Barbie Moms

(Just a rant).....
So, today I took my 3 year old to her first day at a local summer school preschool. This is the first time taking my child to school and I was more excited than her. So I walked in and I have never felt so out of place in my life! All the mothers were wearing dresses, high heels, tons of make-up, big hair, Tanned and pin thin like they were competing for Miss USA!!!! All they were doing was dropping there children off and dressed up like barbies. I am overweight, wearing jeans a t-shirt and flip flops! I was doing good on my staying under my calorie goals until today. You would think seeing all these fit and skinny women would make me motivated to become one, yet all there judgmental stares at me made me go home and eat.

Replies

• beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    How did they make you go home and eat?
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Some of them could have been going to work afterwards as well. You don't know what their plans were for the rest of the morning.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    (Just a rant).....
    So, today I took my 3 year old to her first day at a local summer school preschool. This is the first time taking my child to school and I was more excited than her. So I walked in and I have never felt so out of place in my life! All the mothers were wearing dresses, high heels, tons of make-up, big hair, Tanned and pin thin like they were competing for Miss USA!!!! All they were doing was dropping there children off and dressed up like barbies. I am overweight, wearing jeans a t-shirt and flip flops! I was doing good on my staying under my calorie goals until today. You would think seeing all these fit and skinny women would make me motivated to become one, yet all there judgmental stares at me made me go home and eat.

You're....upset that other people care about their appearance and are better dressed and in better shape than you...?

Good god.

tumblr_ltyr28bhxH1qgabr4o1_500.gif
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Jealous much? This is a poor post. Try rephrasing and put into correct context. Don't shame others for being fit and dressing well. Sheesh.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Were they really ALL like that? Even if they were, so what? Your perception may have been, "They're all judging me!" but who knows, maybe they were dressed up for work and were thinking, "OMG I wish I could just wear jeans and flip flops today, too. My feet are already killing me."

I know this internal dialog goes something like, "Oh my god. I'll never be like them. I'll never fit in. So why even try? Pass the Oreos." But no one is saying you have to be friends with them or even fit in. You're dropping your kid off at pre-school and (assuming) picking her up. So just leave it at that.

No one is asking you to be like them. Just be the best you you can be for you and your daughter.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Judgey McJudgejudge.
  • msaprilm1
    msaprilm1 Posts: 47
    Ok - Trying to read between the lines here, I have a child that I take to school, I am tall, slender, wear business casual for work and have the blonde Barbie hair BUT I think you are being unfair. Those people did not get all fancied up just to make you feel bad. What is your best asset? Find it and flaunt it! Be a proud mommy, smile, talk to these people, you may make new friends. Unless you are on the set of New Adventures of Old Christine, I think you will be surprised that those "Barbies" have the same problems and doubts that you have.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    I doubt there were judgmental stares, and if there were, who cares? I used to think people were looking at me funny, but I have learned a few things while on my weight loss journey - first, if people are looking at me funny, it's because at my weight, it's hard to miss me. Second, if they are looking, who cares? Seriously, if I am their entertainment for the day, that's not a good day. I have also realized that people probably aren't looking at me at all. I used to think people at the gym were looking at me funny, but maybe they were actually thinking, good for her, she is doing something.

7396232.png
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I think you need to stop projecting your insecurities on other people :flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Oh and OP deactivated
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Many moms drop their kids off and then have a job to go to... where they are needed to dress nice.

Their judgmental stares are probably reflecting yours.

Don't b*tch about them judging you while you are busy judging them. How about you could have said "Hi! I'm so and so's mom. I can't believe she's starting preschool! How's your child doing?" and I bet most would have replied just as friendly. As mothers, we have all been there. We should respect each other and teach our kids what it is to be a real woman, not how to tear others down.

Put down the fork and resolve to do better. I had a crap day yesterday. I felt like going to the store, buying a 40 and wolfing down a whole pizza... but I said screw that! I'd only be hurting myself. And for what?? Because of someone/ something else? Hell no, I got off my *kitten* and went for a run. By the time I got back, I felt better about myself and figured out what would fit my macros and stuck with it. No guilt, no excuses.

When you're ready to stop blaming others, you'll figure it out.
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Do you have any pics of them?
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    (Just a rant).....

Their stares did not make you go home and eat. You made you go home and eat. You can't let the fact that the other women at the school are already fit and they dress well serve as some sort of justification for over eating.
  • tabfjo
    tabfjo Posts: 78 Member
    When you lose the 80 lbs you have to lose, don't you think you will dress better and flaunt your loss?

This is a quote that I love for every aspect of life....
    "If you continuously compete with others, you become bitter.
    But if you continuously compete with yourself you become better."

Don't worry about what others are wearing or what others may think of you and especially don't use those situations to fall into bad habits... worry about what you're doing- what you're eating, what part of your body you're going to exercise today.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    How do you know they weren't going to work afterwards?

Or, maybe they just enjoy getting dolled up every day for no reason at all?

Honestly, who cares.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    When you lose the 80 lbs you have to lose, don't you think you will dress better and flaunt your loss?

This is a quote that I love for every aspect of life....
    "If you continuously compete with others, you become bitter.
    But if you continuously compete with yourself you become better."

Don't worry about what others are wearing or what others may think of you and especially don't use those situations to fall into bad habits... worry about what you're doing- what you're eating, what part of your body you're going to exercise today.

I love that quote.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Just....no.
    It's all already been said.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Maybe they were on their way to work?
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Oh and OP deactivated

We made her do it.
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    I kind of get where you're coming from...but honestly most of the time the "judgy" staring you're getting is in our heads. I'm fat. I'm overweight, but no one can't say that I look like a slob enough for me to believe it. . you don't need to be a certain size to put some confidence on dear.

Let them do them, you do you.