Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Back on topic- I generally include OHP_ only because I suck at it- If I had my druthers- I would do a push press- I prefer it to OHP. For several reasons- it's easier on my effed up elbows/shoulders and I can control my lordosis a little better- rather than winding up pushing with more back then leg as it gets heavier.
    Push pressing is much easier on my shoulders too. My elbows are healthy again after almost ruining them performing upright rows. Terrible lift.

Until I messed up my bicep tendon, push pressing was my primary upper body lift (as in, the one I liked to do the most - and therefore cared about the most!)

I'm hoping that now I'm starting to heal up (testify!) I can rotate it back in again in a few months.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Back on topic- I generally include OHP_ only because I suck at it- If I had my druthers- I would do a push press- I prefer it to OHP. For several reasons- it's easier on my effed up elbows/shoulders and I can control my lordosis a little better- rather than winding up pushing with more back then leg as it gets heavier.
    Push pressing is much easier on my shoulders too. My elbows are healthy again after almost ruining them performing upright rows. Terrible lift.

Until I messed up my bicep tendon, push pressing was my primary upper body lift (as in, the one I liked to do the most - and therefore cared about the most!)

I'm hoping that now I'm starting to heal up (testify!) I can rotate it back in again in a few months.
    It's like a happy surprise gift being able to do a lift again that you hadn't been able to do for awhile because of injury or whatnot. That's how I feel about pressing again too.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

It's like a happy surprise gift being able to do a lift again that you hadn't been able to do for awhile because of injury or whatnot. That's how I feel about pressing again too.

Sure is!

I've basically started by adding in some dumbbell push press/jerks after my main bench work. If I can tolerate it for a month or two and am steadily making gains then I'll have a bash with the barbell again. I think that once I get to about half-bodyweight with the dumbbell, then I'm in a good spot...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I will 100% NOT do that lift. EVER.
    Upright rows are just torture for me- so for that stuff- I do lateral and front lifts- but not up right rows. getting bigger shoulders aren't worth it.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

Upright rows are just torture for me- so for that stuff- I do lateral and front lifts- but not up right rows. getting bigger shoulders aren't worth it.

The one I never do is lunges of any variety. They always seem to F up my quads and knees. That's one that's not worth it for me.
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Other than the some kind of overhead pushing lift, I don't directly train lateral or anterior delts any longer -- they get enough work acting in assistance. (I will do band pulls on them for warm-up and inter-set stretching.)

The only other direct work I do on my delts are rear delts flyes. Totally old video here...

https://youtu.be/uhzbTTlUgM4?t=2m36s

... and make funny faces.

(I was also nursing an elbow injury from upright rows, hence the elbow sleeve.)
  • JoRocka
    edited February 2016
    Options

Other than the some kind of overhead pushing lift, I don't directly train lateral or anterior delts any longer -- they get enough work acting in assistance. (I will do band pulls on them for warm-up and inter-set stretching.)

The only other direct work I do on my delts are rear delts flyes. Totally old video here...

https://youtu.be/uhzbTTlUgM4?t=2m55s

my goal is bigger shoulders- so I've been doing a super set twice a week. usually monday and friday. And it's two separate lifts (front plate raise w/ twist + straight lateral raise) and then the next one is on the bench incline front lat raise (that weird eat the bench one) with reverse fly's. and yeah- totally with funny faces- I make a lot of funny faces. whatever- shoulders shall grow. I COMMAND YOU TO GROW!!! its' one of my few "vain" lifts that I really am not happy with over all on my body- so I spend a little bit of time with them.
    The one I never do is lunges of any variety. They always seem to F up my quads and knees. That's one that's not worth it for me.
    I go back and forth on those- it just depends - sometimes my left patella feels tweaky- so I just drop them if I'm not feeling well.
    edited February 2016
    Options
    my goal is bigger shoulders- so I've been doing a super set twice a week. usually monday and friday. And it's two separate lifts (front plate raise w/ twist + straight lateral raise) and then the next one is on the bench incline front lat raise (that weird eat the bench one) with reverse fly's. and yeah- totally with funny faces- I make a lot of funny faces. whatever- shoulders shall grow. I COMMAND YOU TO GROW!!! its' one of my few "vain" lifts that I really am not happy with over all on my body- so I spend a little bit of time with them.
    I was fortunate in that regard. As a kid, my grandfather use to say I was a "little man" because my shoulders were pretty broad. But other than that, all I did for year after year after years was just a high rep giant set of dumbbell lateral and front raises and the rear delt flyes preceded by a press, usually behind the neck military press (and on the smith machine) which gave me all the growth I needed. But everybody's different.

Hitting them a couple times a week is a good idea. I want to develop my upper and middle back more, as well as my traps so I am hitting rack pulls with a shoulder shrug at the top twice a week. Figured pick an accessory that crossovers to my deadlift.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

first, this is hot even with the crazy faces. Just sayin.

second, how heavy are those dbs? I did these yesterday and I won't mention how light mine were, but yours don't look much bigger...so maybe I'm not as weak as I felt.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Amazing lifting face. You look a lot like LAbeast btw (check out his youtube channel if you've never seen it - skippy62able is the name). Like a less dumb/meathead version anyway.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Did push presses today for the first time. Damn... Those are hard.

Was only able to get 155. Shoulders were already a bit fatigued. Some of you SOBs are strong. Will try again on Monday.
    Options
    mrp56839 wrote: »

second, how heavy are those dbs? I did these yesterday and I won't mention how light mine were, but yours don't look much bigger...so maybe I'm not as weak as I felt.

You haven't seen my deadlift face then....

Probably around 15 or 20 lbs. but for high reps. Now I'll hit them with in the 50 to 70 pound range but when I made that video I was still getting back in shape. I just hit them Tuesday with 35 lbs, but will increase that when I finally get back on program next week.
    edited February 2016
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Amazing lifting face. You look a lot like LAbeast btw (check out his youtube channel if you've never seen it - skippy62able is the name). Like a less dumb/meathead version anyway.
    Checking...

Yeah I guess sorta look like him, probably because I am only just a less looking dumb/meathead version of him. :D:p

Hornsby wrote: »

Was only able to get 155. Shoulders were already a bit fatigued. Some of you SOBs are strong. Will try again on Monday.

Post some video!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Checking...

Yeah I guess sorta look like him, probably because I am only just a less looking dumb/meathead version of him. :D:p

Hornsby wrote: »

Post some video!

Absolutely. I will on Monday. Wanted to see where I needed to be at. Will try 160 fresh and video it. Will post, fail or not :)
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

Ke$ha working you through that grind it looks like! :tongue:

Those set my delts on FIRE!
    Options

Hahah!

Is that who that is? I have the ear-buds jammed so far in my head that I have no clue.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Hahah!

Is that who that is? I have the ear-buds jammed so far in my head that I have no clue.

She's a pop star- very like drugs and rock and roll and sex kind of hot mess singing- but I don't think she's actually jumped off the deep end- she sings like Brittany spears was living live. lol
    Options

Hahah!

She's a pop star- very like drugs and rock and roll and sex kind of hot mess singing- but I don't think she's actually jumped off the deep end- she sings like Brittany spears was living live. lol

Sex drugs rock n roll. My kinda gal.
  • matt3ash28
    matt3ash28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New to lifting need schooling on nutrition and work out routine
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    mrp56839 wrote: »

You haven't seen my deadlift face then....

Probably around 15 or 20 lbs. but for high reps. Now I'll hit them with in the 50 to 70 pound range but when I made that video I was still getting back in shape. I just hit them Tuesday with 35 lbs, but will increase that when I finally get back on program next week.

<--- weak. Confirmed. Mine were 10s for high reps. In my defense, my shoulders aren't as ginormously beautiful. Lol keep up the good work!