it distracts me from the pain, lol.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I usually just try to go for walks. Cycling is pretty much a no no and those are the only 2 forms of exercise I do really. Just depends how I'm feeling. If you don't feel up to it then don't.
  • tolae2006
    tolae2006 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    No excuse for me all I do is listen to my body
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Uhh, okey...-->quietly backpeddles out of this thread<--
  • bayoucitygirl
    bayoucitygirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes! I try to stick to at least every other day when on it, and I also make sure that I'm wearing DARK pants/shorts ;)
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Life does not get put on hold because there is a civil war going on in my lower abdomen! Though, my emotions reflect those of the families of the dying soldiers so stay clear! :laugh:
  • DreaMuffin
    DreaMuffin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yup, I definitely work out during my TOM. It helps with my cramps and bloating. However, I do notice I am much more uncoordinated during this time, which is so weird.

same!! i've given myself the worst bruises at the gym during my TOM. when my uterus declares war i turn into a clumsy fool.
  • DreaMuffin
    DreaMuffin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Uhh, okey...-->quietly backpeddles out of this thread<--

hahaha smart man
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! Wouldnt have it any other way!
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    Ummm...definitely! I refuse to be shut down 25% of the time!
  • djman1967
    djman1967 Posts: 14
    Options
    To try to gain a better understanding of the superior sex. . .=)
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Yes. In fact, I finished C25K on day 1.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. Not gonna sit around and feel like a bloated lazyass