There are 'BAD' foods

Options

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If someone wants to persist in labeling food good or bad, it's their choice. I don't ascribe value judgments to inanimate objects. And my choices of what to eat are made from a decision about what works or doesn't work for me right now, based on my needs. Sometimes I need nutrition, sometimes I meet comfort or an enjoyable experience with a food choice being my choice of filling that need (that's why we have a sense of taste, after all).
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Well this died down quick. I'm sure since it's near 1000 replies that everyone is in agreement on everything correct? :*

I decided long ago that I can label my foods any way I like. As long as I know the context it doesn't matter if I call them good, bad, ugly, stupid, or delicious. It's simply a label beyond just calling it food. And I really don't care what the majority of the internet or anyone else thinks of it.

As for assuming everything science currently accepts is safe really is.... I'm old enough to know better. For all we know, the things being promoted as the most healthy right now will end up killing us all early. On the bright side, since I think to some extent it's just the luck that will determine what ended up being not so healthy, we can eat crazy things and know we were going to die regardless.

On internet as in real life, a group of vocal people does not necessarily represent what the majority thinks.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    On the whole BBC said this about food thing - they only report the headline grabbing stories.

Now I'm a vegetarian so its no odds to me about bacon, but I'm highly sceptical of health reporting in this country in general. If you want the facts its always best to go to a peer reviewed study. There's a book by a doctor Ben Ben Goldacre called "Bad Science" and it goes into a lot of the bad reporting on science that ends up confusing people. As a matter of fact he has a site: http://www.badscience.net/

Oh aye and I agree there are no "bad" foods just "bad" diets.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Well this died down quick. I'm sure since it's near 1000 replies that everyone is in agreement on everything correct? :*

I decided long ago that I can label my foods any way I like. As long as I know the context it doesn't matter if I call them good, bad, ugly, stupid, or delicious. It's simply a label beyond just calling it food. And I really don't care what the majority of the internet or anyone else thinks of it.

As for assuming everything science currently accepts is safe really is.... I'm old enough to know better. For all we know, the things being promoted as the most healthy right now will end up killing us all early. On the bright side, since I think to some extent it's just the luck that will determine what ended up being not so healthy, we can eat crazy things and know we were going to die regardless.

Totally agree. I already threw away all fruits and vegetables I had.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Then why are you posting on the internet

Because he doesn't care what you think...he shouldn't post on the internet???

I don't care either...guess that means I should post on the internet...oh well...I have been known to do as I choose.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

I don't care either...guess that means I should post on the internet...oh well...I have been known to do as I choose.

I just find the hypocrisy in that statement amusing. "I don't care what people think on the internet, but I will keep debating them on the internet." It profess an a "holier than thou" attitude that again, is amusing and hypocritical at the same time.

So you came in here to tell me that you don't care about what I say on the internet, because you don't like posting on internet forums ,but you you just posted on an internet forum …..if you don't care what I said then why did you bother to quote me on the internet? I guess deep down my posting affected you on some level, because you would not have taken the time to respond, unless you really did care….

• Annie_01
    Options

I just find the hypocrisy in that statement amusing. "I don't care what people think on the internet, but I will keep debating them on the internet." It profess an a "holier than thou" attitude that again, is amusing and hypocritical at the same time.

So you came in here to tell me that you don't care about what I say on the internet, because you don't like posting on internet forums ,but you you just posted on an internet forum …..if you don't care what I said then why did you bother to quote me on the internet? I guess deep down my posting affected you on some level, because you would not have taken the time to respond, unless you really did care….

No...I didn't come in here just to respond to you...I have been reading this thread the entire time.

What I don't care about is...

That other people feel differently than I do...I applaud diversity...different opinions...different ways of doing things.

It also makes no difference to me if you don't agree with me...if you don't approve of the way that I eat...choices that I make.

Does any of that mean that either of us should quit posting...no...or that one of us shouldn't respond to the other...no again. It just means that neither of us should care about what the other thinks...we are after all...just strangers on the internet whose interaction probably doesn't affect each others personal lives.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

No...I didn't come in here just to respond to you...I have been reading this thread the entire time.

That other people feel differently than I do...I applaud diversity...different opinions...different ways of doing things.

It also makes no difference to me if you don't agree with me...if you don't approve of the way that I eat...choices that I make.

Does any of that mean that either of us should quit posting...no...or that one of us shouldn't respond to the other...no again. It just means that neither of us should care about what the other thinks...we are after all...just strangers on the internet whose interaction probably doesn't affect each others personal lives.

I think that for some people, it is the opposite: it is their personal life (empty/sad/frustrating/unsatisfying) that affects how they interact with other people on the internet...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

If it makes no difference why do you keep engaging me?
  • Annie_01
    Options

If it makes no difference why do you keep engaging me?

Oh...I don't know...maybe I am bored this morning.

Back to the subject...

I don't agree with the OP...I don't label foods. Are there some foods that don't fit my goals...sure...but I don't assign them a value for anyone else but myself. How the OP labels foods makes no difference in how I label the foods that I choose eat. Does that mean that I can't communicate with the OP...no...it just means that I think differently than she does.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Actually, in another thread, someone wanting to eat their face made me realize there is exactly one bad food.

Human is a bad food. Don't eat human, no matter how succulent and porcine the flavor.
    One should not eat grilled human. Nor suckling braised human.

Well, unless its consensual, but then you need to take it to the Chit-Chat forum.

If my plane were to crash into the high Andes, in the snow, I would absolutely eat human to survive for some 72-odd days.

YMMV, of course. That's the beauty of free will and autonomy.

:)

I understand the inherent joke, but I'd actually still call that bad. I'd call it a necessary bad, but still bad.

Particularly, how much freezer burn is going to be on those people when you go to cook them? Plus before you know it the brains get cold and then you get kuru from eating it. Just horrible.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How the OP labels foods makes no difference in how I label the foods that I choose eat. Does that mean that I can't communicate with the OP...no...it just means that I think differently than she does.

I agree with this, and wouldn't try to convince OP that she should not label foods as she wishes, as she said it was helpful to her.

What I found odd was that it seemed important to her to try and make the rest of us admit that we really do secretly label foods or, if we don't, we are being dishonest with ourselves.

I also think this comes down to a difference of opinion as to what "bad" means, as to me it means "shouldn't ever be eaten" (so I find the notion that one happily includes "bad" foods in one's diet inconsistent with my own usage of the term). To others it seems to simply mean "high cal and low nutrient" or "fewer nutrients than other foods" so they seemed to think that in saying "no bad foods" we were denying that some foods provide more nutrients than others (which is of course not the case).

I like these discussions when people are able to better understand where others are coming from. I'm not sure that happened here (I'd be curious if OP accepts that using "bad" as a label isn't helpful for all of us, but that we aren't pretending cookies have the same micros as spinach or eating poor diets as a result), but maybe in part?
  • phyllis731
    phyllis731 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I make it a point to stay away from processed and fast food. If I can't say the ingredients, I assume it's not in my best interest to put it into my body.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    the wheels on the bus go round and round...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How do you define processed? Most things are processed in some way. I personally consider smoked salmon to be reasonably healthy. (I also don't mind if my greens come in a package for my convenience, but I get some are more picky about that. One of the farms at our green market does that for you, which I love.)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    the wheels on the bus go round and round...

and-now-for-something-completely-different-1.jpg
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    How do you pronounce quinoa? Sounds like one of those disgusting fake chemical ingredients.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    phyllis731 wrote: »
    I make it a point to stay away from processed and fast food. If I can't say the ingredients, I assume it's not in my best interest to put it into my body.

It's so true. This is why most young children should never eat spaghetti and many of us should be cautious about eating French food. One question: If I struggle with the proper pronunciation of "croissant," but am okay with "crossan'wich," I'm good to order the latter and just have to avoid the former, right?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    How do you pronounce quinoa? Sounds like one of those disgusting fake chemical ingredients.

Quinoa
    Pronunciation: "kan-ser-in-duse-ing-kem-i-killz"
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    No such thing as bad food. My biggest lifts have come from eating fast food a few hours before my workouts. Matter fact, when I know I'm lifting heavy, I have McDonald's for lunch, as I usually workout after the work day.