NO carbs and fat in a diet.

Options

Replies

• mparadise4098
    mparadise4098 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Shawnrivas wrote: »
    My problem is I'm a binge eater and nothing seems to work.

Try tracking what you eat for a few weeks. Once I did I noticed a pattern for myself. It seems like whenever I eat regular pasta(think Italian food pasta) I would get crazy cravings and end up binging. Now that I have pretty much cut just that carb out of my diet I get very few binge cravings and can stick to my food plan MUCH better. I don't restrict anything but I do actively avoid pasta as it seems to be a trigger food for me for some reason....I have no idea what/why but it has worked well for me. And know that I am aware this is a trigger on the rare occasion that I do have it I pat extra attention to what is going into my mouth for a couple of days after.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    You don't need carbs--you do need fat and protein.

However, good luck achieving 0 of anything, in reality. Even if one were to live on lean chicken breasts, there would be SOME fat.

Add non-starchy vegetables and you have SOME carbs, even if they are very minimal.

It's just idiotic.
  • clin71funyika
    clin71funyika Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low fat diet and do not even worry about the carbs that I eat. There's actually alot of things to eat that are low in fat. I wouldn't try a no fat diet though because our body does need it.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    You don't need carbs--you do need fat and protein.

However, good luck achieving 0 of anything, in reality. Even if one were to live on lean chicken breasts, there would be SOME fat.

Add non-starchy vegetables and you have SOME carbs, even if they are very minimal.

It's just idiotic.

Uhhh yes, you do need carbs. Carbs help metabolize protein, and you need carbs to keep your brain going as well as other organs.
  • missblueeyes_26
    missblueeyes_26 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    An opinion from someone who has done the 20g or less carbs and no fat...
    Did I lose weight and lose weight fast? Yes

Did I keep the weight off? No...as soon as I started eating normally again (adding back some complex carbs and all) I started gaining again. And such deprivation caused me to binge eat from time to time, and that wasn't forming a healthy relationship with food.

Did I feel energized and healthy? No...I had no energy, constant headaches, and even healthy foods like some fruits and veggies were off limits. When you put such a limit on carbs and fats its hard to get to a realistic calorie goal, so reaching 1000 calories during that time was difficult. Usually when someone is on a lower carb diet they compensate with a higher fat percentage to make up for the energy lost from lack of carbs.

Was it worth it? No...I lose weight about at the rate she mentioned...42 lbs in 2 months...but I honestly never felt worse...I was constantly worried about what I could eat next, going out to eat with friends was stressful, and I was constantly agitated.

Now I simply work with a 35-30-35 (carbs-fat-protein)...I still don't eat a lot of carbs (131 g), but it leaves a lot more options. You can do lower carbs without giving up all carbs.

Best of luck!
  • Colorscheme
    edited January 2016
    Options
    An opinion from someone who has done the 20g or less carbs and no fat...
    Did I lose weight and lose weight fast? Yes

Did I keep the weight off? No...as soon as I started eating normally again (adding back some complex carbs and all) I started gaining again. And such deprivation caused me to binge eat from time to time, and that wasn't forming a healthy relationship with food.

Did I feel energized and healthy? No...I had no energy, constant headaches, and even healthy foods like some fruits and veggies were off limits. When you put such a limit on carbs and fats its hard to get to a realistic calorie goal, so reaching 1000 calories during that time was difficult. Usually when someone is on a lower carb diet they compensate with a higher fat percentage to make up for the energy lost from lack of carbs.

Was it worth it? No...I lose weight about at the rate she mentioned...42 lbs in 2 months...but I honestly never felt worse...I was constantly worried about what I could eat next, going out to eat with friends was stressful, and I was constantly agitated.

Now I simply work with a 35-30-35 (carbs-fat-protein)...I still don't eat a lot of carbs (131 g), but it leaves a lot more options. You can do lower carbs without giving up all carbs.

Best of luck!

I've heard this story so many times from other people who have also done low carb. I was reading an article about carbohydrates and the effects of a low carb diet, it said that a lot of the weight lost is a combo of water and muscle. Carbs are certainly necessary, so is protein and fat. I don't know why there are so many people who believe otherwise.

Even with people who are type 2 diabetics, have PCOS etc, insulin resistant,etc have to eat carbs. But they need complex carbs and have to eat them in smaller quantities than people without metabolic conditions.

According to a dietician organization, the brain itself requires around 131 grams of carbs a day to function well.

Here's an interesting read: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22436/

It talks about the requirements of carbs, fats and proteins that we need in order for our organs to function properly.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    While carbs are not required for good health both fats and proteins are required to live.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    krithsai wrote: »
    Eating like that constipates me almost immediately. Besides, low carb makes me want to eat my face off - so no. Just no.

Well faces would be fairly low in carbs.

That depends on how recently BBQ has been consumed.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    While carbs are not required for good health both fats and proteins are required to live.

Why do you think that? the brain alone requires 120-1300 grams of carbs a day in order to remain healthy.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great way to start having your hair fall out. More than 20 grams of carbs won't cause you to gain weight. And fat is good for you. Your body needs it and it keeps you full.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Why do you think that? the brain alone requires 120-1300 grams of carbs a day in order to remain healthy.

True, unless keto adapted, at which point most of the brain can utilize ketones just like any other cell in the body, but it still requires glucose for certain area where the neurons are too small to accomodate mitocondria and thus can only receive ATP from glycolysis. The body will manufacture it from protein as required so the keto advocates, such as Gale, will claim that it's not essential since you can produce it from protein. Technically this is correct but there is also not real reason for almost anyone to eat very low carb either (my understanding is that Gale himself maybe one of those exception), but I'm all for personal choice and if that works for people then more power to them.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Your body can use your glycogen stores and make them out of other stuff you eat.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

True, unless keto adapted, at which point most of the brain can utilize ketones just like any other cell in the body, but it still requires glucose for certain area where the neurons are too small to accomodate mitocondria and thus can only receive ATP from glycolysis. The body will manufacture it from protein as required so the keto advocates, such as Gale, will claim that it's not essential since you can produce it from protein. Technically this is correct but there is also not real reason for almost anyone to eat very low carb either (my understanding is that Gale himself maybe one of those exception), but I'm all for personal choice and if that works for people then more power to them.

How many threads is this argument going on concurrently?! (And same user arguing the wrong point.)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

How many threads is this argument going on concurrently?! (And same user arguing the wrong point.)

Well that's pretty much par for the course lol.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I just want to see the original video, lol. I've been looking for two days and can't find it. I want to see this straight from the source.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I just want to see the original video, lol. I've been looking for two days and can't find it. I want to see this straight from the source.

Me too, I am disappointed that I couldn't find anything. :/
  • Colorscheme
    edited January 2016
    Options

Your body can use your glycogen stores and make them out of other stuff you eat.

Yes but you eventually run out of them if you restrict carbs long enough.

Also, that number should read 130, not 1300. I made a typo :/
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You run out of glycogen but not of food you eat to convert.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

No, you won't run out of glucose. I have been eating about 20g of carbs per day for a good seven months and I haven't felt this good in decades, my memory and cognitive function has even improved. Lack of glucose for the brain is not going to be an issue for people going low carb unless they ave a very unusual medical problem.

You've said in a few places that the brain needs carbs.... Technically the brain needs glucose which can be produced from carbohydrates that you eat OR protein from the diet or your bodily stores. One does not need to eat carbs to live well, although most people do choose to do so.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

No, you won't run out of glucose. I have been eating about 20g of carbs per day for a good seven months and I haven't felt this good in decades, my memory and cognitive function has even improved. Lack of glucose for the brain is not going to be an issue for people going low carb unless they ave a very unusual medical problem.

You've said in a few places that the brain needs carbs.... Technically the brain needs glucose which can be produced from carbohydrates that you eat OR protein from the diet or your bodily stores. One does not need to eat carbs to live well, although most people do choose to do so.

Exactly.

I've been eating under 100G carbs/day for about four years and am just fine, thanks.