no diet soda

Options

Replies

• Biggestloserlisa
    Biggestloserlisa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I am always intrigued in these diet soda threads by people who state things like, "I have read that diet soda may make you crave sweet foods or inhibit your satiety triggers causing you to overeat"

Why do you make a decision like this based on something you read? Does it make you crave sweet foods? Do you believe that by not drinking diet soda, suddenly cookies and brownies and ice cream won't still sound delicious? Because the aspartame is not what makes those foods sound delicious. They are delicious...

Been drinking Diet Coke for 25 years. Drank it when I was a scrawny 95 lb high school girl. Drank it in college and after when I was gaining weight. Drank it the last three years while I was losing weight and now maintaining. It doesn't make me crave food, I don't eat two Big Macs because my body doesn't understand that it's full since I drank a Diet Coke with the Big Mac.

Anyway OP, I do commend you for setting a goal and sticking with it. If you continue to keep it up because it's important to you, that's great.

• Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I am always intrigued in these diet soda threads by people who state things like, "I have read that diet soda may make you crave sweet foods or inhibit your satiety triggers causing you to overeat"

Why do you make a decision like this based on something you read? Does it make you crave sweet foods? Do you believe that by not drinking diet soda, suddenly cookies and brownies and ice cream won't still sound delicious? Because the aspartame is not what makes those foods sound delicious. They are delicious...

Been drinking Diet Coke for 25 years. Drank it when I was a scrawny 95 lb high school girl. Drank it in college and after when I was gaining weight. Drank it the last three years while I was losing weight and now maintaining. It doesn't make me crave food, I don't eat two Big Macs because my body doesn't understand that it's full since I drank a Diet Coke with the Big Mac.

Anyway OP, I do commend you for setting a goal and sticking with it. If you continue to keep it up because it's important to you, that's great.

Thank you for your thoughts
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    kimvmajor wrote: »
    I am going to avoid the eternal argument about diet soda being good vs. bad and just say congratulations to the OP on doing well in your goal. You've made it past the first few days, which are always the hardest when you are trying to cut things out/reduce them. Way to go!

This! Hallelujah, not everything has to be a debate! Good job OP!
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Get it, girl!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, it's hard to give up something you like, it does get easier with time.

I haven't had a diet drink in years, they all taste like bug spray to me. Quit regular Coke eight months ago, tried one recently and almost lost my stomach. Can't believe I used to enjoy it.
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    Thank you and congrats to you as well...
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    MlleKelly wrote: »
    Get it, girl!

• Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    Hehe. Thank you
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    cmarangi wrote: »
    kimvmajor wrote: »
    I am going to avoid the eternal argument about diet soda being good vs. bad and just say congratulations to the OP on doing well in your goal. You've made it past the first few days, which are always the hardest when you are trying to cut things out/reduce them. Way to go!

This! Hallelujah, not everything has to be a debate! Good job OP!

• Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    Thank you very much.
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Job well done. :)

Thank. .
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options

Thank. .you...

• Biggestloserlisa
    Options

Thank. .you...

• Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    I have not had any diet soda for 5days. Yay. So proud of myself...

Way to go! I believe diet sodas signal the body to replace the calories that are missing in the drink - has the opposite effect than marketing tells us it should have. Many studies show diet soda drinkers are more likely to gain weight.

This is a very good thing to do. Congrats, and keep it up!!!!

Thank you very much. ....
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    Thank you very much. .
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    sheclimber wrote: »
    Sheez people. Someone says they've accomplished something and that they are proud of themselves and it turns into a debate. Nothing in the OP, her very first post, was debatable and nowhere was she asking anyone's opinion of if this was a good thing to do or not. Whatever happened to saying... Congratulations. Nice Job. Way to go! and in general being supportive??? Inherent in her post is she thinks its a good thing and is simply looking for some recognition for a job well done. Instead she gets people with thousands of previous posts judging her. I'd love to see the people posting here try to go 5 days with adhering to the philosophy that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

Nice job Lisa! Keep up the good work.

I'll go back to avoiding the forums again. Thanks for reminding me why I did in the first place.

That was my initial reaction as well. As soon as I saw what OP was excited about, I thought, "uh oh, here it comes..."

OP that's awesome about the soda. Congrats on your step-by-step changes. You got this! :)

Thank you very much. ..
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    Thank you very much
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    jlisah wrote: »
    @ rabbitjb - You may be right. I worked with WebMD/CafeWell last year for my "get healthy" insurance incentive ($200) and the health coaches there said that seltzer was no better than soda as far as the calcium. I did not do my own research. Either way, it doesn't do anything for you nutritionally.

In that case, neither does water, really. If I'm getting a diet pop, I either want the caffeine, or a tasty cold drink to enjoy when I'm hungry or thirsty, and without the calories.

Water may not have nutrients, but your body needs it to survive. Caffeine and "tastes good" are about the only things diet soda has going for it, and unlike water, the phosphoric acid in soda wrecks tooth enamel. Doesn't mean people shouldn't drink it if they want to, but it's not like there are negative consequences to giving it up.

It's called effort churn.

By focusing effort on things that do not impact a goal one churns emotional energy and time away that could be better spent. It is a huge loss of opportunity.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Way to go. I gave up soda's\fizzy drinks period. The first week was the hardest. After that I was fine and still going strong.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Diet soda for sure triggers me to want more sugary items and kind of leaves me with an unfilled hungry pit in my stomach unfortunately. It makes me feel dehydrated too and sometimes headaches are for sure a thing. Unfortunately; -( love diet coke..