Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    @incogneato sweet!

@JoRocka @McCloud33 you go have fun with 20 rep squats. I'm grateful that I won't have them in my future, although I do know what squat program I've got waiting for me when we go full steam on my squat. And having run smolov, I think I might prefer smolov again. At least it would be easier.

What squat program are you running?

Currently tapering for bench only Nationals. What I do directly after depends on how I perform. If I earn my spot on the team for worlds, then staying on bench only programming until mid June. After that, once I have reloaded to the point that it actually makes sense, I know I'm getting handed Armenian squat. I ran the bench version as my last extensification block prior to commonwealth and it was intense.

Good luck making the team. Are you open still or masters?

I'm taking a bit of a break from nationals for a year or two. Maybe I'll think about it the year Worlds is in Calgary; 2018.

Still open. And thanks!

Competition to make that team is going to be insane! 2018 is my last year of open.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    So- given the conversations that were had here- and the fact the gym moved the lift they as a group were going to attend- I'm switching up programming and going to go for max size and I'm gonna do the 20 rep squat program.

You all made me do it. I swear. Excited but- FML. HE HE HE
    They call me Thighly Cirus.
    So you'll have to post some videos and your progress for inspiration for if/when I try it. I'm still struggling mentally on the 5/3/1 BBB when I do my 5x10 squats :-P body just says why don't you stop already!

@McCloud33 - I'm going to start I think next week- I totally lied- I remember setting up off my 1RPM- but rereading and writing programing- it's off your 5RPM- so I did 200- and started at 110.

I suspect around 145-150 I'm going to start hating my life LOL- I'll get video up though. I did 3 x 10 on my bench at 135- and that was a first in a long time doing such high reps on bench- not sure if this will work- been a while since I did an IG video to MFP.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    oh it worked LOL. This was my 3rd set. Not unhappy at all.
    I'll start taking squat video next week- it's harder b/c I usually video in the back- it's more quiet and less distractions- but I need a power cage or rack and those are easier to grab in the main room- so- we'll see how video set up goes.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    So- given the conversations that were had here- and the fact the gym moved the lift they as a group were going to attend- I'm switching up programming and going to go for max size and I'm gonna do the 20 rep squat program.

You all made me do it. I swear. Excited but- FML. HE HE HE
    They call me Thighly Cirus.
    So you'll have to post some videos and your progress for inspiration for if/when I try it. I'm still struggling mentally on the 5/3/1 BBB when I do my 5x10 squats :-P body just says why don't you stop already!

That's why I switched to the higher percentages. One cycle I do 80% training max 5x5, next cycle 90% TM 5x3 and keep alternating back and forth.
    Granted I've only run this for a few cycles now but I've seen better strength gains than I did on the 5x10.

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    @jorocka I thought it was off your 5RM. That's a nice bench too. I've been doing 5x10x135 for more big but boring assistance and I'm definitely starting to feel it after 3 sets. I only give myself a 60 sec break between though too.

@piperdown44 yeah, I've considered trying to up the %, but hey, it's programmed that way for a reason, and I'm still a noob so I'm not going to argue with it too much. And like I've already said, I'm thinking of doing the 20 rep squat in a couple months, so if I can't get myself mentally able to do 10+, there's no way that I'll be able to do 20.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    This morning's 5/3/1 top set 185 for 3+...got 9. Might have gone for 1-2 more with a spotter. @Iron_Miss_Canada I know you commented on my tightness for my bench the last time I posted it, any better here?
    https://youtu.be/wXIj6aE2a-8
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    @JoRocka and @McCloud33 : solid looking bench!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    @jorocka I thought it was off your 5RM. That's a nice bench too. I've been doing 5x10x135 for more big but boring assistance and I'm definitely starting to feel it after 3 sets. I only give myself a 60 sec break between though too.
    it is- which I'm grateful for- because that's a lot less weight to move around then my 245 1 RMP- derp derp. glad I double checked before I started again!!!

oiy 5 x 10- that's a lot of cardio!

I have to give myself more rest only because 135 is a larger percentage of my 100% effort- and really it's just "do 2/3 of 10" not any real point in terms of rushing it- depending on how I feel I may be able to bump it up which would be nice- try to get my bench a wee bit higher- I'd be REALLY thrilled if I could do 2/3 of 10 at 155- but we'll see ;) 135 felt super solid on Friday- yesterday it didn't feel so good LOL- food makes all the difference in the world.
    I'm gunning for a 200 pound press this year. god that would make me SO happy.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

@piperdown44 yeah, I've considered trying to up the %, but hey, it's programmed that way for a reason, and I'm still a noob so I'm not going to argue with it too much. And like I've already said, I'm thinking of doing the 20 rep squat in a couple months, so if I can't get myself mentally able to do 10+, there's no way that I'll be able to do 20.

Working toward a 20 rep squat I can understand the standard 5x10 BBB. But, I will point out, that 5x10 BBB is only 1 of a handful of BBB templates that Wendler put in. It just happens to be the most common but not the only one available.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    This morning's 5/3/1 top set 185 for 3+...got 9. Might have gone for 1-2 more with a spotter. @Iron_Miss_Canada I know you commented on my tightness for my bench the last time I posted it, any better here?

Are you doing close-grip bench?
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

Working toward a 20 rep squat I can understand the standard 5x10 BBB. But, I will point out, that 5x10 BBB is only 1 of a handful of BBB templates that Wendler put in. It just happens to be the most common but not the only one available.

The accessory portion of any 5/3/1 variation is just that....an "accessory" to help build on your main lifts. They should support your specific goal. 5x10 is for hypertrophy primarily, and volume accumulation secondary......the theory of a bigger muscle is a stronger muscles seems to ring true most often.
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My past week of training started out well but ended poorly (see bench below). I am peaking for a meet so I was hitting heavy doubles last week.

Squat 275x2 - a little slow on the last rep, but successful:

Deadlift 335x2 - success:
    (the two reps are pasted together because my phone fell over but some girl picked my phone up while I was resetting for the second rep)

Bench 130x2 - epic fail:

Pardon my language, but bench is such a *kitten* for me, and it is already so low in relation to my squat and deadlift numbers, and it is also way low compared to what other girls in my weight class are benching. I am working on putting more mass on my upper body, but I need to fix the mental part too. Is there anyone here that used to have mental issues with bench but then got over them? If so, how did you accomplish that?
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I did 3 x 10 on my bench at 135- and that was a first in a long time doing such high reps on bench- not sure if this will work- been a while since I did an IG video to MFP.

This is seriously impressive!
  • McCloud33
    edited February 2016
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

@DopeItUp I guess that depends on what you consider close-grip. I put the tip my thumbs on the break in the knurling and then grab the bar, so I end up being about 2-3" outside of that. It's slightly wider than shoulder width. I wouldn't call it wide, but I wouldn't consider it narrow either. I would consider narrow anything with my hands inside of that break.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    ash_law wrote: »
    I did 3 x 10 on my bench at 135- and that was a first in a long time doing such high reps on bench- not sure if this will work- been a while since I did an IG video to MFP.

This is seriously impressive!

thank you ;)
    I didn't actually know this till I got on here and had my *kitten* handed to me about something- apparently I have an abnormally big bench- I assumed most women could push around 135 (I said one time 135 was warm up weight) and I didn't realize I was being insulting LOL- so apparently I'm some sort of weird freak bencher LOL.

Now if I could get my DL up to your standards- we'd be on to something.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    ash_law wrote: »
    My past week of training started out well but ended poorly (see bench below). I am peaking for a meet so I was hitting heavy doubles last week.

Squat 275x2 - a little slow on the last rep, but successful:

Deadlift 335x2 - success:
    (the two reps are pasted together because my phone fell over but some girl picked my phone up while I was resetting for the second rep)

Bench 130x2 - epic fail:

Pardon my language, but bench is such a *kitten* for me, and it is already so low in relation to my squat and deadlift numbers, and it is also way low compared to what other girls in my weight class are benching. I am working on putting more mass on my upper body, but I need to fix the mental part too. Is there anyone here that used to have mental issues with bench but then got over them? If so, how did you accomplish that?

I like how your deadlift was heavy enough to knock over your phone on the first rep.
  • DopeItUp
    Options

@DopeItUp I guess that depends on what you consider close-grip. I put the tip my thumbs on the break in the knurling and then grab the bar, so I end up being about 2-3" outside of that. It's slightly wider than shoulder width. I wouldn't call it wide, but I wouldn't consider it narrow either. I would consider narrow anything with my hands inside of that break.

I was curious because it looks super narrow and your elbows are flaring massively which makes it further look like a close-grip bench. You'd probably benefit a lot from getting those elbows tucked better either way.
  • McCloud33
    Options

I was curious because it looks super narrow and your elbows are flaring massively which makes it further look like a close-grip bench. You'd probably benefit a lot from getting those elbows tucked better either way.

Bench seems to be by far my weakest lift. Maybe the elbows have something to do with that. Always something to work on. Thanks for pointing it out though.
  • DopeItUp
    Options

Bench seems to be by far my weakest lift. Maybe the elbows have something to do with that. Always something to work on. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Sure. Probably the #1 thing that helped my bench. :)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    @McCloud33 much better tightness in the back. Although I have to agree that your elbows are flaring like crazy.

@ash_law - I love your squat and deadlift! When it comes to bench, the biggest thing I see is a lack of consistency from rep to rep. When you're on, your groove is excellent. I'd love to see what simply more time under the bar does.