• tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    "Haters gonna hate." - Proverbs 9:8
    :flowerforyou:
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Wow... a lot of hate going on here.... and I'm not talking about OP. Way to run a fellow struggling overweight person off guys.

When I became SERIOUS about weight loss and fitness and MOTIVATED enough to take on some hard effort to make the necessary changes, there AIN'T no one who can run me off. Not the "Barbie Moms" and MFPer's who suggest that I quit blaming others for the food I put in my mouth.

Amen to that and high five to you for being so strong willed, but not everyone is like that. It just sucks to see that a community that is so supportive when people post positive things is so willing to turn around and be vicious at the drop of a hat.

What was the proper response then?

Honestly, before I saw all the rude posts flying up my response to OP was going to be:

I doubt they were all trophy wives trying to make you look bad. Some people just like to look however makes them feel good when they leave the house. My own mother is not a "Barbie" stick-thin mom and is honestly the nicest person I know (read: doesn't care what other people look like), but she will not leave the house without makeup and you'll never catch her out in sweats or tennis shoes unless she's gettin her exercise on. If it makes you feel bad then either join in and get yourself dolled up for next time or figure out why it makes you feel bad and deal with that. And a binge today will only ruin your progress if you use it as an excuse to stop taking care of yourself tomorrow, so don't give up.

Same basic message as most of you but in nicer wrapping.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I wear dresses, make-up, do my hair, I'm thin for someone who had a baby 3 months ago and I'm fit.
    Cool, I'm a Barbie mom!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I wear dresses, make-up, do my hair, I'm thin for someone who had a baby 3 months ago and I'm fit.
    Cool, I'm a Barbie mom!
    I'm a Barbie mom in a Barbie ... pond? What else rhymes with "mom"?

And you're welcome for the earworm.
  • dooplegoon
    dooplegoon Posts: 66
    Options
    Wow... a lot of hate going on here.... and I'm not talking about OP. Way to run a fellow struggling overweight person off guys.

When I became SERIOUS about weight loss and fitness and MOTIVATED enough to take on some hard effort to make the necessary changes, there AIN'T no one who can run me off. Not the "Barbie Moms" and MFPer's who suggest that I quit blaming others for the food I put in my mouth.

I'm with you, I am motivated and there is nothing that's going to stop me from my goal.

BUT...THIS IS A PLACE FOR PEOPLE TO GET SUPPORT [re- the second 1/2 of the name of this sub forum] not people to tell them what they're doing wrong with a blunt group mentality. Especially people who were once in their shoes. Everyone hits low points where their body image messes with their sense of judgement. Come on.

I was so sad to see she deactivated. She was embarrassed. Everyone wants to fit in somewhere and this was one of those awkward "I didnt realize that I wasnt going to fit in here" moments. And I agree when I finally decided to really do this I started realizing that situations like that dont embarass me as much as they used to. I am getting bolder and more determined. She needed us to tell her this isn't about anyone else or how anyone else looks or looks at you. This is about you not caring what other people look like. Its about realizing that the way other people look isnt done to intimidate or demotivate you. They are just living their lives. Its so hard to get into this headspace. You think everyone is looking, judging. I have a ways to go myself. But I could have told her how it gets easier when you are determined.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I enjoy being a MILF.

:drinker:
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options

This is so beyond rude I don't even know where to begin. You have a problem paying tax dollars for her children to go to school because their mom is "fat and sloppy" for dropping her kid off in flip flops. Holy s***. I love how all the people saying "they werent judging you" to the OP had no comment on this....seriously?
    What's abhorrently rude is dragging in germs, snow, salt, mud into the infant area, or didn't you read that part? Nearly every single day I watched her do this, and finally I very politely asked "I'm sorry, didn't you see the sign?"

Every single time I saw her she walked right by pile of parents' shoes in her bare feet and flip flops and walked right into the gated area, dragging her filth in. And often bringing in her several other older children into the 0-6 month old baby section which is expressly forbidden as I witnessed her rug rat step on a baby before.

The employees didn't have the backbone to correct this vile woman, and I did so politely and with grace.

Go ahead, tell me what's so wrong about me expecting fellow daycare users to follow the rules and have the tiniest amount of ****ing consideration for the health of babies? Or do you not care about babies getting sick and hygiene in general?

What would you do if someone did this at your daycare?

Oh, my apologies. There is always people who think the rules dont apply to them, so I get that frustration, BUT judging by your original post and how you went on about what a fat slob she was, I doubt you asked her politely. Even now shes a "vile" woman....because she wore flip flops into a nursery. :noway:
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options

This is so beyond rude I don't even know where to begin. You have a problem paying tax dollars for her children to go to school because their mom is "fat and sloppy" for dropping her kid off in flip flops. Holy s***. I love how all the people saying "they werent judging you" to the OP had no comment on this....seriously?
    What's abhorrently rude is dragging in germs, snow, salt, mud into the infant area, or didn't you read that part? Nearly every single day I watched her do this, and finally I very politely asked "I'm sorry, didn't you see the sign?"

Go ahead, tell me what's so wrong about me expecting fellow daycare users to follow the rules and have the tiniest amount of ****ing consideration for the health of babies? Or do you not care about babies getting sick and hygiene in general?
    One thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other or with the OP of this thread.

exactly
  • CheekyBrahette
    CheekyBrahette Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    On one hand I can kind of understand where she was coming from, and maybe she could have approached it a little better than just slamming the ladies and categorizing them as she did. IMO, it sounds like she could have really used some help and support in more ways than one.

BUT on the other hand, I would hate to think someone was looking down on me or judging me because I resemble a "Barbie Mom".
  • Mamahana82
    Mamahana82 Posts: 64
    Options

I'm with you, I am motivated and there is nothing that's going to stop me from my goal.

BUT...THIS IS A PLACE FOR PEOPLE TO GET SUPPORT [re- the second 1/2 of the name of this sub forum] not people to tell them what they're doing wrong with a blunt group mentality. Especially people who were once in their shoes. Everyone hits low points where their body image messes with their sense of judgement. Come on.

I was so sad to see she deactivated. She was embarrassed. Everyone wants to fit in somewhere and this was one of those awkward "I didnt realize that I wasnt going to fit in here" moments. And I agree when I finally decided to really do this I started realizing that situations like that dont embarass me as much as they used to. I am getting bolder and more determined. She needed us to tell her this isn't about anyone else or how anyone else looks or looks at you. This is about you not caring what other people look like. Its about realizing that the way other people look isnt done to intimidate or demotivate you. They are just living their lives. Its so hard to get into this headspace. You think everyone is looking, judging. I have a ways to go myself. But I could have told her how it gets easier when you are determined.

You don't think you might be projecting a bit here? Because I didn't get nearly enough information from the OP to determine that was her mindset.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

Before everyone hops on to the bandwagon defending this women and lamenting the deactivation of her account lets not forget that she did entitle this thread Barbie Moms. The connotation of course being that these other moms are superficial, plastic and narcissistic.

Ironically being called a barbie is a lot like being called Einstein I have only ever heard it used as an insult. Then you read her original post and it seems to confirm that she felt out of place because these other women have already accomplished a look that she is going for. Then she tried to blame the fact that she over ate on them. I am sorry but her post was deserving of criticism and since she obviously felt at home judging all these other mothers I do not see why she should be treated with kid gloves.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Oh and OP deactivated

This tends to happen a lot if they are fairly new and don't get the response they are looking for. Kind of sad really. She was looking for us to back her up and be on her side. She really should have read some of the posts first and gotten a feel for the site before jumping in and start bashing Barbie, after all she can't help that she's all that!

Barbieback.png
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't blame other people for binge eating...that makes no sense. But I've seen the moms that dress to out do each other, and make dropping kids and picking them up into some kind of catty beauty contest. It definitely makes me roll my eyes and shake my head....but I guess some people have different priorities. Ignore it and on with your day!
  • dooplegoon
    Options
    You don't think you might be projecting a bit here? Because I didn't get nearly enough information from the OP to determine that was her mindset.

Projecting? I didn't think so. Trying to put myself in that situation and imagine how she might feel, yeah. Once you figure out how that person feels then you can help them figure out how another person might feel at being called a "barbie mom". Just because you try to be sympathetic doesn't mean you have to have had the same experience. I was just try to relate it to my own experience somehow. I can see how that might be perceived as projecting. I haven't been in her exact situation but similarish. And it took me a long time to figure out that my feelings had nothing to do with other people. I wished we had helped her with that.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Before everyone hops on to the bandwagon defending this women and lamenting the deactivation of her account lets not forget that she did entitle this thread Barbie Moms. The connotation of course being that these other moms are superficial, plastic and narcissistic.

Ironically being called a barbie is a lot like being called Einstein I have only ever heard it used as an insult. Then you read her original post and it seems to confirm that she felt out of place because these other women have already accomplished a look that she is going for. Then she tried to blame the fact that she over ate on them. I am sorry but her post was deserving of criticism and since she obviously felt at home judging all these other mothers I do not see why she should be treated with kid gloves.

Well said. Never heard of "Barbie Mom" before that post. wth.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Many moms drop their kids off and then have a job to go to... where they are needed to dress nice.

Their judgmental stares are probably reflecting yours.

Don't b*tch about them judging you while you are busy judging them. How about you could have said "Hi! I'm so and so's mom. I can't believe she's starting preschool! How's your child doing?" and I bet most would have replied just as friendly. As mothers, we have all been there. We should respect each other and teach our kids what it is to be a real woman, not how to tear others down.

Put down the fork and resolve to do better. I had a crap day yesterday. I felt like going to the store, buying a 40 and wolfing down a whole pizza... but I said screw that! I'd only be hurting myself. And for what?? Because of someone/ something else? Hell no, I got off my *kitten* and went for a run. By the time I got back, I felt better about myself and figured out what would fit my macros and stuck with it. No guilt, no excuses.

When you're ready to stop blaming others, you'll figure it out.

I agree. Well put. Being a Mom transcends all the rest of the junk.
  • dooplegoon
    Options

The Barbie Mom thing...agreed. I really try hard not to return judgement with more judgement. I am aware that people tell me I treat people with kid gloves. But she appeared to be in a vulnerable place and I would rather treat a person gently if that means that my support keeps them motivated to keep working at their goals. And by starting with a sympathetic approach it makes it easier to point out how those other moms might feel at being judged the way she may have been or just perceived to be judged.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Oh and OP deactivated
    We made her do it.
    She went home, is eating more, and is posting about you and your meanness on another website.

most likely, I hate people who expect rainbows and sunshine answers and get all pissy when they get the truth instead

1- Weight loss is hard work
    2- it takes time to see results, and I am not talking about 5 weeks, i'm saying years
    3- If you truly want to get better, you look for advice not justifications.
    4- You will not look to others to justify if you cheat/binge/gain...you will blame only yourself and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

It is unfortunate that she deactivated, but at the same time I have little sympathy for her....she should of known how these forums run. She wanted people to be on her side, but what she got a reality check and instead of arguing her point, or even taking it back and apologizing once she realized she hurt others, no, she decides to be a coward and deactivate.

my 2 cents
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Oh and OP deactivated

LOL
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Do you really think those moms were concerned in the least with what you looked like??

And now you are blaming them because you went over your calorie goal?? :noway:

You seem really insecure, unwilling to accept accountability, and perhaps not quite ready to make a major lifestyle change.