Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    @nakedraygun I usually only train the strict OHP, but this morning when I was done with that, I wondered how much my push press would be. I got 175 at a BW of 185, and you're tons stronger than I am, so with putting it back into your gym activities, you should be able to hit your goal before too long.

https://youtu.be/iOEtDKTmGl0
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    Proud of this and sharing everywhere. This paused 345lb PR is 10lbs more than my last tested T-N-G 1RM. It was a grinder, but it came up.

@_incogNEATo_ strong man right there...way to grind it up. When was that last T-N-G 1RM? That's a good jump especially going from TNG to paused.

Thanks everybody. Last tested tng was late November I believe. I have it written down somewhere.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Proud of this and sharing everywhere. This paused 345lb PR is 10lbs more than my last tested T-N-G 1RM. It was a grinder, but it came up.

Damn skippy!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Heck yeah!!!
    The battle was won!
    Excellent effort :)
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    @nakedraygun I usually only train the strict OHP, but this morning when I was done with that, I wondered how much my push press would be. I got 175 at a BW of 185, and you're tons stronger than I am, so with putting it back into your gym activities, you should be able to hit your goal before too long.

Rippetoe and a few others mention using the push press as a way to build explosive power. In fact, I've seen a couple of interviews that Rippetoe has done where that's all he advocates instead of strict OHP.
    Eventually I know I'm going to hit a wall with strict OHP (1rm strict is around 175). Once I've tapped that out I figure on switching to the push press and see how far I can take that.

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Rippetoe and a few others mention using the push press as a way to build explosive power. In fact, I've seen a couple of interviews that Rippetoe has done where that's all he advocates instead of strict OHP.
    Eventually I know I'm going to hit a wall with strict OHP (1rm strict is around 175). Once I've tapped that out I figure on switching to the push press and see how far I can take that.

Pendlay's a big fan, too.

I've heard him say in an interview that he would change powerlifting to include PP instead of bench. He also thinks it blows his lifters up when they do a lot if it in their programming...
    Options

Nicely done! I'd like to achieve that with the Press.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options

Thanks @piperdown44 @nakedraygun

My 1RM strict OHP is somewhere around 145-150 I think. If I practiced push press more, I think I could come close to 190-200. I think I could have driven a little more with my legs this morning and tried for 185.
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    2th1afaf6xv7.png
    ^ This kind of comment irks me.

When I started this thread to post videos of our lifts to share and talk shop I very consciously included clean & jerk and snatch because, after all, we are a community of lifters no matter what our chosen venue is. Guess what, "Functional Fitness" guy we can learn a lot from each other.

SMH
    Options

Thanks @piperdown44 @nakedraygun

My 1RM strict OHP is somewhere around 145-150 I think. If I practiced push press more, I think I could come close to 190-200. I think I could have driven a little more with my legs this morning and tried for 185.

Great thing when you're dedicated and want it, there is always the next training session. :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    2th1afaf6xv7.png

When I started this thread to post videos of our lifts to share and talk shop I very consciously included clean & jerk and snatch because, after all, we are a community of lifters no matter what our chosen venue is. Guess what, "Functional Fitness" guy we can learn a lot from each other.

SMH

Losers gonna lose.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    2th1afaf6xv7.png

SMH

There's always one....

Must have got lost and wandered in here by mistake! :smiley:
  • jimmmer
    edited February 2016
    Options
    After doing a bunch of other stuff (new OHS 1RM, new back squat rep PR), managed a new front squat 1RM: 105kg (~231lb?) @71kg bodyweight.

Got out of my groove a bit, and it all got a bit "dog poopy" in the top half, but I'll take it!

Also: 1st time squatting in Chucks for 14 months, which was a bit weird - but I'll get used to it, I'm sure.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    2th1afaf6xv7.png

SMH

There's always one....

Lol. Or just hasn't learned the number 1 life rule...
    ew9igsc5dbul.png

edited February 2016
    Options
    2th1afaf6xv7.png

SMH

There's always one....

And they wonder why people think CFer's are a bag of dicks -- and I am not one of them, but sometimes...
    edited February 2016
    Options
    After doing a bunch of other stuff (new OHS 1RM, new back squat rep PR), managed a new front squat 1RM: 105kg (~231lb?) @71kg bodyweight.

Got out of my groove a bit, and it all got a bit "dog poopy" in the top half, but I'll take it!

Also: 1st time squatting in Chucks for 14 months, which was a bit weird - but I'll get used to it, I'm sure.
    Nicely done Jimmer. Congrats on the PR too! But watch it, you might become too functional.
  • jimmmer
    Options

Nicely done Jimmer. Congrats on the PR too! But watch it, you might become too functional.

Thanks man! Was a bit weirded out to be squatting in chucks again (it does throw things off a bit going from a heel to a flat again), but was surprised when I started getting PRs all over the place. I would have expected my numbers to dive a bit - at least short term, while I re-grooved...

Anyway, what could be more functional than squatting stuff, picking stuff up and putting stuff overhead?

I guess we're all functional, after all?!

:smiley:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    2th1afaf6xv7.png

SMH

I took my ring around with the guy in the gaining section that once- I figured no one had commented we were collectively going to let it go LOL- he's clearly doucheymcdoucherson- but eh.

Back on topic- I generally include OHP_ only because I suck at it- If I had my druthers- I would do a push press- I prefer it to OHP. For several reasons- it's easier on my effed up elbows/shoulders and I can control my lordosis a little better- rather than winding up pushing with more back then leg as it gets heavier.

Also- it sucks struggling to push 85 pounds- seriously. Its embarrassing- no matter how much any one says don't mind (including myself) I still hate it. hate hate hate it.

Curse this vagina I have making me chronically weak.
    Options

Thanks man! Was a bit weirded out to be squatting in chucks again (it does throw things off a bit going from a heel to a flat again), but was surprised when I started getting PRs all over the place. I would have expected my numbers to dive a bit - at least short term, while I re-grooved...

Anyway, what could be more functional than squatting stuff, picking stuff up and putting stuff overhead?

I used to love skating in chucks because they had thin soles and I could feel the board better and thus maintain balance. I would chew threw chucks once every two weeks and have to spend another $20, but it was worth it.

But now, chucks lifting have way to much padding between me and the floor. Did they change construction? Didn't like it one bit then I bought the Reebok lifters and have been happy since.

Shhh Jimmer, we need to have unnecessarily petty divisions to feel superior about ourselves over others. Don't intercourse the system!
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Back on topic- I generally include OHP_ only because I suck at it- If I had my druthers- I would do a push press- I prefer it to OHP. For several reasons- it's easier on my effed up elbows/shoulders and I can control my lordosis a little better- rather than winding up pushing with more back then leg as it gets heavier.
    Push pressing is much easier on my shoulders too. My elbows are healthy again after almost ruining them performing upright rows. Terrible lift.