Anyone done the Wild Rose Detox

Options
1235»

Replies

• lichn
    lichn Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Because detoxes are unnecessary pretty and expensive boxes of woo made up of herbs that make claims that don't deliver.... the body doesn't need to detox. She IS right. There is very dangerous information on here, and a detox won't help with her condition.

OK look I do agree that the claims are overblown and that the concept of a "detox" is problematic. It's especially problematic to claim it can cure a serious illness without targeted treatment known to work for the condition. To be fair Wild Rose has never made any claims that their dtox kit cures UTI's or any other serious health condition. It's also possible that the OP misunderstood the advice she was given and that this doctor never claimed it would "cure" the condition but that it could help support the changes she needs to make alongside treatment. That would be reasonable.

The concept of "detox" aside, I find this particular plan works well for me. The diet is a sensible and nutritious basic elimination diet with no restrictions in how much you can eat, and the herbs help with water retention and digestion which some of us really do benefit from. Are detoxes necessary? Not really. But I like this one because having a set regimen intervenes in the habit of always finding a reason to eat those certain things (flour, dairy, sugar) "just this time" and in that modest period of time it reminds you that it's possible to cook delicious meals without those ingredients. You could do the diet without the herbs. But I find the herbs a beneficial supplement to the meal plan and when I've done this cleanse (I'm doing it now) I feel energized and refreshed. The herbs aren't necessarily the right blend for everyone and people should do their research on what the ingredients are and what they do. But it isn't necessary for people to pile on the thread like chickens with their heads cut off freaking out about how bad it is when they say, and I quote, that they "won't even google it" because they already know it's awful.

I take issue with how the OP was treated in this thread because it was just a big gang pile on of people treating her with such incredible contempt and rudeness. The atmosphere in this forum is horrifically toxic. There's a narrow line of acceptable discourse and if you step off the path in the slightest people will gang beat you into submission or drive you away from participating. It's disgusting.

We're all adults here and we should know how to treat other people with respect even when we believe they are misguided.
  • lichn
    edited June 2016
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I haven't done that detox, but I have used many of Dr. Schulze's products. Especially for chronic UTIs, I've used his kidney/bladder drops and tea. You can look for his herbal formulas at herbdoc.com and decide for yourself.

Just no. Looking through some of those products and they can be DEADLY.

On the website "blockage is the root of all disease"- no no no.

This is just another snake oil salesman who's products can actually be dangerous. Avoid!

ETA- this guy states his products are gluten free, even though some have wheat and barley. Definitely not someone you want to be taking advice from.

I've never heard of Dr. Schulze before so I just looked him up. He looks hokey as all hell and I'd never buy his stuff, but the ingredients in these products are not "DEADLY." Take a chill pill already. This guy is ridiculous but the ingredients are fairly mild pedestrian stuff. Save your OMG DEADLY panic attack for when you find someone schilling something actually deadly, like Monkshood or Belladonna.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    lichn wrote: »
    I haven't done that detox, but I have used many of Dr. Schulze's products. Especially for chronic UTIs, I've used his kidney/bladder drops and tea. You can look for his herbal formulas at herbdoc.com and decide for yourself.

This is just another snake oil salesman who's products can actually be dangerous. Avoid!

ETA- this guy states his products are gluten free, even though some have wheat and barley. Definitely not someone you want to be taking advice from.

I've never heard of Dr. Schulze before so I just looked him up. He looks hokey as all hell and I'd never buy his stuff, but the ingredients in these products are not "DEADLY." Take a chill pill already. This guy is ridiculous but the ingredients are fairly mild pedestrian stuff. Save your OMG DEADLY panic attack for when you find someone schilling something actually deadly, like Monkshood or Belladonna.

So you are completely fine with him claiming wheat and barley are gluten free?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Because detoxes are unnecessary pretty and expensive boxes of woo made up of herbs that make claims that don't deliver.... the body doesn't need to detox. She IS right. There is very dangerous information on here, and a detox won't help with her condition.

OK look I do agree that the claims are overblown and that the concept of a "detox" is problematic. It's especially problematic to claim it can cure a serious illness without targeted treatment known to work for the condition. To be fair Wild Rose has never made any claims that their dtox kit cures UTI's or any other serious health condition. It's also possible that the OP misunderstood the advice she was given and that this doctor never claimed it would "cure" the condition but that it could help support the changes she needs to make alongside treatment. That would be reasonable.

The concept of "detox" aside, I find this particular plan works well for me. The diet is a sensible and nutritious basic elimination diet with no restrictions in how much you can eat, and the herbs help with water retention and digestion which some of us really do benefit from. Are detoxes necessary? Not really. But I like this one because having a set regimen intervenes in the habit of always finding a reason to eat those certain things (flour, dairy, sugar) "just this time" and in that modest period of time it reminds you that it's possible to cook delicious meals without those ingredients. You could do the diet without the herbs. But I find the herbs a beneficial supplement to the meal plan and when I've done this cleanse (I'm doing it now) I feel energized and refreshed. The herbs aren't necessarily the right blend for everyone and people should do their research on what the ingredients are and what they do. But it isn't necessary for people to pile on the thread like chickens with their heads cut off freaking out about how bad it is when they say, and I quote, that they "won't even google it" because they already know it's awful.

I take issue with how the OP was treated in this thread because it was just a big gang pile on of people treating her with such incredible contempt and rudeness. The atmosphere in this forum is horrifically toxic. There's a narrow line of acceptable discourse and if you step off the path in the slightest people will gang beat you into submission or drive you away from participating. It's disgusting.

We're all adults here and we should know how to treat other people with respect even when we believe they are misguided.

Why would you pick an old thread to argue over? The OP is long gone (although I would like to know what she decided and how it went). Save your mean people thread for a fresh one. All cleanses and detox threads are treated this way to discourage people from wasting their time and money. They are a fad right now--that's it. Glad you are feeling so fine, but alot of people wind up in the bathroom for days and some wind up in the emergency room. We don't want that, now do we?
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

This thread was started in January and was dead until you posted in it recently at the end of page 2. The people you are taking issue with are not here now, so what's the point of dredging up an old thread to complain about it?

• lichn
    Options

Oh no, that's ridiculous! Sorry, I somehow missed the last sentence of your post. The herbal ingredients are totally fine but that is not OK.
  • lichn
    edited June 2016
    Options

Why would you pick an old thread to argue over? The OP is long gone (although I would like to know what she decided and how it went). Save your mean people thread for a fresh one. All cleanses and detox threads are treated this way to discourage people from wasting their time and money. They are a fad right now--that's it. Glad you are feeling so fine, but alot of people wind up in the bathroom for days and some wind up in the emergency room. We don't want that, now do we?

I found this thread because I was searching for threads on the Wild Rose cleanse specifically, to see if I could find some accounts of peoples experiences or recipe ideas and this was what I found instead. It IS possible to discourage practices that are actually dangerous without attacking or degrading the person who asked about it, or painting all plans with the same brush without any knowledge behind it. Someone should be able to bring this up without having their thread coopted by people screaming at them about how their doctor should be in jail.

People who "end up in the bathroom for days" should halve, quarter, or cut out the laxative blend. There's no reason to torture yourself if you're more sensitive to it than other people. As with anything you try, be it herbal supplements, new medication, exercise, or diet you should always carefully monitor how its effecting you and recognize when it's too hard on you. When you take new meds that hit you way harder than expected a doctor will tell you to reduce your dose. It's always about finding what works for your particular body.
  • worsthorse
    worsthorse Posts: 73 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    People on this site are so vicious. The Wild Rose cleanse is nothing more than a sensible back to basics "clean eating" meal plan [...] The contents of the herbal supplements are all common and safe, no weird "miracle cure" crap here.

well... it is called a cleanse for a reason. not a good reason and certainly not one based on any sort of evidence that it cleanses anything of anything or, say, cures urinary tract infections. maybe its called that because doing so encourages people to believe that taking the supplements cleans something of something and therefore said supplements are something one should pay for.

second, oddly enough, the best way to stop eating certain foods is to, well, stop eating them. which is probably why one gives up bread and cheese whenever one stops eating flour and dairy products - rather than the result of taking herbs, magical or otherwise - though that is just a wild guess on my part.

as for the post right above that... "everyone knows that your liver and kidney can only handle so many toxins" i don't even know where to start with the so-very-many things wrong with that statement...
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    People on this site are so vicious. The Wild Rose cleanse is nothing more than a sensible back to basics "clean eating" meal plan [...] The contents of the herbal supplements are all common and safe, no weird "miracle cure" crap here.

well... it is called a cleanse for a reason. not a good reason and certainly not one based on any sort of evidence that it cleanses anything of anything or, say, cures urinary tract infections. maybe its called that because doing so encourages people to believe that taking the supplements cleans something of something and therefore said supplements are something one should pay for.

second, oddly enough, the best way to stop eating certain foods is to, well, stop eating them. which is probably why one gives up bread and cheese whenever one stops eating flour and dairy products - rather than the result of taking herbs, magical or otherwise - though that is just a wild guess on my part.

as for the post right above that... "everyone knows that your liver and kidney can only handle so many toxins" i don't even know where to start with the so-very-many things wrong with that statement...

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm to indicate that the entire post was tongue in cheek.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options

Oh no, that's ridiculous! Sorry, I somehow missed the last sentence of your post. The herbal ingredients are totally fine but that is not OK.

Maybe you are misunderstanding the ingredients. I'm pretty sure he only uses wheat grass and barley grass, which are gluten free. Only the seed kernel, the endosperm, contains gluten, not the stem and leaves.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I found this thread because I was searching for threads on the Wild Rose cleanse specifically, to see if I could find some accounts of peoples experiences or recipe ideas and this was what I found instead. It IS possible to discourage practices that are actually dangerous without attacking or degrading the person who asked about it, or painting all plans with the same brush without any knowledge behind it. Someone should be able to bring this up without having their thread coopted by people screaming at them about how their doctor should be in jail.

People who "end up in the bathroom for days" should halve, quarter, or cut out the laxative blend. There's no reason to torture yourself if you're more sensitive to it than other people. As with anything you try, be it herbal supplements, new medication, exercise, or diet you should always carefully monitor how its effecting you and recognize when it's too hard on you. When you take new meds that hit you way harder than expected a doctor will tell you to reduce your dose. It's always about finding what works for your particular body.

You must be new here. There are cleanse-detox threads on the boards everyday. The people posting are convinced that these are healthy and will "kick-start" their weightloss. The" 21 day cleanse" is a favorite, if you want to do some more searching. Sometimes we get an honest poster that tells how they wound up in the emergency room. Alot of people JUST DON'T KNOW and buy into the hype. Alot never tell how it went. I assume if they spent more than a week in the bathroom, they're too embarrassed to come back and tell. I always ask them to come back and let us know how it went. If you look at the "screaming posters" that are "degrading" the OP, you'll usually find that they have alot of posts--and are experienced MFPers. I would listen to them and not criticize them, since they know what they're talking about.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Did the OP ever come back?

I'm not sure how a laxative can be considered as part of an elimination diet. The idea of an elimination diet is to reduce the consumption of things that might upset the intestinal balance, not to increase gastric distress and pooping.

The food items recommended in this "elimination" diet are fine but they aren't part of an elimination diet - onions and fruit with skin are a no-no in a true elimination diet as the cellulose content is can cause issues. Call this diet something else.